Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Thanks for sharing that story. I don’t doubt it happened pretty much as your mentor described.

The internet makes it difficult to tell if you’re being sarcastic, but my mentor’s an ASC member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Shout! Factory announcement:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-mangler?product_id=6925

Has anyone seen this? The credits pique my interest, but I'm hearing pretty bad things about it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Has anyone seen this? The credits pique my interest, but I'm hearing pretty bad things about it.

The Mangler is awful, even from a perspective that's very forgiving when it comes to trash horror. It's a weaker King story already, and as a movie it's one of Hooper's worst, which is saying something with poo poo like Night Terrors and the pilot to Freddy's Nightmares under his belt. The only saving graces are the gore and Robert Englund hamming it up big time. He was the only guy who seemed to know what this was.

I never saw the two sequels.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Origami Dali posted:

The Mangler is awful, even from a perspective that's very forgiving when it comes to trash horror. It's a weaker King story already, and as a movie it's one of Hooper's worst, which is saying something with poo poo like Night Terrors and the pilot to Freddy's Nightmares under his belt. The only saving graces are the gore and Robert Englund hamming it up big time. He was the only guy who seemed to know what this was.

I never saw the two sequels.

I always thought that the short story was an interesting concept, but it wasn't anything that you could make a single movie about, let alone three :psyduck:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Boinks posted:

I'm not upgrading my first release Blu Ray of Dracula until they fix the framing.

Wait, what was wrong with it? I hadn't seen the film in around two years so I didn't notice anything rewatching it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I'm gonna be on the complete other side of this and say that The Mangler is fantastic. Features a wonderfully campy performance from Robert Englund.

On the scale of Hooper's movies, I'd actually place it just below stuff like The Funhouse. The central metaphor of the movies is Sam Fuller's levels of blunt. And it's hilarious.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

JebanyPedal posted:

Wait, what was wrong with it? I hadn't seen the film in around two years so I didn't notice anything rewatching it.

The entire movie has been reframed slightly up and to the left. It wouldn't be a huge deal but it changes this scene because you don't see that Dracula notices Mina, and it just bugs me that it's not supposed to be framed that way.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Boinks posted:

The entire movie has been reframed slightly up and to the left. It wouldn't be a huge deal but it changes this scene because you don't see that Dracula notices Mina, and it just bugs me that it's not supposed to be framed that way.

Goddamn. So many fuckups permeate the world of Blu-Ray. For every revelation, there’s an abomination. Now, I don’t particularly care for that film and probably haven’t even seen it in 20 years or more. But this kind of thing makes me so mad, on principle. If it’s a film you love, it’s gotta be painful to know they’ve mucked about with framing. Anyway, Storaro can eat a dick. That guy has an awful history with home video.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

VoodooXT posted:

The internet makes it difficult to tell if you’re being sarcastic, but my mentor’s an ASC member.

Zero sarcasm intended. I’ve worked in features for maybe 14 years or so. Only career I’ve ever had. Love stories like this, and I probably have a million of them myself. I appreciated the sharing, as simple as that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's a movie about an evil washing machine.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Zero sarcasm intended. I’ve worked in features for maybe 14 years or so. Only career I’ve ever had. Love stories like this, and I probably have a million of them myself. I appreciated the sharing, as simple as that.

Ah okay, the Internet™ is hard. :downs:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Goddamn. So many fuckups permeate the world of Blu-Ray. For every revelation, there’s an abomination. Now, I don’t particularly care for that film and probably haven’t even seen it in 20 years or more. But this kind of thing makes me so mad, on principle. If it’s a film you love, it’s gotta be painful to know they’ve mucked about with framing. Anyway, Storaro can eat a dick. That guy has an awful history with home video.

Michael Ballhaus shot Dracula.

Also, given Sony’s stellar track record with their 4K work, the remaster is more likely the correct one.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

It's a movie about an evil washing machine.

Sold. I think?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Bad Boys looks phenomenal in 4k and now I want a UHD release for The Rock.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It seems like UHD has been an overwhelming success in terms of a/v quality - have there been any duds besides Terminator 2?

What are some good UHD player models? I have until October when 2001 arrives, but I've been completely holding off new releases in anticipation of going directly to 4K.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Goddamnit you assholes are NOT getting extremely close to convincing me to drop $3k on a new TV + UHD player. It's not happening...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

It seems like UHD has been an overwhelming success in terms of a/v quality - have there been any duds besides Terminator 2?

What are some good UHD player models? I have until October when 2001 arrives, but I've been completely holding off new releases in anticipation of going directly to 4K.

As far as non-new releases go, yea they've been pretty consistently great. It's the newer stuff that's typically upscaled 4k, where there was also likely a very solid 1080p blu ray release, where you aren't going to be quite as blown away. Like Kingsmen for instance, sure it looks great in UHD but it also looked amazing on regular blu ray so the difference isn't quite as huge as the last time you may have watched Bad Boys or The Quick and the Dead or The Matrix.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Goddamnit you assholes are NOT getting extremely close to convincing me to drop $3k on a new TV + UHD player. It's not happening...

You can get a nice 60-65 inch t.v. for much less than that now. You really shouldn't have to spend that much unless you're gonna go all out with like a Sony 75 inch model, or if you're going to spend hundreds of extra dollars on fancy installation.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Can't help but notice all these film-shot, pre-DI 90s movies are UHD's jam

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

You can get a nice 60-65 inch t.v. for much less than that now. You really shouldn't have to spend that much unless you're gonna go all out with like a Sony 75 inch model, or if you're going to spend hundreds of extra dollars on fancy installation.

Well I have a few specific wants. It's gotta be OLED, and it's gotta be at least 65 inches. From what I've researched that puts me at $2k minimum, with the highest rated models closer to $3k.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Can't help but notice all these film-shot, pre-DI 90s movies are UHD's jam

It helps that most of these 4K masters of film-based movies are part of ongoing preservation projects, especially from Sony, Warner, and Fox.

Pretty much any 4K from Sony is from a larger project of creating new negatives and prints so that the camera originals won't need to be handled again.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m somewhat arbitrarily holding out for variable refresh rates on the LG OLEDs (although I’m not sure it actually matters for movies), but I’m looking forward to 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, and BR2049 on UHD.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Egbert Souse posted:

I’ve got the LG UP970, which I bought in a combo with 3 UHD discs for ~$200. It’s a region-locked player (so you’ll need to keep a Region B machine around), but it’s one of the few reasonably-priced machines that did Dolby Vision. No problems so far - everything’s very quick to load, and the films themselves look great.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

oneforthevine posted:

I’ve got the LG UP970, which I bought in a combo with 3 UHD discs for ~$200. It’s a region-locked player (so you’ll need to keep a Region B machine around), but it’s one of the few reasonably-priced machines that did Dolby Vision. No problems so far - everything’s very quick to load, and the films themselves look great.
That's what we put in at my mom's house and we've been really happy with it. Unless something better comes along I'll probably get the same when I get my own 4K tv for Black Friday.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

That's what we put in at my mom's house and we've been really happy with it. Unless something better comes along I'll probably get the same when I get my own 4K tv for Black Friday.

Yea everyone I'm sure is keeping in mind that we're into September already, so like 6 weeks from now the deals will be better than they are today.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Be careful when it comes to the Black Friday specials, as the big box stores tend to put out versions with lower quality components to meet the pricing

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Egbert Souse posted:

Michael Ballhaus shot Dracula.

Ah, did he?! Jeez. Showing my ignorance. I really didn’t care for the film, and just assumed it was Storaro since the last time I gave it a moment’s thought was so long ago that I probably didn’t know what a cinematographer was - let alone who shot what!

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, given Sony’s stellar track record with their 4K work, the remaster is more likely the correct one.

I’d normally be the first to credit Sony for their usually top shelf work, but they’ve hosed up a lot of releases IMO, were a big part of the early days of the entire format being nearly botched. Yes, when they go back and fix stuff, they usually get it right. And that may be the case here! But I don’t assume so, and frankly, don’t care to investigate any deeper on this one. If Coppola himself blessed this latest pass, it’s meaningless. I’ve worked with enough directors - including some who are on his level - and heard enough from colleagues who’ve worked with others, to know that in many cases there is really no definitive answer to these things. The “finished” version is often a moving target, and only remains the definitive edition until the next round of notes and revisions. So whether the new Dracula is the “finally, as it was intended” presentation or not, my point was that there are too many films for which that label is unfortunately applied to something deeply compromised. I’ve got a stack of them. The ratio of good Blu-Rays to bad is a positive one, no doubt. But it sure is a bummer when they mess one up, because the best case scenario is buying it again years later - or in many cases not getting that opportunity at all.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Spatulater bro! posted:

Sold. I think?

It's also a plot point that a refrigerator is possessed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The "worst" Blu-Ray I have is American Graffiti. It's not terrible but the DNR is pretty obvious. Other than that all my stuff is pretty good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

The "worst" Blu-Ray I have is American Graffiti. It's not terrible but the DNR is pretty obvious. Other than that all my stuff is pretty good.

Aside from Predator and that first French Connection blu-ray I haven't heard of any other are inexcusably awful and even when you look up reviews on blu-ray.com or where ever the reviews is basically a lot of words that say "It's not as good as (insert fancy publisher or release here) but it's still better than the DVD/the best this has looked on home video.".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing with 4k that I've noticed is that it helps if you're willing to accept some inconsistency. Not a lot, but like for instance with Predator, there are shots here and there where I do think they went overboard with the grain. But by and large it looks way better than any previous release of the film, so you enjoy what you get and be happy with it. Same with The Quick and The Dead, 99% of the shots look fantastic, then there's a small handful where I think the grain is too oppressive. It's well worth it because when it's working it really is working.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

One thing with 4k that I've noticed is that it helps if you're willing to accept some inconsistency. Not a lot, but like for instance with Predator, there are shots here and there where I do think they went overboard with the grain. But by and large it looks way better than any previous release of the film, so you enjoy what you get and be happy with it. Same with The Quick and The Dead, 99% of the shots look fantastic, then there's a small handful where I think the grain is too oppressive. It's well worth it because when it's working it really is working.

Isn't this just the higher resolution making the grain that's naturally there more apparent? Or is something else going on?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Spatulater bro! posted:

Well I have a few specific wants. It's gotta be OLED, and it's gotta be at least 65 inches. From what I've researched that puts me at $2k minimum, with the highest rated models closer to $3k.

OLED is worth it.
When I watched Mad Max: Fury Road and it reached the part where Max narrates a short bit over a black screen at the start, my entire room was pitch black, none of that black-grey from a regular LED or the low wash of the backlight, just Hardy's weird grumbly voice in an eerie darkness. Then that first opening shot blasted out from my TV, almost blinded me.

Watching some other films like It Comes at Night with the flashlights in the dark was also nuts, basically nothing illuminated except the flashlight and where it's shining.

The pure blacks really had much more of a profound effect than I thought they would.

That being said, unless you have a blacked out theater area (which I did specifically for this set) it won't be nearly as impressive in that regard, it also doesn't get as bright as regular LEDs (which I don't personally care about since I take great pains to accurately calibrate my TVs and generally prefer watching at less eye searing settings).

Games also look fantastic if you're a gamer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Isn't this just the higher resolution making the grain that's naturally there more apparent? Or is something else going on?

Right, but the philosophy in the past would've been to just clean it all up with DNR, which led to a whole other set of problems. I'd much rather deal with a few odd scenes of the resolution showing too much of the grain than a complete disaster like what we had with Predator's previous blu ray release. Like, yea that Predator blu ray was more "consistent", if you don't mind something consistently terrible.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I didn’t see Predator until this past Christmas because I refused to watch that hosed up Blu Ray and refused to go standard def.

Just my every so often reminder that we still don’t have The Abyss on Blu Ray. Another film I haven’t seen because I wanna see it in high def.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Never? I mean Predator is a classic, and I haven't seen the Abyss in at least 25 years, it's just weird that someone hasn't seen either by now

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, it just never happened and now I want the “best” experience possible. Worked out, got to see a 35mm of Predator that was in pretty decent shape w about 90 other people.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

CPL593H posted:

Aside from Predator and that first French Connection blu-ray I haven't heard of any other are inexcusably awful and even when you look up reviews on blu-ray.com or where ever the reviews is basically a lot of words that say "It's not as good as (insert fancy publisher or release here) but it's still better than the DVD/the best this has looked on home video.".

The first (MGM) Terminator Blu-Ray was probably the third BD I ever got and it was a loving mess. Yes, still better than the old DVDs, but then, too it also had the terrible 5.1 remix. Bummer city since it’s maybe my favorite film of all time. The reissue, from a 4K scan and cleanup of the negative at Lowry, was color timed from scratch and has hosed up colors. Also (IIRC) still stuck with the 5.1 remix. I’ve bought that loving film 5 times, and not because I am some kind of weirdo who needs to have every edition of my favorite film(s). There is no adequate “definitive” edition. Sony famously hosed up The Fifth Element, Robocop, Leon, Ghostbusters, and others which were all (at the time) eagerly awaited “must have” or “favorite” upgrades to look forward to on the new format. This is ancient history at this point. In many cases the problems have been fixed, at least somewhat, and discs have been reissued. But there’s loads more, from every studio, and it’s a real pain in the loving rear end to buy again and again, especially when the ignorant hyperbole spouted by reviewers usually takes the form of “yes, this has issues, but at least it’s significantly better than the DVD and in all probability is the best the film will ever look on home video”. Even the so-called boutique labels are constantly loving up classics. Which edition of Carpenter’s The Thing is “definitive”? If I want to watch The Silence of the Lambs, am I better off watching the overly soft, MPEG-2 artifacted MGM BD, or the overly sharpened, revised colors, MPEG-4 artifacted Criterion BD? What about The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? These are but a handful of the titles in my collection where I keep spending money to get the latest and greatest, and I keep finding faults.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Predator is a movie I don’t feel very compelled to upgrade past the DVD I have despite it being one of my favorite “anytime” movies - it’s the perfect combination of stupid 80s ultra-macho barely-contained homoeroticism and pure awesomeness. It looks pretty grainy even on DVD at times so I can imagine the BR is a mixed bag.

My favorite experience with that movie will always be seeing it at 30,000 feet. This was during the weird transitionary time when everyone had their own screen but you couldn’t yet pick what to watch on-demand. Low and behold, loving Predator starts playing and I’m like hell yeah. As the credits are rolling the screen goes blank and then attendants announce that the system will be offline for the remainder of the flight. Movie was so badass it broke the system.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The first (MGM) Terminator Blu-Ray was probably the third BD I ever got and it was a loving mess. Yes, still better than the old DVDs, but then, too it also had the terrible 5.1 remix. Bummer city since it’s maybe my favorite film of all time. The reissue, from a 4K scan and cleanup of the negative at Lowry, was color timed from scratch and has hosed up colors. Also (IIRC) still stuck with the 5.1 remix. I’ve bought that loving film 5 times, and not because I am some kind of weirdo who needs to have every edition of my favorite film(s). There is no adequate “definitive” edition. Sony famously hosed up The Fifth Element, Robocop, Leon, Ghostbusters, and others which were all (at the time) eagerly awaited “must have” or “favorite” upgrades to look forward to on the new format. This is ancient history at this point. In many cases the problems have been fixed, at least somewhat, and discs have been reissued. But there’s loads more, from every studio, and it’s a real pain in the loving rear end to buy again and again, especially when the ignorant hyperbole spouted by reviewers usually takes the form of “yes, this has issues, but at least it’s significantly better than the DVD and in all probability is the best the film will ever look on home video”. Even the so-called boutique labels are constantly loving up classics. Which edition of Carpenter’s The Thing is “definitive”? If I want to watch The Silence of the Lambs, am I better off watching the overly soft, MPEG-2 artifacted MGM BD, or the overly sharpened, revised colors, MPEG-4 artifacted Criterion BD? What about The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? These are but a handful of the titles in my collection where I keep spending money to get the latest and greatest, and I keep finding faults.

Yeah, honestly I forgot how often the color grading issues happen. Also, wasn't the most recent RoboCop blu-ray supposed to have fixed the issues of the original one as well as having been approved by Paul Verhoeven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, honestly I forgot how often the color grading issues happen. Also, wasn't the most recent RoboCop blu-ray supposed to have fixed the issues of the original one as well as having been approved by Paul Verhoeven?

I have the most recent Robocop and it’s fine. I was given the original BD as a gift, and when I bought the new one I gave the old one to a friend who doesn’t freak out about this stuff. He gets all my old poo poo once I’ve upgraded. I’ve owned at least 5 or 6 copies of Robocop and can safely say I’ll never buy it again, unless I lose my current one. I bought the Criterion DVD twice because I lent it to a friend who never gave it back. That used to happen a lot. I’ve had VHS, then two copies of the Criterion, then at least one studio DVD - the tin - because it had the extras ported from the Criterion and two cuts in addition to an anamorphic transfer, then the original BD, and finally the remastered BD. That’s six copies, if not more. Part of why this is frustrating is is that the money would have been better spent on different films.