Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Reiley posted:

Why settle for twelve buttons when you can play a Real Game and slap so many more?

It's tournament legal, if you're brave enough to take up the challenge.

i can't believe they made such an elaborate controller for Slap City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Lant posted:

Real question about hitboxes, are they only really "better" for capcom games? Because I know a dude that uses a hitbox for Cross Tag and you can't really do the dumb stuff like the 4628 motion for a 360.

They make Korean back dash in Tekken almost trivially easy to do. Other than that, it's really a matter of preference and what you're used to. I got one because I played keyboard for so long.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

b_d posted:

anyway, cross tag only uses quarter circles (except tager whose grab supers you can do with 720s for a little extra damage :blastu: )

Guess who I play

Really churning the butter for the 720 isn't very hard the only times you really want to get it out you have plenty of time to buffer it.

Lant fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 4, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zand posted:

i can't believe they made such an elaborate controller for Slap City

slap city deserves it. bless that mess

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Isn't doing a 720 on a hitbox basically just a piano input?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Inputs on hitbox are easier. It's a fact, not an opinion. 0 travel time as opposed to some travel time means a hitbox is just going to be more straightforward, but it can also just be weird to adjust to if you used pad or stick for like a decade already, and also using a hitbox isn't just going to make you magically better by default or anything.

Also bringing a hitbox to a tourney is annoying as hell because you have to unplug it after every match so it doesn't time out or whatever. gently caress hitbox users!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
more like hitbox LOSERS

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

hitbox.. more like poo poo sux.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think hitboxes are important for fighting games because how else are the guys going to take damage?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
hitboxes are completely optional

source: salty bet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pomp posted:

more like hitbox LOSERS

This is what I'm talking about

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Reiley posted:

Why settle for twelve buttons when you can play a Real Game and slap so many more?

It's tournament legal, if you're brave enough to take up the challenge.

Isn't it only legal for CEO and Evo right now? Idk what other big smash majors are coming up, but I just read the rules for Big House 8 and they still explicitly ban the smashbox and I don't see any other big news about it changing from it's previous bannings

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wheres the half of a game cube controller bondo'd to a box?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Soul Calibur 6 FAQ is up on Steam. In summary - two story modes (Chronicle & Libra), one as-yet unannounced single-player mode, at least one more guest character planned, you get Tira for buying the season pass so you don't need to pre-order to ever see her, a second season pass depends on how well the game performs, no lootboxes, can use custom characters in ranked(!)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What about custom characters in tournaments though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, you can use Geralt's style for customs.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I figure due to how you'd have to set that up, it'd just be easier to do it as a side event. As of now, you can only share characters with friends, but you could create an account for the event that participants could friend and share with beforehand.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

how you gonna get your character on every console you need to play on?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
You can alter your character's height/reach, which presumably changes spacing. From this alone, customs in tournaments wouldn't happen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

how you gonna get your character on every console you need to play on?

As I mentioned, there IS character sharing, but so far it's only between friends, so it'd take some prep work.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

This is cool I like this.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

inthesto posted:

You can alter your character's height/reach, which presumably changes spacing. From this alone, customs in tournaments wouldn't happen.

If this is true then yeah customs in tournaments will be too much to deal with. Glad to hear another guest character is confirmed and I really hope it's Zoro from once Piece, he would be too perfect for a weapons fighter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

inthesto posted:

hopefully I can make my dream fighting game character, a dwarf with 8 ft long arms

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i feel like the height/reach thing would be workable if you just set a couple of different tournament-legal standards for it that people can prepare for and practice against. like, not necessarily even with the goal of them all being perfectly optimal, just to reduce the available options for it from infinity to like three or four.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

that’s so complicated dude. if those are separate parameters you already have 4 permutations if there are two legal values for each, and more if the real character is different. that’s like a hundred million characters

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing a single Smash 4 tournament with custom moves, is that something that immediately got written off or did people actually try to make it work for a little while?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing a single Smash 4 tournament with custom moves, is that something that immediately got written off or did people actually try to make it work for a little while?

We tried it up through the first EVO and it was not worth all the headache to get it going. Also we made miis tournament legal with a standard base moveset and default neutral height and weight, if you'd like a glimpse into the crystal ball.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

people tried to make it work by saving the most-voted-on configurations for each character on every tournament setup but it was a huge amount of work even to set up the profiles let alone unlock the moves , which was random and bullshit. I think after a month or two everyone agreed it was just not worth the effort

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
AFAIK nintendo never made an easy way to unlock all the custom moves either, like a cheat code or something, so you just had to grind and hope. obviously this was unacceptable for tournaments where there were 50+ characters and each had 16 unlockable moves

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

b_d posted:

that’s so complicated dude. if those are separate parameters you already have 4 permutations if there are two legal values for each, and more if the real character is different. that’s like a hundred million characters

i mean, stuff with the real character can just be left open unless some really broken poo poo comes out, in which case you ban it

like this isn't super super hard it just takes some effort (and probably requires anyone using a custom to submit their custom to TOs in advance)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, stuff with the real character can just be left open unless some really broken poo poo comes out, in which case you ban it

like this isn't super super hard it just takes some effort (and probably requires anyone using a custom to submit their custom to TOs in advance)

send this poo poo to any TO in the world and see what they say

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The character update for FEXL is out, here are the patch notes: https://www.facebook.com/ARIKAOfficial/posts/508794062917483

quote:

[Ver 1.1.0 Adjustments, Fixes, Changes]

-The following Gougi were adjusted:
-Aggro
-Desperation
-Meter Power
-Heads or Tails
-EX Arrow

-The makeup of the Babel Deck was changed.

-The Corner system was fixed.

-The range on Cross-ups was fixed.

-The following Normals were adjusted:

-Shirase (stMP)
-Kairi (stHP, crHP)
-Garuda (stMP, crHP)
-Skullomania (crHP)
-Doctrine Dark (crHP)
-Blaire (crHP)
-Jack (crHP)
-Shadowgeist (crHP)
-Hayate (crHP)
-Sanane (stMP, stHP, crHP)
-Hokuto (stMP)

-The follow Characters had certain Special Moves adjusted:

-Kairi
-Garuda
-Allen
-Skullomania
-Shirase
-Hokuto

Shirase, Hokuto
-The move [Shin] had its invincibility time altered and it is now Throwable.

Garuda
- Kienbu's hitbox has been adjusted.

Darun
- [Darun Catch] was adjusted.
-His hurtbox while in a blowback state was adjusted.
-[Twilight Lariat] was adjusted.

Doctrine Dark
-MP, MK, HP, HK all had their damage adjusted.
--His hurtbox while in a blowback state was adjusted.
-[EX Prominence] had its hit property adjusted.

Skullomania
-[Skullohead] had its Damage adjusted.
-[Skullodive] had its Damage adjusted.

Blaire
-MP, MK, HP, HK all had their damage adjusted.
-crHP was adjusted on hit.
- [Sliding Arrow] will now work on opponents who have Hades activated.

Jack
-[Crazy Jack Upper] was adjusted on hit.

Sanane
-Along with the new changes to the corner system, [Kasumi-Oroshi] has been adjusted.

Hayate
-LP and MP versions of [Kamaitachi] had their startup frames adjusted.
-HP version of [Kamaitachi] had its damage adjusted.
-[Oborozuki] had its damage adjusted.
- [Tsumujikagerou: Kyoku] had its damage adjusted.
*[Kamaitachi] also had its animation corrected.

-The situations after the following Throws were adjusted.

-Kairi: Forward Throw
-Shirase: Forward Throw, Back Throw
-Allen: Forward Throw
-Jack: Command Throw
-Blaire: Forward Throw, Back Throw
-Sanane: Forward Throw, Back Throw
-Hokuto: Forward Throw, Back Throw

-An error where one would end up behind their opponent after Throwing them in the corner was fixed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Text Messages were added to Arcade Mode.

-2 additional Characters (Rosso, Pullum) were added.

-The voice actors for Pullum and Rossi have been added to the Credits.

-Expert Missions were added for Rosso and Pullum.

-Color Type A for Rosso and Pullum has been added. *Color Type: Gold has not been added.

-CPU versions of Rosso and Pullum were added.

-2 additional Stages were added. (There are variations of these Stages, so 4 were added in total.)

-The appearance conditions for certain CPU opponents in Arcade Mode have been changed.

-Sanane’s move [YAYOI TOUGONGI] was difficult to see on some stages, so the shading has been fixed.

-The Player Information display has been fixed when entering a Casual Match.

-Fixes to 1-Bar Connections: As a test in Ver1.1.0, 1-Bar Connections will be able to match with others and appear on search results so long as they meet their opponent’s search criteria.

▼Fixes to the Fighting Game Engine

-Invincibility was added to the recovery period after teching a Throw.

-Fixed an issue where Garuda’s [KIENBU] would slow down when moving forward.

-Fixed an issue where D.Dark’s [Dark Shackle] would grab opponents who were not supposed to be able to be grabbed..

-Fixed an issue where Hard Attack (Guard Break) was not being affected by the Gougi [Critical].

-Fixed an issue where the effect of Critical would reset the moment a Command Throw was used.

-The effect of Disrupt was fixed so [Throws are not affected by increases to Attack Power. They will only consume 1 bar of Super Meter.]

-Fixed an issue where Easy Combos would come out after inputting Command Normals from a Dash.

▼Fixes to the System

-Fixed an issue in Training Mode where setting a CPU opponent without meter to perform a reversal Super Combo would cause them to perform the action the moment they built up enough meter.

-Fixed an issue where CPU opponents were able to block moves on landing that they should not have been able to block.

-Fixed an issue where the Reversal message wasn’t shown after performing repeated Reversal attacks.

-Fixed an issue where continuing to search above your own rank on the Leaderboard would cause an connection error.

-Fixed an issue where both players would get desynced at the start of a Ranked Match.

-Fixed a rare issue where players would proceed to the game even after receiving a time-out error in an Online Match.

▼Other
-Fixed an issue where a small memory leak would occur when going to different screens from the Main Menu.

-Fixed an issue where the effects in the Intro would disappear 1F before the Intro ended.

-Fixed an issue where your character would slide across the screen during their intro against Shadowgeist.

-Fixed an issue where the game wouldn’t proceed to the Victory Screen after KO’ing an opponent with D.Dark’s back throw.

-Fixed an issue where the cursor would disappear from the Option menu in Training Mode.

-Fixed an issue where the tabs would go dark in the Option menu in Training Mode.

-Fixed an issue where holding down a button and closing the Pause menu would make that button not work in game.

-Fixed an issue where holding down a button and closing the Pause menu would make it so that button would register as being pressed.

-Fixed an issue where accepting a Casual Match invitation from the Expert Mode ending screen would cause you Matching Status to disappear on returning to the Main Menu.

-Fixed an issue where the Sound Effects would repeat upon building a bar of Super Meter.

-Fixed an issue where the playback wouldn’t be centered when changing the Character Voice volume in the Options menu.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Amazon has the Steam version of DBFZ with the season pass for $35: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777SXN97/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The character update for FEXL is out, here are the patch notes: https://www.facebook.com/ARIKAOfficial/posts/508794062917483

In it voted 5.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

thank you for posting the patch notes to a game 3 people in the western hemisphere play

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ultramega posted:

thank you for posting the patch notes to a game 3 people in the western hemisphere play

Unironically agree. Big respect to the FEXL fans

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

speaking of games that nobody plays I really wish they'd have never come out with with a nidhogg sequel and instead just focused on creating more levels and introducing color selection instead of a stupid loving fraggle rock remix of what was already a great game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm still mad it's not called Fighting Layer EX so the acronym could be FLEX

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

It's literally the only thing that's kept me from buying the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ultramega posted:

speaking of games that nobody plays I really wish they'd have never come out with with a nidhogg sequel and instead just focused on creating more levels and introducing color selection instead of a stupid loving fraggle rock remix of what was already a great game.
i couldnt imagine what you would mean by fraggle rock until i looked at the nidhogg 2 screenshots and jesus christ that is the biggest stylistic downgrade I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The multiple different weapons are also, IMO, a big downside in niddhog 2. The appeal of the first game was the elegant simplicity, having weapons which are much better against certain other weapons is... bad