Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

OwlFancier posted:

I'm really not sure why I'm supposed to like him less than the people who apparently invented war profiteering.

He helped those people's nuclear weapons program. And then he did it again when he joined MSF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Screaming Idiot posted:

Throw in the Hdoom enemies and sex animations and then maybe we'll talk

EDIT: or can we keep the sex animations with the old enemies? :thunk:

The only limit is your imagination and I guess your coding skills

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zil posted:

The only limit is your imagination and I guess your coding skills

I will someday create Hdoom 2016. It will be glorious.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Final Fantasy 14 has seen a surprising amount of growth in its mod scene over the last year. It started out as basically just a nude mod behind a paywall because of loving course it did, but after some dudes made a texture editor people have been making a lot of cool/dumb stuff. Also more nude mods.

They also really hate putting mods on the nexus apparently. Everything is posted on discord which makes it a bitch to find anything in particular.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Brainamp posted:

Final Fantasy 14 has seen a surprising amount of growth in its mod scene over the last year. It started out as basically just a nude mod behind a paywall because of loving course it did, but after some dudes made a texture editor people have been making a lot of cool/dumb stuff. Also more nude mods.

They also really hate putting mods on the nexus apparently. Everything is posted on discord which makes it a bitch to find anything in particular.

Why not post it on something like, I dunno, Game Banana or ModDB?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good. Nexus is terrible.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Max Wilco posted:

Why not post it on something like, I dunno, Game Banana or ModDB?

Dunno. If I had to guess it's probably due to mods technically being against the TaS. Since these are all just texture mods they don't actually affect game performance, which means SE takes a pretty neutral stance towards the whole thing as long as you don't talk about them in the game itself.

There was a big shitstorm a couple months back with people posting modded screenshots to instagram or twitter or somewhere and editing the copyright mark back into their pictures. That got SE pissed about things for a while, though I don't remember all the details.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Mordja posted:

Hey, guys, excited for a fully polygonal (old)Doom?

:barf:

Didn't attempts to render the Build engine into full 3D break a ton of mods for Shadow Warrior and DN3D?

Also on the Huey derail: Huey didn't even invent Metal Gear ZEKE, it was based on plans given to him by Granin in MGS3. The reason Huey gets away with being credited for Metal Gear instead of Granin is because during MGS3 Granin gets stuffed in a barrel and punched to death by Volgin after being caught talking to Big Boss who is in the process of trying to rescue Sokolov.

marathon Stairmaster sesh fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 4, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

OwlFancier posted:

Literally all I got from his plot is that we nabbed him having previously worked with him, assumed he was responsible for blowing up the base on the basis that he was kidnapped rather than killed, tortured him a bunch, then told him to start developing weapons for us. Everyone else on the base comes off as having some weird pathological obsession with murdering/torturing/generally doing violence at people because it's literally the only way they interact with anyone.

I don't know how you missed literally every horrific thing Huey did, or was revealed to have done, over the course of MGS5, even to the mother of his son. The Diamond Dogs are war profiteers, but even they have a sense of morality.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Backhand posted:

Spineless yes, monster not so much.

It's unclear if they just didn't flesh out his ammoral aspect enough in Peacewalker or if they decided to alter his character for MGS5, but in either case, he didn't really do anything evil.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. But yeah, for what it's worth, he was defnitely at least spineless even back then.

hosed up to call him spineless, the polite term is "paralyzed" thanks

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Hemingway To Go! posted:

the theme of the anime isn't "jack off to these girls suffering". it's clear you are supposed to have empathy for the characters as a viewer, and the world ends up changing for the better at the end against impossible odds by a brilliant and decisive choice by the protagonist, who does not even have powers.

Somebody hasn't seen the movie.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

Didn't attempts to render the Build engine into full 3D break a ton of mods for Shadow Warrior and DN3D?

Sort of. the High Resolution system allowed for .def files that can define alot of things for specific objects and textures within a level in order to adjust about any aspect within any level, but it's definitely a situation where not everything is gonna be made for ever mod level.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 4, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Danaru posted:

How does someone obsess over the specifics of killing and dissecting a little girl this much without imploding into a singularity of disgust

Like god drat I know we've seen a lot of hosed up poo poo in this thread but this one is really getting to me

my dude let me tell you about magical girls

(for real though, that entire Madoka series broke shitloads of brains)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I will someday create Hdoom 2016. It will be glorious.

STRIP AND BARE

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Shoehead posted:

STRIP AND BARE

I've read this in Samuel Hayden's voice.

...gently caress I'm diggin' the idea now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Schubalts posted:

I don't know how you missed literally every horrific thing Huey did, or was revealed to have done, over the course of MGS5, even to the mother of his son. The Diamond Dogs are war profiteers, but even they have a sense of morality.

I didn't listen to any of the cassettes so maybe it's in there. I'm watching the C&A playthrough of it so doubtless I'll get a more complete picture eventually. They kept getting cutscenes and plot points that I didn't even know were in the game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't listen to any of the cassettes so maybe it's in there. I'm watching the C&A playthrough of it so doubtless I'll get a more complete picture eventually. They kept getting cutscenes and plot points that I didn't even know were in the game.

Chip and Ironicus are doing an lp of it and Ground Zeroes right now and they've done every other game in the series. Give their vids a watch if you want to see Everything*.

*May not include literally everything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uhh, ironicus doesn't begin with an A does it..

C&I is what I meant.

Chip and AIIIIIronicus.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shoehead posted:

STRIP AND BARE

STRIP AND BARE... UNTIL YOU HAVE CUM

YOU ARE THE DOOM LAYER

NOW GO BONE THAT REVANANT

TWO IN THE PINKY DEMON, THREE IN THE STINK, REAMIN'

IMP-SLAP ALL WHO GET IN YOUR WAY

TURN THAT CACODEMON INTO A CLOACADEMON... FOR YOU TO DICK

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Literally all I got from his plot is that we nabbed him having previously worked with him, assumed he was responsible for blowing up the base on the basis that he was kidnapped rather than killed, tortured him a bunch, then told him to start developing weapons for us. Everyone else on the base comes off as having some weird pathological obsession with murdering/torturing/generally doing violence at people because it's literally the only way they interact with anyone.

I didn't play peace walker but I'm really not sure why I'm supposed to like him less than the people who apparently invented war profiteering. And given that I can only assume that the workplace environment hasn't changed a great deal, I'm frankly amazed that their old base didn't get blown up sooner given their HR policy.

The idea with Huey is that, as awful as Miller and Snake have become, he's much worse in his own particular flavor of awful. Specifically, self-delusion. Huey manages to legitimately convince himself he's a good guy and bad poo poo just keeps happening to him, but pretty much everything Snake, Ocelot, and Miller accuse him of, he absolutely did really do. He's just so profoundly hosed up in the head that he honestly convinces himself that it was all a terrible coincidence. The man has an enormous amount of blood on his hands. and of people he actively betrayed no less... he's just very, very convincing when he protests otherwise, since he truly believes it himself.

But yeah, there was a lot to dislike about MGS5 and the very unsympathetic protagonists was definitely a big part. That was the point, narratively speaking.... the entire game is about the characters more or less becoming outright villains from too much time looking into the abyss. But yeah, just because it was the point didn't make it much more fun to side with them.

EDIT: Granted, all of this is second hand understanding on my part. I've seen a lot of MGS5 here and there since it's been released but I admit I've never actually played it myself. Ground Zeroes turned me off too much.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 5, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OwlFancier posted:

The majority of the game's story is in those tapes, which actually isn't saying that much because it's pretty bare otherwise.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you've skipped the tapes then you've missed out on the most important plot point of all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNHm4u4Ssr0

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Schubalts posted:

I'm not sure why you are saying the people running a legion of brainwashed slaves have a sense of mortality.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hel posted:

I'm not sure why you are saying the people running a legion of brainwashed slaves have a sense of mortality.
Running around in circles about "Morals" in videogames is often a dead end.

Which is why it's easier to focus on the fact that Huey's worst actions are often really, really stupid.

"We're going to have a growly monologue about the horrors of war and what monsters we become. Then keep doing war anyways" :madmax:

"That's nice. I'm going to make the world ending super virus even MORE dangerous. This is the best possible course of action." :pseudo:

Just pretend they got rid of him because it was just getting incredibly embarrassing, if the moral angle isn't doing it for you.

"So, have you got a world weary speech about the lengths man will go?" "NUH UH, I'M SMART." "...Look, guys, we've got a reputation to uphold..." "MY WIFE WAS PLAYING HIDE AND SEEK" "And this is really dragging down our brand. Mug sales are down by 20%"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 5, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the whole brainwashed slaves thing is weird because there's so much dissonance in terms of the recruiting. you do most of your recruiting by kidnapping enemy soldiers, and after a certain amount of time in the brig, they are ALWAYS convinced to join your side. which definitely feels weird and way too easy and convenient. but of all the things that people COULD yell at snake for, especially huey when he's having this week's temper tantrum, DD's recruiting methods never come up - and just eavesdropping on soldiers throughout mother base, they don't seem to have a problem voicing concerns when things are going poorly and morale is low (like if GMP is in the red) and they have fairly different stated motivations for joining. some talk about the egalitarian atmosphere, others talk about the fact that their homeland was just flat out bullshit and they knew they were going to die being ordered around by fuckwits, still others talk about the ability to have 'real' adventure and challenges.

in this way i'm honestly tempted to ascribe that weirdness to video game fiat rather than any actual narrative point. it'd be super loving annoying if you saw some really great recruit, captured him perfectly, and then got a message 10 minutes later from miller basically saying 'yeah naw he was adamant about not joining so i sent him off with the container ship.'

switching gears: miller, snake, and ocelot i don't agree are unsympathetic in anywhere remotely the same way as huey is. DD is pretty loving principled for a PMC, that's one of the core conflicts of the story. DD wants to be by soldiers for soldiers but ultimately the core management team of miller, snake, and ocelot have no idea how to reconcile being 'by soldiers' (and therefore sensitive to the tremendous amount of horseshit soldiers are put through) and 'for soldiers' (and therefore the ones ordering them to the far corners of fuckland to go die). the fundamental disagreements on how to deal with that contradiction is what causes miller to get more and more disillusioned with the idea that the problem CAN be solved throughout the game, and that is what causes him to very ominously fall out with ocelot in the ending. miller, snake, and ocelot are legitimately trying to solve an incredibly hard problem. they're doing a pretty subpar job of it, but their attempt is respectable even if it is ultimately a failure.

huey genuinely cannot make up his mind on his principles or his values long enough to not gently caress everything up and get people killed. he constantly second guesses his own decisions and then blames everyone else for his own actions. and worse, the only way he knows how to lodge a complaint is to do something incredibly dangerous and stupid that destroys everything he touches. he's honestly like example number one of why people shouldn't trust smart people for being smart. he's a brilliant engineer and scientist but that doesn't mean he has any loving concept of how to use those gifts. he has the moral maturity of a preteen and as a result he is, way more than anyone else in any of the metal gear games, the textbook villain simply because he is so god drat selfish. nothing he does is for others, it's always for himself first - even when he's causing more problems for himself so he can blame his current problems on someone else.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 5, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Hel posted:

Who says they're brainwashed slaves? And their entire handling of the child soldiers is incredibly moral. Snake refuses to kill those children, and actively wants to educate them so they go make something ofthemselves.

Also, having a sense of morality does not make someone a good person. It just makes them better than a sociopath.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Schubalts posted:

And their entire handling of the child soldiers is incredibly moral. Snake refuses to kill those children, and actively wants to educate them so they go make something ofthemselves.

I thought it was because giving them all cyborg-fist-delivered concussions, instead, was hilarious.

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you've skipped the tapes then you've missed out on the most important plot point of all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNHm4u4Ssr0

This. This is what modern gaming was missing for so many years. Listening to geriatrics loudly chew hamburgers.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 5, 2018

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Aside's from Huey being totally spineless and a sell out here is a list of his actual crimes, (though the first three I guess he was forced into?)

Built Peacwalker
Built Metal Gear Zeke
Built Sahelanthropus
GZ: Sold out MSF
PP: C&I aren't here yet :shh: Infected a large part of Diamond Dogs with a deadly virus, that you have to quarantine yourself, with bullets.
PP: Wanted to use tiny baby HAL as a test pilot for Sahelanthropus
PP: :siren:The huge big spoiler about Huey:siren: Murdered Strangelove, because she wouldn't let him use HAL as a test pilot
MGS2: Tried to murder\suicide Emma after he found out HAL was loving his wife, presumably to hurt both of them

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hey Zeke was a good boy and barely even a war crime :mad: the rest :yeah:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Shoehead posted:

STRIP AND BARE

YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE TITS!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE TITS!

More of this.

Coolguye posted:

the whole brainwashed slaves thing...

Less of this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I decided to go look up torchlight 2 mods. This isn't the worst thing in this thread by far but I thought it was funny how matter-of-fact it was written.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1479530833

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Honesty is the best policy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Backhand posted:

The idea with Huey is that, as awful as Miller and Snake have become, he's much worse in his own particular flavor of awful. Specifically, self-delusion. Huey manages to legitimately convince himself he's a good guy and bad poo poo just keeps happening to him, but pretty much everything Snake, Ocelot, and Miller accuse him of, he absolutely did really do. He's just so profoundly hosed up in the head that he honestly convinces himself that it was all a terrible coincidence. The man has an enormous amount of blood on his hands. and of people he actively betrayed no less... he's just very, very convincing when he protests otherwise, since he truly believes it himself.

But yeah, there was a lot to dislike about MGS5 and the very unsympathetic protagonists was definitely a big part. That was the point, narratively speaking.... the entire game is about the characters more or less becoming outright villains from too much time looking into the abyss. But yeah, just because it was the point didn't make it much more fun to side with them.

EDIT: Granted, all of this is second hand understanding on my part. I've seen a lot of MGS5 here and there since it's been released but I admit I've never actually played it myself. Ground Zeroes turned me off too much.

Venom Snake Did Nothing Wrong

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

You forgot Huey's largest crime: Laughed at Snake for believing in Santa

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

El Burbo posted:

You forgot Huey's largest crime: Laughed at Snake for believing in Santa

His second largest crime is calling D-Dog a wolf.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I enjoy how Huey simultaneously manages to be both a brutally efficient war criminal, and also a weepy massive weenie boy at the same time. It’s a fine needle to thread, but he manages it deftly

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

His second largest crime is calling D-Dog a wolf.

according to my awful mods, d-dog is Ocelot

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

MohShuvuu posted:

according to my awful mods, d-dog is Ocelot

When it comes to model swapping, I always preferred this as it's basically canon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
It's like I'm watching mgs4 again