Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

StabbinHobo posted:

I used to come down on the "degree reqs are good" side of this argument, like a decade ago, and I think my overall logic is still very sound (college is/was supposed to be about way more than job skills training).

However, I think the student loan debt system at this point is flagrantly predatory and I cannot in good conscience support it anymore. You're essentially requiring entry level employees be the modern equivalent of an indentured servant.

I don’t have a degree but I’ll say that I absolutely wished I had my bachelors and not just to pass the generic HR checkbox but proof of higher education that I know at a minimum at least this much and accomplished something over an extended period of time.

That said, if I ran my own company I would prefer those with degrees however you can’t apply that to every position. IT work is somewhat of a trade and experience counts for something especially if you’ve been in the profession for years and I’ve been doing IT work for over a decade. I’m at FTE at one of the largest tech firms and regularly do consulting at customers that wouldn’t even look at my resume since I never graduated.

It’s certainly odd but I think the world is changing and the tradition higher education institutions aren’t keeping up. The availability of online colleges, courses, etc. aren’t all completely fluff experiences. These F500s that have their logos plastered all over MMOCs isn’t because it’s cool.

I guess what I’m trying to say is college is still important, valuable, etc. but it’s no longer the - only - thing. Last but not least a college degree even with today’s cost is still the #1 thing you can that will statistically speaking keep you above the poverty line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Rex-Goliath posted:

HR requiring degrees for hiring is super common throughout the industry I'm not understanding why some people are freaking out about it. Have some of you genuinely never come across this before?

Inside tech itself - Microsoft, Google, IBM, Oracle, Cisco, etc. and their partners, VARs, MSPs. It’s not as stringent and while uncommon not impossible.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Some of us here are watching this thread for job postings relevant to their education/interests, could we please take this discussion elsewhere? Thanks.

On that note, I am still looking for a job in embedded land!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Anyone looking for a DBA and/or analyst? Mostly been a Microsoft stack guy, but I’ve used Tableau for reporting and too much SSRS.

Preferably remote. I’m around eastern WA.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MSP hiring for call center, on-site support, and "CIO-level" consulting positions. DC and Chicago area. PM me for more info. I have referred 2 goons who got hired over the past few years.

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 11, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

baquerd posted:

You sure about that? Pay better be at least 400k total comp for a masters and targeted tech experience to hit the ground running.

FileNotFound posted:

I don't know where you get your funny numbers -

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Master_of_Science_(MS)%2C_Computer_Science_(CS)/Salary

We pay better than average for the area.

I am no longer responding to the sour grapes in this thread.

I think the (massive) divergence comes from companies in the FANG-esque realm who offer above average salaries and huge stock grants. So far those have only been going up such that it can add a huge chunk of cash onto your "total comp" offer if you stay the course for the full vesting period. (Notably Amazon who heavily weights their grants into years 3 and 4.) They are also driving the out of control housing markets in the various areas where these companies force their workers to live.

This may also come from the type of salaries hedge funds offer people to basically own them for a few years, where 200k base and a 100% as-guaranteed-as-they-get bonus are the norm, assuming you want to work every waking hour 6 days a week. But hey, the also cover a huge % of your living expenses too. It's big law salaries for IT nerds, and just like big law, your degree matters.

These two things combined have caused a huge run up in salaries, way ahead of inflation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

H110Hawk posted:

This may also come from the type of salaries hedge funds offer people to basically own them for a few years, where 200k base and a 100% as-guaranteed-as-they-get bonus are the norm, assuming you want to work every waking hour 6 days a week. But hey, the also cover a huge % of your living expenses too. It's big law salaries for IT nerds, and just like big law, your degree matters.

Don't forget on-call for London and Hong Kong markets!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:This thread is for job postings, not general discussion of the job market:siren:

Please take discussions and derails elsewhere.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Job Seeker

My experience: 14 years in IT focusing in Windows support/sysadmin/engineering, with a chunk of VMware and Hyper-V. 8 years in desktop support/some sysadmin, 6 years as a full-time sysadmin. Presently a senior sysadmin. Some modest SQL. Experience supporting HP and Dell SAN technology, iSCSI, and some Fibre Channel.

What I'm looking for: I want to be either balancing my engineering responsibility with any sysadmin responsibility, or doing only engineering. My primary skill set is in Windows infrastructure (MCSA for Server 2003 through 2016, MCSE Cloud Platform) but I have my VCP for vSphere 5.5. I have some lab experience in Azure and I'm willing to learn AWS. My previous position involved a hybrid cloud that ran our VDI via VMware vSphere infrastructure and Xendesktop 7.6, but I am by no means an expert in Xendesktop.

What I'm NOT looking for: Anything involving helpdesk or only focusing in sysadmin tasks. If I have to start doing helpdesk, I'm going to have to start looking for another job. I don't mind if I have to wear business casual but I just don't feel comfortable in a culture that requires a jacket and tie every day. I'd also rather not work exclusively with non-technical end users unless it's to gather requirements or something like that. I'm definitely not the smelly goon stereotype, I just like working to fix things more directly than walking Jane from Accounting on how to plug in a new mouse.

Where I live: Near the interchange of I-78 and the GSP.

Where I'm looking: NYC metro. Midtown I can do anything near Penn Station or an A/C/E/1/2/3 train, or anywhere else in Manhattan near a PATH stop. In NJ I'm OK with as far north as the Rutherford area, as far west as Warren/Watchung area, and as far south as Woodbridge/Edison/Iselin/etc.

When I can start: Within two weeks of an accepted offer

Requirements: Competitive salary and non-awful working environment. Health/dental/vision not necessary but I would very much prefer at least having a 401k, even if there's no match. I distrust bonuses and would greatly prefer that any compensation be part of my base salary, unless the bonus is its own separate written guarantee.

Can be reached via: forums PM, or let me know your email. Since mine contains my name, I'd rather not post it publicly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MJP posted:

Job Seeker

My experience: 14 years in IT focusing in Windows support/sysadmin/engineering, with a chunk of VMware and Hyper-V. 8 years in desktop support/some sysadmin, 6 years as a full-time sysadmin. Presently a senior sysadmin. Some modest SQL. Experience supporting HP and Dell SAN technology, iSCSI, and some Fibre Channel.

What I'm looking for: I want to be either balancing my engineering responsibility with any sysadmin responsibility, or doing only engineering.

What I'm NOT looking for: only focusing in sysadmin tasks.

What do you mean or how do you differentiate between "Engineering" vs "Sysadmin" ? I'm not trying to be snarky or comment on the job market. We're a windows shop, and have both IT and SaaS production side of the house.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

What do you mean or how do you differentiate between "Engineering" vs "Sysadmin" ? I'm not trying to be snarky or comment on the job market. We're a windows shop, and have both IT and SaaS production side of the house.

Engineering tests, builds, and leads deploying stuff. They can ask or require sysadmins to help with parts of that. Sysadmins are then responsible to maintain what the engineers built.

That's kinda been the dichotomy I've experienced. Sometimes it's a Berlin Wall-esque separation between the two wherein the only communication is done via escalations through managers, other places I can pick up the phone and call an engineer and ask them questions, another place had engineers as consultants and they came with hourly costs, so they were contacts of last resort after hours of googling and futzing, or emergencies only.

I worry that if I make a lateral move I'll miss out on chances to expand my skill set in terms of what I do on a day-to-day basis. I can probably pick up AWS basics in my spare time and I've done lab work with Azure for cert prep, but I'm looking to move onward and upward if I can.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

(Mods, sorry if this is once again dragging things off topic. Just ask and I’ll move it to another thread)

What are the systems/products/things being engineered or built in these scenarios, and then handed off to other teams to run? This sounds suspiciously like the poo poo-tastic model the DevOps movement formed to counter. Having budgetary punishments for daring to consult The Engineers seems like a horrendous incentive system.

I think I get where you’re coming from. I don’t want to go back to a primary support role, either. But I feel like you may have had some very bad (but also very typical) positions that are coloring what a good, modern SRE style role can be like.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

(Mods, sorry if this is once again dragging things off topic. Just ask and I’ll move it to another thread)

What are the systems/products/things being engineered or built in these scenarios, and then handed off to other teams to run? This sounds suspiciously like the poo poo-tastic model the DevOps movement formed to counter. Having budgetary punishments for daring to consult The Engineers seems like a horrendous incentive system.

I think I get where you’re coming from. I don’t want to go back to a primary support role, either. But I feel like you may have had some very bad (but also very typical) positions that are coloring what a good, modern SRE style role can be like.

VMware infrastructure, Fibre Channel switches/zoning/masking/etc., Windows Server installs, SQL Server install/config, etc. For what it's worth, this was almost always dealing with internal infrastructure. I have yet to work with developers in any kind of role that involves deploying a product.

The whole budgetary punishment came from my last position, a small trucking/logistics company, wherein we had no engineers on staff, just the consultants who built the systems. They charged hourly since they didn't provide any support. A lot of friction came from my boss pushing back on me to google more solutions when I was pointing at him how I needed point of information X or design consideration Y before I do step Z, or how step Z was grayed out or not returning a result. I get having outsourced engineering - it was literally a company of 120ish employees - but as a sysadmin I didn't have the experience to maintain Xendesktop. The boss knew that, and I was learning a lot on the job and on downtime, but it wasn't enough to troubleshoot weird issues beyond what I could research.

The political points of a previous job before that spoke more towards not being allowed to ask The Engineers questions, nor escalate to them directly, without escalating through my manager first. There was also a lot of situations when engineers would delegate us in Operations tasks without consideration for our workloads, but that's corporate politics.

Happy to take it to PMs or another appropriate thread if this continues to derail.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

nope

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 11, 2018

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Considering a job change soon figured I’d see if there’s anything that’s a good fit:

My experience: 3 years development experience on enterprise Linux applications. Primarily Java, some C++, C#, Python.

1 year experience Infrastructure Analyst maintaining RHEL7 Oracle database servers for an ERP system.

BS in Computer Science

What I'm looking for: Linux administration or (probably Java) development.

Could go either way on this. Worked as a developer for a few years and loved my job, then moved into an Infrastructure Position at a University for the increased salary and benefits but I’m bored as hell here. Would like to move into a position where I can learn more and be of more value.

What I'm NOT looking for: Anything help desk, support or QA

Where I live: Richmond, VA

Where I'm looking: Richmond, VA or remote. Would prefer not to relocate but would consider it for the right position

When I can start: 2-4 weeks

Requirements: Health insurance, full time, good PTO

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Looking for a new job, need to get out of MSP hell.

Job Seeker

My experience: Been at an MSP for 7-8 years now
2 years in hell desk
1 year doing QA/project stuff for a WFM rollout (30000+ users all over the lower 48)
4-5 years of network/sys admin (Fortigate Firewalls, Cisco routers/switches, hyper-v and ESXi, server 2008-2012r2, some light SQL, powershell, dell SANs, and a little Azure for DR/BC) basically I've touched a bit of everything, I've been more network focused recently, but servers are my bread and butter still.

What I'm looking for: Network/Systems Admin work
I wouldn't mind making a jump into cloud services, I learn quickly but just haven't had the time (thanks wedding planning and insane work hours) to jump into AWS free tier and learn yet, but we also do some stuff in Azure currently.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, pure support work, or QA; also I'm not keen on contract work that's less than a year.

Where I live: Chicago, IL

Where I'm looking: Chicago or remote, part of my goal is to cut my commute down or make it public transit only.

When can I start: 3 weeks from acceptance/contract

Requirements: Health Insurance, good PTO and FTE* (if contract >= 12 months, boat money so I can afford insurance)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 10, 2018

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
JOB POSTINGS
We have quite a few openings in Portland, Oregon as we are rapidly growing.

Open Positions:
Technical Support Tier 1 (Grunt Work Below Helpdesk) Pay ~$18.50 plus 10% shift differential for early/late shifts.
Implementation Technician (Grunt Work Below Helpdesk) The same or slightly more than Tier 1?
Database Administrator
Atlassian Administrator
Quality Engineer
Senior Quality Engineer
Site Reliability Engineer

Who am I?
I work the helpdesk. I am not hiring you. Why am I posting this here? One I am well liked. Two I have already successfully referred a candidate for DevOps. Three the referral bonus is large and if I get it I'll take your goon butt to a fancy dinner.

Who are we?
Smarsh. We make archiving tools for virtually all forms of communication so that our banking/investing customers can be compliant with federal laws. Sounds super boring but company is very fun.

Where are we?
Portland Oregon

When:As soon as possible.
Remote? No.
Relocation? No.

Job Description

Job descriptions obliviously vary since I am posting for all the SC/SH applicable jobs. They are listed here:

https://jobs.jobvite.com/smarsh/jobs

What we actually need:
Be fairly competent at your job, play well with others, enjoy working downtown in a youngish, casual tech environment.

What's it like to work here?
Its a hip place to work. We have alot of benefits. People treat you like a human and respect you. Everyone seems happy to be here. If you do well you will be rewarded. People listen to your ideas if they are not dumb.

Pretty Good Salaries if you can negotiate.
~10% Annual Bonus if you hit your MBOs.
Yearly Review with Merit Based Raises (Actually Happens)
"Take What You Need" PTO: Read 3-4 Weeks PTO that kicks in day 1. No one looks at you funny for taking a two week vacation or calling in sick.
Medical, Dental, Vision, 4% Matching 401k. All kick in on Day 1.
4 Week Sabbatical after 6 years. Can tack on another two weeks of Take what you need PTO for a 6 week vacation.
Trimet (Public Transportation) Paid for 100%, Parking Fees Paid 50%, Gym Fees Paid 100%, We pay you if you bike to work.
Kegerator with beer on tap, bottled beer, cider, red, white and rose wine available for free (in the afternoons).
Snacks, soda, seltzer water, fancy coffee machines everywhere.
Huge Big Screens with a PS4.
A stand up MAME arcade cabinet with waaaay to many games on it.
No drug testing.
Probably more I am forgetting. Place is loaded down with all the little stuff that adds up.

The bad
I negotiated a salary that was better than my last job because I had an offer letter for another company that they matched without seeing the letter. The friend I referred to devops is making less than his last job but was unemployed for more than 6 months and was hard up and took what they offered initially, we won't sponsor relocation.

We are going through a merger with another company that does the same thing we do except in a different segment of the market.

The interview process is long. You have to take timed IQ'ish test, usually 2-4 in person interviews on different dates and maybe a personality test. It usually takes 4-6 weeks from your first interview before you get your acceptance letter/start date.

How to apply
Apply here: https://jobs.jobvite.com/smarsh/jobs

PM me and let me know you applied so I can let HR know I referred you so you can have a leg up against your peers and I can follow up with them to make sure they are moving forward with the interview process in a timely manner. (and so I can get that cheddar).

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 12, 2018

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
Job Seeker

My experience: I've done a ton of desktop support. Have an AS in IT mostly focused on Server support and CISCO. I was a system admin for 2 years before moving over to do software support at a NGAV startup for the last 3 years. Looking to get back into the IT field and move back to the DC area. I'd prefer a Jr system admin role since I've done system admin before but I'm 3 years removed so I'm a little rusty.

What I'm looking for: Sr. Helpdesk, Sr Desktop Support, Jr system admin
What I'm NOT looking for: lvl 1 helpdesk

Where I live: Jacksonville FL

Where I'm looking: DC/Nova area preferably metro accessable.

When can I start: Earliest would be 3 weeks from acceptance since I have to move.

Requirements: Health Insurance, PTO, Prefer FTE but contract is fine with the right rate.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MF_James posted:

Looking for a new job, need to get out of MSP hell.

Job Seeker

My experience: Been at an MSP for 7-8 years now
2 years in hell desk
1 year doing QA/project stuff for a WFM rollout (30000+ users all over the lower 48)
4-5 years of network/sys admin (Fortigate Firewalls, Cisco routers/switches, hyper-v and ESXi, server 2008-2012r2, some light SQL, powershell, dell SANs, and a little Azure for DR/BC) basically I've touched a bit of everything, I've been more network focused recently, but servers are my bread and butter still.

What I'm looking for: Network/Systems Admin work
I wouldn't mind making a jump into cloud services, I learn quickly but just haven't had the time (thanks wedding planning and insane work hours) to jump into AWS free tier and learn yet, but we also do some stuff in Azure currently.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, pure support work, or QA; also I'm not keen on contract work that's less than a year.

Where I live: Chicago, IL

Where I'm looking: Chicago or remote, part of my goal is to cut my commute down or make it public transit only.

When can I start: 3 weeks from acceptance/contract

Requirements: Health Insurance, good PTO and FTE* (if contract >= 12 months, boat money so I can afford insurance)

PM sent!

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Malek posted:

Job Seeker

Education: Certifications, some College

My Experience: 7 Years in IT and 3+ years as server support for Dell. Specialized in Hardware and Storage Support. Also branching into Windows Server 2008R2+ and Esxi 6.0. Have set up environments cutting down on loss of down time with automated monitoring and even maintenance with updates. Presently a phone monkey for Server Hardware

What I'm looking for: System Administrator job. Perferably non user-facing.

What I'm NOT looking for: Call Center or Customer Facing Jobs

Where I'm looking: Denver, CO area

Where I am located presently.: Oklahoma City, OK

When I can start: ASAP

Requirements: Full time, health benefits, market salary.

Reposting this... modified with new stuff and years modified

jokrswild
Feb 12, 2004

I'm an astronomer, and these are the stars! Can you see the stars?
JOB POSTING
Network Administrator, Springfield Ohio

Who are we?
Clark State Community College - a mid-sized community college, just got permissions for our first 4 year degree.

Where are we?
Springfield, Ohio (between Columbus and Dayton)

When: ASAP
Remote: No
Relocation: No

Job Description:
The Network Administrator has the primary responsibility for the design, planning, installation, monitoring,maintenance, and troubleshooting of the College network and its related hardware, software, and related services. This position participates in capacity planning, supports the creation and the maintenance of network disaster recovery plans and monitors all network performance activities. The Network Administrator demonstrates a high level of knowledge surrounding data network infrastructure and displays strong analytical and troubleshooting skills. They are also skilled in the use of network diagnostic tools and software to enhance the investigation and resolution of network problems. This position keeps abreast of new technologies and may identify and implement new technologies and processes that improve the reliability, efficiency, and availability of the network environment.

What we actually need
Someone who knows Cisco switches, phones, some Juniper and Palo Alto stuff too. Needs to hit the ground running, we have a reno'd building coming online with a new network. (This may get done before a person starts) We also maintain several different network sites in our 4 county service area.

It's pretty great - good coworkers, great atmosphere. Family friend/family first. As long as you're getting your job done, you get a bunch of flexibility.

Good benefits, 3 weeks sick, 4 weeks Vacation, and 3 personal days. 11 holidays, some of which go toward closing between Christmas and New Years (like Columbus day and President's day). Free classes for you and dependents here, tuition reimbursement for elsewhere.

The Bad
The salary will be a bit lower, but that's Higher Ed. There's a lot of work to do and not a huge IT staff.

How to apply:
https://www.clarkstate.edu/about-clark-state/employment/

PM me if you apply - I'll be on the search committee. I am not the hiring manager, we would be coworkers. I'm the Director of Client Support.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace posted:

Searching for a job:

Experience: 2.5+ years, primarily in C and C++, two years of that in low level, the rest in server development. Also can use Bash, familiar with Linux. Know a handful of other languages somewhat well, including Python. Familiar with the I2C and SPI data buses. Somewhat familiar with SQLs.
Desired: Embedded/low-level (close to the CPU) development. Possibly server back end.
Not Desired: Front end and web development.
Education: BS in Computer Science, Associates in Electrical Engineering Technology
Where I'm Looking: Milwaukee metro area, willing to commute though non-trivial distances, comparatively (if it's an hour or so away, I might do it). Madison, WI, is also an option. Relocation is ok.
When can I start: ASAP, except if relocation is needed. In that case, the earliest I can start is August

Updated!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
** EDIT: This got pulled last year for budget and re-org reasons forgot to pull it from this list**

JOB POSTING
Manager, Content Services

Who are we?
The Walt Disney Company, maybe you have heard of us? Specifically this position is within the Corporate Enterprise Technology team.

Where are we?
Everywhere

Where is the job?
Celebration, Florida is our first choice since this role’s manager and direct reports are in Celebration.
Second choice is Burbank, CA.

When: ASAP
Remote? No for starters but established employees have been able to work remote.
Relocation? No.

Job Description
The JD is pretty lengthy, go read it here https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/burbank/manager-content-services/391/8728401

What we actually need:
• A Service Manager for the enterprise SharePoint platform, used for custom developed applications. SharePoint gets a bad rap but we do some really cools stuff with it and it is a critical part of our portfolio, as a result it is well funded.
• Expectation is that the role could expand over time to cover other services like Jive or be swapped out for other collaboration platforms.
• This is a corporate shared service so experience with charge backs and internal clients is a must.
• Manage the outsourced vendor support team.
• Manage a team of 3 staff developers with varying levels of experience and contactor developers as needed for projects.

Great team, supportive management, demanding but not unreasonable or unappreciative clients.
Great benefits, (free park passes!) flexible schedule.

The bad
We are a traditional, big, corporate entity so it may take time to get through the recruiting process

How to apply
Apply here: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/burbank/manager-content-services/391/8728401

PM me with any questions, this is the backfill for my current position.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 9, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

JOB POSTING
:siren: lots of positions :siren:
Senior Business Analyst
Business Analyst
Junior Business Analyst - Entry Level
.Net Web Application Developer
Mobile Application Developer
Junior Developer – Entry Level
Senior Developer
Project Manager

Who are we?
Paul Consulting Group is an IT firm creating custom enterprise web and mobile systems in Tallahassee. We've been around for 20 years, and recently we've been getting bigger and bigger contracts, so we're growing from ~20 staff to ~40 in a few years. Leadership opportunities if you have experience or stay for a couple years.

Where are we?
Tallahassee, FL, with clients all over the US

Where is the job?
Tallahassee, FL only

When: We grown fast, yo. Probably will be hiring constantly for 2 years. You can start in a week if you blow our socks off.
Remote? No.

Job Description
Our website has the job description for all jobs except Project Manager. For that, PM me.

What we actually need:
Dev positions: experience with C#, .NET, and SQL Server required. Xamarin and Mobile application experience a plus. Entry level also available.
BA positions: experience analyzing and designing IT systems. Excellent technical writing skills. Entry level also available, MBA, undergrad business, or IT degree preferred.

Really great products that make you proud of your work. I haven't had to deal with slacker coworkers like I have at other jobs. Our existing clients trust us since they know we make good systems, so pricing new systems and convincing them of recommended system changes is easy.

We bought a larger office building in town and we're going pseudo startup style with a full bar in our conference room + ping pong + foosball :confuoot:

The bad
We have a fairly rigid set of job processes and HR policies. Your first couple weeks our VPPM may respond to any questions you have by saying "Did you check the processes?". No vacation first 3 months. Good individual benefits but no subsidization for spouse or dependents.

How to apply
Send your Resume and Cover Letter to careers@paulconsulting.com with the desired position as the subject. Feel free to PM me if you want me to review it first, as I'm not the hiring manager.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Job Seeker

Education: B.S. in Physics, CompSci

My Experience: 3 years outward-facing tech support for a cable ISP w/ VOIP prior to undergrad, 1.5 years academic experience as TA, Lab & Reseach Assistant, 1.5 years academic experience (senior exercise) with FPGA design, serial/middleware, Java UI development. Strongest in Java and C/C++, can do some stuff with Python and also Verilog (hardware descriptor language)

What I'm looking for: software/hardware development in aerospace or connected industries, or University research. would consider in-facing help desk/tech support in those industries as a foot in the door

What I'm NOT looking for: Call Center or Customer Facing Jobs

Where I'm looking: Los Angeles, CA, Long Beach, CA (see current location, LA traffic makes stuff north of the city impossible for me sadly)

Where I am located presently.: San Pedro, CA

When I can start: ASAP

Got those recent-grad-no-experience-blues, help a dude out

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Job Seeker

Education: A+, Net+, Sec+, CCENT, intending on acquiring the CCNA by the end of this month

My Experience: Lots of labs, 3 years customer service-oriented I.T., 4 years hardware troubleshooting, 3 years A.D. and LDAP experience.

What I'm looking for: Junior net/sys admin, desktop support

What I'm NOT looking for: Tier 1 hell desk. I'd take it but ideally only as a springboard into something bigger.

Where I'm looking: Olympia, WA, Portland, OR, Grand Rapids, MI, Ann Arbor, MI, Denver, CO, Indianapolis, IN, Minneapolis, MN

Where I am located presently: Grand Rapids, MI

When I can start: Two weeks after acceptance

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Oyster posted:

Job Seeker

Education: A+, Net+, Sec+, CCENT, intending on acquiring the CCNA by the end of this month

My Experience: Lots of labs, 3 years customer service-oriented I.T., 4 years hardware troubleshooting, 3 years A.D. and LDAP experience.

What I'm looking for: Junior net/sys admin, desktop support

What I'm NOT looking for: Tier 1 hell desk. I'd take it but ideally only as a springboard into something bigger.

Where I'm looking: Olympia, WA, Portland, OR, Grand Rapids, MI, Ann Arbor, MI, Denver, CO, Indianapolis, IN, Minneapolis, MN

Where I am located presently: Grand Rapids, MI

When I can start: Two weeks after acceptance

If you're willing to relo to Detroit, Quicken Loans is hiring a ton of roles around your skillset

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

vyst posted:

If you're willing to relo to Detroit, Quicken Loans is hiring a ton of roles around your skillset

We (QL) have an entry level sysadmin role open right now, but it's thur-sun overnights. Pay is around 60k + benefits. Send me a PM or username@gmail if you're interested.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

xsf421 posted:

We (QL) have an entry level sysadmin role open right now, but it's thur-sun overnights. Pay is around 60k + benefits. Send me a PM or username@gmail if you're interested.

Overnights kinda sucks but I'd be willing to take it. PM sent.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
Job Seeker

Education: BS CpE, MS CS

My Experience: ~6ish years academia (ML/cv mostly), ~4 years industry (backend / data engineering)

What I'm looking for: data engineering (etl stuff, spark, etc), general backend engineering

Where I'm looking: NYC or remote

Where I am located presently: NYC

When I can start: immediately

Skills: java, spark, elastic, mongodb, etc. pretty flexible

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

xsf421 posted:

Sup fellow QL goon!

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

Job Seeking!

My experience: 2+ years of Linux Sys Admin. My current job I designed and maintain our entire Apple infrastructure from Munki to Apache from the ground up. I do a lot of bash and python scripting, also know PHP. I've started working with Powershell and AD/GPO stuff. I also have experience with Cisco networking equipment.

What I'm looking for: Sys Admin or Tier III Help Desk with a transition to Sys Admin in an Apple or Linux environment. Windows in a pinch.

What I'm NOT looking for: Tier I or II Help Desk.

Where I live: Oklahoma City, OK
Where I'm looking: OKC area or Remote, I am okay with travel reqs for a job.

When I can start: Two weeks
Requirements: Full-Time, Health Bennies and a Retirement plan.

Can be reached via: PM or hit me up in the thread

Zinglon
Nov 12, 2007
LP Subforum Reader
Job Seeking

Education: Associates in IT Systems Support, currently enrolled in a second associates in Cybercrime Technology. Systems support is basically first/second year courses in a variety of IT subjects, so I know the basics of stuff like Microsoft Access, managing Windows Server 2016, networking, hardware installation, and security concepts. Cybercrime is focused on computer-related law, data recovery and forensics, and network monitoring. My only certificate is a TestOut PCPro certification, theoretically it covers the same material as A+, but isn't widely recognized. Guessing it's not worth much and I should go for the actual A+. I've been delaying getting their ServerPro certification since I figure it's in the same situation, but with Network+.

Experience: Most of my job experience is working retail. I don't have any IT job experience, at most I've built PCs for friends and done troubleshooting and virus removal for family.

What I'm looking for: Something entry level or a paid internship, preferably in data recovery/forensics. Also willing to do helpdesk if necessary.

Where I live: Greensboro, NC.
Where I'm looking: Central NC, I'm most familiar with Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro.

Requirements: Benefits. I've got some savings that could cover me while I work an internship, but my current insurance is terrible.

Pretty basic, but I haven't had much luck looking for jobs since getting my first degree. I could definitely use some advice or recommendations.

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
Job Opening Software Engineer

Experience: Mid or Senior.

What I am looking for: The company I work for has several job openings available. We have two main products, one in C# and the other ruby.

What you work on: .NET: Some brand new .NET core microservices, some legacy .NET applications.
Ruby: Ruby on rails.
Contact: PM me your resume or LinkedIn and I'll send you to our application page.

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

JOB POSTING
C++ Developer

Who are we?
QSC

From our website - Founded over five decades ago, QSC is a globally recognized leader in the design, engineering and manufacturing of high-performance audio, video and control (AV&C) products including the Q-SYS™ Platform, power amplifiers, loudspeakers and digital mixers. Uniquely leveraging a broad range of technologies located under one roof, QSC products outperform the sum of their parts by delivering reliable, scalable and flexible solutions for installed, corporate, portable, production and cinema customers worldwide.

Where are we?
Job is in Boulder, CO - main office is in Costa Mesa, CA

When: Now
Remote? No
Relocation? Possible

Job Description
The Software Engineer will be responsible for design and implementation of application software in Linux OS for a wide variety of projects for Q-SYS.

Desired
  • B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related field
  • Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience developing C++ application software in Linux OS
  • Experience with USB drivers and protocols
  • Experience with encryption ( TLS, PKI, SSH, OpenSSL )
  • Experience with streaming media protocols ( RTP, SRTP, RTSP, etc )
  • Experience with TCP/IP, UDP/IP, HTTP(S)
  • Proficiency in JavaScript, including NodeJS is a plus

Why work here?
We are creating a modern, sophisticated AVC platform. You'd work with a passionate, helpful, knowledgeable team and get to live in Colorado. We need smart, highly motivated people but we don't expect people to kill themselves and work long hours.

Contact
PM or email at jhndnn at gmail

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Anyone have a nice, but not stock standard resume template for IT folks? The Word templates are pretty boring, and almost every resume I've ever seen used them.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Try crossposting to BFC resume thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582&pagenumber=184&perpage=40

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Check out creddle.io

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

-

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Figured it's never too early to put these feelers out.

Job Seeking

Education: 9 months into a 12 month dev bootcamp, completed the front end section (HTML,CSS,Bootstrap,JS,jQuery,React) and currently working on .NET Core back end technologies using C#, with MS SQL Server coming soon. Expect to finish at the beginning of 2019. Not married to the tech, willing to learn what your shop needs. I appreciate both functional and OO principles and love working with data a bit more than front end design.

Work experience: 4+ years of desktop support in Windows shops, with my current role including some simple web update duties. I know several ticketing systems, a modicum of AD, and various other Tier 1/2 helpdesk necessities.

What I'm looking for: Junior dev work. Open to freelance work but really looking to land a full time gig. I believe I'll be a worthwhile investment to the org that hires me, as I'm addicted to learning opportunities in this space.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk

Where I live: Nashville, TN
Where I'm looking: Nashville area or remote, will be open to relocation upon completion of dev course.

When I can start: Two weeks post-offer if full time, freelance as discussed

Can be reached via: PM or thread post

Dross fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 2, 2018