Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
they better have carreyrou working the tesla beat now so we get another good-rear end book in a couple of years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The “cult” tag is a bit much. Actual cults steal your assets, cut you off from your family, control your sex life, etc.

wait... holy poo poo you’re right.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Bushiz posted:

I'm earnestly surprised that he hasn't made a car with a center seat driver, given that he bought and wrecked a McLaren f1 with his first bit of cash

he did, it's the tesla semi

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

rear end cobra posted:

didnt know teslas came with mirror paint haha

you should know it’s too orange peeled to do that lol

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
New Chinese sales data is getting to us through a high profile short, but this is still Pro Click Material

https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1037416581750566912?s=19

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they look like cheap aftermarket mods

all not even set into the dash

Its weird because I swear its fully integrated in the Model S

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Rastor posted:

Where do you keep the coffee pot and drinks cooler?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Where do you keep the coffee pot and drinks cooler?

How do you look at your trailer when backing up?

How do you hand documents off at inspections and weigh stations?

:iiam:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Glumslinger posted:

Its weird because I swear its fully integrated in the Model S

it is yeah

ofc it's still not hooded or otherwise protected from glare in any way but at least it still has an instrument cluster in the driver's field of vision

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
dont trucks have beds for when you run out of meth or want some lot lizard time?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tesla is no different than Theranos
-Hostile Abusive workplace
-Human cost in the case of Tesla much higher injury rate than the industry benchmark
-Covered up critical QC control issues as show by Tripp's whiste blowing
-Idiotic CEO who gets worshipped as the next nerd jesus by the tech industry
-CEO is a pathological liar

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
elizabeth holmes was smart enough to not get swallowed up by twitter

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
A drone shoots out from under the truck to watch the trailer for you, and hands off the documents itself at weigh stations

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Bad blood question. How did the author get around all those NDAs? I mean even with changing the names. A lot of people are presented like "Joined from X school in 2010 and worked on" etc so finding out their names should be easy.

And now that Theranos is going tits up. Are the NDAs still valid? Who enforces them?

the WSJ articles at the time would have kept his sources confidential I think the books mentions this

but the book being published in 2018 years after the scandal and SEC investigations the NDAs would have been toothless

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, the pads look really silly. It's like they don't belong there originally but were added in as an extensions like the early GPS systems. Except even those looked super pragmatic and professional compared to this flimsy toy poo poo that probably breaks off if you lose your balance leaning over the dashboard.

like come on, how are you loving up the dumb sleek futuristic school of design by making it look cheap, that's the complete opposite of what it's supposed to convey

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In related news lol

https://www.wsj.com/articles/blood-testing-firm-theranos-to-dissolve-1536115130

quote:

Theranos Inc., the blood-testing company accused of perpetrating Silicon Valley’s biggest fraud, will soon cease to exist.

In the wake of a high-profile scandal, the company will formally dissolve, according to an email to shareholders. Theranos will seek to pay unsecured creditors its remaining cash in coming months, the email said.

The move comes after federal prosecutors filed criminal charges against Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes and the blood-testing company’s former No. 2 executive, alleging that they defrauded investors out of hundreds of millions of dollars and defrauded doctors and patients.

The executives have denied the charges and face a coming criminal trial.

quote:

The big-name investors who poured money into Theranos will get nothing. All told, investors in Theranos have lost nearly $1 billion.

Theranos’s founder and chairman, Ms. Holmes, and her ex-boyfriend, Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani were indicted on nine counts of wire fraud and two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud in June. Mr. Balwani was Theranos’s president and chief operating officer until he retired from the company in May 2016. If convicted, they each face a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a fine of $250,000, plus restitution to those found to have been defrauded, on each count.

The indictments followed months of reporting by The Wall Street Journal that raised questions about the company’s technology and practices.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
It's no use asking questions about that semi because it will never exist. there is no way the range on that thing will be more than 10 miles before combusting

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Rastor posted:

is this an official pic from tesla or a photoshop?

i'd imagine not having the horizon visible from the cockpit would be a pretty big non-starter for a truck, but i'm not a master of disruption

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Tesla is no different than Theranos
-Hostile Abusive workplace
-Human cost in the case of Tesla much higher injury rate than the industry benchmark
-Covered up critical QC control issues as show by Tripp's whiste blowing
-Idiotic CEO who gets worshipped as the next nerd jesus by the tech industry
-CEO is a pathological liar

these are all true but Tesla isn't promising (besides some of the autopilot claims) impossible technology. this is probably worse because it means they're failing at things because of incompetence, not because they're trying to violate the fundamental laws of statistics

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

these are all true but Tesla isn't promising (besides some of the autopilot claims) impossible technology. this is probably worse because it means they're failing at things because of incompetence, not because they're trying to violate the fundamental laws of statistics

They are optimistically promising a positive balance sheet.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Incredible Musk reply email. Tweet replies are gold too

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1037412604724039683?s=19

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Tesla itself isn't but the vacuum pods and mars colonies and that stupid loving semi are either impossible or wildly impractical without technology that currently doesn't exist

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

They are optimistically promising a positive balance sheet.

Other companies are going to produce an extremely similar product to Tesla and generate a profit. Its just incompetence.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

rear end cobra posted:

elizabeth holmes was smart enough to not get swallowed up by twitter

and her right-hand man ramesh "sunny" balwani is the type of overbearing dictator who would have a muskian twitter but the guy is a loving ghost. he has an account but it's mostly just retweeting positive news about theranos: https://twitter.com/sunnybalwani

it stopped tweeting on october 2015 :thunk:

cool dance moves has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Sep 5, 2018

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
aren't smart phones already a ridiculously unsustainable technology w/r/t rare earth metals and production especially as far as "current material conditions" goes (smart phones being like little blossoms on a bush that's obviously dying)? i can't imagine leaning hard into the SMART CAR

are the integrated devices inside of it going to depreciate as fast as all of our current high sheen glossy crap? tablets/phones/etc?

i wonder how the oldest first gen tesla's are holding up at this point, is there an after market? what's THAT like? do they just cut off support at some point? do these things go into landfills after 5 years?

edit:

just imagined someone cracking their center console display in their tesla and just living with it because its out of warranty lmao

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

wow Elongs also an expert on journalism what can’t this stable genius do?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

FistEnergy posted:

Elon musk, reputable source of child molestation facts

https://twitter.com/Mr_Dave_M/status/1037418253272985605?s=19

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Bad blood question. How did the author get around all those NDAs? I mean even with changing the names. A lot of people are presented like "Joined from X school in 2010 and worked on" etc so finding out their names should be easy.

And now that Theranos is going tits up. Are the NDAs still valid? Who enforces them?

a reporter doesn't have to care if his subject is giving him NDA-covered information. his source can get sued if he finds out, but you can't sue the reporter for getting the info (unless you pay him for it, perhaps).

who has the rights to enforce NDAs depends on what happens to Theranos's assets. I haven't seen if they're filing a Chapter 7 liquidation, a private liquidation, a Chapter 11 reorganization, or what. if someone buys the assets, they may acquire the right to enforce the NDAs. if nobody buys Theranos's rights under the NDAs, then the contract is no longer valid because it's with an entity that no longer exists.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Rastor posted:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

"off the record" is a magic phrase

much like "i am TRAVELING not driving"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rastor posted:

why is it flying

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Feranon posted:

hey elon you're a pussy unless you get rid of the steering wheel too

you move the car left and right like a game, with touchscreen icons on the discount ipad in the middle of the dash

disrupt this stale rear end "steering your car" paradigm

We know for a fact Elon haven't seen Minority Report because controls and steering aren't projected on the windshield while you wave your hands at it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just control my car by theremin

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol Nest had that smoke detector that you could turn off by waving your arms around

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Feranon posted:

"off the record" is a magic phrase

much like "i am TRAVELING not driving"

I do not with to create joinder with your publication.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

FistEnergy posted:

https://twitter.com/stetopinini/status/1037432231625740288

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Ahhh yes, because when you have true evidence of such things you should report that abuse to Buzzfeed, and not you know, the authorities. :thunk:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Eloln lmaousk

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bushiz posted:

I'm earnestly surprised that he hasn't made a car with a center seat driver, given that he bought and wrecked a McLaren f1 with his first bit of cash

The truck has a central drivers seat. The cars probably don't simply because they're not wide enough for three-abreast seating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ShriekingMarxist posted:

aren't smart phones already a ridiculously unsustainable technology w/r/t rare earth metals and production especially as far as "current material conditions" goes (smart phones being like little blossoms on a bush that's obviously dying)? i can't imagine leaning hard into the SMART CAR

are the integrated devices inside of it going to depreciate as fast as all of our current high sheen glossy crap? tablets/phones/etc?

i wonder how the oldest first gen tesla's are holding up at this point, is there an after market? what's THAT like? do they just cut off support at some point? do these things go into landfills after 5 years?

edit:

just imagined someone cracking their center console display in their tesla and just living with it because its out of warranty lmao

I'd be suspicious of any articles declaring that some rare earth element is "running out by year XXXX" because often those articles rely on a bit of terminology sleight of hand/misunderstanding. When industry report the total "resources" available, that's within the current economic context, including price. But that doesn't account for potentially economically viable resources at future price points, let alone the resource cycle where higher prices improve technology and then crash the price by flooding the market (see fracking).

So the material component costs of rare earths could rise, potentially even substantially, but that's a small part of the consumer price of electronics.