Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

This post makes me think that the Chad Mendes fight might be the best comparison on Conor's resume, and it's not one that makes me think it's winnable for him. Khabib is bigger, tougher, and better than Chad in every way except boxing techinque.

I think Khabib is better, and the comparison is a decent one, but their styles aren't that similar.
Chad has a great double that he can explode with, while Khabib insists on trotting you down and getting a lock. He's arguably worse at getting it into his domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
They are both ferociously strong against their opponents major weakness and hilariously flawed against their opponents major strength.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I know it's easy to act like a clear blueprint of how to beat a fighter is some fictional abstract that no one has ever or could possibly ever use when that fighter is undefeated and commonly gets finishes or brutal dominant decision victories, but if Michael Johnson were either marginally more powerful or significantly less of an idiot dumbass then he would have beaten Khabib.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's a long reel.

probably about to get longer

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Skip My Posts posted:

probably about to get longer

Chucks my favourite fighter ever, and your probably right. I think he gets concussions from sneezes now.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
and with the giant hole between his nostrils there's an awful lot of sneezing going on.
everything you guys are saying is why this is the perfect loving fight. "whoever wins is the guy who can do their thing and the other guy will look embarrassed" should bring you back to the very early days of Striker Vs Grappler Matchups except now it's the best in the loving world with all the bad blood behind it you could ask for on the world's biggest stage. What I'm saying is there's no way this fight happens

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I favour Conor, but I don’t think Khabib gets hit as much as you guys think.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

i think the fight doesn't go the same way any 2 times but we'll never see the second one probably

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

there's no way this fight happens

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

If Khabib wins, maybe a rematch. If Conor wins, not likely. But GSP will fight Conor either way.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Is this poo poo any good?

https://twitter.com/Jason_Floyd/status/1037450769971208192

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

No

mewse
May 2, 2006

Drink Like A Champion

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FishBowlRobot posted:

If Khabib wins, maybe a rematch. If Conor wins, not likely. But GSP will fight Conor either way.

yeah

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The Michael Johnson fight makes me feel better about his prospects against Conor than the Barboza fight. He's respecting Johnson's speed and power, and at least trying to feint his way into the clinch, even if he isn't doing a very good job of it. He does get tagged by Johnson, but so does everyone. Johnson is crazy fast. I think he had just destroyed Dustin Porier the fight before that with the same combination Khabib avoids getting hit cleanly by in their fight.

The Barboza fight he's just running forward like a crazy man, which kind of makes sense given that Barboza absolutely cannot fight off the back foot and is most dangerous when he can plant.

I gotta believe his coaches are doing everything they can to try to keep him from getting Jose Aldo'd. I think it all depends on whether he listens to them on the night or not.

Assuming we actually get to watch this fight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think the biggest question in this match up is whether or not Khabib gets stripped when he breaks his ankle doing leg-lifts with a medicine ball on some rope.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i wonder if johnson has the quickest hands at 155, his combos are lightning fast

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

I think the biggest question in this match up is whether or not Khabib gets stripped when he breaks his ankle doing leg-lifts with a medicine ball on some rope.

He's going to explode both his knees one week out from the fight when he challenges a homeless man to a burpee competition live on Periscope

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah i wonder if johnson has the quickest hands at 155, his combos are lightning fast

Of all time it's probably like Pulver, Penn or Frankie, but I think Johnson's probably got the quickest hands of anyone from the recent roster.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor Get Stung

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rewatching Khabib-Johnson. Conor is definitely going to hit Khabib. He has to put him out asap otherwise it's going to be a brutal night for him on the ground.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

First Jimmy Smith, now the rum. The Bellator transition continues.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

threeagainstfour posted:

I gotta believe his coaches are doing everything they can to try to keep him from getting Jose Aldo'd. I think it all depends on whether he listens to them on the night or not.

From what limited stuff I've seen Javi Mendez say, it seems like Khabib won't listen to them and will barely listen to his dad. I wouldn't expect much tactical changeup for Conor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

almost got him in trouble against Michael Johnson (worse than Conor)

And you can tell Johnson is worse than Conor because *checks notes* he flattened Dustin Poirier in a minute and a half and lost to Nate Diaz, which demonstrates clear inferiority to Conor, who certainly hasn't done either of those things.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
not a retarded comparison at all and conor would get choked out by darren elkins

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
*checks notes*

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
The real question is which day the fight gets canceled

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
We're 30 or so days out and we still just have the one hype video. 30 days out from the fight and I'd say 27 or so from the cancelation

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

not a retarded comparison at all and conor would get choked out by darren elkins

"Haha, you dummy, comparing two nearly identical performances against the same two opponents."

Well, the real difference is that Johnson made it to the final bell against Nate Diaz without spending hundreds of thousands of dollars finding out what leg kicks are.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
God that was so funny. Talking about his three hundred thousand dollar fight camp to Beat go 5 rounds and get gifted a decision against Nathan Q Diaz

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/ScottHarrisMMA/status/1037391648307793921?s=19

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

a cool and normal company

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
https://twitter.com/sagenorthcutt/status/1037484178348986368

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm not gay but I wonder what sages belly button smells like

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cotton candy and daddy issues

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Where's your white person signifiers?

Oh. Right. Pick truck, "gun," oiled bare chest. Nailed 'em.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:yikes:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Nicco don't worry we have chosen your walkout music for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiOt7vZPcGM

mewse
May 2, 2006

- Gross
- Why is she waiting nearly a year between fights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mewse posted:

Why is she waiting nearly a year between fights?

quote:

“My health was my main issue,” Montano told reporters on Thursday’s UFC 228 media call. “After I got off the ‘TUF’ show, I had to deal with a number of health issues. After my fight with (Roxanne Modafferi), I was in a boot dealing with a chronic bacterial infection, and that’s when Valentina chose to call me out. Everybody thought I was just hanging out at home when I was literally having a viral infection throughout my entire body hindering me from spending more than two days a week at practice.”

• Locked thread