Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looking closer at some of these cars...are Japanese market knock offs common? Three of these have popped up in the past couple days, all ending tonight. I thought Morgan Plus 4 or 4/4 initially but a lot of the details aren't right and all three of them look identical. I can't figure out what the hell they are unless Morgan made a base-base model for the Japanese market. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out wtf these things are.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-weUSPBaUIB4yY.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lGSaEbfBcUjnpb.htm - this one has more pics

Showed it to my Japanese co-worker for a translation, it's this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_Lima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

dphi posted:

Showed it to my Japanese co-worker for a translation, it's this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_Lima

It’s funny you brought these particular ones up! Someone else discovered the exact same thing (not me)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

dphi posted:

Yup looks like that's what it was. I cancelled inspection on them but one got inspected before Matt could cancel it. Leaking, white smoke and generally falling apart.

There's what looks like a really nice Caterham going in a few hours that I'd like to bid on but I'm holding off for now. Still getting an inspection and will be watching closer for them now that I know they roll across. It's strange though I swear the car wasn't there yesterday but showed up this afternoon and now it ends in four hours. If I hadn't just bought a similar car I'd be putting in a strong bid on it, looks super clean and has the options you'd want. I'd have a hard time selling it if I did buy it and I should clear space before I add anything else. I threw in a low bid because it looks fun
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHcKF0Ad6WA7Rta.htm

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 6, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Another one is up, last one went for over a million yen, this one is lower mileage and looks even cleaner so I expect even more. USS so we won't know.

The interior though

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 6, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just a reminder, but if you're used to driving a Mazda 6 and a Miata, a Hilux (or any truck) is going to ride and drive like utter dogshit in comparison. Might want to go drive an older Toyota truck first to get a feel for it.

I cut my teeth on lovely Cherokees and an Izuzo Rodeo with blown shocks. I can handle pretty much anything.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

I had never heard of this thing before so I had to look it up. Apparently its Supercharged and Turbocharged and gets a whopping 108 horsepower and was rallied. That must mean its AWD right? I can't find any info on if it was FWD, RWD or AWD.

I want one now. Goodbye Cappo. Hello March.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Loanarn posted:

I had never heard of this thing before so I had to look it up. Apparently its Supercharged and Turbocharged and gets a whopping 108 horsepower and was rallied. That must mean its AWD right? I can't find any info on if it was FWD, RWD or AWD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Micra#Super_Turbo

FWD with a limited slip. Looks like it was designed for a spec series.

https://jalopnik.com/is-this-twincharged-nissan-the-most-forgotten-homologat-1653317711
https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/march_super_turbo.html

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Loanarn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8f2n1OOAgA

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Took the ACTIVE WORLD up North on its first big trip and things turned out pretty well.

Dog seal of approval.

Also spotted this camperized RHD TownAce

Only issues at some point some belt started making a huge amount of noise. Turned out it was the alternator belt. My brother and I were discussing this while a person overheard and said that they drove a Delica for 10 years, did his own maintenance and he could have a look. He quickly identified the issue and said the tensioner is really bad and undoes itself all the time. I got this fixed without issue.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
the things I would do to own that

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

SlimManFat posted:

the things I would do to own that

I think all you have to do is spend money. :v:

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

beep-beep car is go posted:

I think all you have to do is spend money. :v:
woah woah woah man no need to get out of hand

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Mazda Titan Camping

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

everdave posted:

Mazda Titan Camping

One day.....one day.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
The only way to authentically drive a kei truck is to be 70+ years old with your geezer leaf sticker in the rear glass, doing 20 under the speed limit on a 2 lane road in the countryside with no overtaking zones. :colbert:

Also

Femtosecond posted:

My brother and I were discussing this while a person overheard and said that they drove a Delica for 10 years, did his own maintenance and he could have a look. He quickly identified the issue and said the tensioner is really bad and undoes itself all the time.

As you do, lol

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 6, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
$100 bucks lighter and I've got all the belts + tensioner on the way for our Jimny. I was looking over the paperwork, since 2014 it had gone 448km total. Belts look a bit ratty and the AC belt slips regardless of adjustment depending on the revs. No evidence of a timing belt ever being done on it but the serpentine belts aren't the originals. The size of the engine and packaging means you don't even have to remove the radiator to get at the timing belt, I'd be surprised if it takes me more than 2 hours to change it all.

Jimnys are loving rad as heck, yeah I've got the AZ-1 too but it's cool as gently caress that both my other half and I have these ultra-cool and fall-in-love-able cars right now. You'd expect that the AZ-1 would get a lot of attention and it does, but the Jimny competes with it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

KakerMix posted:

Jimnys are loving rad as heck, yeah I've got the AZ-1 too but it's cool as gently caress that both my other half and I have these ultra-cool and fall-in-love-able cars right now. You'd expect that the AZ-1 would get a lot of attention and it does, but the Jimny competes with it.

Because that thing is loving amazing and every time I see a picture of it I hate you a little bit (not real hate, jealous hate). If I had the extra $$$, and if the salt up here wouldn't eat a beautiful thing like that in about 3 years, I'd be looking for one.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Odd question, but do any of the Subaru/Toyota/Honda trucks have a bench seat up front for three people? I need a winter vehicle with 4 wheel drive but need to carry 3 people. I like the functionality of the truck, but guess I could do a van if I had to.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gaddamn the Jimnys are tempting. Looking at the statistics it seems like the prices are pretty low, maybe that’s due to how many there are?

I’d love to have one that’s modified to poo poo with those tractor wheels and all but I guess that’s not the shrewdest move.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Had a bid on a really clean Estima and right before it went through they cancelled the auction. I know it happens but first time for me.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

savesthedayrocks posted:

Odd question, but do any of the Subaru/Toyota/Honda trucks have a bench seat up front for three people? I need a winter vehicle with 4 wheel drive but need to carry 3 people. I like the functionality of the truck, but guess I could do a van if I had to.

Some Hiluxes did but good Hiluxes (utes, not Surfs) are hard to come by in Japan now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Siochain posted:

Because that thing is loving amazing and every time I see a picture of it I hate you a little bit (not real hate, jealous hate). If I had the extra $$$, and if the salt up here wouldn't eat a beautiful thing like that in about 3 years, I'd be looking for one.

So get one then get it undercoated? They are super stout little trucks so as long as you goop up the bottom you should be golden.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Since you mention Honda and Subaru I'm assuming you mean kei trucks? There isn't enough space up front for that, you've got about 4.5 feet across to play with for the whole car. A 4WD van in the kei category is the only thing with seating for at least 3 and still being a kei. Or a Jimny, those have back seats too. Most full-size pickups will be quad-cab anyway so if you go that a bench seat up front won't be required though you'll be stuck with Toyota since Honda and Subaru don't have large pickups.

LANCERS

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

I’ve been guilted into cross posting this here. Long over due.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Ask and you shall receive.

You can kinda see the road safety (charm?) hanging below the dash in this picture. so far so good no one has run me over yet.

The smallest little woofer :woof:

And of course the Cappuccino's party trick roof

Those are probably the worst angles gonna try and touch up the front bumper corner and rear qtr myself. If it comes out like total poo poo then its wrapping time.

quote:

It’s a strange car to drive. Just putting around town just feels like a normal car. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it on a long trip in a heartbeat. Handles the highway no prob. And isn’t to uncomfortable to drive. Just happily burbles along. Parking is stupid easy downtown which is nice. But put it on a back road with some hills and twists, it’s a god drat riot grinning from ear to ear. Totally different car. Suzuki really built a real sports car not just something that looks the part. Really needs some real tires though then it’ll become truly go kart like. Still lots of fun to show up dudes with exotics parked around town. Every time I see it and drive it just puts a stupid smile on my face.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

I’ve been guilted into cross posting this here.

:kimchi:

Oh man, I was just wondering whatever became of your little friend. I love the way the little guy looks with OH plates (and that it is what you dreamt).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice Cappo Fievel! I’ve been getting a lot of them looked at, probably bring one home soon. Very cool

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Got the MR2 home finally! Will be posting pics soon. The car was super gross on the outside and literally coated in grime, but the interior is beyond perfect. It even has that 90's Toyota new plastic smell!

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Just so you guys know. Cappos are posted in the Suzuki section under the Model of "Other" pretty frequently. Since they have less eyeballs they usually go for a little less. There are three for sale there now.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2OOjChvuSsURbo.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-cTL0Xlzwr1W7B7H.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-Qi9aciA8ZsHOxc.htm

All low mileage and low starting bids. If I weren't already in debt buying a third car i'd take a stab at the first and third ones.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Frank Dux posted:

Got the MR2 home finally! Will be posting pics soon. The car was super gross on the outside and literally coated in grime, but the interior is beyond perfect. It even has that 90's Toyota new plastic smell!

I wish I could bottle what my Majesta smells like inside. New Toyota. It will be gone as soon as I get the title in the mail.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

THE CLIMAX OF 4WD

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

THE CLIMAX OF 4WD

Not to be a buzzkill but that one has been up a bunch of times keeps getting pulled

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

Not to be a buzzkill but that one has been up a bunch of times keeps getting pulled

Sounds like they might be happy to sell just the spare-wheel cover then?
I now wonder if it would be cheaper to import a spare car for parts or pay shipping and tax on parts each time you need them. Can a car, let's say a Delica, be cut in half to make it "parts" Customs-wise? In an honest way, not a "weld it back together later" way? gently caress, the US lets us do that with machine guns.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

I now wonder if it would be cheaper to import a spare car for parts or pay shipping and tax on parts each time you need them. Can a car, let's say a Delica, be cut in half to make it "parts" Customs-wise? In an honest way, not a "weld it back together later" way? gently caress, the US lets us do that with machine guns.

They are super weird about sending poo poo over. A whole car sure here you go oh wait the umbrella that was in the car not allowed

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

madeintaipei posted:

I know the one dudes in Australia had a turbo hot hatch kei car (forget the name) cut in half and sent to Australia since that satisfied the requirements for there. For here in the USA I imagine it would be the same, although I'm not sure there is any big deal about importing engines vs whole cars.

everdave posted:

They are super weird about sending poo poo over. A whole car sure here you go oh wait the umbrella that was in the car not allowed

There is no hard and fast rule. Used to be that "loose" items couldn't be included in a vehicle when it was shipped, now though you can. The 4 door Pajero we received had a front bullbar in the rear along with the luggage rack, tied down in the cargo area. Also was a tiny little folding stool and some LED lights. This stuff was inventoried on the invoice even, made it through just fine.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I know the one dudes in Australia had a turbo hot hatch kei car (forget the name) cut in half and sent to Australia since that satisfied the requirements for there. For here in the USA I imagine it would be the same, although I'm not sure there is any big deal about importing engines vs whole cars.

There is no hard and fast rule. Used to be that "loose" items couldn't be included in a vehicle when it was shipped, now though you can. The 4 door Pajero we received had a front bullbar in the rear along with the luggage rack, tied down in the cargo area. Also was a tiny little folding stool and some LED lights. This stuff was inventoried on the invoice even, made it through just fine.

My Majesta had a crap ton in the trunk that didn’t t make it over, mainly I wanted the oem Toyota tire chains but they basically told me tough luck

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

My Majesta had a crap ton in the trunk that didn’t t make it over, mainly I wanted the oem Toyota tire chains but they basically told me tough luck

rip

There is a very real possibility that the AZ-1 is a hair taller.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 10, 2018

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KakerMix posted:

Sorry but this is false, the rule is absolutely you cannot ship things in cars. You might be lucky and have a customs agent or port that decides they do not care but the law states no go.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That’s An awesome pic Kaker as usual.

I have an email from JCD saying we could ship whatever now to USA obviously that is not working out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Sorry but this is false, the rule is absolutely you cannot ship things in cars. You might be lucky and have a customs agent or port that decides they do not care but the law states no go.

Yeah the rules say one thing, but reality is another. I'd never run the risk of shipping something I absolutely wanted to be sure that would make it (see my Jimny bumper and tire cover issue earlier) but for ~bonus~ stuff like the bullbar and luggage rack I didn't really care to get, sure shove it in and see.
I say "rule" in the sense of enforcement. Laws that aren't enforced don't really mean much.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Yeah the rules say one thing, but reality is another. I'd never run the risk of shipping something I absolutely wanted to be sure that would make it (see my Jimny bumper and tire cover issue earlier) but for ~bonus~ stuff like the bullbar and luggage rack I didn't really care to get, sure shove it in and see.
I say "rule" in the sense of enforcement. Laws that aren't enforced don't really mean much.

Supposedly my port is the most lax, but I got an email saying my Prado coming to Newport News and I was like no I said Savannah only and 5 minutes later they say oh yeah Savannah. Not going to be here til freaking November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KakerMix posted:

I wouldn't tell someone that its a go tho, Tacoma and Long Beach will make your life miserable if you try to ship anything extra in the car.