Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

most or all of this is just since the all-start break iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Epic High Five posted:

most or all of this is just since the all-start break iirc

His first game at leadoff was the first game after the all-star break, so yeah.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
But but but he cant sustain it!!!!!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

But but but he cant sustain it!!!!!

Correct.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

iospace posted:

Just lol if your stadium doesn't have a roof.

Reminder the Brewers have played more games than every other team in the Central who are still in it.

We don't have a roof at Petco!

We also have 3 rainouts in Petco Park history. :smuggo:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Phillips' HR this afternoon was amazing in every way.

https://www.mlb.com/video/phillips-go-ahead-homer-in-9th/c-2469857883

(Dunno how to embed)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/craigmish/status/1037041594686431232?s=21

Miami’s crimes against baseball continue

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Does the dinger machine exist if no one sees it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

seiferguy posted:

Does the dinger machine exist if no one sees it?

It lives forever in my heart.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The dinger machine will be replaced with a single red balloon that drops from the rafters into the hands of a sad child every time a Marlin hits a home run

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1037461032355201025

RIP my beautiful giant Japanese son.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Well that sucks a whole lot

RIP Showtime

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So why did they decide to have him start pitching again? And why did they not just have him get the surgery when he tore it the first time?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

god damnit angels

So he misses all of next season then?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Intruder posted:

god damnit angels

So he misses all of next season then?

announcing it this late in the season probably means yeah

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wow, it's a good thing he jumped on US free agency this year, so he could pitch a few games and then need surgery.

I don't know if I should still be mad he didn't sign with the Mariners or not.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Depends

I am woefully uninformed about the posting process. Does Ohtani get stuck under team control for six years?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

drat, Ohtani out until 2020 and probably won't pitch again. this stinks

basically since Ohtani was under 23 he was under the general international rules when it came to his MLB contract. so six years of team control, but I think NPB and MLB had to work out a specific deal since his circumstances were different

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Convert ohtani to right fielder

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

The Glumslinger posted:

So why did they decide to have him start pitching again? And why did they not just have him get the surgery when he tore it the first time?

The Doctor that is smarter than you or me said that he could potentially get away with not having surgery so thats what they did. There was nothing to be gained in waiting until spring of next year to test his arm, no additional healing time. It'd either blow up after x number of pitches or it wouldn't. All they did was get it to blow up in September instead of March.

He'll have surgery and maybe they'll have him be available to DH in the second half of next year if they need him in a postseason push. He's too good of a pitcher to have him only DH the rest of his career.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Move my large Japanese ARod son to 3B please.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Throw Ohtani in the trash IMO

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Not surprised but incredibly bummed that Ohtani needs TJS. His velocity took a nose dive on Sunday with Scioscia saying it was due to a stiff back and that his elbow was great.

Kind of like blisters that tore it the first time around.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 5, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://sports.theonion.com/shohei-...utm_campaign=SF

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ohtani was too pure for this world.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like the vast majority of the time where there is a strain (which I am understood to mean is still a minor tear), rehab doesn't seem to work

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like the vast majority of the time where there is a strain (which I am understood to mean is still a minor tear), rehab doesn't seem to work

It probably is a failure more often than not, but Ohtani would've missed next year anyway, and there's a handful of guys like Tanaka, Wainwright, and I think Ervin Santana who all pitched years without issue.

Tommy John still isn't a 100% success rate and if you can try to dodge surgery with a risk free option then you try it.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that's probably true though I don't know how many attempt to rehab and fail. I thought most land on the DL and just go through with the surgery without much of an attempt at rehab. Tanaka and Richards are both the obvious examples of injections working (at least for a little while in Richards' case) and Heaney tried to go that route but ended up getting surgery shortly after when it showed no progress.

From everything that has been reported, the doctor recommended to rehab and test the sprain and progress was really good until now. I dunno whether he should have just had surgery or not, I figure that's between him and his doctor.

e: I think the Angels might have more pitchers on their roster that have had TJS while playing for them than haven't. It's a really long list now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

We also don't really know how many pitchers have tears that they work through that we just never hear about.

As for Ohtani, he was missing all of next season whether he had surgery 2 months ago or in December. There was no harm in trying to rehab it if it had a possibility of working.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

drat, Ohtani out until 2020 and probably won't pitch again. this stinks

basically since Ohtani was under 23 he was under the general international rules when it came to his MLB contract. so six years of team control, but I think NPB and MLB had to work out a specific deal since his circumstances were different

No special deal, it's why a few teams were doing what they could to get more IFA money last offseason.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Today is a sad day in baseball land.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mon2ter

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Pancakes posted:

*Looks at forecast, sees rain*

Yep, time for another Kopech home start.

:smug:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Gorman Thomas posted:

Move my large Japanese ARod son to 3B please.

Thank you for saying that so I didn't have to.

Popete posted:

Agree.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sucks about Ohtani. Weird to say about a dude who can touch 100 but I almost wish he'd just go full slugger because I think he has legit 40+ HR power.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't want Ohtani to become a position player. Being a two way player is incredible and anything less would make me feel sad about what could have been.

Ohtani singlehandedly made me watch the Angels, that's amazing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ohtani also told reporters that more disappointing than anything was discovering he was actually going to play in some lovely town called Anaheim instead of Los Angeles.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

gently caress

As if I was going to watch the atkins BluE JaYs next year now baseball takes away my reason to watch any baseball at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

gently caress

As if I was going to watch the atkins BluE JaYs next year now baseball takes away my reason to watch any baseball at all.

Apparently the Mets are trying to hire Shapiro?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/shapiro-running-vacant-mets-president-job/

• Locked thread