Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How big would the fireball be when one of those hydrogen fuel cell cars crashes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Azuth0667 posted:

How big would the fireball be when one of those hydrogen fuel cell cars crashes?

the same size as the fireball when a gas car crashes. approximately 0.05 Teslas to be specific

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Azuth0667 posted:

Visibly not huge, hydrogen doesn't burn with a really vivid flame so all you'd really see is the stuff it ignites

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It would be kind of cool if they made it into a functioning car, but that's never going to happen.

cumshitter posted:

I just remembered: on my drive to work today I saw one of those car carrying trucks, but with 6 Teslas on it.

normally i dont notice or care, but only one of them had any sort of protection. a single car was wrapped in looseish-cloth and the rest were completely bare. one of them looked like they might have had blue protective plastic strips on the chrome trim around the windshield, but that was inconsistent or made up of mismatched parts.
Mismatched trim cover isn't bad, but a bunch of unprotected cars at highway speed are how you get major paint defects.
There was a paper from last year that I'm pretty sure recently passed peer review showing a low energy way of using a special membrane to crack ammonia into hydrogen and nitrogen, allowing pure hydrogen to be generated on site next to refueling sites economically. It looks like it can be scaled up for commercial use as-is. I've briefly driven a couple of hydrogen fuel cell cars and they were nice to drive, same instant torque and acceleration as a battery powered EV but without the hundreds of pounds of batteries. When you can push everyone back into the seat in a GMC Envoy in a parking lot without hitting full throttle, I feel like it has promise.

Karl Sharks posted:

i think it's more the "rare" being in the name, and not being used until recently so the full deposits aren't as mapped out as say oil

you get stuff like this when we start really looking:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/12/japan-rare-earths-huge-deposit-of-metals-found-in-pacific.html

granted, they have to do a proper survey to see how economically viable, or more accurately at what price point it'd be viable, excavation is here, buuuut

:popeye:
There's also a recent study showing you can dope absorbent materials to extract specific heavy metals from seawater at a price point that makes it competitive with commercial mining. They started with Uranium and Thorium for the proof of concept, which is great considering the environmental nightmare strip mining for them is.

GWBBQ has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Sep 6, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FAUXTON posted:

Visibly not huge, hydrogen doesn't burn with a really vivid flame so all you'd really see is the stuff it ignites

the energy density is way lower than gasoline though, so it'd probably be highly compressed, and if the tank ruptured you might get a wicked depressurization event.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
the viability or unviability of hydrogen vehicles has nothing to do with elon being a gigantic moron and tesla being a gigantic scam though

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

There was a paper from last year that I'm pretty sure recently passed peer review showing a low energy way of using a special membrane to crack ammonia into hydrogen and nitrogen, allowing pure hydrogen to be generated on site next to refueling sites economically. It looks like it can be scaled up for commercial use as-is.

No doubt this exciting technology is only 5-10 years away from commercial viability

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rastor posted:

I dunno, I guess you have to get out of your seat

where does the prostitute sit?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

there's plenty of spaced for a hogtied lady behind the seat

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
what trucking company or Jack Burton type of self-owning trucker that probably doesn’t exist anymore would bother getting a Tesla semi?

I can get that it’s essentially a step closer to self-driving trucks but really why?

a few are definitely going to be purchased by rich Musk fans just for fun.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

lap

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

what trucking company or Jack Burton type of self-owning trucker that probably doesn’t exist anymore would bother getting a Tesla semi?

I can get that it’s essentially a step closer to self-driving trucks but really why?

An EV semi has a workable market niche for companies that own their own trucks, distribution centers, and stores. Of course Tesla will manage to gently caress this up, but if you own both ends so you can install chargers and expect the trucks to sit there unloading anyway it can make decent sense for short/medium haul.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Distillate ain't cheap. This is Trump's America though, we should work to repeal environmental laws and burn all the post 2020 high sulfur bunkers in semis instead

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rastor posted:

No doubt this exciting technology is only 5-10 years away from commercial viability
They say 2-3 years; the technology is ready to go and they just need to set up commercial manufacturing to produce enough hydrogen to be viable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just noticed this after over a year of ownership..

https://i.imgur.com/I8fXUdm.mp4

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

evilweasel posted:

a reporter doesn't have to care if his subject is giving him NDA-covered information. his source can get sued if he finds out, but you can't sue the reporter for getting the info (unless you pay him for it, perhaps).

who has the rights to enforce NDAs depends on what happens to Theranos's assets. I haven't seen if they're filing a Chapter 7 liquidation, a private liquidation, a Chapter 11 reorganization, or what. if someone buys the assets, they may acquire the right to enforce the NDAs. if nobody buys Theranos's rights under the NDAs, then the contract is no longer valid because it's with an entity that no longer exists.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Dr. Killjoy posted:

The Tesla semi will be the grand prize for the double elimination in the Over The Top remake.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I still can't believe that the aging British expat in Thailand is the good guy in this or any other saga.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

orcinus posted:

Speaking of door handles...

The S handles break down frequently, because the “auto-present” motion is driven by a lovely cast rack and pinion (instead of machined, which is what i’d expect for the price of the part and the car). That keep stripping and just flat out cracking into pieces.

Lol they can't figure out the highly advanced process of making a gear that doesn't break that the rest of the world mastered literally 700 years ago when the hot tech trend was still "put big clock on top of church"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/1037564161117642752?s=21

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Holy poo poo just shave your head pal

Like what even are you thinking you're doing with this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I still can't believe that the aging British expat in Thailand is the good guy in this or any other saga.

It seems like he may have ended up in Thailand because he met his Thai wife in the UK or something, which is a fairly legitimate reason to end up in Thailand (well, that plus the caves or w/e).

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

FAUXTON posted:

Holy poo poo just shave your head pal

Like what even are you thinking you're doing with this

big head is big head, hair or not

so what happens when one of the fabled tesla semis is put into autopilot and slams to a stop on a major freeway

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shiksa posted:

big head is big head, hair or not

so what happens when one of the fabled tesla semis is put into autopilot and slams to a stop on a major freeway

objects in motion remain in motion until impact

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

FAUXTON posted:

objects in motion remain in motion until impact

science rules!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtVJdPfm0F8

MUSK

MUSK

MUSK

MUSK

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
All this talk of hydrogen fuel cells is giving me flashbacks to Bush and Gore both championing them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Want to see the Tesla semi take on the 11foot8 bridge

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ilmucche posted:

why not just raise the stock price?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilmucche posted:

Scalp those battery cells like a can opener

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ilmucche posted:

setting speed to 118 mph

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Sep 6, 2018

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Azuth0667 posted:

Hydrogen is actually not that easy to ignite from a highly pressurized cylinder. The gas's momentum tends to put the fire out. I'd rather be in a fuel fire from a hydrogen car than a fossil fuel car any day. It also rises vs. fossil fuels which pool so you get a jet upwards that doesn't last for very long. A five gallon tank at 700 bar (which is what tanks are currently rated for) is equivalent to a tank of gas. There's a lot of focus on refilling with similar metrics to fossil fuels though which leads to annoying storage issues for a "hydrogen gas station." In order to fill up in a few minutes it has to be stored at -40C which is a pretty big cost. Improving the tanks' ability to withstand the large temperature rise from high speed fueling or taking a few more minutes to refuel would help with that but god forbid anyone be inconvenienced more than they already are at the pump as it is.

The future of hydrogen storage is in a solid form though.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

voted 5 (head)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

:vince:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

orcinus posted:

Speaking of central driving position...

Audi E-tron concept has that poo poo.
It moves the seat towards the door when you're exiting / entering, and scoots off to the center when you close the door and the stupid little armrest / safety ramp.

I love the idea of central driving position, but for almost every application which is not race car driver, they end up as a hindrance.

Not to say, they can't look cool:

Dreamliner :allears:

More recently:

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 11:49 on Sep 6, 2018

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

mid century modern will never be bested

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
turns out people will sue you if they survive your killer robot car experience

tl;dr: the lady whose car accelerated into a parked firetruck is suing tesla. tesla says "autopilot doesn't make the car impervious to accidents"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

infernal machines posted:

turns out people will sue you if they survive your killer robot car experience

tl;dr: the lady whose car accelerated into a parked firetruck is suing tesla. tesla says "autopilot doesn't make the car impervious to accidents"

Ye jist kint expeeckt de kaah tee stay still an evoid steetioneery veheeckles

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Stop with the C-SPAM crap. Tesla are not nearly insolvent and if the guidance is even half accurate - and almost every legit report says Tesla WILL make 51,000 Model 3's so it looking highly likely, let alone the continued sales of X and S meaning Tesla is going to be producing close to 68,000 cars in Q3 - https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/ - then the cash burn is going to be very much reduced in Q3 - capital costs are going to be noticably down, revenue will be up by anything close to 500 million. 2.8 Billion revenue in Model 3 alone if the average price of 56,000 USD is to be believed (and it appears ot be correct)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
is that from that hobo guy that popped in here from d&d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

its rude to do this and strip the shame link