Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

I don't want Ohtani to become a position player. Being a two way player is incredible and anything less would make me feel sad about what could have been.

Ohtani singlehandedly made me watch the Angels, that's amazing.

This is where I was at the start of the season but now we're not going to see him at all until 2020 and he's going to have to come back both as a pitcher and a hitter after TJS. I mean hey, maybe he does and he's healthy for the rest of his career and becomes Babe Ruth 2.0, but given the choice between him constantly battling injury for his entire career trying to two-way or just being a fantastic slugger, I'd rather see the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

It's really hard to believe anything by Rogers sports media commentary after their gaming of Donaldson and Gibby.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

This is where I was at the start of the season but now we're not going to see him at all until 2020 and he's going to have to come back both as a pitcher and a hitter after TJS. I mean hey, maybe he does and he's healthy for the rest of his career and becomes Babe Ruth 2.0, but given the choice between him constantly battling injury for his entire career trying to two-way or just being a fantastic slugger, I'd rather see the latter.
If he is that hobbled by injury for that long, he'll eventually give up on pitching. But there's no reason to think that time is now.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hi, just checked around but is there a dedicated Cubs thread yet? :)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

It's really hard to believe anything by Rogers sports media commentary after their gaming of Donaldson and Gibby.

Yeah, I can understand that. The Jays have hope in their prospects but man alive everything else about the org seems dire

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Burt Sexual posted:

Hi, just checked around but is there a dedicated Cubs thread yet? :)

Right here.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, I can understand that. The Jays have hope in their prospects but man alive everything else about the org seems dire

Anyone who likes the Jays should listen to Dan Schulman's podcast A Swing And A Belt, specifically the latest episode "Touch 'em all Joe". Maybe it's just me but I heard, in that episode, about a team so differently put together than anything I've seen since 2000. Yeah, it's the 92/93 Jays and yes, it's Pat Gillick's team and yeah I'm kind of good ol daysing rn but there is a general attitude I sensed that I haven't felt in Rogers Blue Jays ever.

im kidding baseball is cold and undramatic, it was the alomar/carter trade

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Anyone who likes the Jays should listen to Dan Schulman's podcast A Swing And A Belt, specifically the latest episode "Touch 'em all Joe". Maybe it's just me but I heard, in that episode, about a team so differently put together than anything I've seen since 2000. Yeah, it's the 92/93 Jays and yes, it's Pat Gillick's team and yeah I'm kind of good ol daysing rn but there is a general attitude I sensed that I haven't felt in Rogers Blue Jays ever.

im kidding baseball is cold and undramatic, it was the alomar/carter trade

I'm Canadian but not a Jays fan. But man, it seemed like any time they wanted something they just went and got it. Amazing what a payroll and competent executives can accomplish.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm going to cherish Ohtani's first half of this year. It was magical and I hope to see it again when he comes back.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ty sir

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

quote:

ANAHEIM, CA—Kicking himself for not considering the potential consequences of his hasty career decision, Shohei Ohtani told reporters Wednesday that he regrets not researching which teams were good prior to signing with the Los Angeles Angels.

Tokyo Sports

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Apparently Ohtani hit two dingers tonight?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Some Numbers posted:

And stole a base (and took 3rd on the error overthrow).

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He’s something special

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You've gotta make Ohtani a long term hitter. He easily has JD Martinez levels of potential.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Would there be as long of a recovery time for his TJS if he just DH'ed?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

You've gotta make Ohtani a long term hitter. He easily has JD Martinez levels of potential.

Ugh this is all so depressing, just the thought of Ohtani becoming J.D. Martinez and we find his Hirohito quote, gun rights Tweets 5 years from now.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Some Numbers posted:

4-4, 2HR, BB, SB tonight actually

It is amazing how good of a hitter he has become so quickly. If he didn't have ace potential as a starter you'd consider just keeping him at DH full time or even getting him to try LF or 1B or something like that.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ohtani says gently caress UCL damage, I'm gonna hit two dongs tonight.

I'm happy I got to see him in what may be his last pitching performance in awhile.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Your Taint posted:

Would there be as long of a recovery time for his TJS if he just DH'ed?

Well position players have like 3-6 months less recovery time iirc. So... maybe not?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Position players have a shorter recovery time, yes, but if they intend to bring him back as a pitcher it doesn't seem like a great idea to let him start DHing in the second half next year or whatever. Who knows how that would affect his recovery as a pitcher? It's completely uncharted territory.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There is literally no reason to let Ohtani play a single game for the rest of this season so I have no doubt the Angels will make him the everyday DH from here on

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah if he's coming back as a pitcher then I believe the absolute best case scenario would be him back on the mound 12 months from the surgery. So if he went under the knife tomorrow and his recovery/rehab went off without a hitch, he could maybe throw a bit out of the bullpen for the last couple weeks of September next year. Much more likely is that he won't be back until the start of the 2020 season.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
drat, is there a single angelsposter here

How is a team with Ohtani and Mike Trout so lovely and unloved lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My main question would be: if he got surgery this week or next week (which he loving should get on that poo poo Angels) could he play DH next season relatively risk free while also rehabbing to pitch again?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

Good Dog is a our resident Angels fan.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SA2K is also an Angels fan but I don't think he ever posts in the baseball threads

What ever happened to cams?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

My main question would be: if he got surgery this week or next week (which he loving should get on that poo poo Angels) could he play DH next season relatively risk free while also rehabbing to pitch again?

No-one really knows because it's never been done before. I can't imagine that taking full-effort swings could be anything but bad for a healing elbow but I am extremely not a doctor.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

GalacticAcid posted:

Rally monkey, Mike Soscia, Anaheim.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

I am the only Angels fan here, I live in Anaheim, and I hate them.

I was at Ohtani's first home start where he was perfect through 6.1. It was the most dominant I've seen an Angels starter pitch.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 6, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I watched that one on my laptop.

He’s really fun to watch and I hope he heals quickly and sees a playoff run sometime soon

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm moving to the area and will totally be on the Angels bandwagon radio flyer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was at Ohtani's MLB debut vs the A's and it was pretty hype. Took awhile for him to settle down and work into his velo but once he did he was mowing 'em down.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Good Dog posted:

I am the only Angels fan here, I live in Anaheim, and I hate them.

I was at Ohtani's first home start where he was perfect through 6.1. It was the most dominant I've seen an Angels starter pitch.

I used to live in Westminster and I still love the Angels, and also hate them. Much like Dante Bichette I figured out Colorado was better and moved here in 1993, so the Rockies are on TV and now my heart is torn between the Angels and the Rockies and boy, does life suck. But it's pretty cool right now.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
In more good Jays news: they got Rowdy

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1037514272165646337

Also in AA Bichette took a swing that is probably best described as "givner."

https://twitter.com/FisherCats/status/1037491896787128321

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

This is so cool! Doolittle literally offered up 10k to a charity of any players choice that hit a homer off of him and gave the most insane bat flip ever up to and including pretending the bat was a bazooka and firing it at the sky.

He seriously offered to match any fine MLB put out in the name of "stop making fun things not fun, and I will send it to charity to make fun more fun even at my expense not only money wise but even if I'm the pitcher who gives up the homer".

Probably the best baseball story I have heard this year, not even a Nationals fan but dang! I think he is doing more to promote MLB then MLB is at this point!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It was a joke. He literally can't promote things like that. (Doolittle owns, though).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

I love the Angels. Between Justin Upton, Ohtani and Trout they're great fun AND their broadcasts aren't poo poo! I with they were NL so I could legit root for them and the Jays.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lmao

https://theathletic.com/508164/2018/09/06/breaking-fox-sport-detroits-mario-impemba-and-rod-allen-involved-in-physical-altercation/

quote:

When Mickey​​ York and Craig Monroe threw to the booth during Wednesday night’s broadcast of Fox Sports Detroit’s “Tigers Live” pregame show, an unexpected duo appeared on screen — that of Matt Shepard and Kirk Gibson.

Conspicuously absent from the show was the regular tandem of play-by-play announcer Mario Impemba and analyst Rod Allen.

Multiple sources told The Athletic that neither Impemba nor Allen were part of Wednesday’s broadcast due to a physical altercation between the two television personalities following Tuesday’s game in Chicago against the White Sox. It is not immediately clear what prompted the attack.

According to the accounts of those sources, there has been simmering tension between both Impemba and Allen and the clash of personalities ultimately boiled over on Tuesday night.

Both Shepard and Gibson had to be brought in to Chicago at last-minute’s notice, according to at least one source. Another source said that Impemba’s and Allen’s travel arrangements back to Detroit were booked separately to avoid further issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It was a joke. He literally can't promote things like that. (Doolittle owns, though).

He can't and isn't allowed but have you seen the other stuff he has promoted? Seems like a pretty good guy I think?

• Locked thread