Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
anyone try those practice interview sites? i booked a couple interviews at the free ones (triplebyte, interviewing.io, pramp) for next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have a triplebyte interview coming up. only thing i've read was from a few years ago and people were complaining that the interviewers were dicks, but i dont know how current that is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i have a triplebyte interview coming up. only thing i've read was from a few years ago and people were complaining that the interviewers were dicks, but i dont know how current that is.

they were huge dicks to me. I had a fully working connect 4 game in 15 minutes but I accidentally had it printing the board upside down. time came up while I was in the middle of fixing it and he cut me off, said he saw all he needed and we didn't need to do any of the other questions and I got a rejection email an hour later.

they were huge assholes about lack of a Webcam too

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

jit bull transpile posted:

they were huge dicks to me. I had a fully working connect 4 game in 15 minutes but I accidentally had it printing the board upside down. time came up while I was in the middle of fixing it and he cut me off, said he saw all he needed and we didn't need to do any of the other questions and I got a rejection email an hour later.

they were huge assholes about lack of a Webcam too

welp

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Turns out I didn't flunk the interview and they've invited me for a full loop at their HQ in Seattle. Let's see how this goes.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I had an excellent experience with triple byte but I may be an outlier idk

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

prisoner of waffles posted:

new thread idea: "We Are The Walrus: ambienposting ONLY! (~~DON'T DOX YOURSELF YOSPOS GHOST~~~)"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

You can always tell when I'm ambienposting because it makes sense and may actually contain useful information.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qhat posted:

Turns out I didn't flunk the interview and they've invited me for a full loop at their HQ in Seattle. Let's see how this goes.
is this Amazon? if it's a job developing online systems, ask how often pager duty is required & how many times the team has been paged in the last month

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

is this Amazon? if it's a job developing online systems, ask how often pager duty is required & how many times the team has been paged in the last month

No but they tenuously compete with them and are much smaller.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Peeny Cheez posted:

You can always tell when I'm ambienposting because it makes sense and may actually contain useful information.

awfully roundabout way to say you've never taken ambien

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qhat posted:

No but they tenuously compete with them and are much smaller.

so microsoft, then?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fiedler posted:

so microsoft, then?

I wish.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

I wish.

dreamhost

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

awfully roundabout way to say you've never taken ambien
I like to take the scenic route. Sue me.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

They're in L.A., not Seattle. Sounds about right for their interview process, tho. Those guys were dicks.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qhat posted:

I wish.

i suspect there'll be some positions opening up real soon in azure storage

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's all expenses paid including gas and I get to hangout with some friends I have in Seattle for a couple of days, so it's a good result whether I get the job or not.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fiedler posted:

i suspect there'll be some positions opening up real soon in azure storage

There already are.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

qhat posted:

you probably didn't flunk as hard as you thought and they like your qualifications better than your binary tree serialization skills :unsmith:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
accepted an offer at a medium sized edtech company after some minor negotiation. ended up with +25% over current figgies plus better benefits. very down-to-earth feeling, it's a pretty uncomplicated product and they don't do any grandstanding about ~d i s r u p t i o n~. also very good feeling about the team and the development process, no "move fast and break things" poo poo.

the last three months of job searching and interviewing has sucked so much rear end and has had me on the edge of a nervous breakdown several times. i'm so glad to have it done. fuckkkk this poo poo.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 6, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TheFluff posted:

accepted an offer at a medium sized edtech company after some minor negotiation. ended up with +25% over current figgies plus better benefits. very down-to-earth feeling, it's a pretty uncomplicated product and they don't do any grandstanding about ~d i s r u p t i o n~. also very good feeling about the team and the development process, no "move fast and break things" poo poo.

the last three months of job searching and interviewing has sucked so much rear end and has had me on a nervous breakdown several times. i'm so glad to have it done. fuckkkk this poo poo.

working with adults that treat you like an adult is real good, yeah

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TheFluff posted:

the last three months of job searching and interviewing has sucked so much rear end and has had me on the edge of a nervous breakdown several times. i'm so glad to have it done. fuckkkk this poo poo.

Good job. Upgrade thy vehicle.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i got a email from a robert half recruiter about a position that look interesting. i kinda hate robert half, should i just end-around and apply directly?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah absolutely, gently caress recruiters

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Robert half is garbage and if you know what the position is you should apply directly.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Always apply directly if they let slip the company name. Always. Because gently caress those clowns.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
ha, the startup with the really involved interview process advanced me to step #2. I thought I didn't do that great, so that's kind of cool. more practice for the jobs i care more about getting

i also have technical onsite and phone interviews coming up at several big-name tech companies and i don't wanna gently caress them up since they make you wait a year to interview again if you fail. i have the real fear that i will self-own into eternal unemployment.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Peeny Cheez posted:

Always apply directly if they let slip the company name. Always. Because gently caress those clowns.

Even if they don't (which they won't, for this reason) sometimes you can figure out what the company is with a bit of careful Googling. Then, yeah, def apply direct and score that extra salary that would otherwise be going to their commission.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

qhat posted:

Robert half is garbage and if you know what the position is you should apply directly.

i got my current job through robert half, weird seeing that name here because I thought it was just some weird "western sounding" company here in japan, instead of a multinational.

their recruiter absolutely sucked at salary negotiations as well, but the job itself is ok so far

i am going to have some frank discussions about the salary soon though seeing as my 6 month trial period (welcome to japan) is finished and i now feel more confident that if there is no better deal i can walk away and not have it seem like a red flag in any future interview process

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Robert Half is loving terrible and no one should work with them.

There are plenty of good external recruiting companies, where the recruiter does add some value to the process and treats you like a human being instead of forcing you into a job you don't want. They will also buy you lunches.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

EVGA Longoria posted:

Robert Half is loving terrible and no one should work with them.

There are plenty of good external recruiting companies, where the recruiter does add some value to the process and treats you like a human being instead of forcing you into a job you don't want. They will also buy you lunches.

Agree with the "gently caress RHT" sentiment. Even Teksystems was better than those assholes. Around here RHT places for the same jobs as Teksystems but makes you waste your goddamn time with skills assessments and their pre-representation agreement asks you to enter your SSN (as in, full-9). :wtc:

It's like, no: you're not running a credit check on me for the privelage of submitting my loving resume and taking 10% off the top. gently caress off.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

last recruiter never bought me the lunch he promised so gently caress Recruiters Forever

oh he also called me up 6 months after I started here, presumably the day his commission cheque cleared

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I still have these assholes calling me up in the middle of the day without notice asking if I need a job. One of them tried calling multiple times while I was in a meeting, so I took it only to realise it was just a stupid recruiter from TS. I told them to gently caress off and remove me from their systems, which I'm not entirely sure they did.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

qhat posted:

I still have these assholes calling me up in the middle of the day without notice asking if I need a job. One of them tried calling multiple times while I was in a meeting, so I took it only to realise it was just a stupid recruiter from TS. I told them to gently caress off and remove me from their systems, which I'm not entirely sure they did.

You know the answer to this

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

low rate recruiters will often just copy the original company's job posting wholesale so you can usually find the original listing by just googling a few snippets

ive found 3rd party recruiters to be pretty useful in terms of lining up interviews, sometimes even at places that arent posting publicly for some bizarre reason, but their quality can vary a lot and id rather just talk to the companies directly honestly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got a job through Robert half and the recruiter bought me a total of 3 lunch's throughout our working relationship

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

low rate recruiters will often just copy the original company's job posting wholesale so you can usually find the original listing by just googling a few snippets

last recruiter mail came to my work address, and had the company name in the body text

peak lazy, can't even search and replace

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

yeah but dont you think the recruiting company might have a clause in their contract saying they will still get their commission even if the candidate ends up going directly to the company?

if they have a contract of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Penisface posted:

yeah but dont you think the recruiting company might have a clause in their contract saying they will still get their commission even if the candidate ends up going directly to the company?

if they have a contract of course

How would they know, if the company is also advertising directly? If the recruiting company somehow has an exclusive contract then you're boned anyway.