Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

If I win the lottery I’m going to buy some kind of gulfstream and pay two idiots way under nbaa average because it’s a “stepping stone”

Edit: and those mfers are totally paying for their type ratings

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Arson Daily posted:

If I win the lottery I’m going to buy some kind of gulfstream and pay two idiots way under nbaa average because it’s a “stepping stone”

Edit: and those mfers are totally paying for their type ratings

I know a guy who paid for a Lear 45 rating $12k for three months of spotty work and then got stiffed by his boss out of his last paycheck

135 is a land of contrasts

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Thanks to a very nice corporate pilot from Minnesota who stopped in at the flying club where I work today, I got to sit in one of my ultimate dream airplanes: the PC-12.

That poo poo is nice and if I hit the lottery I am going to buy one. Assuming that won't happen, I'm going to try and hook myself up with a similar corporate gig because that plane is sweet!

I’ve got about 650 hours in them, it flies every bit as good as you imagine.

a patagonian cavy posted:

I know a guy who paid for a Lear 45 rating $12k for three months of spotty work and then got stiffed by his boss out of his last paycheck

135s are either just the absolutely best places to work or have management that is borderline criminally negligent, there is nothing in between.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

My dream lottery plane is similar: TBM :swoon:

TBMs running down Citations and Phenoms is one of the best things.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've had a Skylane start to creep up on a 767 on final before. Nothing surprises me anymore.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Ferret King posted:

I've had a Skylane start to creep up on a 767 on final before. Nothing surprises me anymore.

That doesn't surprise me too much, after flying with various students.

"Why are you descending at 110 kts in the circuit OH DEAR LORD NO DON'T TOUCH THE FLAPS!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So I just looked it up, and the PC-12 doesn't require a type rating in Canada :getin:

Now, to win the lottery...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

So I just looked it up, and the PC-12 doesn't require a type rating in Canada :getin:

Now, to win the lottery...

Lets start a goon 91(k)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

My LR60 135 gig was gracious enough to just dock my accepted pay scale to pay for the training. They didn’t tell me until I moved there and finished school.

Quitting that job with no notice felt like nothing else. Eat poo poo, assholes.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Hey guys, I made a little website to get text message alerts for TFRs. Feel free to use it. Not fully tested yet, so any feedback on if it works for you or not would be appreciated!

http://www.tfrtext.com

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
One of my more satisfying moments in aviation is getting told to slow down for a 737 in my clapped out Beech 99. 60 knot overtake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I sent a student for his first solo, for the first time yesterday! Rather unlike my first flight test recommend, it went extremely well, and then I got to drench him with a bucket of water :v:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

Thanks to a very nice corporate pilot from Minnesota who stopped in at the flying club where I work today, I got to sit in one of my ultimate dream airplanes: the PC-12.

That poo poo is nice and if I hit the lottery I am going to buy one. Assuming that won't happen, I'm going to try and hook myself up with a similar corporate gig because that plane is sweet!

Animal posted:

My dream lottery plane is similar: TBM :swoon:

PT6A posted:

I also like the TBM very much, but I think the PC-12 edges it out by just a bit because of its excellent short-field performance and greater payload, in my books at least.

Suffice to say, I would consider it to be a dream job if I got hired to fly either one. There's something that appeals to me about them that I just don't get from jets.
I loved flying the PC-12. Stable, nice usable load, and great performance. The TBM is nothing to scoff at but I'd prefer the bigger cabin and enclosed toilet.

I know a company hiring for the PC-12. :D

e.pilot posted:

I’ve got about 650 hours in them, it flies every bit as good as you imagine.
Did you fly all the models or just one? I ended up with about 1,400 combined time in them

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The PC-12 is certainly more practical, but I like the TBM precisely because its smaller and more personal, like flying your own high end sports car vs flying your own high end SUV

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AWSEFT posted:

I loved flying the PC-12. Stable, nice usable load, and great performance. The TBM is nothing to scoff at but I'd prefer the bigger cabin and enclosed toilet.

I know a company hiring for the PC-12. :D

Did you fly all the models or just one? I ended up with about 1,400 combined time in them

Just the /45 and /47, my company was too cheap for NGs

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Animal posted:

The PC-12 is certainly more practical, but I like the TBM precisely because its smaller and more personal, like flying your own high end sports car vs flying your own high end SUV

True, and operating single-pilot the lav doesn't make a bit of difference anyway :v:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal posted:

I just bought an SUV so.......

PT6A posted:

True, and operating single-pilot the lav doesn't make a bit of difference anyway :v:

But the PC-12 has a "pilot relief tube" option, don't think the TBM does. :eek:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Any other instructors have advice on how to deal with a student who really, really wants to flight test this weekend to make a deadline for an aviation college, despite already failing one flight test (and how!), and turning in a rather poo poo flight during our review today (we're talking at least one outright failed item, and two that were right on the line)?

I don't want to be some didactic prick going "you must learn patience and judgement, young padawan" and crushing his dream for a year, but on the other hand I really, really don't want another flight test failure on my record, our flight today didn't go particularly well, and getting a DPE on short notice like this would already be nearly asking the impossible. Also this lack of judgement is a bad sign beyond the flight test because it could very literally be deadly in this profession -- like, better pilots than he (or I) have died because they made a bad choice under time pressure, and I explained as much but I guess it didn't sink in because 18-year-olds are constitutionally incapable of taking that poo poo seriously or something.

I'd be a poo poo doctor, because I'm terrible at delivering bad news.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Do failures impact you at all in America’s hat? I’d express to him that a failure won’t look good on his record and where he is current at and demonstrated he will very likely fail (which it sounds like you’ve done) and if he keeps pressing sign him off and let him make his bed

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Do failures impact you at all in America’s hat? I’d express to him that a failure won’t look good on his record and where he is current at and demonstrated he will very likely fail (which it sounds like you’ve done) and if he keeps pressing sign him off and let him make his bed

Yes, if we get three failures out of the previous 10, they have a talk with the chief instructor of the flight training unit to see if there's a deficiency in our technique or something. I mean, ultimately I don't give much of a gently caress because I know I could re-do my instructor rating flight test tomorrow and pass it, but I'd rather not have that reputation.

I'm at 0-1 right now, and it wasn't even a partial failure (1 or 2 failed items, eligible for a partial re-test on those items), it was a full-on hardcore fail, so I've basically got a really poo poo record right now and I would very much like it to not get any worse. My problem right now seems to be making sure my students react well under pressure, and deliver a consistent performance instead of hot and cold.

EDIT: I hadn't thought of talking about how a record of failed flight test looks on one's record, that's a good angle. Mind you, I partialed on my first, and no one's said poo poo since :v:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I don't even fly simulators so I'm completely ignorant, but I'm kind of blown away by someone not being shaken at failing a test like that and just carrying on as if nothing happened.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 6, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Call in sick?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Stringent posted:

I don't even fly simulators so I'm completely ignorant, but I'm kind of blown away by someone not being shaken at failing a test like that and just carrying on as if nothing happened.

Yeah, uh, you're not wrong. That's a pretty reasonable reaction, and you are normal for having it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

Any other instructors have advice on how to deal with a student who really, really wants to flight test this weekend to make a deadline for an aviation college, despite already failing one flight test (and how!), and turning in a rather poo poo flight during our review today (we're talking at least one outright failed item, and two that were right on the line)?

I don't want to be some didactic prick going "you must learn patience and judgement, young padawan" and crushing his dream for a year, but on the other hand I really, really don't want another flight test failure on my record, our flight today didn't go particularly well, and getting a DPE on short notice like this would already be nearly asking the impossible. Also this lack of judgement is a bad sign beyond the flight test because it could very literally be deadly in this profession -- like, better pilots than he (or I) have died because they made a bad choice under time pressure, and I explained as much but I guess it didn't sink in because 18-year-olds are constitutionally incapable of taking that poo poo seriously or something.

I don't know exactly how things work in Canada, but can you have him do a mock checkride with another instructor? I had a couple of students like that, and having them go through the checkride process with someone who wasn't their normal instructor generally served to get the point across that it wasn't just me being a dick about things.

If all else fails and this person is hell-bent on taking the checkride, I'm assuming you can simply refuse to sign them off or recommend them for the test, which is a perfectly legitimate course of action, since you're not only keeping them from doing something stupid, but you're protecting yourself and making a good judgement call in the process.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 6, 2018

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PT6A posted:

With everything else: remind him that this is aviation, and sometimes things don't happen at a specific time just because you really want them to. Planes may not be ready due to maintenance, flights may not be ready due to weather, pilots may not be ready due to fatigue, and he may not be ready due to training. Wanting it more doesn't make it happen earlier. Rushing to get things done at the last minute does not produce a quality result. From our previous examples: missed maintenance items, scud running, loss of judgment, and bad pilots. Take the time, do it right, and try to learn why it took longer than expected so you won't make that mistake next time.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I had a very similar situation with a terrible student and in the end I sat down with him and explained that it wasn’t gonna happen and that he should seriously consider whether being a pilot was a wise decision. He cried, thanked me, and walked away.

It felt bad but later that year I had another terrible former student get killed in a Twin Comanche, after which I lost any qualms letting someone know they have no business inside a cockpit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

I had a very similar situation with a terrible student and in the end I sat down with him and explained that it wasn’t gonna happen and that he should seriously consider whether being a pilot was a wise decision. He cried, thanked me, and walked away.

It felt bad but later that year I had another terrible former student get killed in a Twin Comanche, after which I lost any qualms letting someone know they have no business inside a cockpit.

I’m currently having to contemplate washing out my current trainee (ATC,) because he just has no business putting a headset on. Some people are just wired for certain things, and not for others, and no amount of training can overcome that.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Any hot tips on not being one of Those People? Other than "have a sense of self-reflection"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Animal posted:

I have a student like that -- not the student I've been talking about, a different one -- and apparently three or four instructors apart from myself have had that conversation with him, in addition to basically wearing out his welcome completely at another flight school, yet he persists. I'm sure as gently caress not sending him solo, though. And it's easy because he's also a wanker on a personal level and I don't even feel sorry for him any more.

That's different from my student with the flight test failure. He's going to be a good pilot some day, he just needs to recognize that he's probably 10-15 hours away from a reliable flight test pass instead of 2, and he also needs to have better insight into how impatience is affecting his decision-making. His PDM has been generally good, except as it concerns this stupid college application deadline and his flight test, where it has been poo poo.

azflyboy posted:

I don't know exactly how things work in Canada, but can you have him do a mock checkride with another instructor? I had a couple of students like that, and having them go through the checkride process with someone who wasn't their normal instructor generally served to get the point across that it wasn't just me being a dick about things.

Yes, in fact as a junior instructor (class 4 in our system) I am required to have them do so with a class 2 or 1 instructor. He did that, and my supervising instructor signed off while noting there were a few weaknesses. He's going to be doing another one on Friday with a different instructor he's never flown with before, so I'm hoping that will work out. I mean, honestly, before yesterday, he'd been flying really well with me -- I wouldn't have recommended him for the flight test if he hadn't been -- but then the flight test went poorly and after yesterday's flight, I see why.

I've also got another student who's extremely hot-and-cold who went on their supervisory pre-flight-test and it went similarly poorly, and as much as I'm 90% sure it's not my fault, all my students at this stage seem to have problems performing consistently and judging their own performance and readiness, and I can't help but wonder if there's something I'm doing or not doing as an instructor that's causing this.

quote:

If all else fails and this person is hell-bent on taking the checkride, I'm assuming you can simply refuse to sign them off or recommend them for the test, which is a perfectly legitimate course of action, since you're not only keeping them from doing something stupid, but you're protecting yourself and making a good judgement call in the process.

Yeah, that's basically what I have to do, I'm just wondering if there's a tactful way of saying "it's going to get done, but it ain't gonna get done on your arbitrary schedule and there's nothing anyone can do about it." I'm trying to lead him to that conclusion on his own, mainly so I don't have to be the rear end in a top hat (unfortunately, that's part of my job whether I like it or not), but he's just such an optimist :v:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

With everything else: remind him that this is aviation, and sometimes things don't happen at a specific time just because you really want them to. Planes may not be ready due to maintenance, flights may not be ready due to weather, pilots may not be ready due to fatigue, and he may not be ready due to training. Wanting it more doesn't make it happen earlier. Rushing to get things done at the last minute does not produce a quality result. From our previous examples: missed maintenance items, scud running, loss of judgment, and bad pilots. Take the time, do it right, and try to learn why it took longer than expected so you won't make that mistake next time.

To add to this, it's entirely possible that this is the first time that our younger students have run up against the vicissitudes of "the real world." I can't speak for anyone else, but I know for me personally, flying was the first thing I did that I couldn't half-rear end my way through and get an excellent result.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Any hot tips on not being one of Those People? Other than "have a sense of self-reflection"

You got it in one.

Be honest with yourself. There's a reason why our post-flight debrief procedure for instructors always starts with "so, how do you think that flight went?" The answer can be "I don't think it went that well, I did X, Y and Z wrong." That's still my answer on some days when I'm evaluating my own performance, because flying is difficult. Whether you have 50 hours or 5000 hours, you will fall short of perfection and improvement can only occur when you acknowledge your weaknesses and start thinking about what you can do differently next time.

I can see this with two of my students who are just starting out. Goofus blames phantom updrafts and downdrafts, but Gallant recognizes that some days he flies better than others and that his skill is improving because he's focusing on fixing the problems I point out :v:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

You got it in one.

Be honest with yourself. There's a reason why our post-flight debrief procedure for instructors always starts with "so, how do you think that flight went?" The answer can be "I don't think it went that well, I did X, Y and Z wrong." That's still my answer on some days when I'm evaluating my own performance, because flying is difficult. Whether you have 50 hours or 5000 hours, you will fall short of perfection and improvement can only occur when you acknowledge your weaknesses and start thinking about what you can do differently next time.

I can see this with two of my students who are just starting out. Goofus blames phantom updrafts and downdrafts, but Gallant recognizes that some days he flies better than others and that his skill is improving because he's focusing on fixing the problems I point out :v:

At least, hopefully, all of your students want to be there.

I have one who doesn't and it's absolute torture. dad wants him to become a pilot

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

At least, hopefully, all of your students want to be there.

I have one who doesn't and it's absolute torture. dad wants him to become a pilot

That's brutal, I feel so sorry for that person and also you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dupersaurus posted:

The fact you’re asking this question tells me you’re not.

These are the absolute worst students bar none.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I trained a high school aged rich brat who didn’t care enough about it. It’s fun once they get to 40 hours and you tell them they’re not even close.

“But you said 40 hours.”
“That’s the bare minimum, and I haven’t even gotten that out of you.”

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So if someone fails a checkride like that is it pretty much the end of their flying career?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
edit: Ignore this, I'm an idiot.

double edit: Here is a cool pic of me landing.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 6, 2018

simble
May 11, 2004

Sorry about your leg.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cessna posted:

So if someone fails a checkride like that is it pretty much the end of their flying career?

Not really, as long as you don’t have a long string of failures.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It might be something that's brought up in a job interview, as in "could you talk about the circumstances behind your flight test failure and what you learned from it?"

Ultimately, poo poo Happens and everyone realizes that, but if you don't learn from your mistakes and have insight into them it's indicative of something much more significant that could mean you don't get the job you want. Doubly so if it's a recurring problem.

I failed my RPP flight test on the short-field landing with an EPIC porpoise, but I've since passed my flight tests for PPL, CPL, multi class rating, instrument rating, and instructor rating, and I would say something like "I learned the importance of flying a stable approach, and choosing to overshoot rather than force a poo poo landing, as well as the importance of recognizing small mistakes that in isolation aren't a huge problem, but can easily build into one," and I don't expect it would be held against me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Cessna posted:

From a military perspective, I've seen guys fail one check ride and washout of the training pipeline to be a pilot. At least in the Marine Corps, they are re-designated to some other MOS. I've also seen people fail numerous check rides and due to wants and needs, they remain. Hell, they're even out there today! Let that be comfort to you.

And, in the weirdness of the naval aviation training grading system (its a relative scoring system/sliding scale with an absolute minimum score), I've had friends pass every flight/check ride and still wash out!