Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Schadenboner posted:

Legitimately, is there a trains thread here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I mean, every thread dealing with policy in YOSPOS (which is every thread because man is by nature a political animal?) ends up being a trains thread but I mean one that sets out on purpose to be one?

I don't know much about trains and my small-but-no-longer-so-tiny-humon would get a kick out of it if I did.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, every thread dealing with policy in YOSPOS (which is every thread because man is by nature a political animal?) ends up being a trains thread but I mean one that sets out on purpose to be one?

I don't know much about trains and my small-but-no-longer-so-tiny-humon would get a kick out of it if I did.

The zaurg thread in BFC.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

elon musk, and his companies, suck rear end

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gschmidl posted:

The zaurg thread in BFC.

The what in the where now?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

The what in the where now?

zaurg is someone who asks for the internet's advice on how to live his life, then ignores it and picks the worst possible option. last i heard he was into bitcoins, so yeah.

i think they're making a joke because that's a trainwreck of a thread

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ate all the Oreos posted:

zaurg is someone who asks for the internet's advice on how to live his life, then ignores it and picks the worst possible option.

gently caress, same.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

no. we don't need to encourage that sort of thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
woman whose car tried to gently caress a firetruck while on autopilot suing tesla, tesla says "don't use autopilot"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fuckin' lmao

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The only real victim here is the firetruck

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schadenboner posted:

Over in AI: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394711

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But yeah, of Musk's two big companies right now (ignoring Boring because it's a loving joke), SpaceX has largely been able to minimize his influence. They use him as a money faucet and the face of the company, but apart from that he doesn't really set unreasonable goals, "We'll orbit the moon with a manned mission in 2018" not withstanding (everyone saw that not happening when he announced it, and in a rare display of humility, he accepted it wasn't going to happen).

He's too hands on with Tesla, and that's what's really getting them in trouble. Then again, with SpaceX, they're not reinventing the wheel. The stuff they're doing is evolutionary, not revolutionary, like what Tesla arguably is doing. Most of the heavy lifting has been done for SpaceX, the stuff that unique (landing the first stage, namely) to them has come after the most critical phases for those components have passed in regards to a successful mission. The launch doesn't care if the first stage lands or not, it cares if it gets high enough for the second stage. That part of the mission has been done so many times before SpaceX even existed that it was a non-issue. Tesla is trying to reinvent the wheel and now getting lapped by GM and Nissan with their EV offerings, and it's only a matter of time before other makers start passing them too.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 6, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

iospace posted:

But yeah, of Musk's two big companies right now (ignoring Boring because it's a loving joke), SpaceX has largely been able to minimize his influence. They use him as a money faucet and the face of the company, but apart from that he doesn't really set unreasonable goals, "We'll orbit the moon with a manned mission in 2018" not withstanding (everyone saw that not happening when he announced it, and in a rare display of humility, he accepted it wasn't going to happen).

He's too hands on with Tesla, and that's what's really getting them in trouble. Then again, with SpaceX, they're not reinventing the wheel. The stuff they're doing is evolutionary, not revolutionary, like what Tesla arguably is doing. Most of the heavy lifting has been done for SpaceX, the stuff that unique (landing the first stage, namely) to them has come after the most critical phases for those components have passed in regards to a successful mission. The launch doesn't care if the first stage lands or not, it cares if it gets high enough for the second stage. That part of the mission has been done so many times before SpaceX even existed that it was a non-issue. Tesla is trying to reinvent the wheel and now getting lapped by GM and Nissan with their EV offerings, and it's only a matter of time before other makers start passing them too.

most major-manufacturer EV offerings are already better than tesla, but otherwise yeah

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The irony is Tesla isn't the first mass-market EV in the US as well. That was a GM product (and a very rare, "We're selling this as a GM as opposed to a <BRAND>" car from GM). They recalled all of them and proceeded to scrap them because ~reasons~ (kickbacks from oil industry, most likely), but EV enthusiasts have long known how good they can be in terms of performance. All Tesla has done was shown that yes, an EV can be a practical car. You can have a lot of space for all your stuff and still get 300 miles out of it, and showing the masses that yes, EVs actually are fast.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IIRC the ~reasons~ were they sucked and the batteries sucked and they didn't want responsibility for maintaining parts and service for a few lovely cars almost no one used and also they were leased so they could do that

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

holy poo poo the zaurg thread has been reopened since May

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

most "holy gently caress this is the most hilarious thread of all time" threads are terrible but zaurgthread is something else

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

IIRC the ~reasons~ were they sucked and the batteries sucked and they didn't want responsibility for maintaining parts and service for a few lovely cars almost no one used and also they were leased so they could do that
iirc the ev-1 used lead-acid batteries and its purpose was to meet the statutory requirement of the state of california that the carmakers show progress towards developing zero-emission vehicles

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

iirc the ev-1 used lead-acid batteries and its purpose was to meet the statutory requirement of the state of california that the carmakers show progress towards developing zero-emission vehicles

Wish ur post history were zero-emissions.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

Wish ur post history were zero-emissions.
same but ur fathers balls

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

True. So I'll give Tesla this, they showed that they could use a Li-Ion based battery for an EV and make it work.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

FMguru posted:

:dudsmile:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

makes sense. mostly i meant that gm pulling a single line of vehicles that had no supporting infrastructure and clearly weren't meant as a mass market product wasn't an O&G conspiracy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

iospace posted:

True. So I'll give Tesla this, they showed that they could use a Li-Ion based battery for an EV and make it work.

yeah, their early advantage was using COTS batteries to make a powertrain that worked pretty well, relatively cheaply.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yeah, their early advantage was using COTS batteries to make a powertrain that worked pretty well, relatively cheaply.

Yup, and for lack of better words, they were hand-built exotics. The problem is Musk thought that transferred 1-1 to mass production and here we are.

e: another thing about SpaceX, space flight and travel has a lot more regulatory hurdles than cars do, which have been well established for very, very good reasons. Also the failures tend to be much higher profile than a car company's, so I think Musk is going "well, the other makers have these problems, why are we getting all the flack for it!"

They do get flack, you dunce.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FMguru posted:

:eyepop:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

no. we don't need to encourage that sort of thing

if there were a trains thread (which would require at least one person to effortpost, I guess) then it would draw trainchat into one place

train effortposts and train shitposts would all be good imo

coal trains alive in serbia
gently caress to diesel, remove kebab

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Nice! posted:

over 60 senators now represent less than half the country and in a very short time a supermajority of the senate will represent less than 40% of the population. the usa is doomed. the constitution needs to be completely redone and federalism needs to be thrown in the trash.

That was literally the purpose of the senate.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

FMguru posted:

narrow urethra

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

:thurman:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

most major-manufacturer EV offerings are already better than tesla, but otherwise yeah

do any of them have gas-car-like range?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for straight BEVs probably only the lineups launching now, they're mostly marketed as commuter vehicles, which makes sense really.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Bolt is over 200mi (238 per EPA). Someone did take it over 300mi on a single charge once.

The Leaf is now starting to push over 200 as well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Chevy Bolt, but it's a lame subcompact car that Americans will never buy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Chevy Bolt, but it's a lame subcompact car that Americans will never buy.

its very popular here in detroit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"popular in detroit" may not be the most effective slogan

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

its very popular here in detroit

I've seen a few here in Milwaukee.

Also, re: Senate:

The Senate was designed to allow smaller states to have more power. The House was the opposite, designed to give bigger states more power. The real problem is the House has not expanded in well over a century, so it no longer accurately represents larger states. Though the constitution is bad at this point anyway so gently caress it all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also

Death to capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

iospace posted:

Also

Death to capitalism

:yeah: