Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
What I'm saying is moving him to first would be a good move. Assuming this year is an aberration/wakeup call, a guy who hits .300 with 30+ HR power isn't a waste at 1b.

Obviously I'd love if Sanchez could have been a Piazza or Posada but unless he suddenly wakes up and learns how to block, a change is in order. It seems like filling the hole at first is the natural move but I don't know poo poo about player development outside of RTTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

What I'm saying is moving him to first would be a good move. Assuming this year is an aberration/wakeup call, a guy who hits .300 with 30+ HR power isn't a waste at 1b.

Obviously I'd love if Sanchez could have been a Piazza or Posada but unless he suddenly wakes up and learns how to block, a change is in order. It seems like filling the hole at first is the natural move but I don't know poo poo about player development outside of RTTS.

I could see him moving to 1B. But who knows if he could even meet the low bar that is necessary for 1B defense.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Yankees aren’t going to move Sanchez off catcher anytime soon. He’s been bad this year but he’s been bad at everything this year. Sometimes guys have lost seasons, but he’s still a productive player

Also, Sanchez wasn’t this bad behind the plate last year, so you wonder if the struggles at the dish are affecting his defense as well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

The Yankees aren’t going to move Sanchez off catcher anytime soon. He’s been bad this year but he’s been bad at everything this year. Sometimes guys have lost seasons, but he’s still a productive player

Also, Sanchez wasn’t this bad behind the plate last year, so you wonder if the struggles at the dish are affecting his defense as well

I don't know how you go into next season with him penciled into starting C if nothing changes in the last month. He's embarrassing himself.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Gary Sanchez is not that bad at catching, guys. its very obvious he has isssues catching Sevy, but his arm makes up for a lot of his issues in most cases. This is as simple as just giving sevy a personal catcher.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I hear Jesus Montero is available

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
He's also pretty drat good at framing, which is probably more important than a passed ball now and then.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Gary Sanchez is not that bad at catching, guys. its very obvious he has isssues catching Sevy, but his arm makes up for a lot of his issues in most cases. This is as simple as just giving sevy a personal catcher.

He has 15 passed balls which is the most in baseball and he's missed half the season. He's awful.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Gary has sucked this year but progression isn't always linear and it's not like he wasn't good as recently as uhhhhh last year.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the bigger issue is that Sevy has reverted back to 2016 form. no catcher was going to look good with Sevy missing his spots by the width of the plate

here's hoping they give Sevy a breather because there's no point to running him out there just to get shelled

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

He has 15 passed balls which is the most in baseball and he's missed half the season. He's awful.

The only thing awful here... is your posting!!!!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

:eyepop:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

High content post here.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I don't know how the Yankees can go into 2019 with Sanchez catching and not have a much better backup plan than Romine. It's impossible for them to be able to rely on Sanchez.

Romine had a slightly below league average bat this year, do you think they can get Johnny Bench as the backup? Sanchez is great and I will not have you sass him even if he's having the season from hell. There are teams *cough* Boston who would kill to have Romine.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

there's no point in engaging mcmagic, pretend I posted the shiny letter GIF from D&D

anyway Tanaka continues to look stellar, he should be the guy to get the ball in the wild card game as of now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Romine had a slightly below league average bat this year, do you think they can get Johnny Bench as the backup? Sanchez is great and I will not have you sass him even if he's having the season from hell. There are teams *cough* Boston who would kill to have Romine.

Sanchez hasn't been great for a while.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

there's no point in engaging mcmagic, pretend I posted the shiny letter GIF from D&D

anyway Tanaka continues to look stellar, he should be the guy to get the ball in the wild card game as of now

Yeah, Tanaka or Happ. (I can’t believe I’m saying that)

Sevy needs a “tightness” 10 Day DL stint.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Second-half Tanaka was great last year and then he was loving nails in the postseason, I have no qualms about giving him the ball in the WC game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Robertson should be the closer. He’s by far the bullpen guy I have the most faith in. Betances is too prone to these meltdowns.

Betances comes into a tie game and walks a poo poo hitter on 4 pitches to lead off the inning who then scores without another hit. U G L Y.

2.5 games out of losing home field.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 10, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tell me more about how Gary sucks rear end and should be benched or traded :allears:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

Tell me more about how Gary sucks rear end and should be benched or traded :allears:

*in an extremely McMagic voice* Well this is just one game and it clearly matters less thant he one game where he was bad!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I never said he should be benched or traded. I said they have to get him fixed... Hopefully that is happening. Also he had a good game behind the plate with Happ who is probably the easiest Yankee pitcher to catch. Lets see how he catches Severino next time.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 11, 2018

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Honestly I appreciate mcmagic keeping us grounded. the gloom is only because we have been in this position before and fallen flat.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Mcmagic is overly negative but in a relatively endearing way. He writes like that one dude on Twitter who was gonna make it to the NFL if he hadn't blown out his knee in D3 college.

He's also correct sometimes.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Robertson should be the closer. He’s by far the bullpen guy I have the most faith in. Betances is too prone to these meltdowns.

Betances comes into a tie game and walks a poo poo hitter on 4 pitches to lead off the inning who then scores without another hit. U G L Y.

2.5 games out of losing home field.

There's nothing magical about the 9th inning. The best reliever should be the *relief ace*, coming in whenever they are most needed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

There's nothing magical about the 9th inning. The best reliever should be the *relief ace*, coming in whenever they are most needed.

Betances is too prone to meltdowns where he walks the ballpark.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mcmagic is overly negative but in a relatively endearing way. He writes like that one dude on Twitter who was gonna make it to the NFL if he hadn't blown out his knee in D3 college.

He's also correct sometimes.

Anyone would be correct sometimes if they just constantly say their team sucks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I really don't ever need to see Sonny Gray anymore. It's cool.

I don't think it's being overly negative to say that if they lose the home field for the wild card that is a complete disaster. It's just a fact. There doesn't seem to be the proper sense of urgency with this team for the situation they are in.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 12, 2018

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Or they don't have Judge who is one of the best players in baseball, and the As have a magical unicorn horn jammed up their collective asses. But punting a game to start Gray wasn't the greatest idea.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Or they don't have Judge who is one of the best players in baseball, and the As have a magical unicorn horn jammed up their collective asses. But punting a game to start Gray wasn't the greatest idea.

Not having Judge is not an excuse. Other teams have injured players. They have been a 500 team for 2 months now.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
31-23, actually. Completely unacceptable.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Two experiments we can probably conclude: Sonny Gray and Greg Bird. I want them both to be good so bad, but neither should be playing in September right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Monday_ posted:

31-23, actually. Completely unacceptable.

They are in a pennant race for home field in a brutal 1 game playoff and they are 7-8 in their last 15 vs mostly bad teams. No, it's not good enough.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

mcmagic posted:

Not having Judge is not an excuse. Other teams have injured players. They have been a 500 team for 2 months now.

You know Bostons record when Betts was out of the lineup? 8-6.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Two experiments we can probably conclude: Sonny Gray and Greg Bird. I want them both to be good so bad, but neither should be playing in September right now.

I think Gray has a role as an early couple innings of relief role guy. He seems to pitch better n, but that is just from watching, so I am willing to have numbers prove me wrong.

Bird though? :smith:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Ramiro Mendoza Sonny Gray is not, at least not this year. Letting Warren go to replace him with Gray seems acceptable on paper but is going to haunt them down this stretch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Trading Warren was dumb bullshit.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Maybe they will surprise us but with six games left against the Sox and four in Tampa, they probably have to start preparing themselves for a flight to Oakland in the wild card game. They got completely outplayed these past few series by the bad teams in the worst division in baseball.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I'm not ready to say mcmagic was right, but I will say that it would be nice if some of the people who are current members of the New York Yankees baseball squadron could recall how to strike the ball with the bat during game time plate appearances.

• Locked thread