Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh poo poo mine also did and I forgot to post. Thanks for da sticker Pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Groetgaffel posted:

My sticker arrived a little while back. Thanks again Pick! :yayclod:

:toot: glad you liked it! My plan is to do another run with the colors adjusted, if/when I do I'll let everyone know if they'd like a second. You never really know on that stuff the first time around; Stickermule doesn't do proofs and I've never made vinyl stickers before (more you know!)

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I forgot to message PICK that my friend got their sticker as a total surprise and enjoyed it, especially because I forcdd them at gunpoint to watch B5 after years of them being a DS9 fan.

Now they can enjoy both... in sticker form!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pick posted:

:toot: glad you liked it! My plan is to do another run with the colors adjusted, if/when I do I'll let everyone know if they'd like a second. You never really know on that stuff the first time around; Stickermule doesn't do proofs and I've never made vinyl stickers before (more you know!)

Why have you done a picture of Tracy Scoggins? And who is the other person?

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
"Occupation? I am Russian- we suffered under an occupation for generations. The only difference is, we did it to ourselves."

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Jedit posted:

Why have you done a picture of Tracy Scoggins? And who is the other person?

Not sure if :thejoke: but its Ivanova and Kira from DS9.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Not sure if :thejoke: but its Ivanova and Kira from DS9.

Link's on the wrong hand, then.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The one on the right is obviously Kira, but the one on the left doesn't particularly look like Ivanova. Actually, doesn't really look too much like Lochley either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And that's why I usually don't do art for SA, you guys are the biggest whiners :v:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Just finished my watch through of the series for the first time. I think it was good.
I skipped River of Souls though, I would say the only two movies that need to be actually watched are the pilot movie and In the Beginning. I watched Thirdspace and it didn't seem necessary in the slightest.

I was really surprised by the show because my only exposure to it before was that one clip from Legend of the Rangers where the lady spins around and shoots lasers out of her hands so for all these years I assumed the whole show was basically that and everyone talking about it was just a crazy weirdo.

The political stuff reeeeeeallllllly holds up, even the small stuff like in the first episode that ends with a tv announcement that the president is going to clamp down on alien immigration. My only real complaint with the show is all the stuff with the casting, it clearly interfered with some of the storylines, some not so much but no way in hell (spoiler for Talia Winters) Talia was supposed to be a sleeper agent all along, and if she was then no way in hell was she supposed to just get knocked off immediately after learning that. There had to be something more there. Just some random dude shows up and removes a character within the space of one episode.. Surprisingly, I thought Season 5 captain actually had a decent little arc considering she was only in like half the episodes.

Which brings me to Season 5. Man, that Telepath stuff was not great, they really tried to cram as much of that in there as they could. The rest of the episodes are a nice epilogue to everyone else.

Londo and G'Kar are the two obvious standouts in the series. Their storylines actual seem to be trying to say something, whereas Sheridan is a bit more static. He's the good guy who does the right thing and it works out for him most of the time. Also, Londo's best character moment is finally liking Rebo and Zooty. Zooty Zoot Zoot Zoot

Vir is also great, I finally looked up to see who played him because he reminded me of the guy from Animal House and yea it was him. Same thing happened with Zack, I didn't realize he was the same Jeff Conway from Grease and Celebrity Rehab until around season 3. My favorite one off character was Londo's wife, her voice was super over the top and I was slightly disappointed she didn't return.

Overall I think the expectation that the show was super planned out left me hanging more than a few times, but again still enjoyed it and I would recommend it to someone in the future.

Other Random thoughts: Bug guy in yellow smoke was cool and I wish he stuck around. Lennier got ruined with that last scene, nerd. The notable guest actors were great, Brad Dourif, William Sanderson, Michael York, etc. Narn swords are just samurai swords, come on prop department put some effort into this. "Stroke Off!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Talia and Sinclair were both workarounds. Both were supposed to be endgame players.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Specifically, Talia and Ivanova seemed like they were going to be something interesting in Season 5 with the Telepath stuff but then it gets shunted off to different characters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also the whole weird session with Kosh and the brain guy was Kosh backing up Talia's personality so she could've been saved.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the whole weird session with Kosh and the brain guy was Kosh backing up Talia's personality so she could've been saved.

JMS really tried to keep the alternate pathways there without it being too obvious. It's honestly impressive he navigated the major hurdles as well as he did.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

dudeness posted:

"Stroke Off!"

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

dudeness posted:

Other Random thoughts: Bug guy in yellow smoke was cool and I wish he stuck around.

He comes back in Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dudeness posted:

My favorite one off character was Londo's wife, her voice was super over the top and I was slightly disappointed she didn't return.

Timov does return in the Fall of Centauri Prime novels. Unfortunately you're unlikely ever to read them, because they're long out of print and hard to find.

Also her name is "vomit" spelled backwards. This was deliberate.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Jedit posted:

Timov does return in the Fall of Centauri Prime novels. Unfortunately you're unlikely ever to read them, because they're long out of print and hard to find.

They weren't even easy to find when they were in print either.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

Unlike most of the novels, these three are worth tracking down. Garabaldi gets what might be his best line in the final book.

Timov and the other wives were deliberately written as famine, pestilence, and death, leaving Londo as war. Timov is, of course, famine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dudeness posted:

My favorite one off character was Londo's wife, her voice was super over the top and I was slightly disappointed she didn't return.

The notable guest actors were great, Brad Dourif, William Sanderson, Michael York, etc. Narn swords are just samurai swords, come on prop department put some effort into this. "Stroke Off!"

Londo's wife was played by Jane Carr, she's an English character actor who's been in tons of things; I wish they'd brought her back to - great character, great actress. Daggair was played by former Miss Chicago 1948 Lois Nettleton and she's had a long and distinguished career as well.

The notable guest you missed was in The Quality of Mercy. The doctor with the alien device was none other than June Lockhart, making her the second actor to appear on both Babylon 5 and Lost in Space.

Oh hey, Peter David wrote Soul Mates. No wonder it has some of the best dialogue in the whole season, if not show.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 8, 2018

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I've had all the books for years and now I have the comics. I had been thinking of making a thread doing a re-watch and slotting in the books and comics in with the TV series. It would take a while to complete.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Narsham posted:

Unlike most of the novels, these three are worth tracking down. Garabaldi gets what might be his best line in the final book.

The Centauri trilogy is definitely the best of the B5 tie-in novels (although I have heard some folks argue for the Psi-Corps trilogy) but I honestly have a real soft spot for the Technomage books. They aren't as well written, but I liked the Technomages on the show and a deep look at their society, origins, and role in the Shadow War and beyond was neat to see. It gives away a mystery the show deliberately (and pointedly) left unsolved though, so I understand why they're not well-liked.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

mllaneza posted:

Londo's wife was played by Jane Carr, she's an English character actor who's been in tons of things; I wish they'd brought her back to - great character, great actress. Daggair was played by former Miss Chicago 1948 Lois Nettleton and she's had a long and distinguished career as well.

The notable guest you missed was in The Quality of Mercy. The doctor with the alien device was none other than June Lockhart, making her the second actor to appear on both Babylon 5 and Lost in Space.

Oh hey, Peter David wrote Soul Mates. No wonder it has some of the best dialogue in the whole season, if not show.

Fun tidbit about that. Bill Mumy bugged JMS incessantly to get June a part and JMS finally relented ... and then didn’t give her and Lennier any time together. :haw:

...Although Mumy got the last laugh by walking by camera without make up as an extra in one of her scenes.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Season 4 paying off big time so far. Vir got to do his wave :v: :byewhore:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Every time Vir opens his mouth, all I can hear is Booster from the Buzz Lightyear show, which makes his maturation towards the later part of the show all the more jarring.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Season 4 paying off big time so far. Vir got to do his wave :v: :byewhore:

drat that’s a pro use of that emote.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

drat that’s a pro use of that emote.

Justified.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

SlothfulCobra posted:

Every time Vir opens his mouth, all I can hear is Booster from the Buzz Lightyear show, which makes his maturation towards the later part of the show all the more jarring.

Oh man, I watched that show as a kid, it was great I had no idea he was that voice. Also, even as a child I knew that Patrick Warburton was the superior Buzz.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm still working my way through season 5 but I love the callbacks to horny g'kar

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Man Garibaldi why you gotta be a dick.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
ok holo-garibaldi moriartying the big brother wannabe makes up for the earlier stuff :haw:

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.
Thought there might be some interest here: I captured a VHS recording of a TNT making of special "The Guide to Babylon 5" that aired in December 1997, right before the premiere of season 5. I left the commercials in because that's part of the charm of this for me ;)

I think it was shot during the production of Thirdspace.

https://mega.nz/#!bw5jiYaY!vZtw42U8uy7spy1pmgi_VMgSl85B5KkwxSEn9FgzdEU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

speakhard posted:

Thought there might be some interest here: I captured a VHS recording of a TNT making of special "The Guide to Babylon 5" that aired in December 1997, right before the premiere of season 5. I left the commercials in because that's part of the charm of this for me ;)

That'll be for making of S5 if it was TNT. The show swapped network for the final season only.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

speakhard posted:

Thanks, dude!

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Jedit posted:

That'll be for making of S5 if it was TNT. The show swapped network for the final season only.

They shot Thirdspace and ItB before production on season 5; if you watch the making of you'll see the scenes they're shooting are from Thirdspace. Plus, Claudia Christian is in it.

The "host segments" feature Bruce Boxleitner in his season 5 wardrobe + beard.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

speakhard posted:

Neat, downloading now - thanks for this!

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Jedit posted:

I won't post a link because :filez: but I would suggest googling "hungry-ewok babylon 5" might produce startling results.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I've been marathoning through this show for the first time in almost 20 years since I saw it airing on TV as a wee lad. Even though I didn't fully get it, this show was one of the most formative pieces of fiction for me growing up. Boy does it hold up despite some obvious flaws... until Season 5.

I went into Season 5 looking to give it all the benefit of the doubt, thinking it couldn't possibly be as bad as everyone claimed, but man oh man... And it's not even all the Telepath storyline. That's bad, don't get me wrong. The creepy telepath supremacism Byron keeps spouting, about how his followers need to be Better Than Mundanes by escewing violence, and then when they act like normal people he gets all sad and weepy about how they don't understanding his dream, that's bad. Lita letting herself get caught up in his cult, that's bad. The idiot ball Sheridan gets handed in various dealings with them, that's bad. Byron's continual lack of self-awareness in his refusal to take any real responsibility for his actions or those of his followers while doing everything in his power to shield them from consequences, that's bad.

But man is the thing that REALLY gets under my skin of Lochley. She's so god drat self-righteous about having collaborated with a murderous fascist regime that tried to literally holocaust the entire planet, and when she gives her big loving speech to Garibaldi about HONOR AND DUTY and he just loving swallows it WHILE THE CREW APPLAUD, I was almost sick to my stomach. I almost couldn't believe the same showrunner who gave us the Clark presidency wrote that garbage. The best part is that we get to see exactly what kind of person she is when Bester shows up. The fact that she can look Sheridan in the eye and talk about Bester's "side of the story," about what he did to Garibaldi, and how right she was for treating him to loving tea and banter while throwing his victim in the brig... She never puts one toe out of line with Bester that entire episode. She folds to everything she's ordered to do, won't bend a single rule despite claiming to hate him and the Psi Corps and what they represent ('yes Mr. President, I grant that they are fascists, buuuuut...'). He marches in Jack Boots a-polished, and she rolls over for him right up until the very last second, when she gets bailed out by a technicality without having to stick her neck out even the smallest bit. And then she has the unmitigated gall to LECTURE BYRON about how much she's risking. gently caress OOOOOOFFFFF.

Unless there's some BIIIIIG reveals coming up to make her less of a monstrous quisling, I don't know how much of her I'm going to be able to stomach, especially because all of the characters around her who actually have principles and courage keep bowing to her bullshit arguments.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
The Centauri arch in S5 is drat good though. Don't stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

tastychicken posted:

The Centauri arch in S5 is drat good though. Don't stop watching.

This but arc