Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

silicone thrills posted:

Knocked out two more from the same photo set today.

Yay for actually being art productive for once in the last few years!

White River near Mt. Rainier

Silver Springs Campground also near Mt. Rainier.

I'm a very beginning watercolorist myself. I really like your light values and textures and... sense of scene? there's probably a real artist word for that. I feel like I could recognize each place if I saw it.

Does anyone have good online watercolor resources they could recommend? I got interested when I took a class, but now that it's ended I'm not sure how to keep going with learning and improving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jikes posted:

I'm a very beginning watercolorist myself. I really like your light values and textures and... sense of scene? there's probably a real artist word for that. I feel like I could recognize each place if I saw it.

Does anyone have good online watercolor resources they could recommend? I got interested when I took a class, but now that it's ended I'm not sure how to keep going with learning and improving.

I wish I could give tips but i've been doing watercolors since I was in 5th grade and never officially learned alot beyond that. Other than the salt trick. The salt trick is fun.

To get the texture on the path for this one, I wet the area with burnt sienna mixed with burnt umber - very light application of color - mostly water. Then you sprinkle on some salt, let it dry, then rub off the salt.

Also to work fast use a hair dryer.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

silicone thrills posted:

I wish I could give tips but i've been doing watercolors since I was in 5th grade and never officially learned alot beyond that. Other than the salt trick. The salt trick is fun.

To get the texture on the path for this one, I wet the area with burnt sienna mixed with burnt umber - very light application of color - mostly water. Then you sprinkle on some salt, let it dry, then rub off the salt.

These are getting much better. I was going to say to use less empty space / white paper but with this last one there is hardly any white. Much better! You can't just paint white watercolor over darker watercolor so I know it's tricky to know what areas to leave empty for highlights, reflections etc. Good news is that getting great at watercolor makes you a better acrylic painter and I would say a better painter overall.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's weird. I went to art school and I have a degree in painting and printing. I did literally zero watercolors in all 4 years. Only concentrated on oil which really doesn't help me at all with watercolor.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

silicone thrills posted:

It's weird. I went to art school and I have a degree in painting and printing. I did literally zero watercolors in all 4 years. Only concentrated on oil which really doesn't help me at all with watercolor.

a lot of my professors during my freshman year seemed either neutral or negative about watercolor painting for some reason

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Kanine posted:

a lot of my professors during my freshman year seemed either neutral or negative about watercolor painting for some reason

My very old painter friend who paints every drat day only paints in oils and watercolors. He maintains that getting better at watercolors means he gets better at oils because watercolors are so much less forgiving than oils. I tend to agree.

Here is his website.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I agree with your friend as well. I think if watercolor teaches anything its how to plan and that's valuable no matter the medium.

Though yeah, I've seen some people in particular fine art circles make dismissive comments about watercolors. Maybe because it used to be used in commercial illustration back in day? It feels like a hang up with people who are way too focused on prestige over substance.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Did someone say watercolors??? I recently bought a simple pan set because I wanted to try doing travel sketching in color instead of B&W.

Some preliminary practice I did from photos I took (all pieces limited to 20-30 minutes):

Then a whole bunch of actual plein air from my trip to Singapore.

I feel like painting it live rather than from photos poses significantly different challenges to my sensibilities, even accounting for how drawing from life is different from drawing from a flat image.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I really love the first one. The impression I get is fantastic.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Did another. The photo for this one is probably better than the painting. It was a fun one to try because I finally got a bottle of masking to make sure the spots I wanted to be bright stayed bright.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Argue posted:

Did someone say watercolors??? I recently bought a simple pan set because I wanted to try doing travel sketching in color instead of B&W.

Some preliminary practice I did from photos I took (all pieces limited to 20-30 minutes):

Then a whole bunch of actual plein air from my trip to Singapore.

I feel like painting it live rather than from photos poses significantly different challenges to my sensibilities, even accounting for how drawing from life is different from drawing from a flat image.

Ahh these are so great, I love the lights over the water!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Finally finished the other hand which was blocked by the bottles on the bar. Now to laquer and move on to the next mural.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I suddenly decided to execute on an idea I wrote down about 8 years ago. Linocut mountain (Mt Rainier) with quotes from The Hobbit.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

silicone thrills posted:

Love these! I've been wanting to do quick gouache/watercolor studies in nature for a while now.

Did a couple quick pen sketches of environments while on vacation this month. Still trying to find a good way to quickly depict depth and texture in pen, but working fast like this is a good way for me to loosen up and stop worrying so much about linework.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Had a quick question I hope someone here might be able to answer. Does anyone have any idea what kind of medium Moebius was using for pieces like this?

I know he used all sorts of stuff, from watercolors to gouache to concentrated inks, but this look in particular has always really grabbed me and I could never figure out what it was. I see a lot of similarities to ligne claire stuff like Herge's Tintin work, but the colors here are more even and the gradients are so smooth that I'm wondering if it's just digital coloring of some kind. But even some of his early work looks like that, so I'm curious what kind of materials I would need to get a look like this, as I'd love to experiment with that style myself.

I'm assuming it's some kind of highly pigmented ink, but does anybody have a more specific guess?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

snucks posted:

Love these! I've been wanting to do quick gouache/watercolor studies in nature for a while now.

Did a couple quick pen sketches of environments while on vacation this month. Still trying to find a good way to quickly depict depth and texture in pen, but working fast like this is a good way for me to loosen up and stop worrying so much about linework.

These loving rock. Love that stump.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

snucks posted:

Keep it up! The 3rd one is really my jam.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

silicone thrills posted:

Keep it up! The 3rd one is really my jam.
Thanks! I feel like I was really able to abstract the shapes and cohere the general "exposure" of the scene.

Franchescanado posted:

These loving rock. Love that stump.
Thanks! I kept appreciating stumps across the whole trip, I'm really glad I took the time to sit down with one and figure it out.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Its been a while, so I decided to start doing a sketch thing a day to get back into practice.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Went to Daniel Smith and got some new watercolors. More greens! Green gold is officially my new favorite color, seriously.

Couldn't sleep the other night and did this one. It's just relaxing to paint forests.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Back at the bench after a little soul searching break. Trying out some new (to me) Japanese papers, too.

Still new to woodblocks, do I need to seal the wood first? I feel like I'm losing a good amount of ink to the grain.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

Went to Daniel Smith and got some new watercolors. More greens! Green gold is officially my new favorite color, seriously.

Couldn't sleep the other night and did this one. It's just relaxing to paint forests.

Loving these watercolors.

Excuse the blurry pics in this timelapse but here is the process of that mural.

Timelapse of that mural

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

Back at the bench after a little soul searching break. Trying out some new (to me) Japanese papers, too.

Still new to woodblocks, do I need to seal the wood first? I feel like I'm losing a good amount of ink to the grain.

That's wonderful! Having only done lino I can't offer woodblock advice, so just wanted to say it really looks great.

I need to go back to carving myself. Got fancy new tools and spent way more time building a box for them than using the things :negative:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

Fantastic blocks! I never sealed mine and we were never instructed to in print class. Then again, you don't think about that when your class is providing all the materials either.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Made a timelapse for the Amber Ox mural too.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Love the timelapse and the painting! I really should do the timelapse thing.

Sooo I finally made an etsy shop to sell off my paintings. Immediately sold a few and got a few commissions.

Someone wanted their photo of a vineyard done so I cropped it in a bit to hopefully get what I think is a decent composition. I'm struggling with the level of detail that I feel like their should be and where my brain says "I'm maxing out on 5 hours of work because I said it would be about $150" It's a 9x12 btw.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

silicone thrills posted:

Fantastic blocks! I never sealed mine and we were never instructed to in print class. Then again, you don't think about that when your class is providing all the materials either.

Tru dat

I applied a coat of clear acrylic gesso to this to see if it helped. It did not. But there's no shortage of suggestions on the web to try out.

It occurred to me I haven't really ever done shading in prints, so it's been a fun challenge. Despite that, though, it's been a return to the basics, which has helped shake off some of the anxiety I've had over My Style

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Cleaned up version of that monk.

Another quick portrait.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 3, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

The highlight on the shadowed cheek might work better if I used it elsewhere

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Made another mountain linocut - mt baker this time - still trying to carefully navigate pulling out a bit more so the sky is more distinct.

also sunsets have been pretty crazy in western washington so I've got this guy here

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 15, 2018

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

Made another mountain linocut - mt baker this time - still trying to carefully navigate pulling out a bit more so the sky is more distinct.

also sunsets have been pretty crazy in western washington so I've got this guy here

Good Goon Art.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jack Daniels posted:

Good Goon Art.

Thanks :) It really does feel good to know that people actually like it.

So uh on my etsy my sunsets all seem to sell really well. Maybe it helps that right now they are kind of unique due to the fire situation round the PNW. I'm trying to capitalize on it a bit and keep em coming

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party
I painted a frog in watercolour... and filmed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39re4CvhKlw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Duck Party posted:

This is a great tutorial, by the way. I'm not a watercolorist (mostly oils o'er here) but this is a really crisp explanation of how to work well in watercolor. Great work!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That was a really fun and educational video, I'll definitely be checking out more.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Duck Party posted:

Good Goon Art Video.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Fourth'd on the video, looking forward....to more!

Here, now, are some backgrounds I've been working on for a short I'm making in my free time

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Could probably nit-pick this until the heat death of the universe, but I’m calling it. But it’s the first time I’ve really done a landscape, though, and I’m generally happy with all the textures.

That bit of hatching on the left was ill-advised. A little torn about the clouds but don’t know what I’d do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

dupersaurus posted:

Could probably nit-pick this until the heat death of the universe, but I’m calling it. But it’s the first time I’ve really done a landscape, though, and I’m generally happy with all the textures.

That bit of hatching on the left was ill-advised. A little torn about the clouds but don’t know what I’d do with them.

Whenever I see someone doing single colour woodblock prints I have to ask, have you heard of our lord and saviour: reduction prints? Why rely on lines when you could use COLOURS!? :q:

Serious question: How many different cutting knives do you have at your disposal, and what kind? I'm seeing evidence of two sharp V or deep U gouges? With a shallow U gouge or two you could do some neat stuff with pointillist style dapple-work where linework and crosshatching might a.) not turn out as well as you might imagine on paper and b.) become difficult to manage from a mechanical standpoint as you start ripping chunks out of the wood both parallel and perpendicular to the grain.

As far as sealing goes, I've been using matte clear Minwax polycrylic varnish to seal my drawings to lino and it works great, granted your use for something like that and mine aren't exactly the same. My only other thought would be to make sure you're using the appropriate wood for the job.

Edit: Also if you haven't already, follow the #woodblockprint #woodcutprint #linocut and #reductionprint hashtags on instagram for ideas on how other people tackle the problems you might not know how to ask. The day I followed #reductionprint is the day I got hooked.

Anyway here's Wonderwall current progress on my first oil painting. The learning curve for this is like a straight vertical line I swear to god.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 10, 2018