Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I've already pointed out much of why lumpen reflected poorly, and the budding with beet was probably distancing. I have no problem voting lump lord today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I've already pointed out much of why lumpen reflected poorly, and the budding with beet was probably distancing. I have no problem voting lump lord today.
It would be "distancing" if we were both scum,
it would be "whiteknighting" if I were scum,
but since we're both town, it was...

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

I read Toal and I agree with KB's description today. Lumpen absolutely would have been his N1 target, and the way he kept on at him makes me believe he had the scum result.

##vote Lumpen

His distrust of Gaspy also makes sense given his role, which I'm gathering Gaspy claimed a not-town (?) result on someone who then ended up flipping town? That's a weird thing for scum to do on D2 of a big game for no reason (unless they're a reason I missed), so I don't really know what to make of that.

Yeah, I still don't get Gaspy's play as any alignment really. So I'm taking that as null by itself. But to clarify, Gaspy claimed Beet was not town and later confirmed it was a result. He said initially that maybe he was just 3p or something, but definitely not town. Then claimed the mod clarified his result should have actually said Shadow Aligned, so he said it had to be scum then, based on flavor of the movie. But after all was said and done, he said his read of Beet's play was so towny that he doubted his result and didn't want to vote him. This is the thing that pinged me personally. If I'm a cop, I always want to see the flip and confirm my results.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Lumpen posted:

It would be "distancing" if we were both scum,
it would be "whiteknighting" if I were scum,
but since we're both town, it was...

Which of you is keith david?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
lol I have a theory that gaspy made a fake gambit to pressure beet and got him killed.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
and now he has to awkwardly never reveal this until mylo and lose town the game

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
That or he is scum

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

King Burgundy posted:

Right, the added proof is that he did NOT counterclaim Gaspy. He kept it under his hat. So we know for a fact, play wise, that he can play these things right. If I had a scum result in the early game, I would also not claim it outright except in extreme cases. It is much better to build your resume first. How many people can I clear or catch before I have to out myself? Did I leave clear breadcrumbs for each person in case I die?

Keep in mind, we still don't have Gaspy's claim, so saying it was a given that him claiming his result on you and being a cop would lead to two consecutive scum cuddles is a stretch. If he could get even one more clear or catch under his belt before reveal it would be even better and odds are high he'll get his results anyway. Since because of his flip, I'm looking harder at both you and Gaspy. So he did his job.
Very true, he did in fact not counterclaim Asphixious, and he did his job. I have to give Toalpaz due respect in hindsight. I think it would be inexplicable if he didn't at least attempt to target me N1. It adds up.

But I'm town, so what do I do here, claim? Eh, it's a lovely situation.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Lumpen posted:

I counterclaim Ruby Rhod.

My vote isn't a joke. A Sometimes Food posted a lie. I don't think posting a false roleclaim is a pro-town move even in jokephase.

Look at the claim post. Was it a good joke? Consider the game motivation for the post. Lying here could just be bad judgement, but a lie is a lie, and deserves a vote.

Lumpen posted:

I am Ruby Rhod, and it is a town role, and ASF's claim of the flavor (an obviously existing town role for there to be) was a lie.
I did not believe the claimed "power" of "post as obnoxiously as possible" because I am Ruby Rhod.
Just before N1:

Lumpen posted:

I'm Ruby Rhod and I have a Town Power Role.

My fullclaim is Ruby Rhod, Town Bulletproof. This explains my D1 play of being eager to announce my flavor, and flaunt being a power role. It was in the hopes of absorbing a nightkill.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Hmm,

##vote asf

I can't believe I'm doing this, but lumpen may have been right

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Well not about asf

##unvote

But about not being scum

Merk, tm, hal imo

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I am super sure it's yuming.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I made that big case about why she was town and her reasons for beet were all genuine. As far as the misreading goes I felt like there was a little of that on both parts perhaps.

If she's scum, she is performing pretty darn well.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Tired Moritz posted:

ill play as a replacement. this guarantees that no one would replace out.

Tired Moritz, A Character Study
Young Moritz, fatigued as he is, is scum. *clucks tongue, dumps pipe*

Why AA? What proof do you have? Well friends, the proof is in the pudding!
*plunges hands into gelatinous goop and pulls forth poo poo posts*

Tired Moritz posted:

Just wanted to say that since theres a busdriver, gaspy's gotcha isnt 100% contrete.
This is the first post of his that really pinged me. Most comments are auxiliary at best and loose, unattached opinions at worst.

This comes from a taxi driver flip which we have no mechanical knowledge of the role itself, and of course Gaspy's own awkward admission about the result.

Tired Moritz posted:

yeah but busdriver though???

a possibility: gasp could be lying and gonna use a "lol must have been bussed" if we lynched hambeet and they flip town.

Why ditch the idea you floated? In between these posts is a lot of content bereft nothing.

Tired Moritz posted:

voting gaspy is super lazy because as if we're gonna be lynching someone that claimed to be a cop.

this is inaccurate and the fact that he wasn't a cop had been repeatedly reinforced.

I... I just can't get through any more of their posts.

Just l ook at the history for yourselves, it's an empty snipe and poo poo filled history that indicates no real conviction and some lackluster opinions

##vote TM

Coming for Solus and a few others next, but yeah, here's your scum folks

Also TMM replaced immediately, no game posts and that's my lovely meta take.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Also... how am I in the top 5 posters, I feel like I've been lurking these last few days...

:justpost: folks

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Also, I used my force of will to summon imgay back to the forums during PopCon, but he's not keeping it 100 and is probably scum.

:colbert:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Lumpen cop connection is really compelling. It's hard to read Toalpaz' post history and come to any conclusion besides that he investigated lLumpen and got scum.

I am also suspicious how Lumpen initially reacted to this connection. Suggesting that Toalpaz could not have kept silent about a scum investigation is not a town reaction, it implies there was a scum result on Lumpen to get. "If the cop investigated me as scum he would have said something" is not an explanation town players should be offering, especially not before "if the cop investigated me as scum then night shenanigans are afoot."

Also, bulletproof is one of the safest and most standard fakeclaims for scum since it is very hard and very costly for town to verify.

I am reluctant to base the day's execution on an unclaimed and ultimately speculative investigation but ultimately I think there's something here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Ninth Layer posted:

The Lumpen cop connection is really compelling. It's hard to read Toalpaz' post history and come to any conclusion besides that he investigated lLumpen and got scum.

I am also suspicious how Lumpen initially reacted to this connection. Suggesting that Toalpaz could not have kept silent about a scum investigation is not a town reaction, it implies there was a scum result on Lumpen to get. "If the cop investigated me as scum he would have said something" is not an explanation town players should be offering, especially not before "if the cop investigated me as scum then night shenanigans are afoot."

Also, bulletproof is one of the safest and most standard fakeclaims for scum since it is very hard and very costly for town to verify.

I am reluctant to base the day's execution on an unclaimed and ultimately speculative investigation but ultimately I think there's something here.

Can you quote some posts from Toal that make you think this is the case? I promise to get invested into the game here, but I'm at a conference and would like some help before I dive in.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

My top scum picks are still Gaspy, Lumpen.

For example, why is Lumpen not first here if he has a scum investigation on him?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Ninth Layer posted:

I spent a couple minutes looking, and I think this is bullshit. Toal did not have a scum investigation on Lumpen. There's no way based on his posts.

##vote TNL

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Ninth Layer posted:

WHAT POSTS GAVE YOU THIS READ? THEY AREN'T THERE

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Everything else TNL says about Lumpen I completely agree with though (e.g. BP being a safe claim, Lumpen reacted scummily to the investigation, etc.). However, that read of Toal is completely unfounded. It's fake content.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

Okay maybe we kill Lumpen today?

I'm on mobile for a bit so it's a pain to multi quote but this is his first post of day 2.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
I think the lumpen case is pretty weak. Obviously I’m the worst at this but I think if Toal had a scum result he would have pushed a lot harder.

merk posted:

For example, why is Lumpen not first here if he has a scum investigation on him?

This is a biggy. I see why in context Toal would have been suspicious of me but if he had an actual scum result Lump should have still been front and centre.

##vote Yuming

This should have been the lunch yesterday and Yuming only looks worse today.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
As I said yesterday, I think Lumpen looks more town because hambeet flipped town.

I still don't like the yuming case. Without reading anything, I am a bit more accepting of it because hambeet pushed towards lynch over her when she was the leader. I'm not really sold on it though and would need to see the late votes on hambeet to try to determine whether that is actually a compelling thing.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
As an aside, I am currently at a conference where I am speaking about the connection between law and information security. I was out last night with my girlfriend and was talking about this game. I told her the story of how I started playing SA mafia during law school because I truly believed that I was an unpersuasive, awful writer due to my engineering background and wanted to find a way to catch up with the English, Journalism, and other majors who do this poo poo for a living.

She suggested that I write an article and aggressively pursue publication on it about this story. I am partly what I am today because of this community. Mafia shaped me from a weird engineer who couldn't form coherent arguments to someone that usually knows what can get someone to move towards the direction I want them to move. I have all of you to thank for that. I hope the least that I can do is to talk about it and get more people involved in these types of games before the communities die off.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
:shobon:

Thank you. I don't think I've ever said that to this community. This is an important part of my life that shaped my career.

Quote this in other threads and make fun of me. Go hog wild.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
You're a pillar of our community merk. Was American Psycho mini-mafia your first game? Without searching, I think that was our first together.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Lumpen posted:

You're a pillar of our community merk. Was American Psycho mini-mafia your first game? Without searching, I think that was our first together.
Nope, I remembered wrong, you were the host of that one.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My first game was Hillbilly Hoe-down Mafia hosted by Train. I was a trainwreck in it.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Also... how am I in the top 5 posters, I feel like I've been lurking these last few days...

:justpost: folks

Holy poo poo, self affirmation of lurking. Thats what a scum would say. A town dude would never admit they been lurking, they just wouldn't say anythoing. ##vote AA

thank me later everyone

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Yay merk :sun:

I write all the time for work but this game again makes me realize that I continue to struggle with communicating the gist of what I want to focus on without adding too many asides. For special education paperwork, the writing style is overly specific and tangential in nature because it has to spell everything out. It's an art to take what it says and boil it down quickly into a bite-size best suited to your specific audience. Be it administration, parents, or other educators.

I know that off-the-cuff that too-much-information is how I speak to parents and its something I am always trying to improve on. Speech-language pathology as a profession has an oversharing problem but that gets into a whole mess of insurance billing, the justification for services and other mucky stuff.

I wanna kill the scum but dang I was really sold on hambeet. I am going to take my time this game day.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is open and shut case we can knock out this scum, nice slip bro.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I guess we can just call this day done and spend the rest of daylight finding other scum.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I will share one thought that I had yesterday but didn't post (RIP hambeet I am imagining you are calling me scum for this even now)--

Related to Toalpaz's flip,

Toalpaz posted:

Okay maybe we kill Lumpen today?

Lumpen posted:

Uh, why?
I remember thinking this Lumpen post read as self-conscious.

I like the crazy-idea of gaspy pulling some sort of gambit and after skimming day start posts I am most suspicious of Lumpen and gaspy.

I am going to reread carefully, and share my thoughts once I'm finished.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

merk posted:

As I said yesterday, I think Lumpen looks more town because hambeet flipped town.

I disagree. Why do you think that?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

:shobon:

Thank you. I don't think I've ever said that to this community. This is an important part of my life that shaped my career.

Quote this in other threads and make fun of me. Go hog wild.

If I ever need a lawyer merk, I'm coming to you

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

yuming posted:

special education paperwork

Mod comment: In future games I want use this phrase instead of "cases"

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Lumpen posted:

My fullclaim is Ruby Rhod, Town Bulletproof. This explains my D1 play of being eager to announce my flavor, and flaunt being a power role. It was in the hopes of absorbing a nightkill.

I did wonder why you didn't call me out on my d1 jokeclaim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

imgay posted:

Well I guess we can just call this day done and spend the rest of daylight finding other scum.

But wait what about your open and shut case from yesterday?

• Locked thread