Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
https://twitter.com/MW55/status/1037084073301344257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Hey everybody just stopping by to say that "Let's Brickyard!" is a loving retarded marketing campaign, okay bye

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Reynold posted:

Hey everybody just stopping by to say that "Let's Brickyard!" is a loving retarded marketing campaign, okay bye

seems like the BC39 has way more buzz here locally than the 400

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Reynold posted:

Agreed, it should be "Let's Big Machine Vodka 400 at the Brickyard" for accuracy

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
GODDAMMIT SPENCER YOUR DAD WAS SUPPOSED TO BUY YOU THAT TEAM, IS HE THAT PISSED ABOUT THE DRUG THING?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kevin Harvick will not run any further Xfinity races unless it's a special circumstance.

I'm surprised he's not spinning it that this is Ross Chastain's fault for costing the fans Kevin Harvick in the B League.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
gently caress Kevin Harvick.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

“NASCAR will continue to work on growing the sport and working with the race teams on competitive and operational excellence. Much of those efforts have already been put in place, and will continue to be a focus.”

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/thatsracin/article217802735.html#storylink=cpy

:tif:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/1037345109027835904?s=19

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I've been very much enjoying NBC's broadcast experiments all year tbh

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Same. They aren't all working, but I appreciate them trying things out to see what works.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Junior catching himself from saying he caught a whooping from stealing from his dad's change jar to buy a Game Boy was hilarious.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Maybe this will inspire fox to bring Digger back.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NASFACTS/status/1037039199847960577

:tviv:

There's no way he can top that one, th--

https://twitter.com/NASFACTS/status/1037051766511161344

:vince:

kidcoelacanth posted:

Some of them have been pretty good. Their version of the drivers' only broadcast was fun because, unlike FOX, it has the "guys hanging out and watching sports" feel ESPN's CFB Playoff alternate broadcast has.

That said, and hear me out because this is radical, I've got an idea they can try:

Saucer Crab posted:

Junior catching himself from saying he caught a whooping from stealing from his dad's change jar to buy a Game Boy was hilarious.

He told that one in full on a podcast earlier this year. Dale Sr. also found out he wasn't doing homework and, for that one, "got the belt".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 5, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yeah, the corner announcers for The Glen worked out really well and I'm glad they brought it back. Indy is one of those tracks where there's action in all four corners, especially with the slower stock cars.

When they let the spotter chatter run for a couple of laps during Daytona, not once, but twice, it was amazing because it was an insight you normally don't get.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Honestly, I would travel and pay cash money dollars for "IROC, but with unmodified factory fresh Chevy Aveos at Richmond"

Unrelated there's gonna be a local short track style late model & street stock race night at Richmond on Oct 20, come on out if you're in the area!

http://www.richmondraceway.com/Tickets/Calendar-of-Events/Row/Events/PASS-Series-Fall-2018.aspx

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 5, 2018

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Jet Fuel is now STOCK. As are itchy elbows.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The comments are all "Nobody makes a RWD V8" but nobody makes the obvious galaxy brain leap and says "hey maybe they should run FWD cars"

maybe they should run FWD cars.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nobody makes a rwd v8 except, y'know, the camaro and the mustang but i guess those aren't real?

toyota doesn't i guess but nascar should just say 'gently caress v8s' and let them run the supra with a straight 6 (which is a more rad engine type anyway v8s are overrated as gently caress)

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

But but... MUH HISTORY!!

:911:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry but here in real 'merirca 8 or more cylinders is for racing. Them faggy little 6banger shits all them sissy European seriezs or wannbe European series without fenders use are for sissies and ladymen who can't handle the pure Power of 'merican muscle.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
MAY EVERY JGR CAR NOT #19 DNF EVERY RACE THE REST OF 2018, THEN EVERY JGR CAR DNF EVERY RACE 2019 ON

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

The comments are all "Nobody makes a RWD V8" but nobody makes the obvious galaxy brain leap and says "hey maybe they should run FWD cars"

maybe they should run FWD cars.

I've got the rope.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Sorry but here in real 'merirca 8 or more cylinders is for racing. Them faggy little 6banger shits all them sissy European seriezs or wannbe European series without fenders use are for sissies and ladymen who can't handle the pure Power of 'merican muscle.

Language!

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

He told that one in full on a podcast earlier this year. Dale Sr. also found out he wasn't doing homework and, for that one, "got the belt".

Man, this makes me cringe. I understand that everyone is human, and as a prospective parent I'm trying hard to impose my views on child rearing on other parents because I think that's lovely, but I would be a liar if I said I was totally cool with this. Good parents can do bad things and that doesn't make them monsters or abusers, but gently caress dude, the belt for not doing homework?

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 6, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SpitztheGreat posted:

Man, this makes me cringe. I understand that everyone is human, and as a prospective parent I'm trying hard to impose my views on child rearing on other parents because I think that's lovely, but I would be a liar if I said I was totally cool with this. Good parents can do bad things and that doesn't make them monsters or abusers, but gently caress dude, the belt for not doing homework?

Have you met anyone raised in the south?

Like, agreed its lovely and wrong. But that's not even close to surprising or any kind of shocking revelation.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
No, you're right that it isn't surprising, but it still bums me out. In the abstract, I know many southerners experienced it, but hearing experiences from individuals bothers me. That said, while we laugh now about the $80 he stole, at the time that is a very serious infraction and the punishment is going to be extreme. If he got the belt for not doing homework, I literally do not want to know what happened to him for stealing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SpitztheGreat posted:

No, you're right that it isn't surprising, but it still bums me out. In the abstract, I know many southerners experienced it, but hearing experiences from individuals bothers me. That said, while we laugh now about the $80 he stole, at the time that is a very serious infraction and the punishment is going to be extreme. If he got the belt for not doing homework, I literally do not want to know what happened to him for stealing.

My wife got the belt for putting forks in the dishwasher wrong or turning a napkin the wrong way on the table as a kid.

gently caress, adrian Peterson beat his kid with a switch so bad his testicles had cuts. And people still white knighted him and he still has a job.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SpitztheGreat posted:

quote:

“I stole $80 out of my dad’s change jar and bought a Game Boy,” he said, laughing. “Teresa (his stepmother) put locks on every door in the house after that. That was pretty drat embarrassing and shameful.”

The 1980 championship belt story and him being sent to military school for goofing off too much are also detailed here (this was the podcast I alluded to earlier): http://www.dalejr.com/media/2018/04/04/legendary-whoopings-age-limits-and-a-tire-dragon-dot-the-download

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, this is a thing:
https://twitter.com/RaceWeather/status/1037557442828279809

Right now, a race is considered official once the second stage concludes (formerly halfway point).

Now, that makes me think a bit, NASCAR should move to a F1 style "race clock", especially now that you have distinct portions of the season and you have to finish each portion up in a timely matter. F1 has a limit of 2 hours on the track under yellow/green flag conditions. It also has a 4 hour total limit from the time the race is supposed to start. This also includes red flags. If the race fails to go 75% of the distance, half points are awarded, but that's unlikely to happen in a NASCAR setting.

NASCAR should look at... 4 hours on track for Cup, and revise downwards for the lower series. Tack on 3-4 hours for any potential red flag stuff and you have a 7-8 hour race window.

Though, yes, F1 is willing to race in rain, but NASCAR won't on ovals (and I understand why).

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Found a NASCAR Mexico Truck Series race on YouTube the other day, and they used a race clock for oval racing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

NASCAR won't on ovals

Find a way.

You want to put on a show for the fans? That would be a show.

Find a way, you pussies

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

SpitztheGreat posted:

Misusing belts was an Earnhardt tradition, if Bill Simpson can be believed.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Boomer The Cannon posted:

:drat:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Just lol if your parents had to use a belt like plebs instead of a task-dedicated razor strop passed down the generations and displayed conspicuously above the tv

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Holy poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:distonk:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

God drat

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kasey Kahne will not run at Indy due to "extreme heat exhaustion".

https://twitter.com/LFR95/status/1037842181250338817

Is this like that time he ragequit the 9 car starting at Charlotte because of Carbon Monoxide poisoning but ran a 5k the next day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

I'm a pretty jaded member of SA, but I gotta say this is one of the darkest comments I can remember. I laughed, then felt guilty, then wondered how I could be so jaded. Congrats on sending on an emotional roller coaster.

If any of you aren't on the Discord, I would recommend watching the full interview with Jr, but this clip just makes me want to give him a hug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15FjRzhRtlY