Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Here's what I've been able to find in terms of Zack Snyder actually talking about his relationship to the book:

Hollywood Reporter, 2016 posted:

Given all your involvements, do you have time to develop anything outside of this?
ZACK [...] I have been working on The Fountainhead. I've always felt like The Fountainhead was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something. Warner Bros. owns [Ayn Rand’s] script and I’ve just been working on that a little bit.

A very short aside about his relationship with its themes of having control of one's own art. It's a bit much to extrapolate an entire political ideology from this one statement, though I'd say it shows he's got bad taste in prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Saying you are willing to talk about movies as long as they don’t talk about subtext is a hell of a statement.

Like what would you discuss just the plot?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And even then in The Incredibles the government is presented as well-meaning and sometimes helpful while the self-made man is the villain .

Not to mention the soulless, capitalist boss of Bob's insurance company is portrayed as being an obstacle in the way of justice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Darth Walrus posted:

What about Snyder’s work is clearly satirical, though? Verhoeven undermines his fascist premise through dark, absurd humour, while Snyder’s films seem rather more straight-faced.
lmbo that you think Verhoeven's work is "clearly" satirical.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ghostlight posted:

lmbo that you think Verhoeven's work is "clearly" satirical.

yeah didn't a bunch of dipshit critics hate starship troopers because the satire was completely and utterly lost on their dumb asses

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah didn't a bunch of dipshit critics hate starship troopers because the satire was completely and utterly lost on their dumb asses

They didn't want to know more.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

People who talk about Incredibles as an endorsement of objectivism always seem to forget that Syndrome is a loving murderer.
The types with this take that i've seen know that. They'll just go "But he's the strawman leftist not the Objectivist hero."

TBF his whole speech about giving the world his tech with the whole echoing of "If everyone is special no one is" does give the film some Great Man vibes but that doesn't mean you can ignore his self-made ness and call the film objectivitist.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
There's also how the good guys in The Incredibles are all altruistic and the villains are all selfish pricks. I know that's like the most basic of basics in storytelling, but selfishness is Ayn Rand's whole philosophy, she even wrote a book about it.

On topic, watch Renegade Cut's video on the movie

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Saying you are willing to talk about movies as long as they don’t talk about subtext is a hell of a statement.

Like what would you discuss just the plot?

I don't see anyone talking about subtext here. Just a bunch of nonsense making huge leaps of logic trying to make out a guy to be some kind of idiot who doesn't know what he's doing and not the actual subtext or text of the films under scrutiny here. Besides that, every time this stuff gets brought up [the board that shan't be mentioned] always get called a bunch of weirdos for reading into films too much or some silliness like that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you're not weirdos for reading into films

you're weirdos for watching nothing but movies for 13 year old boys as a bunch of alcoholics in their 30s

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jimbot posted:

I don't see anyone talking about subtext here. Just a bunch of nonsense making huge leaps of logic trying to make out a guy to be some kind of idiot who doesn't know what he's doing and not the actual subtext or text of the films under scrutiny here. Besides that, every time this stuff gets brought up [the board that shan't be mentioned] always get called a bunch of weirdos for reading into films too much or some silliness like that.

Your politics usually make up the bulk of subtext. You just don’t like what’s being discussed,there is a difference.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alacron posted:

There's also how the good guys in The Incredibles are all altruistic and the villains are all selfish pricks. I know that's like the most basic of basics in storytelling, but selfishness is Ayn Rand's whole philosophy, she even wrote a book about it.

It's repeatedly brought up that they are altruistic and therefore Not Objectivists, but they actually aren't altruistic and that is clearly shown within the text of the movie. When the government suppresses supers, which is communicated to the audience to not be in the public interest, the Incredibles act in their own self-interest by becoming mundane citizens. Mr Incredible talks about doing vigilante stuff as "remembering the glory days" - not as performing a civic duty in service of others: it's treated with the same levity of being a high-school quarterback would be, it's about him diminished as an individual of power in the eyes of others, not about the people he's failed to help in his absence. He is rejuvenated not by discovering a new way to serve others (the reverse is shown) but by accepting mercenary terms to merely display his individual prowess.

The mere act of saving other people does not make you an altruist anymore than buying yourself a candy bar makes you an Objectivist. Objectivism explicitly states that the individual must take priority, but it does not dictate how that takes place - if part of your self-identity is that you gain satisfaction from spending your wealth (or power) on others then you must not deny that part of your identity even though superficially it stands in opposition to the idea of 'Selfishness' as it is understood by many people. These are the motivations in play in The Incredibles - Mr Incredible firstly by pride in himself then anger with Syndrome, Elastigirl by her desire for a stable family, and the children by their dependence on the family unit.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Does there exist some sort of inverse to the idea of 'Death of the Author', where it's instead pointing out critics who are just projecting their own obsessions and faults onto a film that can only tenuously be linked to topics brought up in a critique?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They didn't want to know more.

:golfclap:

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alacron posted:

Of course , that's how the movie frames our protagonist. The problem of objectivist isn't that they are selfish, it's that they believe what's materialy good for them is what's good for society. It's anti collectivist. Say if Trump started universal free healthcare because he hated the insurance industry. It's still a good thing for millions of people, even if it's a terrible person doing it for the wrong reasons.

Also the language of "Altruism" has just been co-opted by big corporations anyway. If only government and regulations would stop restraining the supers from reaching there full potential we could truly make america great again.

Alacron posted:

Ok let me put it this way, does being a cop make you an altruistic person? Because as far as the movie explains it that's all the incredibles are about. I don't remember them saying why they do it other than they just like the job. The movie isn't about Altruism it's about being special or, more accurately, superior.

Syndrome and the manlet insurance manager aren't bad because they're greedy capitalist, that's just a byproduct of their main flaw, they are bad because they don't know there place. Edna Mode is basically Elon Musk and Anna Wintour combined and she's not only good, but voiced by Brad Bird himself.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your politics usually make up the bulk of subtext. You just don’t like what’s being discussed,there is a difference.

And the subtext of his films don't support any of that. I don't go in with confirmation bias and twist the subtext to create a monster of a person based off of popular consensus. The guy has always had the moniker of "fratboy dudebro" that has evolved into a "fascist objectivist". So going into his film, because I have to review it, I'm seeing it through the lens of an idiot who doesn't understand anything and it's all bad.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

When Death of the Author was formulated, Roland Barthes famously specifically wrote a 'but Zack Snyder is just bad' clause, preventing further thought on the topic in the minds of film critics and liberal youtubers who, just happen, just keep in the back of your mind, just happen, to think the films the snyderverse is criticising are the next sistine chapel

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

OmanyteJackson posted:

Syndrome and the manlet insurance manager aren't bad because they're greedy capitalist, that's just a byproduct of their main flaw, they are bad because they don't know there place. Edna Mode is basically Elon Musk and Anna Wintour combined and she's not only good, but voiced by Brad Bird himself.

Edna was originally to be voiced by Lily Tomlinson, but she suggested the placeholder voice by Bird was already good. Nobody gave a poo poo out about Musk 14 years ago because no one had heard of him.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
You guys are Death Note fans, right? The other night me and my Bro watched the film and I liked it. I dunno why they didn't just put Willam Defore in makeup, maybe he enjoyed the Beyond Two Souls experience, whatever.

At the end my bro and I started chatting about what Light's dad would do and if L actually wrote something and then the whole conversation died because the movie started showing outtakes and Pre-Production SFX shots and I wound upyelling at the screen like"WTF are you doing, movie? You just killed your own atmosphere you just spend the last 90 mins making! Idiot!"

Anyway - tell me why the film is bad and stuff.

Content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbJVd5C8OU0

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KayTee posted:

You guys are Death Note fans, right? The other night me and my Bro watched the film and I liked it. I dunno why they didn't just put Willam Defore in makeup, maybe he enjoyed the Beyond Two Souls experience, whatever.

At the end my bro and I started chatting about what Light's dad would do and if L actually wrote something and then the whole conversation died because the movie started showing outtakes and Pre-Production SFX shots and I wound upyelling at the screen like"WTF are you doing, movie? You just killed your own atmosphere you just spend the last 90 mins making! Idiot!"

If you like the Netflix version and want more Death Note, the Japanese live-action movie duology is a great adaptation of the best parts of the manga.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
When I think of Death of the Author, I just think of that one guy on CD who kept doubling down on how Get Out wasn't about racism.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Edna was originally to be voiced by Lily Tomlinson, but she suggested the placeholder voice by Bird was already good. Nobody gave a poo poo out about Musk 14 years ago because no one had heard of him.

okay... what?

I think you misunderstood what I was saying about Edna. She's Also a lovely capitalist but the movie frames her as a good person because she sells what basically equates to wearable missile defence systems to super powered PMCs.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

KayTee posted:

Anyway - tell me why the film is bad and stuff.
I will do no such thing, the Netflix Deathnote movie was very good. Though I didn't have the outtakes show up, that could indeed have screwed with my enjoyment a bit.

The Netflix Deathnote movie is telling more or less the same story as the anime/manga just without narrative buying into Light's bullshit, and attributing things to luck instead of Light's supposed brilliance.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The american Death Note is interesting because you can tell the creators both respected the source material and wanted to make something different. It's bad, but I can see a good 10 episode mini series in there if they gave the characters more room to breath.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jimbot posted:

And the subtext of his films don't support any of that. I don't go in with confirmation bias and twist the subtext to create a monster of a person based off of popular consensus. The guy has always had the moniker of "fratboy dudebro" that has evolved into a "fascist objectivist". So going into his film, because I have to review it, I'm seeing it through the lens of an idiot who doesn't understand anything and it's all bad.

It’s adorable you think you are immune to confirmation bias but I this this convo proves that kind of false.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hbomberguy posted:

When Death of the Author was formulated, Roland Barthes famously specifically wrote a 'but Zack Snyder is just bad' clause, preventing further thought on the topic in the minds of film critics and liberal youtubers who, just happen, just keep in the back of your mind, just happen, to think the films the snyderverse is criticising are the next sistine chapel

Kind of morbid to use DotA when the literal author is still alive, though. :zombie:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

tim burton did bad fascist batman better to be honest

rvm
May 6, 2013

business hammocks posted:

I don’t think 300 is a joke. I don’t think Snyder is bad and I don’t think he knows, but it’s just kind of in there, pushing against what he’s pretty sure he believes.

300 is in-universe propaganda. It's basically a retelling of the events by a person who wasn't even there for most of it. Hence, the fire-breathing Persians and other nonsense. It's probably even less subtle than Starship Troopers.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:discourse:

Edit: So the Extra Credits folks have decided to kickstart a board game based on their understanding of politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-kcu98C5I

I immediately lost interest at "At its core, politics is a battle of ideas." I mean... isn't it about power? I could swear it was about power.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 7, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Echo Chamber posted:

When I think of Death of the Author, I just think of that one guy on CD who kept doubling down on how Get Out wasn't about racism.
Now that's a spicy take. :stare:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

This is the stupidest thing I've seen this month. I'm now feeling depressed.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

I feel like Verhoeven's aesthetic has a kind of sympathy to fascism, even if he tries to play it cool like he's all the way into ironic distance. I don't think he's bad necessarily, but the purity of the volk as defended by the muscly army dudes against the roiling impure bug people has appeared more than once in the guy's movies.

Thats my favorite part of Showgirls.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Netflix Death Note was pretty good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When Mr Incredible is doing superhero stuff out of self interest it is portrayed in a negative light. His moonlighting and his mercenary work for Mirage are built on self delusion and lies. The film frames his truly heroic moments when he finds a reason to be a Super beyond beating his impotence, using his powers to protect other people whether it is his family or civilians.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

OmanyteJackson posted:

Of course , that's how the movie frames our protagonist. The problem of objectivist isn't that they are selfish, it's that they believe what's materialy good for them is what's good for society. It's anti collectivist.

Rand literally called this "the virtue of selfishness."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also, just a heads up, new fascism simulator, Marvel's Spider-Man is now playable.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Incredibles movies are both thematically very messy but the first one is better because the family stuff is a lot tighter.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Hbomberguy posted:

I feel like Verhoeven's aesthetic has a kind of sympathy to fascism, even if he tries to play it cool like he's all the way into ironic distance. I don't think he's bad necessarily, but the purity of the volk as defended by the muscly army dudes against the roiling impure bug people has appeared more than once in the guy's movies.

I've always read it as a sympathy to people caught up in fascism. Rico and pals don't know any other way, so they perpetuate a hegemony that they have little understanding of because they have no reference point to an alternative (and when they do, it's from a collectivist species so totally alien that has been the target of relentless propaganda). Then the people who do know better such as Rasczack and Rico's parents do attempt to dissuade them but ultimately get hosed over twice as hard.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Incredibles doesn't really have objectivism coursing through it, but you could argue for the presence of values based on the watered-down, altruism-friendly neoliberal alternative that was synthesized by people like Greenspan which idolizes "benevolent" ""great men"" like Bill Gates and Elon Musk rather than publicly selfish ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:discourse:

Edit: So the Extra Credits folks have decided to kickstart a board game based on their understanding of politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-kcu98C5I

I immediately lost interest at "At its core, politics is a battle of ideas." I mean... isn't it about power? I could swear it was about power.

Ineffectual Centrist Discourse: The Game looks kind of awful, but will be redeemed if you can break the game's mechanics because there are no built in counters to continually forcing everyone to the right.