Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Wrr posted:

I haven't checked it out yet myself, but the screenshots make it look like a mod-rear end mod. The big faction hub looked too much like a cheap MMO for my tastes and really put me off it. The companion NPCs all got that overly dolled up perfect second life wife look that makes my skin crawl. I guess I might as well do some sort of trip report.

Your first companion is found in the insane asylum where she has been imprisoned for hundreds of years. Oh, and she's naked.

I never got much further. Supposedly it changes the endings so you don't have to murder everyone save your chosen faction, but it also turns the Institute into "the Sinstitute". That's not a typo.

so yeah, really lore friendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Lum_ posted:

Your first companion is found in the insane asylum where she has been imprisoned for hundreds of years. Oh, and she's naked.

I never got much further. Supposedly it changes the endings so you don't have to murder everyone save your chosen faction, but it also turns the Institute into "the Sinstitute". That's not a typo.

SINstitute replaced my wife with a big titty SINth with perfect glowing skin.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anyone have any experience with the uhh "brightness bug"? It's not game breaking, but it is really annoying

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Fuligin posted:

Anyone have any experience with the uhh "brightness bug"? It's not game breaking, but it is really annoying
Never heard of this, but make sure you don't have some weird equipment that's doing it. I had a bug once where there was a visual effect stuck on and going underwater fixed it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lum_ posted:

Alllllright, I think I understand the problem now. JFC

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, that looks like an improvement to me.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/34540 I cannot speak english

staberind fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 7, 2018

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

Lum_ posted:

Well, I definitely can't compete on Pimp Hats! :confuoot

A couple of goons have asked about the mod I'm working on, and actually one of the most common questions I've gotten in general is "how lore friendly is this?" so I figured I would record the opening scene and you can decide for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFR9DXsy_c

(Remember this is my literal first ever mod soooo....yeah.)

The main story definitely takes place "alongside" rather than within the Fallout universe per se (I wrote this as a short story years ago), but it fits neatly with it as the setting is also post-apocalyptic. And Kit, the companion that comes with the mod, will react to things you do in the main Fallout story itself, and will ask about them/want to talk about them. Your answers have a big influence in how she interprets what she sees, and what she's been through herself. Another thing I really tried to do with this project is to improve the way dialogue works and flows, which was almost one of the hardest things to get right.

So yeah....no waifu stuff or anything. (that's probably the second most common question, in a way that suggests that's what a lot of people actually want. Yikes, sorry but no!)

edit: Oh, and the voice of A.G.N.I.S. is missing right now (Still tweaking how I want it to sound in game) so there's just subtitles for those few lines, for now.

Nika fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 7, 2018

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Pshaw, this is a bethesda game. if its possible to waifu it, there's a mod for that.
and if its not possible to waifu it, its because todd howard has not personally hosed it while wearing a mocap suit yet.
this is tame.

i want to gently caress synths and then shoot them with a gun that has the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-maJpKBDVw&t=45s sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAB4UhUwjY uh

staberind fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 7, 2018

Sir Fontlebottom
Mar 18, 2008

Nika posted:

Well, I definitely can't compete on Pimp Hats!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFR9DXsy_c

lol what the hell? This looks a thousand times better than the conversations in the game itself. I don't know if that speaks amazingly for you or THAT egregiously for bethsoft, but either way Kudos.

Kit also looks rad.

Has anyone here had issues with sim settlements completely crapping itself when upgrading to the three in one? I just got my desktop working again and haven't updated in awhile so I stupidly just did that and now like half my settlements cause crashes when I try and go to them. Am I just kinda screwed and have to start over?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sir Fontlebottom posted:

Has anyone here had issues with sim settlements completely crapping itself when upgrading to the three in one? I just got my desktop working again and haven't updated in awhile so I stupidly just did that and now like half my settlements cause crashes when I try and go to them. Am I just kinda screwed and have to start over?

Make sure your graphics card's up to date, sometimes a system update will slot in POS reference drivers.

Then go into the Sim Settlements performance options and turn down multithreading.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Sir Fontlebottom posted:

lol what the hell? This looks a thousand times better than the conversations in the game itself. I don't know if that speaks amazingly for you or THAT egregiously for bethsoft, but either way Kudos.

Kit also looks rad.

This is what caused me to start a new save. I tried for a couple hours, reverting, switching back to the old 3 part SimSettlements, using different files - nothing stopped the crashes completely. Sorry bud.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
There's a new version of this assault rifle parts mod, now with a version that just adds a bunch of parts rather than adding extra effects or replacing the existing parts. New parts from version 1 too.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/34545

https://twitter.com/Project_F4NV/status/1038230678742216704

This looks like a really solid version of the Fallout 3 10mm pistol, which I never really liked. I particularly like the stripped down version.

Erd fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 8, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've reflected on it, and realized that the official Horizon weapon merge pack is, frankly, poo poo. How bad is it going to hit if I uninstall it in the middle of my playthrough?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I've reflected on it, and realized that the official Horizon weapon merge pack is, frankly, poo poo. How bad is it going to hit if I uninstall it in the middle of my playthrough?

Why do you say it's poo poo?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It hasn't been updated in a while and all the guns are, frankly, poo poo compared to the vanilla ones. They're almost always strict downgrades.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also some of the models are garbage, like no shadow mapping or whatever. It's really odd.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Is it this one?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23892

If so does it alter the leveled list or use a quest to add them? The mod summary doesn't specify.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Erd posted:

Is it this one?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23892

If so does it alter the leveled list or use a quest to add them? The mod summary doesn't specify.

I think the actual Horizon installer has an .esp that merges them into the leveled lists, though I could be wrong since I don't know this modding stuff.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

OwlFancier posted:

It hasn't been updated in a while and all the guns are, frankly, poo poo compared to the vanilla ones. They're almost always strict downgrades.

Horizon 1.5 only uses the models from the pack, the ESP is in the main installer and is updated. Make sure you use that in your load order and not the Merge Pack esp.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Sounds like if you do plan to remove it, it will be pain in the arse. Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to snip all the scripts with Fallrimtools.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
These two merges are really fun and good, but have fun doing the archive tango with all the mods they needs :v:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28075
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32141

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I was messing around with the Ambush Kit and decided to use console commands to equip all my settlers with Marine Armor, upgraded Plasma Rifles, and Nuke Grenades. The result is just as ridiculous as it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8kPpdtDO_I

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I got Fallout 4 and finished it in early 2017, and only recently re-installed it to start a new game and chill out/play Fah Hahbah and the other DLC, and I need some advice:

Is Sim Settlements worth installing?

More specifically, is it worth it for me to install it, given that:
- I hate the settlement system
- I don't want to build things using FO4's god-awful interface
- I don't care about any of the settlers, and I don't want to spend time managing them
- I'm mostly okay with keeping all my extra stuff in a toolbox at the Red Rocket
- but I like having lots of junk on hand to mod weapons and armor, and I remember that having a bunch of settlements connected with supply lines scavenging junk for me meant that I was the Garbage King of the Wasteland the first time I played

I can't quite tell from the mod's description and faq whether it's for me or not. I assume that it can't possibly be as terrible as the vanilla settlement system, but I don't know if it's actually good, or at least, good enough to justify whatever hassle goes into using it. What's the consensus here on that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Almost certainly yes if you install Rise Of The Commonwealth because then you can just set spare followers to run settlements and they'll automatically grow and build shops/resource gathering poo poo for you that works much better than the vanilla stuff. Like literally, you claim the settlement, drop a mayor desk down, set a follower to it using the interface, and then it automatically builds everything else for you. And you can make it super hands off too if you want, it'll ask you about that usually when you start the mod for the first time.

If you want more functional settlements you can also get Industrial Revolution which adds a bunch of specific resource producing buildings.

Sim settlements is a loving wonderful mod because you can be as involved as you want with it, you can let it run entirely autonomously if you want, or you can get really involved and play it very mechanics-heavy.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
It definitely has the potential to simplify the experience for you. When you run the mod for the first time, (and find the appropriate holotape), there's a configuration menu that asks you questions about your intended playstyle and adjusts the mod's settings appropriately.

The thing that might appeal most to you is the fact that in many cases (at least in my experience), laying down plots can be a set-it and forget-it experience. Plop down a resident plot, make sure there's power, your dude builds his house. Want him to farm as well, throw down an agriculture plot. The mod will automatically assign a homeless settler to a residential plot, and an unemployed settler to a job, if you tell it to. It will also randomly assign what kind of house/farm is built, so you don't have to micromanage that either if you don't want.

The best part is that if you find you enjoy what Sim Settlements adds to the gameplay, there's a whole trove of extra plots available on the Nexus, as well as city plans, which entirely remove you from the nitty gritty of even deciding what goes where. Mind you, I haven't really experimented much with city plans yet.

E: ^ What he said.

E2: v And that fella.

Plotac 75 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 21, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sim Settlements is probably one of the best mods (not just in features but just generally like, keeping feature bloat down) in fo4 or any bgs game

If you don't care for settlements you can just have the towns auto-build for you so you can assign a leader/mayor whatever and it has a pre-planned layout for the town so you can leave and over time it just builds up on its own (personally i recommend disabling building requirements in settings cause I found that to take too long like really long without donating a bunch of mats which kind of defeats the purpose of set it and forget it imo)

vanilla sim settlements only has companions able to be mayors but if you search nexus for like settlements leaders theres a bunch of options for making npcs that usually come with some settlements (like surges, etc) leaders and you can pick out what you like. sim settlements works in a way even if you have two overlapping mods for leaders it wont conflict, you'll just get two separate cards for the same leaders and you can pick which one you prefer

edit: even for settlements you dont want to just automate completely sim settlements is good cause it gives you a bunch of ready to go plots for stores (also interior plots if you want to just plop down a store or something inside a building like some settlements have) or resource gathering like farms or junk mills. these will level up over time to have more inventory and fixtures as well

personally, go with the 3-in-1 sim settlement package unless you're on console and really tight on space i guess

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 21, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sim Settlements does so much for the settlement building system, and I hope kinggath's next big issue to tackle with it (if he still hasn't been hired by some game company) is actually making the settlement system have a substantial effect on the Wasteland. It's stuff like the basic design for Red Rocket Truckstop being a fort for defending Sanctuary, but in terms of the world it doesn't really do that, much less act like a military base for the Minutemen should be acting (sending out patrols, etc.)

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Word of warning regarding Sim Settlements, I put the performance level in the holotape at ultra, and approaching certain settlements made the game crash, especially around the star light drive-in settlement. I had to manually delete that settlement in console to stop it from crashing. Not sure if this happens to other users.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Berke Negri posted:

Sim Settlements is probably one of the best mods (not just in features but just generally like, keeping feature bloat down) in fo4 or any bgs game

If you don't care for settlements you can just have the towns auto-build for you so you can assign a leader/mayor whatever and it has a pre-planned layout for the town so you can leave and over time it just builds up on its own (personally i recommend disabling building requirements in settings cause I found that to take too long like really long without donating a bunch of mats which kind of defeats the purpose of set it and forget it imo)

vanilla sim settlements only has companions able to be mayors but if you search nexus for like settlements leaders theres a bunch of options for making npcs that usually come with some settlements (like surges, etc) leaders and you can pick out what you like. sim settlements works in a way even if you have two overlapping mods for leaders it wont conflict, you'll just get two separate cards for the same leaders and you can pick which one you prefer

edit: even for settlements you dont want to just automate completely sim settlements is good cause it gives you a bunch of ready to go plots for stores (also interior plots if you want to just plop down a store or something inside a building like some settlements have) or resource gathering like farms or junk mills. these will level up over time to have more inventory and fixtures as well

personally, go with the 3-in-1 sim settlement package unless you're on console and really tight on space i guess

Is there a special way to activate the pre-planned layout or? I just reached the Castle and I don't feel like building it up, so I might use that feature. I've had the mod for a while now but just haven't used any feature.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dalael posted:

Is there a special way to activate the pre-planned layout or? I just reached the Castle and I don't feel like building it up, so I might use that feature. I've had the mod for a while now but just haven't used any feature.

You need to install the Rise Of The Commonweath expansion pack for it and then you can do that from the mayor's desk.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
The Castle is one of the weaker Rise of the Commonwealth settlements. Unlike settlements which feel like they have some sort of identity such as Red Rocket (a fort), Abernathy Farm (tons of food), Finch Farm (big scrapheap) or Jamaica Plain (a hotel) it just feels like a bunch of farms and shops built in the wreck of an old fort, rather than any sort of minuteman HQ.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kodo posted:

Word of warning regarding Sim Settlements, I put the performance level in the holotape at ultra, and approaching certain settlements made the game crash, especially around the star light drive-in settlement. I had to manually delete that settlement in console to stop it from crashing. Not sure if this happens to other users.

They posted an article recently about this, some settlements force the game to load other settlements simultaneously basically and the script engine can't keep up if you don't stay put for a couple minutes.

There are ini tweaks that reduce it somewhat, and not building in all of the related areas can avoid the issue. Uncapped fps far worsens the issue and makes a crash literally inevitable when you eventually do the wrong action minutes or hours down the line.

Tldr: fps lock to 60, and if you see settlers standing in a clump just chill out at the settlement for a while

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Is there a mod for Sim Settlements that uses the Automatron DLC? Then you could build generic robots to be in charge of your settlement.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Some good tiny mods here:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/34516 Stick Mags for Tommy Guns
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19681 Proper boots for the Marine Armour legs
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22954 Fixes a bunch of textures, noticably the Vault-tech Reps immaculate trench coat.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17615 Robs ghouls of their perfect hair

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Thanks to everyone for the good advice!

I threw Sim Settlements into my game with everything set to be as automatic as possible, and it's been hassle-free enough to make me not dread walking near settlements, speaking to Preston, or listening to Radio Freedom. (If I had one wish, it would be that mayors were entirely optional and towns would just build themselves as soon as I picked a city plan, but going through one awkward menu interface to assign a mayor is no trouble at all compared to having to deal with literally every part of the vanilla settlement system, so I'm fine with it.)

So far they're all low-population and I'm clearly going to have to run around and set up the supply lines for them eventually, but the initial experience has been good.

DukeMan
Mar 28, 2010
Do yourself a favor and get IDEK’s Logistics Station:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28945/

And optionally Salvage Beacons:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18757/

The former automates supply lines and the latter allows you to empty your pockets into a container and have the settlement of your choice come pick them up. Both require you to build something and assign a settler to it but it’s a minimal hassle and makes life so much easier. One thing to note if you’re using Rise of the Commonwealth is to wait until the city gets built up a bit before placing any custom stuff or it will get built over or removed IIRC. I used a settlement expansion mod so I built mine outside the vanilla boundary the ROTC settlements use.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DukeMan posted:

Do yourself a favor and get IDEK’s Logistics Station:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28945/

And optionally Salvage Beacons:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18757/

The former automates supply lines and the latter allows you to empty your pockets into a container and have the settlement of your choice come pick them up. Both require you to build something and assign a settler to it but it’s a minimal hassle and makes life so much easier. One thing to note if you’re using Rise of the Commonwealth is to wait until the city gets built up a bit before placing any custom stuff or it will get built over or removed IIRC. I used a settlement expansion mod so I built mine outside the vanilla boundary the ROTC settlements use.

What I did is just replace one of the ROTC plots (usually a food plot) with the supply station. They usually overproduce on food and with the logistics they'll share between settlements anyway.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I've just started modding thanks to this thread. I'm using Settlement Keywords Expanded v1.57, Homemaker and Sim Settlements and I've somehow hosed it up so that I can no longer build water purifiers or turrets. Can someone smarter than me help me fix it? Here's my full mod list:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Did you use LOOT to fix the load order?

Also you can probably take out Working Food Planters, iirc that's included in Homemaker.

e: Maybe you need to install Looksmenu and perhaps Mod Configuration Menu