Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Guiness13 posted:

Realistically, what I'm most likely to get out of it is a rejection letter. Don't get me wrong, I'm enthusiastic about the idea, and I want it, but I've done some research into U of M's program and I'm not blind to my chances here. But, if I did get in, it would be 2-3 years of funded writing time with an adviser for guidance. And, yeah, also classes, both to take and possibly teach (god help me). I'm not looking for a silver bullet, but it would give me time and guidance, one of which I need, the other of which I want.

As for why U of M, it's local to me. As for why not any of the other, similar programs, I have a very good reason to stay in Michigan for another ten years. Namely, an eight year old. As for why not any of the other local programs, U of M was the only one that guaranteed a stipend.

Good on you for doing some research, but what comes after? Those 2-3 years might be nice (don’t dismiss the classes or the teaching), but the stipend won’t be grand by any stretch, so you’d have to figure out your $ situation overall. Just don’t let the excitement blind you to the work this really entails and where you go after. Is this a career path switch or just a break to do some writing with some guidance (which can vary wildly, I might add)?

Apologies if this is a derail, I just want you to be honest with yourself about your motives and plan going forward. You don’t have to justify yourself to me or anyone else here, just be aware this is a bit more than a lark to do some writing, and if I had to guess, the job market (which I would think would be a consideration?) won’t be lovely. I feel like I’m seeing the “silver bullet” mentality peeking through a bit, despite your claims you’re past it.

Not judging, just want to make you aware of the reality of the whole shebang as my warped brain reads it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Guiness13 posted:

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I've got the crazy idea of applying for an MFA program. My problem is that my educational and employment history have been decidedly not fiction oriented. (Worked as a paralegal.) So, who should I be asking for letters of recommendation?

Actually answering your question (probably w/some info you've read, assume that's for other people reading later):
1) Email the university and ask (Email admissions questions to graduate.english@umich.edu or call 734.763.4139; Probably even better: zellwriters@umich.edu)
2)"Can someone other than a creative writing teacher write a letter of recommendation for me?
Yes, you can ask a non-academic to provide a letter of recommendation for your file. It is best, however, if the person writing on your behalf is somehow qualified to assess your writing. And while we will accept recommendations from sources that are not academic or writerly, keep in mind that having a friend or family acquaintance (or even a well-known writer who has never actually read your work) extol your virtues doesn't help the program evaluate your strengths as a candidate."
3) Don't give up just b/c you don't have any ~writerly~ recommendation letters. You have the writing sample to show how you write. Worst case scenario is you're out $75 and maybe feel bad.
5) Grad school admissions thread in Ask/Tell might have some answers
6) Hopefully one of the people who post here who actually have an MFA will answer you.

Giving you advice you didn't even f ucking ask for:
7) As mentioned already, the stipend won't be much money. It looks to be less than half of the average salary for a paralegal in Ann Arbor. Though you say "worked" so maybe you are unemployed or doing something else now.
8) The chances of making a successful career change to anything writing related after getting an MFA are slim, so also consider what effect a 2-3 year gap in your profession would mean for you long-term. (Highly recommend trying to see what previous graduates from the program are doing right now. It's clearly an exclusive program, but not all graduates are successful writers. https://lsa.umich.edu/writers/alumni-friends/alumni-books.html -- I think I'm seeing less than 10 graduates with more than one published novel in the past 20 years? One of them has two listings for what seem to be the same rom-com with only 13 combined reviews on Amazon....)
9) Personally I wouldn't bother applying if you want to write genre.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

sebmojo posted:

Thunderdome is very good for this.

Thunderdome seems a bit intense given I'm currently kind of struggling with my current ~500 words/week project, but I'll certainly keep it on the docket.

Exmond posted:

What are you looking for, To grow your audience? To get feedback/crits? Do you just want to be held accountable to post a weekly story?

Accountability, I guess? I'm almost done with the weekly thing and I'm not sure what my next move is, but in general I want somewhere public to publish things so they can have a "finished" state. Part of that is that other people have to be able to see it so I'm motivated to make an effort, so a bit of audience building has to be there I guess. Feedback is always good, but it's a tertiary consideration at best; if I want an honest-to-god critique I'll take it these forums or Scribophile or somewhere else that's explicitly for that purpose.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

Thunderdome seems a bit intense given I'm currently kind of struggling with my current ~500 words/week project, but I'll certainly keep it on the docket.

Accountability, I guess? I'm almost done with the weekly thing and I'm not sure what my next move is, but in general I want somewhere public to publish things so they can have a "finished" state. Part of that is that other people have to be able to see it so I'm motivated to make an effort, so a bit of audience building has to be there I guess. Feedback is always good, but it's a tertiary consideration at best; if I want an honest-to-god critique I'll take it these forums or Scribophile or somewhere else that's explicitly for that purpose.

Do Thunderdome. There's no minimum story length (that I've ever seen) so even if you write 500 words, as long as it's 500 decent words that tell a complete story you're good to go. If you're struggling to do 500 words a week, maybe the risk of public mocking for a failure to submit your TD story will motivate? Plus you're guaranteed at least 3 people will read and critique your story.

Edit: also TD is fun and dumb, and the best part is submitting stuff you're not sure about just to see what the result is.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Do Thunderdome. There's no minimum story length (that I've ever seen) so even if you write 500 words, as long as it's 500 decent words that tell a complete story you're good to go. If you're struggling to do 500 words a week, maybe the risk of public mocking for a failure to submit your TD story will motivate? Plus you're guaranteed at least 3 people will read and critique your story.

Edit: also TD is fun and dumb, and the best part is submitting stuff you're not sure about just to see what the result is.

Oh, right. I totally blanked on the fact those word counts are maximums, not minimums. I definitely will do that then, once I'm finished with my current thing.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
If you want to hang out with other writer goons in a non-TD setting, there is also the discord server. We have a crit channel if there's anything in particular you wanted people to look at.

Good luck in the 'dome.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

CantDecideOnAName posted:

If you want to hang out with other writer goons in a non-TD setting, there is also the discord server. We have a crit channel if there's anything in particular you wanted people to look at.

Good luck in the 'dome.

There's a discord? poo poo, how did I miss this?

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Stuporstar posted:

There's a discord? poo poo, how did I miss this?

https://discord.gg/mft2Myj

It's pretty new, only a few months old. Someone in here was asking if there was one, and since there wasn't, one was made.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

Guiness13 posted:

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I've got the crazy idea of applying for an MFA program. My problem is that my educational and employment history have been decidedly not fiction oriented. (Worked as a paralegal.) So, who should I be asking for letters of recommendation?

Some good stuff on MFAs above by Sponge Monkeys and the Doc. I'll add unsolicited advice. I'm doing a Creative Writing MA right now (we don't have MFAs here in the southern hemisphere). It's only one year but otherwise I think it's similar-ish? It's possibly my favourite thing I've ever done. I also have a Real Career and I'm still working in it part-time while I study (and plan to return to properly once I'm done). If you could work part-time in your field to keep yourself in the game - bonus if its for your current employer - it could work out pretty good (you will also have no spare time and will not have time for even a single episode of anime, not even one). Note I don't know how things work in the States so this could be awful advice.

For recommendation letter, like Doc said just call the uni. Are you in a writing group with published authors or academics or both? I'm from a STEM world and that's how I got references.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Terrorforge posted:

Thunderdome isn't for everyone, there is a lot of pressure to write a story in a week, but it will keep you honest!

If that doesn't like it is for you there are a couple of alternatives:

1) Join a writer circle that meets up X days, and commit to bringing something
2) Gameify writing, look at sites like 4thewords.com that sets writing goals, lets you defeat RPG monsters and gameifies the whole experience.
3) Commit to submitting a flash fiction (1,000 max words) to markets every month. You can use https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/ to find some markets.
4) Start a serial. I don't have much experience with this, but it's a weekly story that posted in bits. This could be a lot of work.
5) Join a small community of writers that do things like weekly/monthly writing competitions

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent advice and questions. Not ignoring any of it, just been a busy couple of days.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How do y'all refine character arcs and themes? I've now got 2 drafts of my novel under my belt and I feel really good about the overall structure and narrative. However, I've found that after all my writing, I have several different arcs for each character that are all relatively surface-level, as well as a pile of different themes I'm speaking to. Anyone have any advice or techniques on how to get more specific about what I'm trying to say and separate the wheat from the chaff?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

feedmyleg posted:

How do y'all refine character arcs and themes? I've now got 2 drafts of my novel under my belt and I feel really good about the overall structure and narrative. However, I've found that after all my writing, I have several different arcs for each character that are all relatively surface-level, as well as a pile of different themes I'm speaking to. Anyone have any advice or techniques on how to get more specific about what I'm trying to say and separate the wheat from the chaff?

An insight I had about that was to tie a character's story arc to the novel's story arc.

A story shows a character in need of a change and places them in some kind of crisis which forces a reaction, it tries to force a change. It could be a change for the better, it could be a change for the worse (or rarely it could show how the character hasn't changed at all, but that can be trickier). Both the story arc and your character's arc should more-or-less mirror the progress of the other and climax in the same place. The climax of the plot should reflect the ultimate expression of how your character has grown from the start of the story.

The neat thing is you can also do that in reverse too. If you know how your plot ends you can use that to figure out the starting point for the character's arc.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Exmond posted:

3) Commit to submitting a flash fiction (1,000 max words) to markets every month. You can use https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/ to find some markets.

I think I'll go for this one, with a side of getting goons to look at my things. I was planning on switching to a monthly-ish schedule anyway. The shorter format and clear deadline has been playing better with my adhd than previous attempts to just write a thing until it's finished, but the lack of time between first draft and final edit has left a few good ideas hopelessly unrefined.

Thanks a lot for making me aware of the Grinder, too. I've been wanting to start submitting things for a while, but I didn't know where to find a list of markets.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Terrorforge posted:

I think I'll go for this one, with a side of getting goons to look at my things. I was planning on switching to a monthly-ish schedule anyway. The shorter format and clear deadline has been playing better with my adhd than previous attempts to just write a thing until it's finished, but the lack of time between first draft and final edit has left a few good ideas hopelessly unrefined.

Thanks a lot for making me aware of the Grinder, too. I've been wanting to start submitting things for a while, but I didn't know where to find a list of markets.

Cool. Thunderdome does fit what you're looking for, so I'd suggest entering at least once - that also gets you access to all the stories in the insane archive, which has around 7 million words of flash fiction in it.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Cool. Thunderdome does fit what you're looking for, so I'd suggest entering at least once - that also gets you access to all the stories in the insane archive, which has around 7 million words of flash fiction in it.

Oh, I will. It isn't actually what I came looking for, which was some type of portfolio thing, but between Thunderdome and aiming to submit to actual publications I think my needs are met.

Speaking of portfolios, I've noticed publishing writing on the internet seems to fall into the extremes of free-for-all amateur hour or paid work published by reputable literary magazine, with nothing filling the space between the way say ArtStation does for visual artists. Is there no such thing as "ao3 but for original fiction" at all, or does something like that exist but it's terrible?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Go to newpages.com and see who's looking for submissions, there are a lot of e-journals and artsy/indie small presses out there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I'm in the querying stage of my novel. Other than the sub it facebook group what are some good links or fonts of knowledge that I can utilize? Thanks.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Shageletic posted:

So I'm in the querying stage of my novel. Other than the sub it facebook group what are some good links or fonts of knowledge that I can utilize? Thanks.

http://queryshark.blogspot.com should be your first spot if you haven't already gone there. It's an agent viciously tearing apart queries but then explaining how they can be made better, and she's been doing it for so long that there's a backlog of literally hundreds for you to study.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Naerasa posted:

http://queryshark.blogspot.com should be your first spot if you haven't already gone there. It's an agent viciously tearing apart queries but then explaining how they can be made better, and she's been doing it for so long that there's a backlog of literally hundreds for you to study.

Thanks!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I learned stuff at Worldcon, I guess.

I feel like I'm definitely at the "holy poo poo just query people with a manuscript" phase because yeah it wasn't an enormous amount. It was kinda fun tho.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Where is a good place to go or a polite way to ask people to take a look at a piece of writing for either advice or input.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

BigRed0427 posted:

Where is a good place to go or a polite way to ask people to take a look at a piece of writing for either advice or input.

You can post it as a new thread, though I would ask in this thread for people to look at it. Link it as a google doc with comments enabled, that's usually the best way people can give you feedback.

There is a SA writing discord that you could ask for a crit:
https://discord.gg/2374qJ5

There is a website that does crit trades. Can't recall it right now.

Exmond fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 30, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Exmond posted:

You can post it as a new thread, though I would ask in this thread for people to look at it. Link it as a google doc with comments enabled, that's usually the best way people can give you feedback.

https://discord.gg/qKFF28

Critique Circle and Scribophile both have crit trade systems, but you would need to invest a bit of time to read and crit others' work before someone can look at yours.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
A note about the discord: if you're going to join, please talk! Lurkers gain little and contribute nothing.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

BigRed0427 posted:

THE BIGGEST ANSWER. JUST GO TO A DISCORD OR SOMETHING. THIS FORUMS IS DYING. FLY FREE. MAKE YOUR OWN GROUP. IT'S FINE. I'M FINE.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

:siren: GET FEEDBACK :siren:

First a note about the word “critiques” — it’s not the same as criticism. It just means outside feedback, not necessarily negative feedback (although most honest feedback is going to include some negatives). I use the two terms interchangeably.

Where to get feedback on SomethingAwful.com

a) If you just need to know if a couple sentences make sense, go ahead and post it in this thread.

b) If you want feedback on something less than 1000 words, 1) critique something in Fiction Farm, 2) post your stuff in Fiction Farm, 3) post a link in this thread. Not sure how to critique? Read on, dear reader.

c) If you want feedback on something greater than 1000 words, 1) create a new thread, 2) post a link in this thread. If you have written something very long (say over 5k words), you will get more feedback if you post it in smaller chunks. Post Chapter One of your novel, get feedback, post Chapter Two (in the same thread). Keep in mind that this is a community, and you are likely to get more feedback if you are an active participant in the community. That means posting in this thread, Fiction Farm, and giving critiques to other people. The best way to get someone to actually critique your work is to trade critiques. I’ll scratch my back if you scratch mine, but in a good way, not like underhanded gangster deals (unless that’s what you’re into).

d) If you know you want feedback to improve your writing, but don’t really have any writing you want to share, try out Ye Olde Thunderdome, where pretty much every story gets a crit and if you are new, kind people will often give extra crits. More extra crits if you keep with it.

e) You can try asking in #readmorewritemore (irc.synirc.net), but I make no promises. Critiquing requires time and effort, and people are often weary of doing it for strangers who may never return the favor and may just ignore it all if they disagree (see note above about ~~community~~ ). Asking for a trade is likely to get you more responses.

:siren: No matter what do not post something you “just scribbled down off the top of your head” and ask for critiques. That is a garbage thing to do to other people. If you’re not willing to put any time into improving it, don’t ask other people to put time into improving it. Basic courtesy here. Ideally, you would wait at least one day between writing something and posting it. Read it (and probably edit it) during that time. Surely you do not actually need feedback on it right this very second.If you are freaked out by editing and don’t know what to do, still read it. You might notice some changes that would make it better, and boom, you are editing, good job. (You may also enjoy the editing section of the above post and/or asking questions about editing in this thread.) If you write something while high/drunk/whatever, do not post it until you have read it sober.

If you can’t even be bothered to read and think about what you just wrote a little bit, don’t ask us to do it. :siren:

Getting feedback elsewhere on the internet

There are other websites that work similarly to this forum, where you post something and other users will critique it. I do not use any other writing website, but here are some places I hear you can get crits:
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forum.php
http://sff.onlinewritingworkshop.com (has a “credits” system, where you have to critique others before being critiqued. It has an annual $49 fee, but it’s also produced some very successful authors, including Jim Butcher, Elizabeth Bear, and Rae Carson. It has a free month-long trial.)
http://www.critiquecircle.com (this one has a “credits” system, where you have to critique others, before being critiqued)
http://www.scribophile.com (another credit-based system)
http://critique.org/ (oldest critique group on the web, another credit system, and conducted exclusively in .txt format through a crazy email process, but maybe that is your thing!)

A frequent claim about those other sites is that they are all “hug boxes” where everyone will just tell everyone else they are great or whatever. I have no idea if it’s true. Maybe we’re just being smug. If anyone has experience with any of these, chime in.

Writing Groups

Another option is to get together with an online or in person critique group. Basically, you have a set group of people who critique each other’s work on a regular basis. Some benefits to working with a set group include motivation through peer-pressure, knowing the common strengths/weaknesses of the other members (valuable both for your critiques of their work, and evaluating their critiques of your work), and of course, life-long friendships.

These groups can be an excellent source of motivation, as long as everyone continues to participate seriously. In my experience, it helps to have at least one super-reliable person who will give you the “I’m not mad at you, son, just very disappointed,” look if you gently caress up. Or maybe actually be mad, and be willing to kick people out if they aren’t pulling their weight. If everyone is kind of slacking off on a regular basis, the group will probably fall apart. Yes, this one is based on personal experience (we can’t live without you, Systran :( ).

Working with the same people means you get to know their writing and their critiquing styles. Maybe one writer in your group is great with plots, but isn’t so great with dialogue, so you can pay a little extra attention to that. Maybe one writer in your group never likes your dialogue, but no one else has a problem with it, so you don’t take it super-seriously.

Will you actually become life-long friends with your group? Who knows, but Brandon Sanderson is still working with people he met in his critique group in college, so maybe. On the other hand, I’m not sure if those people are his friends or not.

This article describes some general considerations when looking for an online critique group (it applies to in-person, too). The most important part (in my opinion) discusses how to know if a crit group is right or wrong for you:

Finding Critique Groups

In person:
If you already know local authors, they might be able to refer you to in-person groups (or invite you to theirs). If not, your best bet for finding in-person critique groups is probably a google search:

https://www.google.com/search?&q=San+Francisco+Writing+Groups

Online:

Feel free to post in this thread looking for people who want to make a writing group. Please describe what kind of work you would be open to critiquing, planned frequency of meeting, method of exchange/discussion, etc. Don’t worry if you don’t know all of that. You’ll probably want to discuss it with other members of the group anyway. Just something more detailed than “hey let’s do a group.”

Running your own group:
1) You should really be that super-dedicated person if you’re gonna start the group
2) Have set times and frequencies to meet
3) Have set expectations for how much people are going to submit
4) Have set expectations for how extensive/detailed the critiques should be
5) We used a combination of google groups, google docs, and google chat to share and critique works. It worked well, and that’s what I would use again. There are also plenty of places online where you can set up your own forum for free, and that could also work.

Many of the forums linked above also have places to find set writing groups. Here are a few places that focus more on groups:
http://www.ladieswhocritique.com (women only, matches you with a single critique partner, not a group)
https://www.inkedvoices.com (both a place to find groups, and a platform for exchanging and critiquing work. This is a pay service.)

I’m just finding these on google, so again if anyone has used them (or any others), please let us know your experience.

When joining a group, in person or online, read the description of the groupscarefully, and make sure it sounds like what you want. For example, do not try to join a group focused on poetry if you are writing paranormal romance. If you want to work with a small group of people consistently, you might be wary of a drop-in group. On the other hand, don’t get discouraged and give-up if none sound perfect. Give things a try, you might find something you like.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

THE BIGGEST ANSWER. JUST GO TO A DISCORD OR SOMETHING. THIS FORUMS IS DYING. FLY FREE. MAKE YOUR OWN GROUP. IT'S FINE. I'M FINE.

A BUNCH OF WORDS

TLDR?

Is the TLDR read more write more?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Exmond posted:

TLDR?

The tldr is read the op, I believe

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

sebmojo posted:

The tldr is read the op, I believe

op is too long, didn't read

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Exmond posted:

https://discord.gg/qKFF28

Is this not open? It says invalid or private.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Exmond posted:

TLDR?

It's a stamp they only break out when goons submit work: "Thunderdome Loser, Do not Read."

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

After The War posted:

It's a stamp they only break out when goons submit work: "Thunderdome Loser, Do not Read."

This made me laugh

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

feedmyleg posted:

Is this not open? It says invalid or private.

Discord is silly and most invites are one day. Here is a permanent link:

https://discord.gg/2374qJ5

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I recently found myself with a lot of time on my hands so I thought I'd try and write a novel. To my surprise I've actually managed to write something but I'd like some tips on editing if you have any? Thank you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bessantj posted:

I recently found myself with a lot of time on my hands so I thought I'd try and write a novel. To my surprise I've actually managed to write something but I'd like some tips on editing if you have any? Thank you.

check the op, docklock almost certainly has some wise words in there, but it depends on the text what it needs.

post a chunk (~500 words?) and i'll line by line it and talk about why I made decisions.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

sebmojo posted:

check the op, docklock almost certainly has some wise words in there, but it depends on the text what it needs.

post a chunk (~500 words?) and i'll line by line it and talk about why I made decisions.

I really should read the OP, thanks. I'll post the first two paragraphs I've never written anything before and I was lousy at English in school so if you get too frustrated half way through I'll understand.

quote:

The wind howled loudly as it whipped through the muddy trench strangled between the sides covered with rotting wooden slats. Adam looked up at the sky, it was overcast but didn’t look like it was going to rain, he made his way down the trench avoiding the puddles of water as he did so, and his five foot nine frame cut a solitary figure. He felt as if he was in a familiar place but something was different, something was wrong. He had served with the Welsh regiment during the Great War but that was over now wasn’t it? He felt sure that they’d had a message more than a month ago that the fighting was to cease and they could all return home, that peace had finally prevailed over the madness. He was finding it difficult to think, his head felt heavy as if his brain was sitting in a thick soup. He looked around trying to find some sort of landmark within the trench to tell him where he was, though he’d seen a few trenches over the years he had recognized that they all had their own character that marked them out as different. He remembered one trench in France that had a large piece of shrapnel imbedded in it right next to the doorway to the sleeping quarters, nobody had moved it because it was thought lucky, two or three inches to the right and it would have killed everyone sleeping within the quarters.

Adam heard three very quick footsteps as if someone was running down the trench, away from him. He called out to them but was given no reply so he walked quickly in the direction he thought the footsteps came from. As he got to a corner of the trench he slowed wary of what could be around the corner, in truth he had never met an enemy combatant in a trench, most of the time they, like him, preferred to stay in their own trenches, throwing shells at their targets rather than getting out and making their way slowly across no man’s land as it was called. Adam wiped his blonde hair from his eyes as he made it to the corner he hesitated for a second and then looked around it and found he was looking at the same part of the trench that he had just walked down. He looked back to confirm that it was the same but as he looked behind him he saw something different, the trench was dry, the wood new and solid. Adam turned around and looked back down the new trench that lay before him, wondering what was going on, he knew that this was different but how is that possible. As he took a step towards the new trench he felt a hand tap him on the shoulder, startled he turned round, falling to the ground as he did so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The wind howled loudly cut adverbs unless they're vital [/i]as it whipped through the muddy trench strangled this verb doesn't make any sense between the sides covered with rotting wooden slats. Adam looked up at the sky, it was overcast but didn’t look like it was going to rain don't have things not happening, he made his way this is a weak verb down the trench avoiding the puddles of water as he did so, clunky phrasing and his five foot nine frame cut a solitary figure. you're trying to get some description, but this just means 'he was alone' which we know He felt as if he was in a familiar place but something was different, something was wrong. this is interesting, try and convey it with description of the environment He had served with the Welsh regiment during the Great War but that was over now wasn’t it? He felt sure that they’d had a message more than a month ago that the fighting was to cease and they could all return home, that peace had finally prevailed over the madness repetition. He was finding it difficult to think, his head felt heavy as if his brain was sitting in a thick soup. He looked around trying to find some sort of landmark. within the trench to tell him where he was, though he’d seen a few trenches over the years he had recognized that they all had their own character that marked them out as different. He remembered one trench in France that had a large piece of shrapnel iembedded in it right next to the doorway to the sleeping quarters, nobody had moved it because it was thought lucky, two or three inches to the right and it would have killed everyone sleeping within the quarters. shrapnel is a piece of metal, not a bomb - change this to 'killed [briefly sketched human being]'

Adam heard three very quick footsteps as if someone was running down the trench, away from him. He called out to them but was given no heard no reply. so break up sentences when you're conveying deliberate action He walked quickly in the direction he thought the footsteps came from. As he got to a corner of the trench he slowed, comma wary of what could be around the corner.

In truth he had never met an enemy combatant in a trench, most of the time they, like him, preferred to stay in their own trenches, throwing shells at their targets rather than getting out and making their way slowly across no man’s land as it was called. Adam wiped his blonde hair from his eyes as he made it to the corner. new para

he hesitated for a second and then looked around it. new sentence and found he was looking at the same part of the trench that he had just walked down. He looked back to confirm that it was the same but as he looked behind him he saw something different, the trench was dry, the wood new and solid. Adam turned around and looked back down the new trench that lay before him, wondering what was going on, he knew that this was different but how is that possible. this is where i would put an arresting image to anchor the weird change, something incongruous like a shiny new entrenching tool or something. As he took a step towards the new trench he felt a hand tap him on the shoulder. , startled He turned weak verb round, falling to the ground as he did so. this is also weak - don't have complicated grammatical constructions when intense physical things are happening, instead use strong verbs and simple constructions.

this is actually p decent, and I'm interested in what happens next, but you do a lot of typical new writer flimflam - i recommend a few weeks of thunderdome to knock that out of you. Always think about how the rhythm of what you're writing works with the feeling you're trying to create, kill unnecessary words, create character through images of physical things.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wow thank you very much, this is a huge help. As I said I know next to nothing about writing a story and even less about writing a good one so thanks for the education. I've read the OP and it's full of good advice and I've bought a copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I could use a bit of feedback on a style I'm considering using for a new story. I see a lot of fiction that's set in a fantastic/weird world regularly interject big, detailed worldbuilding paragraphs between the action in the form of:

quote:

Bob stepped into his cubicle and nearly collapsed in his office chair, sighing at the prospect of enduring another tedious day of being the lowest-ranking grunt in the accountant's pool.

"Hey buddy, you don't look so hot," graveled Tom from the next cubicle over.

Tom was a troll- trolls are big green monsters. Insert 3-5 sentences describing what Tom is like and making it obvious that trolls are perfectly normal things to see in an office.

I hate when most stories do this; it tends to be jarring and clunky, and especially early in the story it futzes with the pacing- if this is the first chapter I don't care about Tom, or trolls, or the setting; I'm waiting for Bob the D&D Accountant to do something that invests me in the character and makes me care about what happens next.

So I'm considering trying to limit myself to natural-sounding first-person observations; Bob grew up in a world where fantasy creatures were normal, so he might occasionally notice Tom's rough, pebbly green skin or observe that everyone in the office flinches and covers their ears when he laughs or yells, but he's never going to sit down and say "Here is what's happening and how it fits into the setting". My thought is that as long as the reader doesn't need the background details, all they should really get is information necessary to picture the scene and empathize with Bob's reactions or behavior.

That having been said, <action/dialogue beat> <descriptive beat> is such a common structural trope in fantasy and fiction that I assume it's there because it works- am I setting myself up to frustrate readers if I go for the minimalist approach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Go minimalist, absolutely. Don't do this:

quote:

The telephone rang.

Jason Wilkins roused himself out of his dough-and-flour-addled stupor, and gazed at the ringing noise emanating from the receiver. He was tall, even for an American, this despite his father's very average height and his mother's petite build. Some had suggested -- in hushed tones and never to his face, of course -- that it was because his mother had long ago taken an ... interest in the very tall mailman who'd graced their neighborhood mail delivery route for so many years. Mail delivery was one of those necessary evils of modern American life; a citizen could send his friends and colleagues e-mail faxes that arrived in the blink of an eye, but there was always the reactionary old contingent who'd never wanted to bother with these "modern contraptions" who insisted on writing letters on paper and sending them through the antiquated network of delivery trucks and post offices, and so long as this contingent existed the mail would also have to exist.

The telephone rang again. Jason wanted to groan and roll his eyes, but he suppressed this urge and put on the mask of outward neutrality expected of a Pizza Maker Second Class. He'd graduated from the Pizza Making Academy with high honors, learning all the nuances of flavor balance, oven management, and paddle flipping -- not to mention the highly prized art of crust spinning -- that went into any Pizza Maker in the service. But he'd also learned the importance of Customer relations, and of the need to project a combined air of confidence and deportment whenever he answered the phone.