Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

Caroline in the City and MAYBE Just Shoot Me, I thought, used to be somewhat popular in syndication in the 00s. Maybe it was just WGN, though, which seemed to have an assortment of syndicated shows I scarcely remember any other station airing. It could have been they had some sort of exclusivity to them or some Tribune Entertainment connection with the production. I'm not sure.

Oh, I remember Just Shoot Me being in syndication big time around 2003, and really don't remember it past then. Of course I also remember liking it, but I'm also a David Spade fan.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Crossing Jordan. I don't think I've heard any one really talk about that show in nearly 10 years despite having a fairly long run and known actors in it.
(edit: Okay, Crossing Jordan was a post-90s series. I literally thought it was from the 90s. I didn't even think it ran as far as 2007.)

Up until I double checked on Wikipedia, I had thought Crossing Jordan was a psychic CSI knock off, but no, it was just a CSI bandwagon about a medical examiner :tootzzz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Double post, but I looked up the network schedule for the '98-'99 season, and holy poo poo that is one turbulent year for broadcast TV:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998%E2%80%9399_United_States_network_television_schedule

EDIT:
WEll, going back a few years, seems like the turblence of a million and one series started around 1994 :shrug:

Anyway, Crossing Jordan knocked loose a memory that I had a friend of a friend who was obsessed with a show called Profiler, that I never really liked, although I probably only watched the crossover episodes with The Pretender

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Sep 7, 2018

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Those guys felt like a late addition that became all powerful out of nowhere. I'm talking about the earlier seasons I guess.

I think you'd have a better argument with the way Hank's partner was treated. Dude was an afterthought and his death was comically understated.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
NewsRadio is the only sitcom deserving of praise next to Seinfeld.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dillbag posted:

Agreed, but it sucks in retrospect knowing that a bunch of the cast hated Andy Dick even when they were filming.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dillbag posted:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

Agreed, but it sucks in retrospect knowing that a bunch of the cast hated Andy Dick even when they were filming.

Whenever this comes to mind I just think about the MMA episode where Joe Rogan judo flips Dick in the ring. It definitely looked like Rogan gave him a little extra hip on purpose.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Wasn't Veronica's Closet the one where they would come back from an ad break and pan around the cover of the magazine, landing on different article titles? For some reason that gimmick stuck in my mind enough that I have some vague recollection of the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moon Slayer posted:

Wasn't Veronica's Closet the one where they would come back from an ad break and pan around the cover of the magazine, landing on different article titles? For some reason that gimmick stuck in my mind enough that I have some vague recollection of the show.

I'm pretty sure that was actually Just Shoot Me as that was about a magazine

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh right.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

All I remember about Suddenly Susan was Brooke Shields was some magazine journalist and that it also had Judd Nelson, Nestor Carbonell, and Kathy Griffin. Oh, and that there was a guy on there who killed himself irl so they worked that into the plot of one episode.

I think the only time this show got a second thought from anybody was the really racist as they kept airing during the summer olympics. A stunt double in a karate gi flipped around a mat and then Brooke Shields squinted her eyes, said “ah so” and bowed as a gong sounded.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Caroline in the City was the first time I saw someone in the American TV to acknowledge my home country. The guy who went to play Monk said something to the degree "WTF that corpse in the coffin is Finnish!" and someone else responded "He sure is."

Not exactly an interesting fact, but still.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know that Helsinki is the capital of Finland and not Switzerland or Sweden thanks to Sports Night.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Mu Zeta posted:

I know that Helsinki is the capital of Finland and not Switzerland or Sweden thanks to Sports Night.

:hfive: I quoted Sports Night yesterday in the thread about hating and/or helping homeless people. I don’t care what anybody says, that was a great show.

e: Also it’s pretty (late) ‘90s! I caught as many late night Comedy Central (I think?) reruns as I possibly could.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Eddie Whitson posted:

You're right about them being briefly concurrent but the original run of KitH was from 1988 to April 1995 while NewsRadio started in March 1995. It was on HBO and then CBS late night for the last two years and then was rerun on Comedy Central for a bit.

I was thinking Stephen Root and Koth, you're right

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyway, Crossing Jordan knocked loose a memory that I had a friend of a friend who was obsessed with a show called Profiler, that I never really liked, although I probably only watched the crossover episodes with The Pretender

The Pretender was loving Good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Pretender was loving Good.

That show had only one plot with the details being filled in Mad Libs style week after week but somehow it worked. Also Miss Parker was smoking hot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Pretender turned into some seriously sadistic poo poo towards the end, though.

Some guys borrows a pen off Jarod and doesn't give it back, so he destroys his credit rating and dissolves all his pets in acid kind of thing.

But that's a thing with a lot of TV and movies, justice is drat near always confused with revenge.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is The Pretender streaming anywhere? It sounds pretty good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did anyone else have to listen to cop bands a lot in the 90s? I remember at least 3 times during Jr high and high school being subjected to cops playing electric slide in a gym.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Good god that sounds almost worse than doing two weeks of square dancing every year in elementary school gym class.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That show had only one plot with the details being filled in Mad Libs style week after week but somehow it worked. Also Miss Parker was smoking hot.

:hmmyes: Agreed on both parts.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Did anyone else play My Heart Will Go On on recorder in Elementary School?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

eminkey2003 posted:

No, because I was in high school when Titanic came out.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

eminkey2003 posted:

I did! I also can (maybe?) still play like the first 5 notes on penny whistle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

eminkey2003 posted:

No because My Heart Will Go On came out the year we learned how to play the hell instrument.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't learn it on recorder but we sang it in the school choir.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Belly "Feed the Trees" song/music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTtdtURXKqc

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Frank Thomas baseball card.
THe one where he's giving someone the finger.

https://www.amazon.com/Upper-Frank-Thomas-Chicago-White/dp/B00LSBB17Q

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Good god that sounds almost worse than doing two weeks of square dancing every year in elementary school gym class.

There were 2, the Rock Cops and Blue Thunder. Both were pretty terrible, and being driven to another school to listen to them and some lame 90s Don't Do Drugs Or You'll End Up being 40 and working at a bad job crap was never fun.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

twistedmentat posted:

Did anyone else have to listen to cop bands a lot in the 90s? I remember at least 3 times during Jr high and high school being subjected to cops playing electric slide in a gym.
No, but I did have to listen to bands that did rewrote the lyrics of contemporary hip-hop songs to be about Jesus, such as "Christ, Christ, Baby" and "God is 2 Legit 2 Quit"

Not even sure how that poo poo was legal.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
My grade school made us dance the macarena every morning. Also exercising to the proclaimers for exercise. The 90s sucked.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Peeny Cheez posted:

No, but I did have to listen to bands that did rewrote the lyrics of contemporary hip-hop songs to be about Jesus, such as "Christ, Christ, Baby" and "God is 2 Legit 2 Quit"

Not even sure how that poo poo was legal.

Parody laws apply, same as Weird Al.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Pretend I posted the New Thang lipsync video, that's p. 90s (mobile bungs up YouTube links)

https://youtu.be/_s0DYAv5FOo

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

jojoinnit posted:

Once you make money off of your parody it can get gray (especially if you don't perform and record the musical tracks). Weird Al pays royalties to the composers and gets artist permission for all of his tracks (even though he does re-record the musical tracks and writes his own lyrics) to keep everything completely in the clear, because he is awesome and not a thief.

Often unlicensed knockoffs and cheap karaoke discs feature lovely versions of the composition with slight changes juuuuust to be sure.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

jojoinnit posted:

I meant that a Christian Rap concert was mandatory in a public school.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Peeny Cheez posted:

In my school they dragooned all the kids into attending mandatory meetings where they teach you to guilt your friends and family into lovely magazine subscriptions and the prize for selling them was a $2 flashlight.

There was another mandatory meeting for selling candy boxes of M&Ms in the same way. Not just individual packets of candy, but large 24-pack boxes of them.

It's all worth it to win these things though

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Sep 10, 2018

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
School fund raisers were such bullshit. The top prize was always either a Huffy BMX bike or a GPX brand 13" TV. Either of which was worth $100, tops. I never knew anyone who got one of those. Everyone just got one of those sticky feet poof ball things. Or maybe a lovely plastic slinky.

I ask myself now, who actually got the money from all those candy bars and magazines we all sold? My school was poor as poo poo. We still had TRS-80 computers in the mid 90's.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My high school managed to get those colorful Apple iMacs for the library in the late 90s but literally nobody used them because we didn't have internet access so there was nothing to do on them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What, Nanosaur wasn't good enough for you? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Peeny Cheez posted:

Ah gotcha. That is weird considering all I hear about Americans schools is that they're apparently Godless despite being full of Christians.