Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pushpins work pretty well.

e: my own question. I need to replace the front motor mount on my car. The OEM is $90, while the other options on Rockauto are around $30-40. Of these brands, which is the least terrible? Anchor, Pioneer, SKP, or Westar?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tactlessbastard posted:

Stupid question:

What's the best looking Camry?

I'd go with 99.

I'd say the XV20 is the best looking older Camry.

I'm thinking that I kinda want to get one as a reliable second car so that I can do repairs and maintenance without the pressure of having to get it done in a day or two. Didn't even know they existed in Sweden until I saw one on the road. A bit rare (story of my life).
Preferably the V6. While the XV20 has decent safety (4 stars in Euro NCAP), the XV30 is better in every way when it comes to safety. Only trouble is that I've read that Toyota screwed up with the 2.4L engine and that it's been riddled with problems. Head bolts stripping and on later models the oil consumption went through the roof (I guess because they upped the compression and didn't change enough for it to handle it).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

Pushpins work pretty well.

e: my own question. I need to replace the front motor mount on my car. The OEM is $90, while the other options on Rockauto are around $30-40. Of these brands, which is the least terrible? Anchor, Pioneer, SKP, or Westar?

Anchor is full on poo poo so don't waste your time there.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Should you turn your AC off when you turn your car off? Does it make it harder for the car to startup with the AC having been left on?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dennis McClaren posted:

Should you turn your AC off when you turn your car off? Does it make it harder for the car to startup with the AC having been left on?

No. The AC compressor has a clutch that lets it disengage. It will engage again after the car is started.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'd say the XV20 is the best looking older Camry.

I'm thinking that I kinda want to get one as a reliable second car so that I can do repairs and maintenance without the pressure of having to get it done in a day or two. Didn't even know they existed in Sweden until I saw one on the road. A bit rare (story of my life).
Preferably the V6. While the XV20 has decent safety (4 stars in Euro NCAP), the XV30 is better in every way when it comes to safety. Only trouble is that I've read that Toyota screwed up with the 2.4L engine and that it's been riddled with problems. Head bolts stripping and on later models the oil consumption went through the roof (I guess because they upped the compression and didn't change enough for it to handle it).

I really like Solara for some reason, even though it's weirdly shaped and rarely ever came with manual transmissions

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dennis McClaren posted:

I always do but I can't say I have a great reason. Something about less load on the engine while its starting.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Coming back with a stupid question about the '09 Elantra.

There's a squeak in the rear wheels whenever the parking brake is engaged and I sit in the driver's seat. I am not a lard rear end. But the rear wheels squeak whenever I sit down in, and exit, my Elantra. And it's only when the e-brake is on, so it isn't my struts.. What's the safest lube that I can use to slather on the parking brake cable's hook to stop the squeaking? I have lithium grease spray, lithium grease tube, and Ultra Slick Multi-purpose synthetic grease. I just don't want to mess it up and cause the metal linkage to slip by using the wrong lube. I've circled the problem area:

I sprayed the poo poo out of it with brake cleaner, but that only seems to have partially solved the squeaking.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 6, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I just discovered that a thing I've been imagining since grad-school already exists and is called a "Series Hybrid". I've always wanted an electric car with a tuned generator to extend the range without wasting a bunch of energy on fiddly mechanical transmission bits. Does anyone actually make these and/or have plans to make these? From my extremely poor attempt at research it looks like it is mostly a thing in bigger industrial applications.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Like these...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_extender_(vehicle)#Automotive

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Volt and i3 spring to mind

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Deteriorata posted:

No. The AC compressor has a clutch that lets it disengage. It will engage again after the car is started.

You can also notice with most vehicles on a hot day if you floor it with the A/C cranked you'll feel the air coming out of the vents immediately start to warm up. That's because when you go WOT the A/C clutch also disengages to allow the engine to put as much power as possible to the wheels.

I'm sure there are some vehicles out there that are missing one or both of these features either due to cheapness in design or breakage over the years, but as a general rule you shouldn't worry about trying to help the car by turning it off in normal circumstances.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Doesn’t the starting circuit bypass all other demand? Otherwise why would the radio stop and windows stop moving when I crank?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Corla Plankun posted:

I just discovered that a thing I've been imagining since grad-school already exists and is called a "Series Hybrid". I've always wanted an electric car with a tuned generator to extend the range without wasting a bunch of energy on fiddly mechanical transmission bits. Does anyone actually make these and/or have plans to make these? From my extremely poor attempt at research it looks like it is mostly a thing in bigger industrial applications.

The Fisker Karma is one of the cars closest to this idea. It's got electric motors to drive it. It goes 32 miles on battery only. It has a 2.0L 4 cylinder ecotec that's hooked up to a generator only. There's no connection to the wheels at all. Unfortunately it only gets 20mpg in gas-only mode.

Toyota built a prototype generator trailer for the Rav4 EV called the Rav Long Ranger. The trailer had a 0.5L two cylinder motorcycle engine that ran at 7,000 rpm and gave a 60amp output. It could maintain 60-80mph with no battery drain at 30-35mpg on premium.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Getting quoted $1700 for an AC compressor and receiver/dryer/whatever? haven't looked at it yet on an 04 Rav4. Is this at all reasonable and can I do this DIY without spending several times $1700?

edit: same shop wanted 500 for 2x pads and rotors lol

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 6, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

To add to this, I would expect the vast majority of cars to only have their HVAC systems powered when the key is in run, not start. So the engine is already running by the time the HVAC control gets any electricity and even could engage the relay to trigger the clutch coil.

shovelbum posted:

Getting quoted $1700 for an AC compressor and receiver/dryer/whatever? haven't looked at it yet on an 04 Rav4. Is this at all reasonable and can I do this DIY without spending several times $1700?

Rockauto has full compressor/component kits for around $200 plus shipping, and even if you buy yourself a gauge set and vacuum pump outright instead of borrowing them from Autozone, you're still coming in at least $1300 ahead of a shop. If the labor to get at those parts isn't a complete and total motherfucker I'd do it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

To add to this, I would expect the vast majority of cars to only have their HVAC systems powered when the key is in run, not start. So the engine is already running by the time the HVAC control gets any electricity and even could engage the relay to trigger the clutch coil.

Rockauto has full compressor/component kits for around $200 plus shipping, and even if you buy yourself a gauge set and vacuum pump outright instead of borrowing them from Autozone, you're still coming in at least $1300 ahead of a shop. If the labor to get at those parts isn't a complete and total motherfucker I'd do it.

Need a recovery setup too right, that's where the cost is in HVAC crap iirc from buying poo poo for work, I don't even know what I'd do with a barely-full recovery cylinder tbqh

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

0toShifty posted:

Toyota built a prototype generator trailer for the Rav4 EV called the Rav Long Ranger. The trailer had a 0.5L two cylinder motorcycle engine that ran at 7,000 rpm and gave a 60amp output. It could maintain 60-80mph with no battery drain at 30-35mpg on premium.

Hell yes! This is insanely my poo poo, thanks for the information.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shovelbum posted:

Need a recovery setup too right, that's where the cost is in HVAC crap iirc from buying poo poo for work, I don't even know what I'd do with a barely-full recovery cylinder tbqh

Worst case, pay a shop to recover the refrigerant.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had actually been wondering about that too, thanks. I can’t find the particular problem with my wife’s AC in the maintenance records, so I’ll have to call the shop. If it’s the compressor, though, I think I’ll call my shade tree (actually has a home shop) mechanic uncle and see if he’ll do it for a lot cheaper if I buy the parts. I just don’t want to ever touch the AC system myself, refrigerant burns scare me.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had actually been wondering about that too, thanks. I can’t find the particular problem with my wife’s AC in the maintenance records, so I’ll have to call the shop. If it’s the compressor, though, I think I’ll call my shade tree (actually has a home shop) mechanic uncle and see if he’ll do it for a lot cheaper if I buy the parts. I just don’t want to ever touch the AC system myself, refrigerant burns scare me.

Refrigerant isn't bad, it's probably one of the safer fluids you will ever deal with in industry, but it's the regulation that makes it a pain imo

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

GF's 2007 Peugeot 307 hatchback, 1.6L auto. After braking sharply, there's a fuel smell for a few seconds after which it dissipates. She took it to a trusted shop over the weekend on an unrelated issue but forgot to mention the fuel smell, and they looked over the whole car for her but didn't find or change anything that addresses the issue, so it's nothing that is immediately obvious. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
If it only happens when the tank is over 3/4 full then my guess is the tank gasket for sender/pump. It usually doesn't get wet and it dry rots, when some liquid fuel splashes on it you can often smell it straight away.

However if it happens even when the fuel tank is lower than half then that can't explain it, so maybe something else like a filler or breather hose?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

melon cat posted:

There's a squeak in the rear wheels whenever the parking brake is engaged and I sit in the driver's seat. I am not a lard rear end. But the rear wheels squeak whenever I sit down in, and exit, my Elantra. And it's only when the e-brake is on, so it isn't my struts.. What's the safest lube that I can use to slather on the parking brake cable's hook to stop the squeaking? I have lithium grease spray, lithium grease tube, and Ultra Slick Multi-purpose synthetic grease. I just don't want to mess it up and cause the metal linkage to slip by using the wrong lube. I've circled the problem area:

I sprayed the poo poo out of it with brake cleaner, but that only seems to have partially solved the squeaking.

If that is whats actually causing the squeak, it may be a bit of a crap shoot. You can try some different poo poo and see what happens, how long it lasts and all that.
Try some of this poo poo though:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/jig-a-loo-graphite-extreme-lubricant-0381502p.html#srp

Its dry and won't pick up road grit and all that poo poo which might help it last a bit longer.

10dishOkiku
Jul 28, 2010

7...8...9...9...9...10!
Hello, aIl!

Someone from the Ask/Tell small questions thread recommended I post my question here .

Car (my first): 2002 Chevy Tahoe LX, 5.3L engine, 4WD. Preowned, 180,000 miles.

Question: What is a good place to look for advice, ideas, and general help on modding/reuphosltering/upgrading a beater car as a project? (I've looked through a few threads in the forum, but I couldn't see a mod/upgrade your car). I'm more looking for interior modifications than engine ones, mostly because I am new at car ownership and I don't see a reason to mess with the engine right now.

I'm looking to use the Tahoe to travel across the continent (Alaska to the Midwest via Canada) in a little less than a year, and would like to try and remodel the insides so I could comfortably sleep in the car if possible. I'm trying to figure out costs (buying a used pop-up trailer vs modding the car vs hotels) to see if modding would be an achievable goal for a newbie like me.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Oh hi.

My 2012 Subaru Outback went through 3 low beam light bulbs in <6 months and I suspect that something is up. I was very careful to not touch the bulbs as I installed them. An ignorant inspection showed condensation on the inside of the headlights, so I am suspecting that that contributed? If so, (1) how do I clean this up and (2) how do I keep it dry in there?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

melon cat posted:

I love the tube lithium personally. Slather it on, that’s not the part that keeps it locked.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

10dishOkiku posted:

Hello, aIl!

Someone from the Ask/Tell small questions thread recommended I post my question here .

Question: What is a good place to look for advice, ideas, and general help on modding/reuphosltering/upgrading a beater car as a project? (I've looked through a few threads in the forum, but I couldn't see a mod/upgrade your car). I'm more looking for interior modifications than engine ones, mostly because I am new at car ownership and I don't see a reason to mess with the engine right now.

I'm looking to use the Tahoe to travel across the continent (Alaska to the Midwest via Canada) in a little less than a year, and would like to try and remodel the insides so I could comfortably sleep in the car if possible. I'm trying to figure out costs (buying a used pop-up trailer vs modding the car vs hotels) to see if modding would be an achievable goal for a newbie like me.

Check out expedition portal and their forums.

10dishOkiku
Jul 28, 2010

7...8...9...9...9...10!
Will do! Thank you!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

Stop taking advice from grandpa on modern cars. This isn't and hasn't been an issue for decades. You're talking about a "problem" that was barely a problem back in the days of aftermarket and dealer-installed AC in the 80s.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

10dishOkiku posted:

I'm more looking for interior modifications than engine ones, mostly because I am new at car ownership and I don't see a reason to mess with the engine right now.

Just FYI, if you ever do get the bug, that 5.3 is in the LS engine family, which means you have literally the widest possible selection of aftermarket parts. Anything you could think of to do to the engine, there is a kit for it, tailored to your specific truck, for a fairly reasonable price.

E: Hell, the GMT800 truck platform might be more popular than the vettes/camaros most people think of for LS motors. Oooh, and that's the iron block version. Slap the biggest blower in there you can find. :getin:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 7, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wolrah posted:

You can also notice with most vehicles on a hot day if you floor it with the A/C cranked you'll feel the air coming out of the vents immediately start to warm up. That's because when you go WOT the A/C clutch also disengages to allow the engine to put as much power as possible to the wheels.

I'm sure there are some vehicles out there that are missing one or both of these features either due to cheapness in design or breakage over the years, but as a general rule you shouldn't worry about trying to help the car by turning it off in normal circumstances.

A lot of cars with variable displacement compressors don't do this (GM's economy cars come to mind), and a lot of cars have gone to variable displacement compressors.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

refrigerant burns scare me.

Pay attention to what you're doing, don't huff the refrigerant, and you won't have an issue with that even if something blows up.

I've had a gauge hose decide it didn't like its crimp fitting and start spraying (high side with the car running), and I was able to get it disconnected without frostbite/burns (I did wad up a shop rag to grab the fitting, also shut the car off first to bring the pressure down a bit). Made a mess all over the engine bay and front bumper from the PAG oil though.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Anchor is full on poo poo so don't waste your time there.

Thanks, I knew at least one of the brands were lambasted on these here forums as being garbage, but couldn't remember which.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

STR posted:

A lot of cars with variable displacement compressors don't do this (GM's economy cars come to mind), and a lot of cars have gone to variable displacement compressors.

I did not know this, TIL. Aren't there also a lot of vehicles that are switching belt-driven accessories to electric as well and just upgrading the alternator? Between start-stop systems and PHEVs you can't really count on the ICE running all the time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

2005 Ford Ranger (tan). Sometimes (not every time, maybe 30%) as I'm stopping, on the final stretch from like 3 mph to 0 mph, the following happens:

• Pedal feels "weird" (like it gives a little jump and then seems firmer)
  • I hear a quiet noise from the front that's sort of a cross between a groan and a creak.
  • Braking power is down
  • Steering wheel jerks a little

I don't drive much (work from home) so I tend to notice it while driving, then forget about it again after I get home. It brakes perfectly at every speed except this last bit when coming to a final stop.

Thoughts?

Followup: it was the wheel bearing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Does the Honda "econ" button do anything at all on a stickshift car? (Especially if you don't happen to be running the air conditioner?)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Powered Descent posted:

Does the Honda "econ" button do anything at all on a stickshift car? (Especially if you don't happen to be running the air conditioner?)

quote:

How Does Honda ECON Button Work ?

Honda ECON Button works by changing how your throttle response, cruise control, air condition and transmission works.

The throttle response is affected in the middle range. The beginning and end range of the throttle response is not effected. Therefore the difference will be felt at highway speeds. The gas pedal will feel a little softer reducing acceleration but gaining better gas milage.
While in cruise control with the ECON button on the transmission wont shift down as quickly. Therefore while driving up a hill in cruise control the vehicle may decrease in speed until the vehicle reaches the crest of thill in order to save gas.
The ECON button also effects the air conditioner by turning the compressor on and of more frequently which will save fuel. The down fall is that the vehicle will take much longer too cool down on a hot humid day.
Last but not least the transmission changes the shift points in order to be more fuel efficient while in ECON Mode.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Honestly I prefer my CR-V in econ mode. The throttle tip in and shift patterns in "normal mode" are cranked way up to make it feel more powerful than it really is.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Oh hi.

My 2012 Subaru Outback went through 3 low beam light bulbs in <6 months and I suspect that something is up. I was very careful to not touch the bulbs as I installed them. An ignorant inspection showed condensation on the inside of the headlights, so I am suspecting that that contributed? If so, (1) how do I clean this up and (2) how do I keep it dry in there?

Help.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What bulbs were you using?

If the cause of the bulbs burning out IS the condensation, then you might have to just replace the light assembly. I don't know about your car. Some lights, like the one on my old Mazda were easy to replace, like 3 or four bolts and it practically falls out. My Corolla on the otherhand, I have to take the bumper and a bunch of other poo poo off to get them bitches out.

You might have success with dumping a bunch of glue/silicone caulking around the seam where the clear lens meets up with the reflector assembly. That is most likely where the leak is.
That might seal it off.

How to get rid of the condensation is a different story. If you can remove the light assembly, you could leave it sitting in the sun for a while? My lights have two bulbs. I'd probably remove both bulbs, and ram a shop vac hose up against one, and let it suck air in one hole and out the other, through the vac.

It seems like the sort of wacky thing that might work. Assuming the day isn't like 200000% humidity or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

What bulbs were you using?

If the cause of the bulbs burning out IS the condensation, then you might have to just replace the light assembly. I don't know about your car. Some lights, like the one on my old Mazda were easy to replace, like 3 or four bolts and it practically falls out. My Corolla on the otherhand, I have to take the bumper and a bunch of other poo poo off to get them bitches out.

You might have success with dumping a bunch of glue/silicone caulking around the seam where the clear lens meets up with the reflector assembly. That is most likely where the leak is.
That might seal it off.

How to get rid of the condensation is a different story. If you can remove the light assembly, you could leave it sitting in the sun for a while? My lights have two bulbs. I'd probably remove both bulbs, and ram a shop vac hose up against one, and let it suck air in one hole and out the other, through the vac.

It seems like the sort of wacky thing that might work. Assuming the day isn't like 200000% humidity or something.

Sylvania Silverstar H7.

The annoying thing with the bulbs in this car is that you have to tilt the front wheels all the way in order to remove a cover so you can access/replace the bulb. Because heaven forbid you allow the owner to replace light bulbs through the engine. It's annoying as hell. Because of this contraption, it is next to impossible to inspect the backside of the assembly. Hell, I can't even have my hands up there and see at the same time that's how little room there is. I should probably just take it to my mechanic.