Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Montano was some no name that they brought in as a bracket filler for TUF but then she actually won the drat thing and they got stuck with her.

Yeah and now they're stuck with her even longer.

Anyone know what the average time before someone's been scheduled and on weight after one of these hospitalizations? It feels like there's been so many since the Weigh in time change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
They just stripped her of the title.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

probably for the best.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Herv posted:

wtf i was looking forward to this fight

Youll just have to jack off to the picture instead

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Just like the other GOAT of the woman's mma, Germaine de Randamie.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

drat, that’s some cold poo poo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

FishBowlRobot posted:

you think she's been treated unfairly?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

FishBowlRobot posted:

business...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Yeah I know, it's always like fifty degrees in hospitals

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I understand the decision, but she's held the belt less than a year. If it was a more established fighter they would have likely given her more time. In a developing division, I don't expect them to wait around for her over and over though.

Hopefully Montano gets her poo poo together. Contrary to a lot of opinions, I've found her to be pretty cool to watch and a promising prospect. Bullet is the champ the division needs though and I'm a big fan, so I won't be complaining about the move at all.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

you think she's been treated unfairly?

I get it I guess. Being the not real champ of a not real division and not defending your title for a year doesn’t really endear you to the UFC or fight fans. Wish the fight would have happened to make the division have some kind of meaning.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i feel slighted because i only just learned that nicco was a champ and of what division, and now i have to unlearn it.

done.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bit odd to strip her over this but not too shocking given Montano hasnt fought since December. I'm gonna assume they'll book Shevchenko vs a CAF for the belt at 230.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they said nicco was going to be fine in a couple days, im not sure why they didnt just put the fight on the conor card next month.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

they said nicco was going to be fine in a couple days, im not sure why they didnt just put the fight on the conor card next month.

lol

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I'm guessing because they never really wanted her to begin with.

Also how much you buy that her statement about being asked to wear Native headgear and makeup was misheard or not.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

STONE COLD 64 posted:

They probably don’t wanna hang lovely garbage on the biggest card they’ve had in years maybe ever

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol, the women's flyweight title is now vacant. Nicco has been kicked to the curb.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Sports/status/1038198524867956737

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

STONE COLD 64 posted:

They think she's ducking Shevchenko so they're just gonna book Shevchenko vs. somebody willing to fight her for the title instead

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It’s Roxy’s time to shine. Third time lucky, baby.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mekchu posted:

Bit odd to strip her over this but not too shocking given Montano hasnt fought since December.

Montano last UFC fight to being stripped: Dec 1 2017 - Sept 7 2018, 9 months 6 days
McGregor last UFC fight to being stripped (Lightweight Edition): Nov 12 2016 - Apr 7 2018, 1 year 4 months 26 days

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Montano last UFC fight to being stripped: Dec 1 2017 - Sept 7 2018, 9 months 6 days
McGregor last UFC fight to being stripped (Lightweight Edition): Nov 12 2016 - Apr 7 2018, 1 year 4 months 26 days

One of them generates millions upon millions of dollars in revenue for the UFC, the other might generate hundreds of dollars.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

One of them generates millions upon millions of dollars in revenue for the UFC, the other might generate hundreds of dollars.

actually not defending the belt for a year probably net lost them a bunch of money because the division stagnated

mewse
May 2, 2006

Honestly hope they learned from the conor situation that titles have to be contested to be interesting

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Chris James 2 posted:

Of the fighters stripped for injury or inactivity (instead of failing a steroid test or going to another promotion/contract dispute) here's the time between last fight and time of strip, in days:

Conor (LW) - 511
Conor (FW) - 350
Cruz - 828 (the only person to have defenses)
Ferguson (interim) - 182
Mir - 419
De Randamie - 128

Nicco is at 280

If Colby (Another interim champ) gets stripped tomorrow once Woodley/Till happens, he'll be at 91 days

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

With the way things are nowadays nobody should sleep on Vacant being a multi division champion

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Glad she was stripped. Pretty pathetic to not show up for your first defense of a title that you fell into.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mewse posted:

Honestly hope they learned from the conor situation that titles have to be contested to be interesting

It's doubtful but I have the same hope.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LobsterMobster posted:

Of the fighters stripped for injury or inactivity (instead of failing a steroid test or going to another promotion/contract dispute) here's the time between last fight and time of strip, in days:

Conor (LW) - 511
Conor (FW) - 350
Cruz - 828 (the only person to have defenses)
Ferguson (interim) - 182
Mir - 419
De Randamie - 128

Nicco is at 280

If Colby (Another interim champ) gets stripped tomorrow once Woodley/Till happens, he'll be at 91 days

Colby was already stripped. He barely made at most like 2 months with the interim title.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/07/tyron-woodley-vs-darren-till-title-fight-in-works-for-ufc-228-dallas-colby-covington

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

The Human Crouton posted:

Glad she was stripped. Pretty pathetic to not show up for your first defense of a title that you fell into.

tuf title

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Colby's title strip is bullshit though.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mekchu posted:

Colby was already stripped. He barely made at most like 2 months with the interim title.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/07/tyron-woodley-vs-darren-till-title-fight-in-works-for-ufc-228-dallas-colby-covington

Colby's still listed as interim champ on the UFC rankings

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

Colby's still listed as interim champ on the UFC rankings

Because he is, the article (and Dana's original statement) say he's stripped once the Woodley/Till fight happens. Basically a repeat scenario of Conor's recent stripping where he lost the belt once Khabib's fight started

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
If they want to light a fire under the division they should convince Joanna Champion to fight Schevchenko for the Flyweight title on the co main of like the Toronto card or something.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Herv posted:

wtf i was looking forward to this fight

She has a terrifying sexual energy. Like the opposite of Sage’s sexual energy.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kilometers Davis posted:

She has a terrifying sexual energy. Like the opposite of Sage’s sexual energy.

GP2BF is convinced she's a lesbian, but I can't find any corroboration of that. Pretty sure he's wrong.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Unless JDS has completely lost it, I can see him tooling up Tuivasa. If you go the distance with late career Arlovski I have to wonder about you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Untrustable posted:

Unless JDS has completely lost it, I can see him tooling up Tuivasa. If you go the distance with late career Arlovski I have to wonder about you.

Arlovski is weird becuase his chin seems somehow to have gotten better with age and I don't get it. Also his fighting style went from this complicated Freddie Roach trained footwork heavy "gonna go into boxing" poo poo into this "I'm throwing right hands over and over and gently caress defense" and he started winning fights again in his late 30s.

Heavyweight is so weird.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Montano was some no name that they brought in as a bracket filler for TUF but then she actually won the drat thing and they got stuck with her.

Who were the non-fillers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Who were the non-fillers?

Roxi, Honchak, Murphy

• Locked thread