Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Viridiant posted:

I'm honestly not a fan of how many people dislike Gabi (Mostly in other places, I haven't seen much of that here) Like, I get it. I know why. But this is a heavily indoctrinated child soldier we're talking about here, she's got more issues as a kid than I have now as an adult. Honestly I feel like if Gabi dies that'll be a pretty good indicator of the kind of ending we're going to get. If she makes it and is able to work past her hatred I think we're in for a less tragic ending.
I think a big part of why Gabi is dislikable is that she conforms too clearly to our expectations of her. We're supposed to be treating her like a person, but she feels too much like a character. This probably wouldn't be as much of a problem if she wasn't so obviously framed as "Marleyan Eren #2," but it still feels like we're waiting for her character to go somewhere new, seemingly to the redemption arc that Reiner is too broken to handle.

I do really like that they're doing something interesting with Sasha's death. The previous arcs felt like the original characters were overstaying their narrative purpose (which I guess they were if Isayama originally intended to wrap this up around season 2), but the time skip has done a really good job either reworking their role or nudging them off to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
People keep comparing her to Eren but that's just so wrong. She's a Reiner analogue, and while there are parallelisms between Reiner and Eren, there's practically no direct thematic connection between him and Gabi.

Her entire character is based around zealously adhering to the Marleyan ideal, just as Reiner did as a child, and when her worldview is challenged her answer is to frantically double down on it, again just like Reiner did.

Eren, on the other hand, is defined by having convictions defying convention. He expressed it as hatred for what he identified as the 'oppressor', yes, but fundamentally his passion was something born from within and not without - a quest for justice and freedom that he'd challenge the world to pursue. This is the complete opposite of Reiner and Gabi, who internalized what their society expected of them. Furthermore, whenever Eren's worldview was shaken by revelation, his response has always been morose soul-searching, a reassessment of what is most valuable to him, and his personal role and value in the world. His response as the world gets more complicated has been a succession of narrowing down the focus of what he finds possible to achieve.

The only connection Eren has with Gabi, which is what he pointed out to Reiner as the fundamental similarity between the two, is their capacity for violence and their inability to stop. Eren has to keep going, even when it's painful, even when it means losing the trust of his friends and making an enemy of the entire world, even going against his own sense of justice, Eren has no choice but to do what he believes is best to achieve his goals. Reiner, even after realizing he's wrong, finds himself trapped in the role of the ideal Eldian Warrior he chose to follow - he can't break out of that mold.

What remains to be see is if Gabi can break out of hers.

PS: I get "Eren's rage-child" is a fun meme because "Remember that time 10yo Eren brutally killed like 3 or 4 dudes?!", but thinking that's an accurate summation of her character is missing the point entirely.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 7, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gabi and Eren are the same because they have dark hair :smugdog:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

Gabi and Eren are the same because they have dark hair :smugdog:

Oh yeah, there's that too.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I really like the direction this series is going

I love it as well. I think it was Reiners story after the timeskip that really sold me on the manga going from very good to amazing.

His POV is heartwrenching, because he simply does not have either the time or the willpower to fix what’s left of his broken mind. Gabi and Falco are his last attempt at redemption and now they’ve been snatched away.

My favourite scene is still him in the basement with Eren, shaking with fear and relief because he knows what comes next is both a direct consequence of his actions and a potential escape from the self hatred he is now consumed by.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

:ssh: Gabi has a lot in common with Reiner because Reiner has a lot in common with Eren.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Gabi will end up inheriting Erens titan powers, and will turn on Marley

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Neither Falco or Gabi really match up close to Eren, because Eren truly is unique. It's interesting to see how this cult of personality has formed around him as a 'savior' though. Which Eren himself would probably be horrified with.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Onmi posted:

Neither Falco or Gabi really match up close to Eren, because Eren truly is unique. It's interesting to see how this cult of personality has formed around him as a 'savior' though. Which Eren himself would probably be horrified with.

Compared to everything else he's okay with these days, he's probably not losing sleep about them, especially if they serve his purposes well enough. Which so far they seem to be.

EDIT: Besides, was I the only who noticed those ending panels seem to suggest he has started altering the memories of his friends and allies?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 8, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

he can't use any of those powers without someone w. royal blood to touch.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kild posted:

he can't use any of those powers without someone w. royal blood to touch.

He shouldn't be able to shift without blood letting either, yet apparently he can now. Maybe he's keeping a vial or two of Historia's or Zeke's blood on hand for when he needs some of that ol' Coordinate magic.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

He shouldn't be able to shift without blood letting either, yet apparently he can now. Maybe he's keeping a vial or two of Historia's or Zeke's blood on hand for when he needs some of that ol' Coordinate magic.

Uhh at no point has he transformed without spilling his blood...

If you're talking about his threat to Hange, it's pretty clear unless they restrain him, he can injure himself and then use the Warhammer titan's power to get out. But they can't do that, because they know it would cause a riot with the Eldian people.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Gabi Reiner and Eren are all related because they all dream of peace but can't stop killing people.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

that's like the entire cast tho

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The proper translation clears up a lot of confusing word choices, namely clarifying that the suspicion is the Volunteers are doing something to Floch and Eren to get them to act in certain ways.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Gabi is the best character. How could anyone not love her?
JK Smug horse is best character.

Onmi posted:

The proper translation clears up a lot of confusing word choices, namely clarifying that the suspicion is the Volunteers are doing something to Floch and Eren to get them to act in certain ways.
There was only one link posted in this thread. If there is a better translation than that one, could you please link to it? Thank you!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Annie's hardening was blue :confused:

I don't know why the gently caress I keep thinking it's pink...

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 13, 2018

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

DaveKap posted:

There was only one link posted in this thread. If there is a better translation than that one, could you please link to it? Thank you!

I don't know why the gently caress I keep thinking it's pink...

I believe the better translation is the official release from Kodansha which is available on Crunchyroll or Comixology.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Is it? I have not been able to load the chapter on Crunchyroll at all, even with a Premium account.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Rhaka posted:

Is it? I have not been able to load the chapter on Crunchyroll at all, even with a Premium account.

After checking again, it doesn't look to be on Crunchyroll. It is on Comixology.

Edit: https://www.comixology.com/Attack-on-Titan-109/digital-comic/715432?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9SZWNlbnRBZGRpdGlvbnM

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Just watched the latest episode. As much as I feel like this plotline is officially dragging (I expected Rod the Lumbering Beast to be like.. half an episode because that's how I remembered it in the manga) the fact that the show is really emphasizing just how huge he is and how he's more like a hurricane than a titan makes me glad it's two episodes. Every shot of him is better than I imagined. The preview shot for the next episode makes it look like the cinematography is going into overdrive. I'm excited!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

cuntman.net posted:

that horse is smug as hell

:horse:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Do you mean when he attacked Willy's speech? He cut his hand. He can apparently injure himself and suppress the transformation until he wants to use it, just like how he was able to suppress his leg regenerating for a few months.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

If you read the manga (of course you do, you're in this thread) and watch the anime (what's wrong with you if you don't) but don't read the anime thread (because why the gently caress would you) here are some gifs I posted of the latest episodes.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863968&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post488049312

Edit: Also, next week we get some backstory that never made it into the manga, right? I forgot a LOT around this part of the manga. Some explanation of the Ackermans and what makes them special, it seems.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 18, 2018

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Do you mean when he attacked Willy's speech? He cut his hand. He can apparently injure himself and suppress the transformation until he wants to use it, just like how he was able to suppress his leg regenerating for a few months.

He's not the only one that can do it. Reiner suppressed healing his wounded arm and started regenerating it only when he was about to transform.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Annie could do it too in her titan form.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just checked up on the anime and it looks like they arn't getting to the big battle till next season. I'm glad they took it slow. Oh poo poo nevermind, I guess they are going for 24 episodes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 26, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's almost certain that they're ending this with Eren and friends on the beach.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kassad posted:

It's almost certain that they're ending this with Eren and friends on the beach.

Can't wait for the reactions to the season ending with Eren's "Kill All Those Guys Over There" speech.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's almost a shame that they're not going to end it with a shot of the photograph and "humanity has not perished".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the anime is getting so close to the parts I want to see animated the most. it's exciting

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Really hankering to see Levi vivisect that monkey

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I hope the key not fitting the door is how they end an episode. Even better if they just have no preview afterwards.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Actually the season ends when they have to make the choice between Erwin and Armin

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

SpikeMcclane posted:

I hope the key not fitting the door is how they end an episode. Even better if they just have no preview afterwards.

The joke has been made.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tweet my meat posted:

Really hankering to see Levi vivisect that monkey
really hankering to see 3/4 of the scouting legion get mulched by monkey trouble's boulder kibble

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmCyy9gUnY

Wonder if this was gonna be the 4th OP but then switched to X-JAPAN+Hyde. Lyrics certainly fit in with the themes of the insurrection arc.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DaveKap posted:

She must be a distant relative of Shiraishi from Golden Kamuy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On the newest chapter of Golden Kamui, our intrepid band of misfits seek to answer the greatest question of them all - can you make Titans taste hinna with a healthy dollop of osoma?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Korean scans of the new chapter are up, English scans should be up within 24 hours I presume.

http://wasabisyrup.com/archives/tDeDKUGWKEE

Boy howdy this is a humdinger of a chapter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Last volume is gonna be lit. :killing: