Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paladin posted:

Ineffectual Centrist Discourse: The Game looks kind of awful, but will be redeemed if you can break the game's mechanics because there are no built in counters to continually forcing everyone to the right.

I doubt it's even that illustrative, considering they see "the bourgeoisie" or "the working class" as "an idea". I mean, this is the kind of analysis that makes vulgar communism attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like the Death Note, and felt that their adaptation of Light Yagami was a super good character, who died because she overestimated her control of her biggest opponent, the same way that the original Light Yagami died.

Also she was super good in that perfume commercial she did.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Libluini posted:

This is the stupidest thing I've seen this month. I'm now feeling depressed.

This is a work of modern Internet art with so many different layers to it. You can tell how, slowly but surely, the anonymous Tech Raptor dude constructs the paragraph to build to a bold statement whilst leaving in open opportunities for further debate (why is "authors" in quotation marks?) before his final denouement - authors are here to stay. It sounds like it could have come from the mouth of the great Norfolk scholar Alan Partridge himself. Truly outstanding.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s adorable you think you are immune to confirmation bias but I this this convo proves that kind of false.

No, but I don't go in and look at the subtext in the most unflattering and intellectually dishonest way to fit my already made up conclusion. I'll go see a Spielberg film because it's Steven Spielberg. I'd give them a chance, but it won't always mean I'd like it. I won't be bringing in extra baggage about the man's politics and read every thing about that film as a confirmation of that baggage. And, I should clarify, this is about assumed politics, not explicit. There's no explicit statement of Zack Snyder's politics outside of comic book critics making poo poo up because they didn't like his take on Superman. You see where I'm getting at with this? It's not about being immune to it, it's about warping one thing into something else.

I wasn't that big a fan of his until Man of Steel, for the record. I never saw Watchmen because the source material didn't interest me and everyone kept saying it was an OK film made by someone who didn't understand the comics. 300 was alright. Likewise was Dawn of the Dead. Didn't care for Sucker Punch.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 7, 2018

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Internet Comment Etiquette takes a look at what all the cool, hip kids are in to these days (note, this one is more :nws: than usual):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNk_SH_vVbU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Jimbot posted:

No, but I don't go in and look at the subtext in the most unflattering and intellectually dishonest way to fit my already made up conclusion.

But you probably do go in and look at the subtext in the most flattering and intellectually dishonest way to fit your already made up conclusion.

(I don't think you actually do btw, you read the films as you read them. That's okay. But, it's always weak to suggest that people's fairly robust criticisms, namely that his films have objectivist themes, are made up because you have a different perspective. It's a fair criticism to make, just like your different ideas are equally fair, but "made up" seems a little much. I mean his next film IS literally adapted objectivist propaganda)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fair enough. But you have to understand that his use of Randian imagery in these two films is to set it up to fall. And if he truly was a believer in that trash, he would have been torn to shreds in the #MeToo movement or displayed his outward Objectivist beliefs in interviews and how is conducts himself in other aspects of his life. So even if you did get the idea from your readings of these films, I think it'd be fair to look into the guy before condemning him? Most critics of these films and bloggers don't even extend that courtesy.

In other news,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BIMxxfRBX4

Three Arrows put up a 50k subscriber Q&A video.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jimbot posted:

Fair enough. But you have to understand that his use of Randian imagery in these two films is to set it up to fall. And if he truly was a believer in that trash, he would have been torn to shreds in the #MeToo movement or displayed his outward Objectivist beliefs in interviews and how is conducts himself in other aspects of his life. So even if you did get the idea from your readings of these films, I think it'd be fair to look into the guy before condemning him? Most critics of these films and bloggers don't even extend that courtesy.

In other news,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BIMxxfRBX4

Three Arrows put up a 50k subscriber Q&A video.

I mean the guy who stars in Superman made a comment that he was to afraid to flirt as he might be accused of rape and nothing happened so I think you overestimate Meetoos power.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the guy who stars in Superman made a comment that he was to afraid to flirt as he might be accused of rape and nothing happened so I think you overestimate Meetoos power.

:confused:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44819116

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Nietzsche found gods corpse and was just reporting it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

And if he truly was a believer in that trash, he would have been torn to shreds in the #MeToo movement

What?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Stop Skeletons From Fighting has a video out on Nintendo, the shutdown of emulation sites, and the loss of game code and assets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBqYrmbDBgs

Posting this because yesterday I found out ISOZone got shut down, and that was a site that had a lot old, obscure stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arcsquad12 posted:

When Mr Incredible is doing superhero stuff out of self interest it is portrayed in a negative light. His moonlighting and his mercenary work for Mirage are built on self delusion and lies. The film frames his truly heroic moments when he finds a reason to be a Super beyond beating his impotence, using his powers to protect other people whether it is his family or civilians.

Yeah I was gonna say his actions during that part of the film involve A) effectively abandoning his family to invest himself in doing superhero stuff again and B) directly allow Syndrome to iterate on the omni-drone to the point where it's seemingly unbeatable. Unbeatable until, surprise, the family (and Frozone) work together to topple it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Oh he did, that’s good. I know goons in CD was saying he didn’t do anything wrong and was right not to apologize.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Max Wilco posted:

Stop Skeletons From Fighting has a video out on Nintendo, the shutdown of emulation sites, and the loss of game code and assets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBqYrmbDBgs

Posting this because yesterday I found out ISOZone got shut down, and that was a site that had a lot old, obscure stuff.

At the risk of another derail, I think this sort of thing is gross. Nintendo is the worst offender when it comes to this and the fact that it's seen as "good" compared to other game publishers is depressing.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nintendo is your childhood. Nintendo is all loving. Nintendo is all.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean, Nintendo is generally better than other companies in terms of not nakedly and desperately grasping for cash, and in that it usually be relied upon to put out a product that's decent quality and at least attempts to be fun. If you're a consumer of modern video games, they're ahead of a lot of other companies.

But yeah, they are also a corporation and as such do a lot of sucky poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nintendo being less deceptively dickish lets them get away with a lot more openly consumer hostile practices, like monetizing the hell out of YouTube and twitch streams and smashing the poo poo out of fan projects. But they're forgiven more easily by their audience because they're seen as being less bad than Sony or Microsoft or various publishers.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

At the risk of another derail, I think this sort of thing is gross. Nintendo is the worst offender when it comes to this and the fact that it's seen as "good" compared to other game publishers is depressing.

I'd be fine with a derail on this, since it's something that's been a huge frustration for me and a lot of other people for years. What makes it especially egregious is the point about how these C&Ds and shutdowns come right before Nintendo rolls out their subscription service that lets you play a handful of NES games.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nintendo is seen as less bad and will be stanned for endlessly because enough people had NES/SNES/N64 as their only games when they were a kid and have formed a lifestyle-defining attachment to those systems, and therefore Nintendo. It doesn't matter how many times they try to strongarm speedrunning videos/events into playing by their rules, how many nonmonetized fan projects they nuke, how often they kill any archival attempts, how much they only acknowledge that the internet exists through tears and gritted teeth, or how often they throw their weight around or just revel in lovely anti-consumer business practices.

All of that just washes away in the face of the might of "I loved Nintendo as a kid".

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nintendo games and systems are and always have been pretty drat good.

Nintendo as a company have always been a nest of utter bastards with lovely attitudes and practices in just about every area that would happily slit the throats of their competitors for a shilling.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nintendo is literally charging money for a service they have already have by adding lovely NES games and man the switch thread gets lovely when you point out how bad that is.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, I'll never not be amazing James's wife let him turn their basement into his own slice of 80's nostalgia. One half is his gaming center the other half is set up like a rental store.

His new video review series is him and a few of his friends just shooting the poo poo. Here's the one they did on Street Fighter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhINNl6eUX0

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nintendo being less deceptively dickish lets them get away with a lot more openly consumer hostile practices, like monetizing the hell out of YouTube and twitch streams and smashing the poo poo out of fan projects.

IMO those are less consumer hostile, in that they only target a rather small subset of consumers in a way that doesn't affect the original product. Mind you, it's still hostile; comparing big games publishers is sort of like comparing rabid raccoons, where one is just regular rabid while one also has a grenade somehow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A new video from Patrick Willems about the most recent film from the director of The Brothers Bloom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1VeOlIDD9o

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

How is Nintendo, the only company to consistently release multiple full price versions of the same game with minor differences not openly money-grubbing? Pokémon is a very lovely business model and the fact that people accept it is absurd.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hel posted:

How is Nintendo, the only company to consistently release multiple full price versions of the same game with minor differences not openly money-grubbing? Pokémon is a very lovely business model and the fact that people accept it is absurd.

You’re not supposed to buy both versions of a pokemon game. You trade for the version specific pokemon.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Like clockwork.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Junpei Hyde posted:

Netflix Death Note was pretty good

hell yeah. nine hour video by me about how good it is incoming in seven years

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hbomberguy posted:

Don't write checks you can't cash

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wingard’s Death Note was better than all three Star Wars prequels

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Flix Note starts with Australian Crawl, ends with Air Supply and everything in between is an entertaining, well-shot premeditated Final Destination type thing.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Not if I make it first mother fucker

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Commentocracy is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fj5ePZopM

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

HistoricNerd (a v.good and underrated channel) released a solid vid that's relevant to the "Nintendo are dicks" discussion - they have always been dicks. Features cool cameos from other good channels such as Jimmy Hapa and the almighty Retro Man Cave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrfHO5e3dsg

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Trade for the other version's Pokémon" hasn't been good enough since Gold and Silver introduced version-exclusive legendaries. Only in Sun and Moon did they finally get around to fixing the issue by giving you multiples of the exclusives and then, for good measure, separating the national Pokédex from the games themselves so you don't need to have owned every single one of the fuckers in each new game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

"Trade for the other version's Pokémon" hasn't been good enough since Gold and Silver introduced version-exclusive legendaries. Only in Sun and Moon did they finally get around to fixing the issue by giving you multiples of the exclusives and then, for good measure, separating the national Pokédex from the games themselves so you don't need to have owned every single one of the fuckers in each new game.

Do people really buy another copy of the game just to get a single legendary? That's loving insanity.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Andrast posted:

Do people really buy another copy of the game just to get a single legendary? That's loving insanity.

At least one guy on Youtube does and has a series of videos about it for each gen (though only up to Diamond/Pearl/Plat right now) that highlights how dumb the system is and accidentally shows just how blatant a money tactic it is.

It is more focused on how to do it on your own with minimal trading, just to really drive in how bad a system it is.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 8, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Guardian has an interesting piece on burnout and mental health issues amongst Youtube stars that is worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:allears:

I missed His Grace, Duke Amiel D'Hardcore.