Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Open Marriage Night posted:

It had amazing Gabriele Dell'Otto art, and was what Bendis built his New Avengers run off of. It's worth a read, but nothing great. The black ops costumes only appear for a couple pages in a flashback.

Also, if you like Spider-Punk, I highly recommend the comics he's appeared in. Edge of Spider-Verse #2 and Edge of Spider-Geddon #1 are his two solo stories that are both awesome. And they're written by a goon.

Seconding the Spider-Geddon #1, it's fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Game's great. Story's opening is pretty good. Glad I was able to solve Kingpin's Nefarious Figma Puzzle.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Harlock posted:

Love the game so far. Falls into the same Arkham trap, though, of how I wish the license was bigger. Imagine if Insomniac had the whole Marvel license and not just Spider-Man.

There's tons of references to the other New York marvel characters (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Avengers Tower, Dr. Strange) but it's a shame no one shows up.

I would kill for side missions with Luke Cage or Dr. Strange.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Well the good news is that this was Marvel’s opening foray into creating a new video game “universe”, and it’s sold loving gangbusters already so expect a boatload of Disney money to start flowing into developers soon.

I think the next thing is Avengers from the Tomb Raider folks but we haven’t seen anything on that in a while.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Someone has to be pitching an Ant-Man game because when watching Ant-Man and the Wasp I kept thinking how amazing the size shifting could be if done right in a game.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just want another Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

It had the best stealth missions of any game.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I came home from work last night and in a kind of tired, low effort headache daze got every single backpack in the city (and every tower in the process). The movement in this game is great, I kept expecting reviews of it to be a bit exaggerated, but nope, once you get the hang of it you're just Spidermanning around.

Something happened to me while backpack hunting. I ignored a car chase that I accidentally swung over on my way to grab one and of course by the time I grabbed it everything was over. Didn't mind really and set off. About 5 minutes later JJJ gets a call from a dude who was injured in the chase while Spiderman was in the area and JJJ goes on a rant about how Spiderman must have had better things to do because he's a Millenial with no priorities. :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure how big this will be since I'm phone posting but this is a screencap from the opening cutscene in Peter's apartment. I think the best sticky note is one that's partially obscured that says "Spider-Mobile - good idea or GREAT idea?"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There is so much ubigaming going on here but I don't even give a gently caress. Swinging owns. Going places to chase a pigeon owns.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JJJ railed against punk music, and then had to lay down at the thought there might be some Spider-Man imitator dressed like a punk rocker. Can't wait to see what he has to say about the other costumes.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Game is extremely my poo poo

The acrobatics roll XP is pretty pathetic but you get loads of focus from it so it's pretty good

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

For one glorious second whem its shown that JJJ has a podcast I thought they were going to make him Alex Jones Jonah Jameson.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I have the difficulty set to Spectacular and it's just right

I was really worried it'd end up being too easy

also Impact Web for life

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Spiderman should not be grimdark. Let every other hero be that but not spiderman. He's inherently goofy. They get that he's an awkward nerd but its not really that, he's just... a goof.

I hated basically all of the spider man movies, although they kinda got better as they went, but Spiderman Homecoming FINALLY really loving nailed that feeling of just like, good times, cracking jokes, rescuing your friends and saving the neighborhood. That's spiderman.

Man imagine being so illiterate that you think the Raimi movies are grimdark.

Sedisp posted:

For one glorious second whem its shown that JJJ has a podcast I thought they were going to make him Alex Jones Jonah Jameson.

I'm actually really glad they didn't, maybe that would've been funny in 2015 when all we had to concern ourselves with Jones was turning the frickin' frogs gay but now that the dude influences national policy it'd add a really cynical and sinister vibe to a character as inherently silly as JJJ.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/1038095223685967872

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1038102305202159618

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Alex Jones is banned from every platform online not run by Nazis (and Twitter) and is about to get turbo hosed by a combination of lawsuits by his wife and grieving Sandy Hook parents. It's great, it's never been a better time to make fun of Alex Jones.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

It's a great time to be into videogames right now... I bought GoW with Spiderman in a 3 for 2 deal, not gonna get to play the former anytime soon though, too busy webslinging around until 4 am.

edit: puh, almost called myself a gamer, yuck

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I think I just sussed out the combat.

Instinct is to go in guns blazing because you've got a lot of movesets and spidey is supposed to be all agile and stuff. Actually, you should completely hold off and counter everything (basically, prioritise pressing the dodge button first before launching into a counter attack).

It feels a lot more flowey and less chaotic that way.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Also, even early in the game, knocking a webbed enemy into a wall is effectively a one-hit KO.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Sometimes ill swing around a wevbed enemy and hell get stuck into the firsf surface he makes contact with, other times ill throw s webbed enemy three times and he wont stick to anything. Does anyone know how to guarantee that satisfying THWAP of slamming a sticky thug onto the wall?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm only gonna get to play this in snatches as time allows, but I intend to use that time wisely tracking down every last one of Peter's backpacks and finding his smelly old gym clothes :allears:

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Wanderer posted:

Also, even early in the game, knocking a webbed enemy into a wall is effectively a one-hit KO.

Web a dude up, jump in the air and swing kick him into a wall is a great way of dealing with individual mooks.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Alright so I've been playing for about 45 minutes and what the gently caress is going on? Everything is exploding and purple grape and the police force are killing the poo poo out of me

Am I too retarded or high to play this game?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

:ninja:

eat your heart out, sea patrol. there’s a new form of justice on the high seas.

also the true villains in this game should be the mutant groundhog/squirrel hybrids running around, those things are spooky

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sedisp posted:

I mean, sometimes he totally is. NAZIS MADE OF BEES and SPIDER-MAN IS TAPPING INTO POLICE TOWERS TO SPY ON US.

Am I the only one getting my spider rear end kicked by fat dudes? Rocket launchers, no problem. Super villains, whatever. Pseudo magic ninja gangsters, pfft they can suck it. One or god forbid two big boys though and Spider-man dies like a spider can. I get punched, try to dodge away, and end up dodging into more punches. Those guys, and pigeon chasing are the only moments in this whole game so far I've stopped and gone "hmm that's not very Spider-man-like"

edit: also leaping off a huge swing, whipping the phone out and taking a picture of a landmark in mid free fall is way more satisfying than it has any right to be

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 8, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pirate Jet posted:

Man imagine being so illiterate that you think the Raimi movies are grimdark.

I'm actually really glad they didn't, maybe that would've been funny in 2015 when all we had to concern ourselves with Jones was turning the frickin' frogs gay but now that the dude influences national policy it'd add a really cynical and sinister vibe to a character as inherently silly as JJJ.

Plus JJJ is supposed to be an rear end in a top hat but still fundamentally a good person. Jones is an rear end in a top hat and a horrible human being so it’s not he same

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I mean, sometimes he totally is. NAZIS MADE OF BEES and SPIDER-MAN IS TAPPING INTO POLICE TOWERS TO SPY ON US.

Am I the only one getting my spider rear end kicked by fat dudes? Rocket launchers, no problem. Super villains, whatever. Pseudo magic ninja gangsters, pfft they can suck it. One or god forbid two big boys though and Spider-man dies like a spider can. I get punched, try to dodge away, and end up dodging into more punches. Those guys, and pigeon chasing are the only moments in this whole game so far I've stopped and gone "hmm that's not very Spider-man-like"

edit: also leaping off a huge swing, whipping the phone out and taking a picture of a landmark in mid free fall is way more satisfying than it has any right to be

Get the skill that allows you webthrow them around, they become huge weapons after you web them up, and then you throw them against a building or object to immediately take them out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

NAZIS MADE OF BEES is a real thing Spider-Man has dealt with though. (He's called Swarm)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The internal struggle that is Spider-Punk vs Spider-Cop

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Yeah, those guys take way too many hits considering they're just big fat dudes with no superpowers. Well, unless a diet consisting exclusively of pizza, Cheetos and Mountain Dew gives you superpowers, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Pennfalath posted:

Get the skill that allows you webthrow them around, they become huge weapons after you web them up, and then you throw them against a building or object to immediately take them out.
I need to look into that, I guess. Also, how do the Triangle+O finishing moves work on the fatties? There was a tutorial blurb about it, but I kinda missed it because I was busy fighting said fatties. I'm assuming your focus needs to be absolutely full before you can take one of them down?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Doc M posted:

Yeah, those guys take way too many hits considering they're just big fat dudes with no superpowers. Well, unless a diet consisting exclusively of pizza, Cheetos and Mountain Dew gives you superpowers, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case

Constipation is a natural shield to launchers ans x-x-x combos.

Loving the game and combat, but i just finished Okami and was replaying Bayo 2, so im barely doing web stuff and instead grinded my way through dodge upgrades. Muscle memory fucks me up sometimes with thrying to dodge with the right trigger.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Those "Stop the car before it flips" QTEs get me every time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The funny thing about Jameson is that he's not always wrong.

Also (mid-game spoiler) the bombing scene and subsequent sequence is really well done.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

not 100% on this game so far, I kinda worried it would basically be spiderman 2 but HD and it seems thats pretty much the case, I loved that game when it came out but kinda wanted more. So far it seems to be that plus minigames.

it may well get better though, I'm not very far into it

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Coffee And Pie posted:

The internal struggle that is Spider-Punk vs Spider-Cop

Spider Cop is retired though

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lunatic Sledge posted:

In case anyone didn't know: totally a thing: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarm_%28comics%29?wprov=sfla1

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Harlock posted:

Spider Cop is retired though

For now. :colbert:

Also now I realize how crime bonus tokens work. I've been doing all the side missions in a row and everytime I stopped a crime after a while I noticed the bonus objectives were staying checked. At first I thought it was a bug but now I see that there's a set for each 'type' of crime you stop. And once you complete it it's gotten. Don't have to worry about trying for it again. And if you miss it you can do it later.

Which means I'm still missing that 'Stop a car chase without taking damage' bonus from regular thugs. :T

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 8, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It had amazing Gabriele Dell'Otto art, and was what Bendis built his New Avengers run off of. It's worth a read, but nothing great. The black ops costumes only appear for a couple pages in a flashback.

Also, if you like Spider-Punk, I highly recommend the comics he's appeared in. Edge of Spider-Verse #2 and Edge of Spider-Geddon #1 are his two solo stories that are both awesome. And they're written by a goon.

My nemory of Secret War is that the art took so long to do that the schedule slip was years. The gap between issue 1 and 2 was huge and i never even saw issue 3.

It had a really good idea though, The logical divide between how bad guys with tech worth millions were using it to rob banks.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
This game looks dope but I don't have a PS4. Are there any streamers/LPers playing this start to finish with minimal/no commentary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Oh em gee!! Am I being given marching orders by THE TASKMASTER!?