Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I thought that went without saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neito posted:

Blight was an on-and-off villain for about the first two seasons of Beyond. He was mostly puppetmastering to get Bruce's half of Wayne-Powers Enterprises, rather than directly being a walking radioactive waste dump.

The secret of Batman Beyond is that it's basically Spider-man. Blight is the Green Goblin, even with his own layabout son.

It got meta given Spider-man Homecoming has a teenager in a power suit being reluctantly mentored by an older superhero.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ted Turner was the liberal equivalent of a Koch brother for a while there. Except instead of buying politicians he put on 2nd tier sports competitions and made Captain Planet.

Hey now, the Braves finally managed a World Series win in 1995 :mad:

One of the apocryphal stories of Ted Turner is that he would bring a cooler of beer into Fulton County Stadium and heckle his own team from the cheap seats, shirtless.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

One of the apocryphal stories of Ted Turner is that he would bring a cooler of beer into Fulton County Stadium and heckle his own team from the cheap seats, shirtless.

There's a fun little book called "We Could've Finished Last Without You," by a guy named Bob Hope (not that Bob Hope) who did promotional stuff for the Braves and Hawks during the bad years. It has a bunch of stories about how crazy Turner was. Though if he heckled anyone shirtless from the stands, it was the Hawks. He tried to tank them so he could move them to Charlotte.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

I swear there was an episode... Not coffee, but exploited indigenous people, and some other kind crop.

The cocaine episode hasn't aged well either.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Milo and POTUS posted:

The cocaine episode hasn't aged well either.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

I was more referring to the Goodwill Games. An Olympics-lite so insignificant bickering countries couldn't even be bothered to boycott it.

But the Braves and Hawks work too. Ted Turner bought both not because he liked baseball or basketball, but because they have lots of games and their seasons don't overlap much so he could fill his TBS broadcast schedules.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There's a fun little book called "We Could've Finished Last Without You," by a guy named Bob Hope (not that Bob Hope) who did promotional stuff for the Braves and Hawks during the bad years. It has a bunch of stories about how crazy Turner was. Though if he heckled anyone shirtless from the stands, it was the Hawks. He tried to tank them so he could move them to Charlotte.

There was a story once about a guy bringing his date to a Braves game and there were so few people there the pitcher had time to cock block him and take his girl. I think their all-time low for paid attendance was 27, which meant there were more people on the field than in the stands.

EDIT: ha...I just looked up that book. A book about the losingest team in baseball...published May 1st, 1991 (for those not aware, that was one month into the season where the Braves would win the NL title. They won their division for the next...I think 14 years straight).

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Sep 5, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Burt Reynolds died and got me to thinking how his poo poo hasn't aged really well at all. Aside from The Longest yard and Deliverance he was basically the embodiment of 70's macho cheesy sex symbols. Sort of the Tom Selleck of the 70's.

Boogie Nights owned though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BiggerBoat posted:

Burt Reynolds died and got me to thinking how his poo poo hasn't aged really well at all. Aside from The Longest yard and Deliverance he was basically the embodiment of 70's macho cheesy sex symbols. Sort of the Tom Selleck of the 70's.

First off, never sleep on Burt as Charlie B. Barkin in All Dogs Go to Heaven.

And second, I'm gonna be inconsolable when Tom Selleck goes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Toshimo posted:

First off, never sleep on Burt as Charlie B. Barkin in All Dogs Go to Heaven.

And second, I'm gonna be inconsolable when Tom Selleck goes.

Same.

I think it's time for a memorial service of cheep beer and watching Hooper.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Proteus Jones posted:

Same.

I think it's time for a memorial service of cheep beer and watching Cop and a Half.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

And just this morning I made a Smokey and the Bandit joke. It was me I killed him

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

And just this morning I made a Smokey and the Bandit joke. It was me I killed him

They’ll embalm him in Coors Lite smuggled out of Colorado.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Proteus Jones posted:

Same.

I think it's time for a memorial service of cheep beer and watching Hooper.

I'll take Gator since it was filmed in my hometown.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Len posted:

Well at least tell the loving joke, man. Unless you're afraid you'll croak Sally Field.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

Well at least tell the loving joke, man. Unless you're afraid you'll croak Sally Field.

I work in a warehouse shipping chemicals places and a driver said he couldn't make it somewhere in the time the paperwork wanted it.

"You just need a Bandit"

And then Burt Reynolds died because it was bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Len posted:

I work in a warehouse shipping chemicals places and a driver said he couldn't make it somewhere in the time the paperwork wanted it.

"You just need a Bandit"

And then Burt Reynolds died because it was bad.

Yeah, you killed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'll take Gator since it was filmed in my hometown.

Yeah, I'm expanding to be a marathon with Hooper, Gator, and Sharkey's Machine (maybe The Cannonball Run)

Also, clips of Win Lose or Draw

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BiggerBoat posted:

Please don't take The Flying Nun away from us.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
The only thing I really know Burt Reynolds from was Silent Movie, but that's so great that it's all I ever needed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

They need to get Norm McDonald to deliver the eulogy as Turd Ferguson

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

They need to get Norm McDonald to deliver the eulogy as Turd Ferguson

My favorite SNL story was they were going to do a "celebrity Jeopardy" with norm as Burt, and he'd deliver the same nonsensical answers he'd always give. Then the real Burt Reynolds was going to show up on stage and run Norm off and take his place. And his answers were going to be even worse than Norm's. But then Norm got fired and the whole thing fell through.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Evening Shade wasn't a bad show.

Reynolds was the lead, but smart enough to play straight man to a town of misfits and weirdos. Reynolds taught at a small school and was the head coach of an insanely awful football team. The character actors (Ossie Davis, Hal Holbrook, Michael Jeter, etc.) were fantastic and the high cost of paying everyone was allegedly a reason it wasn't renewed. Only one season has been released on DVD.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Evening Shade wasn't a bad show.

Reynolds was the lead, but smart enough to play straight man to a town of misfits and weirdos. Reynolds taught at a small school and was the head coach of an insanely awful football team. The character actors (Ossie Davis, Hal Holbrook, Michael Jeter, etc.) were fantastic and the high cost of paying everyone was allegedly a reason it wasn't renewed. Only one season has been released on DVD.

I thought that another issue was that the actress who played his wife got pregnant in real life and the show had actually had a storyline a couple of years earlier about Burt's character getting a vasectomy.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Weirdly enough, the only Burt Reynolds movie I remember was "Malone," in which he plays as a former CIA agent who stumbles upon a right-wing conspiracy to seize control of various country towns and harass recalcitrant townsfolk. It's basically a weird episode of the 70s Incredible Hulk, only he finds shotguns when he's angry.

It stuck with me because Malone is a family name and Reynolds looks remarkably like a lot of my uncles on that side of the family, at least the way they looked in the 70s. Not one of them has ever kicked in the door to a right-wing militia's high tech bunker though, at least to my knowledge.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
While not a single episode per se, I've been watching CHiPs episodes on Amazon as it was one of my favorite shows as a kid. The years have not been kind. Any cop that's constantly hitting up people he pulls over for dates would surely be fired now a days.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

uli2000 posted:

Any cop that's constantly hitting up people he pulls over for dates would surely be fired now a days.

Just a reminder that currently the penalty for extrajudicial murder is a paid vacation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Torquemada posted:

Just a reminder that currently the penalty for extrajudicial murder is a paid vacation.

Also, in many states people who are detained or under arrest can provide consent. :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Torquemada posted:

I'm super curious what that Texas cop is going to get as a punishment.

Just walked into a guy's house and shot him because "woops thought it was my house"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also, in many states people who are detained or under arrest can provide consent. :shrug:

As in "Yes I hosed that prisoner, your honour. But it's OK coz she said yes. Why yes I was armed, in a position of considerable authority and power over her, and she was unable to get away because she was locked up, but I don't see how that is relevant."

"Not guilty."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BrigadierSensible posted:

As in "Yes I hosed that prisoner, your honour. But it's OK coz she said yes. Why yes I was armed, in a position of considerable authority and power over her, and she was unable to get away because she was locked up, but I don't see how that is relevant."

"Not guilty."

That's what I mean, yeah. Mindboggling, really.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Rudolph's dad says "That's my boy" when Rudolph finally is successful but he was a bad dad who denied his son unconditional love simply for having a glowing nose.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's pretty well established that reindeer are jerks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Also, aren't the only reindeers who keep their antlers during winter the females?

EDIT: Yep. Male reindeer drop their antlers around November. So Rudolph was a lady.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, aren't the only reindeers who keep their antlers during winter the females?

EDIT: Yep. Male reindeer drop their antlers around November. So Rudolph was a lady.

Dude show some respect for transgender holiday symbols. It's none of your business what genitals antlers Rudolph has

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mamkute posted:

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Rudolph's dad says "That's my boy" when Rudolph finally is successful but he was a bad dad who denied his son unconditional love simply for having a glowing nose.

Pretty sure that "Realizing that Rudolph is about how nobody likes you if you're different unless there's a way to profit from it." qualifies as one of those "Your childhood ends when you realize" memes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Frankly I think it’s pretty horseshit that Santa Claus, an immortal snow wizard, has been doing his gig for centuries without figuring out how to handle poor weather conditions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fruit on the bottom posted:

Frankly I think it’s pretty horseshit that Santa Claus, an immortal snow wizard, has been doing his gig for centuries without figuring out how to handle poor weather conditions.

Fuckers with tenure won't retire.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

BrigadierSensible posted:

"I'm a cop, gotta keep us cops on the streets to shoot black people."

"Not guilty."

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

the_steve posted:

Pretty sure that "Realizing that Rudolph is about how nobody likes you if you're different unless there's a way to profit from it." qualifies as one of those "Your childhood ends when you realize" memes.

Rudolph was invented by Sears to sell home appliances during the winter months, further exploiting Cocoa Cola’s earlier creation, Santa Claus.