Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's an actual arcade version in Japan, I wonder how it handles items.

I was wondering this too and SNK says an arcade patch is coming to consoles next week that adds stick compatibility and the Million Arthur character, so clear that up before I slander the game too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Since this series is a thing that's talked about here: The Korean Game Rating Board has posted up age classifications for a game called "Puyo Puyo e Sports" for PS4 and Switch...

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I hope it’s adult-only equivalent. We need an esports puyo where the puyos gently caress.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
let's give staircasing a new meaning

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Stop stealing from my fanfics

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

In Training posted:

I was wondering this too and SNK says an arcade patch is coming to consoles next week that adds stick compatibility and the Million Arthur character, so clear that up before I slander the game too much.

I played a few matches online and literally the only thing that differentiates the characters to me right now is the range of their jumping heavy attack and their super move. Once I just stopped using special moves or any combos over like those initial few hits you can easily altogether I was winning consistently because the only thing that matters is landing as many super moves as possible and you can do that more often.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
bad fighting games are a tradition for the genre and deserve to be celebrated and played

when people got together irl to play fighters instead of online, bad fighting games were commonly played for fun. I can't imagine anything that would suck the fun out of a game like snk heroines more than not playing it with your crew in person

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dias posted:

UNIST is much like Melty Blood in the sense where it has a bunch of bullshit systems with weird names but picking up and playing the game is actually pretty intuitive and everything feels good and snappy.
Also the GRD system mostly rewards whoever happens to be playing the best, so for newcomers you can just boil it down to "if you play better you get this aura and then you can use it up to do a roman cancel"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zand posted:

bad fighting games are a tradition for the genre and deserve to be celebrated and played

when people got together irl to play fighters instead of online, bad fighting games were commonly played for fun. I can't imagine anything that would suck the fun out of a game like snk heroines more than not playing it with your crew in person

I hate playing games online in general - this was the first time I played a game online since the week KoF XIV came out - but we played plenty in person yesterday and it wasn't much of an improvement. :D

I mean the game isn't zero fun or anything but we're never going to drop the same amount of fun-with-bad-games-amount-of-time on this like we would with the legendary bad fighting games of yore. But I do like how, contrary to my fears, they actually did remember who the characters are and their special moves have little cartoony effects based on their profiles in the King of Fighters games and stuff.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

In Training posted:

It's because the story is that they've all been abducted by Kukri and he's forcing them into these battles in skimpy outfits with the victor being able to walk away free from his dungeon. Everybody can unlock their classic outfits and their portrait stops blushing if you use those

You've got cause and effect reversed. The story is that they've all been abducted by Kukri and he's forcing them into these battles in skimpy outfits with the victor being able to walk away free from his dungeon because SNK wanted to give them skimpy outfits and "kyaaa i'm so embarassed" portraits.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

Yeah but I'd prefer the indies were the ones making bad games and not the studios with decades of experience and characters I like.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah but I'd prefer the indies were the ones making bad games and not the studios with decades of experience and characters I like.

I get that but drat I love spectral vs generation and kof max impact. also hnk and rumble fish. and ngbc... and kofxi.. and a lot of other games that "sucked" by experienced studios

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bad fighting games hold a very special place in my heart

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

I get that but drat I love spectral vs generation and kof max impact. also hnk and rumble fish. and ngbc... and kofxi.. and a lot of other games that "sucked" by experienced studios

I get what you're saying and I'm completely open to being wrong about this game but Heroines is missing so much basic poo poo in the name of "accessibility" that I don't think it even has the potential to be fun in that way, it's just boring, and the decisions they made in the name of casual players are some "indie dev thinks he can Solve Fighting Games" bullshit that you wouldn't expect from SNK of all companies.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 9, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I get what you're saying and I'm completely open to being wrong about this game but Heroines is missing so much basic poo poo in the name of "accessibility" that I don't think it even has the potential to be fun in that way, it's just boring, and the decisions they made in the name of casual players are some "indie dev thinks he can Solve Fighting Games" bullshit that you wouldn't expect from SNK of all companies.

Yeah, jank fighting games are fun, SNK Heroines is just nothing. It's not Fight of Gods.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

thats a real shame to hear about snk heroines honestly, i saw some stuff that looked cool for it too. was hoping it would be fexl tier

stuff like this got me pumped :\
https://twitter.com/hameko/status/1037494826474721281

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I will temper all that by saying my experience is limited to two hours' play on Switch where I already kinda didn't give a gently caress and it ran poorly to boot so I wasn't feeling generous.

If there's anything there, it'll probably come from being able to toss items from different directions, but I really do feel like the potential for goofy bullshit will plateau very quickly.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i saw an item in snk heroines that heavily pixelizes the screen for a little bit, and i guess the intended gameplay function of that would be to pop it and make your mixups unclear, but. there's no crouching. there's no lows. there's no overheads. the only kind of attack you can do besides punching the other lady is a throw, and it doesn't pixelize it to the point where you can't see someone getting close to you. why

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

End of an Era
guess this means no more tiny blanka and silly costumes

https://twitter.com/eventhubs/status/1038616243245277184

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think that article might be reaching a little and Ono's probably not as divorced from fighting games as people think.

I don't think it matters because Capcom's not going to make non-SF fighting games anytime soon anyway.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
monster hunter fighter

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

In Training posted:

Did anybody on the planet get SNK Heroines

Yes, it'a SNK game aimed at the fanbase who bought those DS dating sims

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MohShuvuu posted:

monster hunter fighter

Specifically fighting as the Monsters.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Monster Hunter World is incredibly good and robustly supported with free updates. I don't expect SF to get MonHun support but this could be a very good thing.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Zand posted:

rumble fish. and ngbc... and kofxi.. and a lot of other games that "sucked" by experienced studios

none of these games are bad???

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it means that any fighting games are likely going to be very different or not exist at all.

basically ono probably wont be the one asking people above him to greenlight the budget for a fighting game, it will be the monster hunter dude. if a fighting game gets greenlit, its probably still gonna be made by ono. because of that i imagine the circumstances of what gets greenlit will change.

what it comes down to is probably they want the monster hunter guy in charge because he has a better idea of what actually resonates with consumers and would sell... ono probably approved marvel infinite lol

anime was right fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 9, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

darealkooky posted:

none of these games are bad???

The point he's making is that there are "bad" games and actually bad games and people are way too uptight about the former.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
as long as we still get a man to get the crowd to chant "shoryuken" in broken english every event I don't care who's running the show

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Capcom really just needs to put their fighting game division on ice for a few years or something, Nobody needs to play SFV now that Namco-Bandai, ArcSys, and even SNK are making nice stuff. SFV is just an unfun money pit but hey maybe the MonHun guy will carry over some of his eternal wisdom and tell them to just make everything free.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand posted:

thats a real shame to hear about snk heroines honestly, i saw some stuff that looked cool for it too. was hoping it would be fexl tier

stuff like this got me pumped :\
https://twitter.com/hameko/status/1037494826474721281

Big damage stuff is cool but there's literally no way to mix somebody up. You either block or you throw, so if somebody jumps, you block, because there's no such thing as overheads or lows. It's not fun in the way classically weird am hosed up FGs are fun, it's just toothless and odd.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CharlestonJew posted:

as long as we still get a man to get the crowd to chant "shoryuken" in broken english every event I don't care who's running the show

how do you chant a non-English word in broken English

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I ask myself the same question every time I pick Allen Snider

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It’s basically shareholder magic, nothing is actually changing they’re just saving face by appearing to make changes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mon hun guy gonna sell us the same ps2 game for 15 years with bigger and bigger rosters....what im saying is its gonna be great

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If a fighting game had characters that feel as varied and unique as the monster hunter weapons I'm in. Granted weapon balance in a pve game is a different beast from fighting game character balance, but just making them fun to play in a vacuum may be enough.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
street fighter vi simplified to 3 inputs + block button, adds items

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Anyone wanna try MvC2 on Demul with me?

https://www.fgcarcadia.cu.ma/marvel-vs-capcom-2/

Video guide for set-up is 4 minutes long and easy to follow

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
3/4 buttons is actually better than 6 buttons frankly