Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zoux posted:

To be eligible for this year's Emmy, a show must premiere before April 27. The Terror premiered at the end of March

Well that’s some straight up bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I turned my Phone Destroyer avatar into Goodsir.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
On my 2nd read-through. Even though I know what will happen it is still excellent.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Just saw this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatoon-s-synchrotron-helps-debunk-franklin-expedition-lead-poisoning-theory-1.4800604

quote:

Lead did not play a significant role in deaths of crew members

The two ships of the Franklin Expedition disappeared during an 1845 search for the Northwest Passage.

Although there were many factors stacked against the crew members of the ill-fated Franklin Expedition of 1845, one theory about what caused their demise has been dubunked by researchers at Saskatoon's synchrotron, the Canadian Light Source.

"In the synchrotron we are able to put these little fragments of bone into the beam," David Cooper, the Canada Research chair in synchrotron bone imaging, said in an interview with CBC Radio's Saskatoon Morning.

A close inspection of the crew's remains found high levels of lead, relative to modern populations. Those findings, combined with the discovery of lead-lined food tins found by archaeologists, created a foundation for speculation that lead poisoning may have compromised the sailor's decision making abilities, leading them to embark on a deadly march to Hudson Bay.

"The theory took hold from there," said Cooper.

Cooper and his colleagues were able to peer into small bone samples from the crew. While they did find evidence of exposure to lead, it did not happen in the short time period that the Franklin Expedition crew was stranded in the Arctic.

"Your bones replace themselves very slowly, a few per cent per year, so if they have lead distributed extensively through their bones, that suggests much of it went in well before the expedition."

In short, the work in Saskatoon debunks the theory that lead killed the crew.

Cooper said this should not come as a surprise.

"It's not a stretch of the imagination to understand how people die after two or three years in the Arctic. This was a desperate situation, food supplies are running low, and there is evidence of cannibalism later on in the expedition. I think what's remarkable is that they survived as long as they did."

Still, Cooper said, this is valuable work which will help scientists better understand how lead accumulates in the body.

"One of the big questions in lead poisoning in archeology is that bones passively take up lead from the environment, which further complicates things."

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Counteresperanto posted:

He may have had a different outlook on the situation, if he'd known it was going to devour his soul.

He would have been even happier, since in the book at least the corrupt and sickly souls of the englishmen act as a poison.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I forgot how far along in the book it is before Hickey makes an appearance.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That sled hauling reconstruction video with royal mounties was brutal.

You really didn't need more complicated theories since the guys were trying to haul sleds burning 8000+ calories a day on starvation diets.

Which also probably didn't have adequate nutrition as well because they didn't realize that the canning process destroys many beneficial things like Vitamin C.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Mr Goodsir is currently in the BBC1 drama Bodyguard playing a considerably less than good sir.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

zoux posted:

To be eligible for this year's Emmy, a show must premiere before April 27. The Terror premiered at the end of March

I know I'm replying to an ancient post here, but I don't understand. Wouldn't that still make The Terror eligible?

Zagazunt
Mar 4, 2018
Did I miss the explanation for why the rescue party Crozier originally sent out was not only dead (understandable), but decapitated and arranged as they were ? Watched this series over the last week, it has me pretty horny for arctic exploration.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zagazunt posted:

Did I miss the explanation for why the rescue party Crozier originally sent out was not only dead (understandable), but decapitated and arranged as they were ? Watched this series over the last week, it has me pretty horny for arctic exploration.

They just got caught by Tuunbaq; it arranged body parts before like the top half of one guy set on top of the bottom half of another guy after it had bisected both of them.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Zagazunt posted:

Between that and the bisected person combo we can infer that the creature has an extremely unanimalistic penchant for psyops.

Zagazunt
Mar 4, 2018

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Between that and the bisected person combo we can infer that the creature has an extremely unanimalistic penchant for psyops.

And just maybe an eye for the dramatic.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Tuunbaq has a creative side, but his art fails to impress Lady Silence, the object of his affection.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Caufman posted:

Tuunbaq has a creative side, but his art fails to impress Lady Silence, the object of his affection.

I now want a compilation of Tuunbaq scenes, narrated by David Attenborough.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I think the Tuunbaq definitely had a budgetary restriction which had a tangible effect on the production. I just read the script for the first episode and it interestingly describes a bunch of extra detail with the Tuunbaq appearing over the dying man in episode 1, and swimming around the ship at the end, stalking it.

Also on a rewatch during the attack on the camp, there's a lot of oddly edited moments. The scene cuts but the way the camera moves indicates it was probably initially a True Detective style long take action sequence that was chopped up in the edit.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Caufman posted:

The Virgin Tuunbaq vs the Chad Mr. Blankey

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
given how many people found the appearance of tuunbaq comical, holding the full reveal off was probably a good move.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some of the Sheep posted:

given how many people found the appearance of tuunbaq comical, holding the full reveal off was probably a good move.

Yeah it's classic example of why keeping monster appearances to a minimal is the approach some films use.

He looks like a downs syndrome polar bear in the series.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
gently caress. Now I'm feeling bad for the Tuunbaq....

Out of pity I will let him eat my soul.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Caufman posted:

gently caress. Now I'm feeling bad for the Tuunbaq....

Out of pity I will let him eat my soul.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sorry if this was posted but I didn't see it, more details on S2.

https://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror/talk/2018/06/the-terror-renewed-for-season-2

quote:

The next iteration, co-created and executive-produced by Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla), will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific. The second season will also once again be executive-produced by legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Life in an internment camp gonna be depressing as hell

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just find two characters for Jared Harris and Tobias Menzies to play and we're good!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hope there's no monster this season

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phi230 posted:

I hope there's no monster this season

It's us: we're the monsters... :smith:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's us: we're the monsters... :smith:

Yeah and having an actual literal monster would undermine that message

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They've said there's a monster.

“an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific,”

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 27, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Yeah and having an actual literal monster would undermine that message

It doesn't take much for humans to out-monster a monster, though. It's like how Tuunbaq is more likeable than Mr. Hickey.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
And if there is a monster, it's implied, shown sparingly, left to conjecture; just don't stick it out there like a cheap horror movie.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I hope the monster is Tuunbaq's son.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's going to be a smoke monster.
Combined with the polar bear monster it will be revealed that this all exists in the LOST universe

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I do not mind monsters, in fact I think monsters are awesome

The issue with The Terror is that most of it isn't about the monster but then it suddenly is about the monster AND the monster is just a really fat bear which is less than interesting. Despite this, the show was still good because of how different it was and because it rested on the shoulders of awesome actors

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

I hope the monster is Tuunbaq's son.

Tuunbaq died a incel

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The sad thing about tuunbaq incels is that the group was started by a female tuunbaq frustrated about not being able to find a mate, but then the male tuunbaq incels showed up and threatened to kill her and got themselves banned from tuunbaq Reddit for being assholes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just remembered that Lady Silence lost her Tuunbaq and had to leave her community lol this show lost it at the end

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Professor Shark posted:

I just remembered that Lady Silence lost her Tuunbaq and had to leave her community lol this show lost it at the end

That felt more correct, to me, than the book version where she loses all agency and just becomes Crozier’s trophy wife.
:shrug:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That felt more correct, to me, than the book version where she loses all agency and just becomes Crozier’s trophy wife.
:shrug:

Marrying Crozier was her agency.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Wasn't Fortitude brought up in this here thread? At what point does it get good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Wasn't Fortitude brought up in this here thread? At what point does it get good?

I like the show a lot, so it was probably me who recommended it. It shifts genres around a few times, which I think people found off-putting, it initially presents as Nordic noir, but shifts into sci-fi, and then slasher horror, with hints of cosmic horror all the way through. Which is presumably where it's going in its final season. So if it isn't initially working for you, and I'm guessing from your post that it isn't, it might work for you by the time you get to later episodes.

Or not; I know other goons have reported that they enjoyed the first season but found the second season wanting, but personally I found it to be the other way around. The second season is better paced, with more of the hosed up imagery that the first season occasionally played with. I enjoy how unsentimental and hosed up the show can get, and I enjoy that it largely earns its fuckedupedness by grounding itself in a lot of its earlier episodes. (That's something I liked a lot about The Terror as well. The Terror's first three episodes are largely low incident affairs that slowly move things forward, and it has long periods of solely quotidian nastiness throughout most of its second act. It's only with the fire and the carnival that things really start to get absurd and spectacular).

Fortitude's also not the kind of show that does a lot of explaining, which I occasionally found annoying -- though less so in it's second season, which I think goes with the shift in genre. e.g. the pig in the first episode. There's an explanation for what the gently caress it's doing in hospital (they're using it to help deal with frostbite) but it's not anywhere in the show. I found it in an interview on Vox, of all places.

But if the end of episode six doesn't get your attention, I don't think anything will.