Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhang San
Feb 20, 2018

This has stemmed from a great bad idea of mine where I wanted to set up a fake facebook account to gently troll a group in my local area. I don't want to spend thread legitimising the thoughts behind my actions, but its a group full incel women haters I wanted to infiltrate and ridicule. Regardless of the merits of the above, I started to think about how I might be able to do the whole thing entirely anonymously as a blackhat hacker assassin. :ninja:

Please pick holes in my plan below, and give insightful anecdotes about how easy you find staying anonymous while surfing the internet:
  1. I immediately realise its not feasible to set up my own new Facebook account, as would need to source (a) pictures and profile and (b) (to my discovery after an initial foiled attempt) a sim card for phone verification. I think all sim cards need ID these days and I would also have to spend on an old phone without GPS tracking.

2. Instead decide to buy a fake Facebook account online from a Russian fake news farmer.

3. Visit a convenience store with hood up, but not looking too much like I will rob the place. Buy a $50 prepaid credit card that requires no ID. I think if government really wanted to discover me they could probably track this to to me, but I risk it as I'm not aware of any current white-knight eradication program. I definitely feel like Mr. Robot at this stage.

4. Go home to my nerd cave and:
    1. Install clean OS in virtualbox so no risk of cookies in browser.
    2. Install Firefox and use prepaid card to purchase VPN from our sponsors. For this I need an anonymous e-mail so I sign up to protonmail.
    3. Sign in to VPN and download Tor browser.

At this stage this VirtualBox -> VPN -> Tor seems like overkill and I am not technical enough to know if this has even truly worked. Anyhow I'm now browsing a dogshit slow internet to look for Russian fake news Facebook account sellers. I use duckduckgo to find something rather than any weird onion site.

5. Jackpot. It turns out there are suppliers happy to sell you anything between 1 and 10,000 accounts for Facebook, twitter, soundcloud, etc etc. Payment for my chosen supplier is by CC or various cryptocurrencies. Unfortunately my CC is not accepted by their Russian payments site, so I have to gets Bitcoins.

6. New to Bitcoins, I download a desktop wallet called Electrum, and try to buy with my prepaid CC.

7. Nowhere seems to sell Bitcoins without needing ID for a driving licence and so on. I consider using Photoshop to create fake ID although this feels illegal so I get scared and look for another way.

8. Eventually find somewhere that will let you buy Second Life Linden Dollars with my CC, and then convert those to Bitcoins and withdraw them. There is a 48 hour turnaround because my account was created under suspicious circumstances.

9. I now possess Bitcoins, although at a considerable discount from my initial prepaid CC given all the conversion fees. Being anonymous is expensive.

Lessons learnt so far:
  • The internet inside my VM running a VPN with Tor feels so slow I am bound to make a mistake at some stage and accidentally let loose on my main PC.
  • I think I am probably not that anonymous if my prepay CC can be linked to a particular store that has CCTV.
  • I wonder if all my attempts to go "underground" might even attract more attention without doing any of this.
  • The fake Russian facebook transaction doesn't go through. I think I messed up my Bitcoin payment. I probably need to start again. Maybe this time I will try from a local cyber cafe (do these even exist still?).

Is anyone really successfully able to be anonymous online all of the time, giving up the modern conveniences of a fast browser, using google and allowing cookies etc all seem to make it not worth it.

Posted from my parachute account. :ninja:

Zhang San fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Oooor you could do something more constructive with your time instead of committing several crimes just to...troll some idiots online.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s an interesting thought experiment as long as you accept the Mossad will always be able to find you.

E: what crimes?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i've got a few thoughts but why are you approaching this as a single person? the group's going to be active on other sites as well so how far are you willing to go in infiltrating? how long as you expecting to spend per-day? how long for? what's the end goal?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Fun Fact: There haven't been anonymous prepaid credit/debit cards in the US since the Patriot Act in 2001. You can buy them, but they have to be activated with a valid ID before they can be spent.

Good luck with your money laundering efforts, I hope you teach those incels how wacky they are!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
instead of tor just drive to a place with free wifi (mcdonalds, starbucks) etc and maybe change your mac to something random if you're feeling really paranoid before connecting.

if you need to make a burner facebook account, you don't need a sim card - a VOIP number will work and you can get those for free (e.g. google voice, skype) or just use a service like burner which lets you make a temporary fake number for the purpose of activation.

Zhang San
Feb 20, 2018

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've got a few thoughts but why are you approaching this as a single person? the group's going to be active on other sites as well so how far are you willing to go in infiltrating? how long as you expecting to spend per-day? how long for? what's the end goal?

The end goal is not a take down of some lame facebook group, but was the catalyst for thinking about how difficult it is to genuinely be anonymous online. Turns out not very for what I thought would be a simple enough task. The purpose was to consider online anonymity.

ymgve posted:

Oooor you could do something more constructive with your time instead of committing several crimes just to...troll some idiots online.

Thank you for your contribution. Would it make you feel better if I said I was a Chinese dissident trying to make myself heard on social media? Or a gay muslim living in IS controlled middle east in desperate need of sex toys. Nothing in the OP is illegal, unless you mean "Cyberbullying"

AgentCow007 posted:

Fun Fact: There haven't been anonymous prepaid credit/debit cards in the US since the Patriot Act in 2001. You can buy them, but they have to be activated with a valid ID before they can be spent.

Good luck with your money laundering efforts, I hope you teach those incels how wacky they are!

I didn't know that. I wonder if you could pick up prepaid CC cards in another country for use where no ID was required? From my extensive experience watching The Wire, money laundering at any plausible scale seems much easier using semi-legitimate businesses that handle a lot of cash, e.g. arcades, launderettes and printing shops.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Zhang San posted:

Thank you for your contribution. Would it make you feel better if I said I was a Chinese dissident trying to make myself heard on social media? Or a gay muslim living in IS controlled middle east in desperate need of sex toys. Nothing in the OP is illegal, unless you mean "Cyberbullying"

Yes it would. Because those things are important and effect the world, done by people making a difference, not some loser to scared to "gently troll" some group of idiots online.

How many times a day do you say "owned, epic fail or lol"?

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Personally I think you're putting too much effort into this. Put tails on a flash drive and pop it into a computer, run macchanger and either openvpn to your vpn and go right for it. or use tor. You're better off using a fake number to set up a fake account rather than trying to buy an account. You could always try ParrotSecurityOS (I'm a fan). Then you could boot from usb also and pop on anonymous browsing and then start tor or vpn > tor. As far as obscuring computer identity that's a fairly good way, if you ever got traced back too it'd be a good effort. Also as suggested previously, doing this on a laptop on free wifi somewhere would be a good approach. Just make yourself a facebook account the regular way with any method that doesn't end up pointing to you, google voice numbers would be linked to the google account btw. But yea, there's fake number verification sites and you can still buy cheap phones if that needs to be done. It really shouldn't be too difficult.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Unless you're hiding/stealing top secret stuff or doing something illegal... a VPN should be enough for your purposes. Everything else is overkill. Really, You really don't even need a VPN really unless you think you would be sued by this facebook group.

You're being really paranoid and there's no reason to use virtualization for this and you don't even need a VPN.

The Tor browser, wasn't that hacked by a government agency? I don't remember the details though.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 9, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
https://theintercept.com/2017/02/20/how-to-run-a-rogue-government-twitter-account-with-an-anonymous-email-address-and-a-burner-phone/

But the two things you are trying to do at the same time:
  1. create a convincing fake persona online
  2. have complete anonymity at the level that protects you from everything except targeted gov't investigation
are somewhat mutually contradictory. being truly anonymous on the internet requires being pretty restrained in your use of it, as in the example of a twitter account that leaks info. a good fake internet persona requires spending a bunch of time creating a realistic history of interaction with the platform, which is a hassle if you're trying to stay completely hidden from the platform itself.

in reality facebook does not give a poo poo about fake people, which is why the russians have thousands to sell to an idiot who bought linden dollars and bitcoins. those russian facebook accounts will be paper-thin fakes that are useless for anything but likes and follows and other social media manipulation, which facebook turns a blind eye to because it makes their platform seem bigger and more engaged.

unless you are "trolling" so hard that a judge will sign a subpoena against your troll account, you should just abandon all the idiotic cloak and dagger poo poo and sign in to facebook from home. use your existing account to invite "a friend" (ie your fake troll account) to the platform -- facebook doesn't do all that ID poo poo in that case. they don't care.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
They cover a lot of the stuff that the OP is asking about in The Complete Privacy & Security podcast.

inteltechniques.com/podcast.html

It'll take you a while to go back to the start and get through them all. I used to listen to it quite a bit when I was in a dull factory job. Not so much now. There's some interesting tips throughout the series.

Zhang San
Feb 20, 2018

Oh this is awesome and interesting, and sort of where I was hoping to get to with thread discussion. I was convinced to give up my trolling quest by all the well meaning other posters, but what am I gonna do with my burner prepaid credit card now... :shrug:

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Zhang San posted:

Oh this is awesome and interesting, and sort of where I was hoping to get to with thread discussion. I was convinced to give up my trolling quest by all the well meaning other posters, but what am I gonna do with my burner prepaid credit card now... :shrug:

Liqour and beef jerky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

You want to consider a project like tails.

• Locked thread