Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This MJ stealth mission through the garage is very very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Unmature posted:

Are there any real "spoilers"? I wanna listen to that Giant Bomb review and I just got to the Miles reveal. I figured going into it I've read thousands of Spider-Man comics and don't really expect a game to surprise me, but it might. The Doc Ock thing was unexpected and a nice way to incorporate that character. Finding out, like, Daredevil shows up or something would be cooler to experience in the game, but anything below that wouldn't be a big deal.

There are a fair number of swerves throughout the game that lose some of their impact if you know they're coming, although none of them are on the level of a surprise cameo from outside the typical Spider-Man supporting cast. I'd be careful about spoilers until you've cleared story mode.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah i'm liking it too. loving the implication of emotional bonds pete has with otto and how it sounds like otto and aunt may have some kinda past going on and you know at some point, either this game or next, poo poo is going get wild.

For those of you who aren't huge nerds, May and Otto did in fact almost get married at one point in the comics, because he wanted her inheritance I think? She still thinks he was a nice man and afaik doesn't know he's also Ock

Edit guess I'll spoiler a forty year old story

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Game is fun but fighting big groups can be real annoying. Some of the wave fights go on for too long, and having lots of guys at range with guns shooting at you is just no fun.

What really bothers me is that if somebody shoots at you and you press circle, you hop 5 feet to the left and dodge all the bullets.

But if someone is about to shoot at you and you use triangle to web-zip yourself 50 feet to the left, somehow the gunner tracks your movement perfectly and nails you the second you come out of the web-zip.

That's dumb. I should be able to zip-punch around as a form of dodging.

And the dodge timing is kinda wonky, they put the spider sense indicator way before the attack which makes me dodge early and then I get smacked in the face as soon as I come out of dodge. That's super misleading. Kinda wish I could turn the spidey sense indicators off as a result.

TMMadman posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I think there are too many thugs with guns.

I just don't like when you do one of the little crime token things and then all of a sudden the backup force arrives and it's like 2 of the big thugs and 2 machine guns and 2 pistols.

Agree

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

For those of you who aren't huge nerds, May and Otto did in fact get married at one point in the comics, because he wanted her inheritance I think? She still thinks he was a nice man and afaik doesn't know he's also Ock

yeah. i know. but in the game its implied they had some prior history, like some pre-ben hookup or something when they were normal, which is nice. when in the comics it was just doc ock doing comic booky evil things.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm loving the fact that this is basically the 1st game in a bigger universe :allears:

Gimme Spider Man 2 :hellyeah:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol, some of these random tweets

"it'd be kinda weird if NYCWallCrawler was just webbing up rando ppl's backbacks..."

"Spider-Man, we love you and everything, but my husband and I could've sworn you were stealing backpacks today...you need money?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A tip I learned from a loading screen is that double-tapping L1 switches between your two recent gadgets do you don't have to bring up the gadget wheel. In the early game when you only have the Web Shot and Impact Webbing (and maybe the Drone if you pre-ordered) it's awesome.

Zaphod42 posted:

Game is fun but fighting big groups can be real annoying. Some of the wave fights go on for too long, and having lots of guys at range with guns shooting at you is just no fun.

I'm still fairly early into the game but I feel the opposite about the wave fights. It's exactly what I've wanted in a Spider-Man game: a zillion dudes to fight. Same as with Arkham, I couldn't wait to get into massive fights. The last Fisk Hideout I did, it gave me the option to retry and I seriously considered it just to play it again. Wish there was a way to replay stuff in general but that's a complaint I have about a lot of brawler games.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 8, 2018

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wanderer posted:

Just Square. Spidey won't attack pedestrians. He gives them high-fives and finger guns instead.

Haha the one button I didn't try because I didn't want to be a dick. Thanks!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1038317456044052480?s=20

(watch the doors)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Are enemies outside of the story mission harder or am I just super terrible at combat in this, because I lose like 3/4 of the fights I'm getting into while wandering around the city and unlocking towers.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ytlaya posted:

lol, some of these random tweets

"it'd be kinda weird if NYCWallCrawler was just webbing up rando ppl's backbacks..."

"Spider-Man, we love you and everything, but my husband and I could've sworn you were stealing backpacks today...you need money?"

I like how one of them has a Fisk Science Trophy in it and he talks about how he got a lifetime supply of backpacks. It was right after I was sitting there thinking, "Dammit, Pete, you could afford rent if you didn't keep losing backpacks so often," after his landlord called to yell at him about the rent and an eviction notice.

This game. :allears:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
General takeaway is that the combat is adequate but kinda weak.

It apes the Arkham games but lacks the polish and consideration those games had.

The best I could describe it is that Arkham clearly had the combat designed first then the worlds wrapped around it. I'd even go as far to say that each single part of the map is individually designed around the combat that occurs or might occur there (or never will).

This game on the other hand is the opposite. You've got clone stamped areas and fights that take place in areas not designed for combat. As a result the camera gets obscured, you lose sight of what's going on, the fighting gets messy when there's too many enemies and it all comes off like a cheap knockoff instead.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kin posted:

It apes the Arkham games but lacks the polish and consideration those games had.

The best I could describe it is that Arkham clearly had the combat designed first then the worlds wrapped around it. I'd even go as far to say that each single part of the map is individually designed around the combat that occurs or might occur there (or never will).

This game on the other hand is the opposite. You've got clone stamped areas and fights that take place in areas not designed for combat. As a result the camera gets obscured, you lose sight of what's going on, the fighting gets messy when there's too many enemies and it all comes off like a cheap knockoff instead.

Still better than the other Spider-Man games out there.

Also, who cares if it's not 100% like Arkham? I kind of hate that those games came out because now everyone will want every other superhero game to be JUST like them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kin posted:

i disagree. playing the game like arkham will get you killed. spider-man encourages you way more to experiment and be quick, use the environment and dodge constantly. also use different web shots and throw baddies.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Kin posted:

I still have loads of fun with it. I think I'm about to say I enjoy Spidey's combat more than the Arkham games at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP4yp-qAxtE

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Kin posted:

I'd argue it's more that the combat system is somewhat back-loaded and counterintuitive, especially if you've been playing other games recently.

There are a lot of go-to moves that are locked behind skills which make a lot of the petty annoyances easier, particularly the one that slows down time after a Perfect Dodge. The gadgets also go a long way towards evening the odds. You're really weak early on, but once you have some levels under your belt and can drop web bombs, things get a lot easier.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Trying out photo mode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
One thing that I'm not crazy about and really adjusting to is how vulnerable you are mid-animations in this game. If you press L1+R1 to grab an object and whip it around, you're very open to being shot with a gun or rocket while you're whipping it around.

Same story with using your L3+R3 suit powers, some of them have wind-up animations and you're totally a sitting duck for a rocket to take out 80% of your life bar while you're mid animation.

I guess I just gotta treat this more like dark souls, which I mean, I love souls but I just really didn't expect that from a super hero game. I expected invincibility frames during long animations, and the ability to dodge-cancel out of anything. Hrm.

Its a very complex technical trick to render building interiors "fake" without having to actually model all those interiors and have them take up game space.

It does mean its inconsistent if you stop and look at it, but unless you really test it, its very convincing and way better than just opaque windows.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm at this early mission where I have to kill some Fisk men at a construction site, but one dude is inside a building and I have no idea how to get to him. No idea how he got in there.

edit: I reloaded and was able to do it

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 8, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lobok posted:

I'm still fairly early into the game but I feel the opposite about the wave fights. It's exactly what I've wanted in a Spider-Man game: a zillion dudes to fight. Same as with Arkham, I couldn't wait to get into massive fights. The last Fisk Hideout I did, it gave me the option to retry and I seriously considered it just to play it again. Wish there was a way to replay stuff in general but that's a complaint I have about a lot of brawler games.

There is a way to replay stuff, at least some stuff. The fisk hideouts have a blue circle somewhere if you stand in you can press a button to redo them.

I imagine the crimes will just happen every so often and eventually repeat.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Got the game played for about an hour or two, its fun as hell, I laughed my rear end off at the Spider-Cop stuff but goddamnit I want the Scarlet Spider costume ho do I get it?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spidey is happy the person impersonating him isn't a "lethal protector" :3:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Spider-man after he just kicked the last bad guy off a 20 story rooftop: You guys are going to jail.

Me to the TV screen: Except that last guy. He's going to the morgue.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Gaz2k21 posted:

Got the game played for about an hour or two, its fun as hell, I laughed my rear end off at the Spider-Cop stuff but goddamnit I want the Scarlet Spider costume ho do I get it?

it’s one of the the first costumes you can unlock, just keep playing

TMMadman posted:

lmao

Spider-man after he just kicked the last bad guy off a 20 story rooftop: You guys are going to jail.

Me to the TV screen: Except that last guy. He's going to the morgue.

Spidey webs all those guys to the building somehow, if you crawl down after knocking guys off you’ll find them attached further down somewhere

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked the costume party, because I had just gotten the wrestler suit and decided to put that on for the mission to make it more believable as a lovely low-effort college party costume.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm fighting the first guy with the whips. How much time would you say I have in the main campaign?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zaphod42 posted:

There is a way to replay stuff, at least some stuff. The fisk hideouts have a blue circle somewhere if you stand in you can press a button to redo them.

Ohhhh snap. Definitely going to be doing this. Thanks!

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
My partner got this for me as an early birthday gift and gently caress me this game whips rear end. Between playing on hard and dudes not doing Arkham style choreographed/waiting their turn attacks, this feels like the logical conclusion in all these brawler games we've had the last few years. I've played a million of these things and now they're finally realistically dogpiling me? All the more reason to hit everyone with car doors.

This game went from good to great when (non story spoiler) Jameson had a panic attack regarding my punk costume.

My only real complaint is the preorder bonus, as with every game these days, decides to throw you later game goodies at the front. But that ain't really Spidey's fault, just the industry around him. I'm forcing myself not to use the Iron Spider suit until it feels thematically badass, until then I'll just pull a guitar out of my rear end every fight.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Overwatch has that happen too. It is a shader trick that makes a flat surface look like a full room, since you can just liberally apply it wherever sometimes people forget to make sure everything makes sense.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I've collected all the backpacks and wish there were more of them with more Spidey talking about his rogues and the Marvel Universe in general, that's what I loved most about the Arkham games honestly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

free hubcaps posted:

Spidey webs all those guys to the building somehow, if you crawl down after knocking guys off you’ll find them attached further down somewhere

Sometimes if you follow the guy down, you can see something like one of the trip mines go off and web-zip the dude to the nearest wall.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, that's a little weird, but the assumption seems to be that once Miles found out, he told everybody, and they believed him.

It happens during the scene in question, Peter very briefly sees him there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

These MJ sections loving blow huge chunks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

These MJ sections loving blow huge chunks.

They last all of five minutes and are Babby's First Stealth Game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Only did one and they don't seem that bad. Also you can take a selfie as her in photo mode as well.

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!
Holding L2 for slow mo during combat has completely changed how I play. Makes the gadgets a thousand times more fun and useful: get some distance, slow time, and pick the worst threat.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I thought I hosed up a trip mine by slapping it on the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65xPyM2G2g

Oh. :stare:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Combat has gotten somewhat easier now that I've started doing aerial combos constantly.

Regarding the tutorial fight near the beginning, Fisk is usually just a normal unpowered human, right? It's goofy that he can fight against Spiderman at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Combat has gotten somewhat easier now that I've started doing aerial combos constantly.

Regarding the tutorial fight near the beginning, Fisk is usually just a normal unpowered human, right? It's goofy that he can fight against Spiderman at all.

Nah he's been shown multiple times to just be an absolute monster strength wise