Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That "spin around and shoot web" move is hilarious. It will instantly take out all but like 2-3 of any large group of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Oxxidation posted:

why yuri lowenthal for spider man

i'd almost rather have toby maguire back

i will never escape you, sasuke

Please watch the cutscenes for SM2, Toby Maguire was loving awful

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Oxxidation posted:

why yuri lowenthal for spider man

i'd almost rather have toby maguire back

i will never escape you, sasuke

Would that make Kingpin his Naruto?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Please watch the cutscenes for SM2, Toby Maguire was loving awful

i said "almost"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/kylegaddo/status/1038576935989903361

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Picture Mode is the best

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Doing the lab missions really gives the impression that New York is about to be eradicated on a regular basis if not for Spider Man releasing or sealing various gasses.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Peter, you gotta do a buncha farts in Central Park! It's for the trees or something!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Mary Jane owns a Spider-man plushie with the white spider on it, which bothers me because he's only had that costume for like a week and change in-game

also I've had two crashes on PS4

also if you haven't tried wallrunning straight up a series of fire escapes, I highly recommend it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bootleggers work fast, man.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Mary Jane owns a Spider-man plushie with the white spider on it, which bothers me because he's only had that costume for like a week and change in-game

Turns out SpiderNerdAmy has an Etsy. Who knew.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Whoops, did For She’s a Jolly Good Fellow and then got carried away and did all the towers and landmarks and backpacks. Well, there’s the secret landmarks too I guess.

Having fun so far. I like that you can do all precision web swinging or get to places by just hammering X and R2 and pointing where you want to go.

Also the squeaky shoes when running on glass are The Best.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waffleman_ posted:

Bootleggers work fast, man.

Yeah, you could probably buy those at any subway entrance within 24 hours of someone putting a photo on Instagram, or whatever the in universe version of that is.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Obligatory "photo mode rules" post

https://twitter.com/HebrewMagic/status/1038323503424888834?s=19

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

really love how this game handles the MJ/Peter relationship. it’s so well done and realistic and gives
MJ such agency

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mandrel posted:

really love how this game handles the MJ/Peter relationship. it’s so well done and realistic and gives
MJ such agency

this is the first time a non-comic MJ felt 'right'. She's cool, she genuinely cares deeply for Pete but also is very sick of spending her life worrying if he's gonna get gutted by some guy in a weird costume every night, and she can be kinda a badass herself too. Also the actress doing her is very good too.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also I've had two crashes on PS4

also if you haven't tried wallrunning straight up a series of fire escapes, I highly recommend it

I feel like they really meant to stretch the game over a longer period of time, having now finished it.

The doc ock turn, for example, is built up over the course of the first half of the game, but given that the first half of the game is like... A week, tops, it feels really bizarre.

Like Otto goes from having a bit of trouble with a humanoid limb to designing four huge gently caress off tentacle arms that work perfectly in a matter of days. There is a lot of little stuff that just feels like it could have benefitted from breathing.

The miles thing was handled reasonably well, but I feel like they probably should have found a better time for it, or had a payoff in this game. It feels a lot like the justice league cameos in bvs. Nothing but sequel bait, but it happens during the climax so it feels out of place.

I also would have preferred a villain plan that makes sense but Otto is crazy enough that it works I guess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

this is the first time a non-comic MJ felt 'right'. She's cool, she genuinely cares deeply for Pete but also is very sick of spending her life worrying if he's gonna get gutted by some guy in a weird costume every night, and she can be kinda a badass herself too. Also the actress doing her is very good too.

yeah. plus she has had to heal him or drag him to the hospital like 30 times judging by their conversations.

also is vulture always such a jobber ?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

About Kingpin, my favourite detail about him from the old comics is that the main vault he had in his building wasn't even locked. The door was just so goddammed heavy he didn't expect anyone but him to be able to open it.

The only thing I don't like about MJ in this game is that being a Bugle reporter kinda means Betty Brant is nothing.

Infinitum posted:

Cheers Youtube for posting a secret ending video, with screencap highlights, after I watch a non-related video :thumbsup:

The sooner everyone realizes that YouTube is trash, the better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
loving taskmaster spy cams

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lobok posted:

The only thing I don't like about MJ in this game is that being a Bugle reporter kinda means Betty Brant is nothing.

I mean she has gotten to be superfluous over the years, not so much in that she's a woman or a love interest but in that she occupies several roles already filled by at least have a dozen people

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Cheers Youtube for posting a secret ending video, with screencap highlights, after I watch a non-related video :thumbsup:

What's the psychology behind this? I see it all the time, not just for games. Spoil 50% of something so the viewer can just say "gently caress it they ruined it already, may as well find out the rest"? Does that actually get views?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Again, EVERY. GAME. should have photo mode. Like it should be a mandatory thing now. Mario Odyssey had it, Horizon Zero Dawn had it, God of War, Spiderman, No Man's Sky, Breath of the Wild, apparently Witcher 3 got one at some point, Smash Bros will sort of have one.

Photo mode should be an industry standard from now on

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. plus she has had to heal him or drag him to the hospital like 30 times judging by their conversations.

also is vulture always such a jobber ?

yea I loved when she was checking out Fisk's museum donations her first thought looking at the katana was 'oh this is what he sliced Pete open with, that was the first time I had to patch him up'. Girl's seen some poo poo and it shows.

Also yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Deified Data posted:

What's the psychology behind this? I see it all the time, not just for games. Spoil 50% of something so the viewer can just say "gently caress it they ruined it already, may as well find out the rest"? Does that actually get views?

Presumably they're made for people that want to see that stuff, but YouTube's algorithm exposes them to everyone else it identifies as potentially interested in the topic

(I also had a bunch of spoilers show up on my feed today, despite not even particularly caring about the game)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 9, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spoilers: Spider-Man is a cool guy with cool secret handshakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9WuRFNaPQg

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I really appreciate coming right off the heels of playing Yakuza 0 is that combat is not instanced in any way, nor does it change the controls at all. The things you can do out in the world normally you can do in a fight as well, like webswing or charged jump or web zip.

Nodosaur posted:

I mean she has gotten to be superfluous over the years, not so much in that she's a woman or a love interest but in that she occupies several roles already filled by at least have a dozen people

Truth. I thought her being a club owner was a good idea. Actress is a poor fit for a character who's supposed to be in Peter's world. Such an awkward career for developing plots that eventually always lead to crime and the underworld. There are only so many sleazy producers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lobok posted:

One thing I really appreciate coming right off the heels of playing Yakuza 0 is that combat is not instanced in any way, nor does it change the controls at all. The things you can do out in the world normally you can do in a fight as well, like webswing or charged jump or web zip.

Truth. I thought her being a club owner was a good idea. Actress is a poor fit for a character who's supposed to be in Peter's world. Such an awkward career for developing plots that eventually always lead to crime and the underworld. There are only so many sleazy producers.

are you talking about Betty or MJ at this point?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nodosaur posted:

are you talking about Betty or MJ at this point?

MJ. I thought at first you meant Betty but then you edited your post and it sounded more like MJ.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want a DLC where I play as Shocker. His explosion-based web-slinging equivalent looks fun.

Also I thought Shocker shot electricity. Apparently this one doesn't. Did he design his own suit?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Doing a mission where you have to reroute satellite dishes and it uses the mechanics straight out of Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal :allears:

Also I think one of of the tricks is named after the skater dude from the first R&C too

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I want a DLC where I play as Shocker. His explosion-based web-slinging equivalent looks fun.

Also I thought Shocker shot electricity. Apparently this one doesn't. Did he design his own suit?

electro was the electricity guy

shocker is for "shockwaves," his gauntlets emit kinetic force

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ytlaya posted:

Nah,that's Electro. His gimmick is some kind of sonic vibration gauntlets (that he built), with a special suit (that he also built) to protect him from said vibrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

People in Marvel are so casually genius that a dude can design incredibly powerful vibro-gauntlets from scraps while in jail and only rise up to the level of being Shocker.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lobok posted:

People in Marvel are so casually genius that a dude can design incredibly powerful vibro-gauntlets from scraps while in jail and only rise up to the level of being Shocker.

I think it was brought up earlier in the thread but yea him being a genuine genius who's life is held back by his criminal record even when he tries to go straight is a genuine storyline in the comics.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Caros posted:

Like Otto goes from having a bit of trouble with a humanoid limb to designing four huge gently caress off tentacle arms that work perfectly in a matter of days. There is a lot of little stuff that just feels like it could have benefitted from breathing.[/spoiler]

In fairness, Peter says straight-up in one of those scenes that Otto got in bed with AIM, Advanced Idea Mechanics. I don't think they're in the MCU yet aside from "Agents of SHIELD," but they're an organization of evil super-scientists. With them in his corner, he could've leapfrogged a lot of his development time in a very short period.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Otto got in bed with AIM, Advanced Idea Mechanics. I don't think they're in the MCU yet aside from "Agents of SHIELD," but they're an organization of evil super-scientists. With them in his corner, he could've leapfrogged a lot of his development time in a very short period.

Actually, they were in the MCU. Iron Man 3, AKA the really bad one, had the "Mandarin" (a pasty white guy played by Guy Pearce) be in charge of AIM.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sexpig by night posted:

I think it was brought up earlier in the thread but yea him being a genuine genius who's life is held back by his criminal record even when he tries to go straight is a genuine storyline in the comics.

I think I just prefer people in Marvel being smarter. Like the number of people who can create fully functioning robots makes robotics seem on the level of baking cupcakes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VolticSurge posted:

Actually, they were in the MCU. Iron Man 3, AKA the really bad one, had the "Mandarin" (a pasty white guy played by Guy Pearce) be in charge of AIM.
Uhhhhhhhh Iron Man 3 was a movie directed by Shane Black, it was actually really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Uhhhhhhhh Iron Man 3 was a movie directed by Shane Black, it was actually really good

It had one of the worst child performances since Phantom Menace. And the plot required nearly everyone to be stupid for it to happen. Why did they let the Iron Patriot onboard AIR FORCE loving ONE when he wasn't acting like Rhodes at all? Don't they have secret handshakes/code-words for this kind of thing?