Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...0908-story.html

Other reports show she doesn’t accept his online apology, and says she’s never gotten anything personal from Shane or the cast.

I think straight up everyone knew that this movie wasn’t going to be a mega hit, it wasn’t tracking too well early on, the teaser trailer was really bad, reshoots, script changes...and now this. The film is straight up tainted now and since this keeps getting bigger and bigger, it’s going to be its legacy.

I can imagine everyone is pretty bummed, if not pissed about this. It’s Shane’s fault, but now the whole ship is going down with everyone on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The hosed up thing is, the movie was going to be poo poo whether this whole thing ever happened or not. But now the studio and Black get to wash their hands of any guilt and foist all the loss on the controversy and Munn for starting it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The hosed up thing is, the movie was going to be poo poo whether this whole thing ever happened or not. But now the studio and Black get to wash their hands of any guilt and foist all the loss on the controversy and Munn for starting it.

Yeah this is what'll happen :(

Also, I'm sure you're all dying to know that I've only seen Munn in Her and she did a fine job.

e: After checking IMDB, that's Olivia Wilde. I've apparently not seen Munn in anything.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 9, 2018

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

She was good with a very limited character in Magic Mike

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's hilarious. Like genuinely funny.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Of the I think two women to portray the X-Men's Psylocke in a major motion picture, Munn had I think more lines.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I'm not part of SAG, but I am part of a sister guild here in LA. I know personally of several people passed over for work because they didn't clear background checks. I had a background check when began work for a major studio.

So yes, the claim that a studio isn't allowed to do background checks is complete bullshit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That's a pretty powerful stance. Pretty rare to see an actor totally disown a film like that before it's even released.

Hope nothing gross happened behind the scenes..

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

She's hilarious. Like genuinely funny.

Yeah I liked her segments on the Daily Show

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Das Boo posted:

So I'm not part of SAG, but I am part of a sister guild here in LA. I know personally of several people passed over for work because they didn't clear background checks. I had a background check when began work for a major studio.

So yes, the claim that a studio isn't allowed to do background checks is complete bullshit.

Yours has always been a de facto exception. They did one on me for one day of set work

But not for Dan Schneider of course

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hmm, I wonder why Moretz is having such a strong reaction to disowning the fil--

quote:

C.K. plays television writer and producer Glen Topher, who becomes disconcerted after his teenage daughter (Moretz) is seduced by a much older film director (Malkovich).

I see.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Alan Smithee posted:

Yours has always been a de facto exception. They did one on me for one day of set work

But not for Dan Schneider of course

Dan Schneider's background check would still come up clean today.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.35e3c7c9fa6b

Six more women came out against Moonves today and he announced he is resigning.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What the gently caress is wrong with these people? Doing this poo poo even once is a horrible, horrible thing. Doing it over and over again is just unthinkable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PT6A posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people? Doing this poo poo even once is a horrible, horrible thing. Doing it over and over again is just unthinkable.

Predators pretty much never do this sort of thing just once, that's part of what makes them predators.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Predators pretty much never do this sort of thing just once, that's part of what makes them predators.

Yeah that's true, but at the same time -- and I don't mean to downplay the seriousness of sexual harassment or assault -- it is understandable, though not excusable, that a person could have one extremely serious lapse in judgement on one occasion and do something horrible. I mean, I imagine we've all done things that we wish we hadn't done and would take back if given the chance; not necessarily sexual harassment or even anything criminal, just bad poo poo that may have upset or hurt someone. It stands to reason that, for some people, that Thing They Did is on the extreme end of unacceptable behaviour, and while that's no excuse, it is at least somewhat understandable how it can happen, and I can have some degree of empathy for that even if I abhor the behaviour in question.

The fact that there is no regret, no remorse, no attempt at making amends, and a pattern of repeated behaviour, is where it crosses the line into behaviour I can't even understand. It's completely alien to me how a person does that sort of thing. Obviously it's not particularly rare, it's just a corner of the human experience I lack any insight into.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rape is about power.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rape is about power.

Rape is sometimes about power, but in cases like this, I think it's more that wealth and power reveal the sort of person that somebody truly is, and some people are real lovely people.

CelticPredator posted:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...0908-story.html

Other reports show she doesn’t accept his online apology, and says she’s never gotten anything personal from Shane or the cast.

I think straight up everyone knew that this movie wasn’t going to be a mega hit, it wasn’t tracking too well early on, the teaser trailer was really bad, reshoots, script changes...and now this. The film is straight up tainted now and since this keeps getting bigger and bigger, it’s going to be its legacy.

I can imagine everyone is pretty bummed, if not pissed about this. It’s Shane’s fault, but now the whole ship is going down with everyone on it.

The whole mess is entirely Shane Black's fault, but it's easier to blame the very visible person who spoke out about the situation, rather than the person who created it.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 11, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sucrose posted:

The whole mess is entirely Shane Black's fault, but it's easier to blame the very visible person who spoke out about the situation, rather than the person who created it.

Munn spreading conspiracy theories about Fox ignoring her for two days (they weren't, their legal team was doing the responsible thing by researching her allegations) and publicly trashing Shane Black even after he apologized are certainly influencing the negative reviews.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
gently caress off.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rape is about power.

Is this why you keep posting?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slutitution posted:

Munn spreading conspiracy theories about Fox ignoring her for two days (they weren't, their legal team was doing the responsible thing by researching her allegations) and publicly trashing Shane Black even after he apologized are certainly influencing the negative reviews.

So we're blaming the woman who was put in the bad situation now?

Awesome.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

So we're blaming the woman who was put in the bad situation now?

Awesome.

It's not her, but the bad actors out there using her to dismiss the film entirely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slutitution posted:

Is this why you keep posting?

This ain't it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Slutitution posted:

It's not her, but the bad actors out there using her to dismiss the film entirely.

That’s explicitly not what you said just two posts ago.

Piss off please.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Slutitution posted:

No one ever gave a poo poo about the movie, nor should they in this particular context. We could be talking about Christopher Robin and the point would still be the same.

Also, gently caress off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I give a poo poo about it. :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I hear the movie is bad

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

K. Waste posted:

We could be talking about Christopher Robin and the point would still be the same.

No one told Ewan McGregor that Winnie would do the entire movie without wearing pants.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

No one told Ewan McGregor that Winnie would do the entire movie without wearing pants.

Based off his former roles he would join him pantless

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In which Norm Macdonald reveals he has bad opinions about pretty much every political and #metoo-related thing:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-norm-macdonalds-new-talk-show-wont-target-trump-1141832

This has so far cost Macdonald a Tonight Show booking.

I've noticed that in another recent interview, Macdonald appears to have a handler present. While it's probably tough to watch close friends admit to wrongdoing, and in Roseanne's case develop brainworms (from all accounts Roseanne used to be a progressive, not a Q nazi), I also get sick of celebs trying to work an apolitical brand reveal that they're not apolitical, just nearsighted and ignorant of politics.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's what apolitical means.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, being apolitical now just kinda means being ignorant. Politics isn't just stupid arguments. It's peoples lives.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
By definition an apolitical person defends the status quo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I agree. It always bears itself out when you get a celebrity who claims they don't want to talk about politics on their show.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

By definition an apolitical person defends the status quo.

And this implicitly encourages people not to vote. Of course, then you get that loving knob Russell Brand telling people "not to vote." gently caress off, like.
As is the "they're all the same." That's just lazy criticism,

To not vote is a vote for the status quo, and people with a platform to preach about how they're "apolitical," or telling people not to vote, well, they're clearly doing well in the current status quo, and they're discouraging you from engaging in politics from their ivory towers.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan Smithee posted:

I hear the movie is bad

I hear the Predator saves Olivia Munn from human predators. C/D?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Slutitution posted:

I hear the Predator saves Olivia Munn from human predators. C/D?

She helps him buy his Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Being completely bent out of shape about Norm's comments is hilarious and a perfect microcosm about what's broken here. Everyone treats any sort of sympathy as a zero-sum game, so the mere hint of an expression that people have had entire careers destroyed and how absolutely psychologically destructive on an infathomable level that must be somehow means that he's stealing righteous sympathy from the victims. It's asinine. He's not saying they weren't wrong, hell, he's not even saying that they don't deserve it.

Just so we know exactly what was apparently so heinous:

Norm posted:

Well, Louis [C.K.] and Roseanne [Barr] are the two people I know. And Roseanne was so broken up [after her show's reboot was canceled] that I got Louis to call her, even though Roseanne was very hard on Louis before that. But she was just so broken and just crying constantly. There are very few people that have gone through what they have, losing everything in a day. Of course, people will go, "What about the victims?" But you know what? The victims didn't have to go through that.