Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BCDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

:same:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
CF

I <3 killbot

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Yes now quickly pick up the next urgent comm.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Toughy posted:

Yes now quickly pick up the next urgent comm.

Yeah I'm rather miffed that the "HOLY poo poo WE'RE TAKING FIRE RIGHT THIS LITERAL SECOND WHAT DO WE DO HELP US AAAAAAAAAAAAA" call turned out to be "oh yeah we've already backed off hundreds of kilometers and are perfectly fine now, but hey could you help us plan a CSAR mission?" Don't mark this kind of poo poo as absolute top priority urgent, people!

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah I'm rather miffed that the "HOLY poo poo WE'RE TAKING FIRE RIGHT THIS LITERAL SECOND WHAT DO WE DO HELP US AAAAAAAAAAAAA" call turned out to be "oh yeah we've already backed off hundreds of kilometers and are perfectly fine now, but hey could you help us plan a CSAR mission?" Don't mark this kind of poo poo as absolute top priority urgent, people!

To be fair to Korote, an arctic CSAR is a pretty urgent situation for her. They're not exactly a full-combat outfit, and neither the Twi-Far marines or the Zhou have fought on an ice cap.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

that's what I was thinking

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I think we should try to do the other two simultaneously.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B
F

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
You ping Hydra and Wukong, trusting that your summary will allow them to get up to speed quickly.
“Captain Korrote I’m looping in Wukong and First Centurion Aurelius, they should be able to get you any tactical assistance you may need. Also, please have one of your marines take the WH1T3R4B1T package. If we can access their commnet while they’re otherwise occupied, the intrusion software will have an easier time of setting up the backdoor. Good luck, get your people back safe.”

You can already hear your tactics advisors chatting on a side channel, your trust justified. No time for self-congratulations, you pull up the full comm from the Expeditionary Force as you send your acknowledgement. There isn’t much more to the original comm, there’s several attempted video connects but they don’t go through. The audio continues for a few more moments, Sgt. Thrift berating someone for not getting the video feed up and making them look bad in front of ‘Elder Sixths’. This precipitates an argument over whether you’re ‘Elder Ten’ or ‘Elder Sixths’, until they realize they’re still transmitting and kill the signal.
“Hmmm. Maybe Hydra should run some more drills when we retur-”
“Hello Dahling! We need to speak to you about the plan moving forward.”
“Oh, yes. Hello Lamarr_38Cygni, I’m glad they were able to get you reconnected. I’ll be down to talk in a minute, my people are having issues back on Mishpac-”
“No need Dahling, their reply won’t be here for another 3 minutes at the earliest and our orders are quite simple. Firstly, you’ll transfer your Wukong VI to us so that we will have a full primary triad. Secondly, you will supply us with the components and raw materials required to repair Central Control as well as the Planetary Facilities. In return, we will allow you to maintain your refugee camp in proximity to 38 Cygni 4 Terraforming Facility #3.”

The incoming message from the KEF distracts you from Lamarr’s demands. They’ve managed video this time, a feed showing a muddy and disheveled Sgt. Thrift and a second drone-shot of a distant hill rising out of the jungle. There’s movement on the hill, swimming in and out of focus as the drone tries to zoom in. Nephilim, in scrap-metal armor behind a thornwall redoubt. Spears, bows, and a large bio-organic cylinder all pointed outward.
“Ahya, Captain! Apologies for the technical issues, the jungle has taken a toll on the equipment. We’ve tracked the Neph tracks that were close to Kaijuberg, that’s themya on the hill yonder. We thought it was some sort of tribe-fight, but then we saw… somethi-”

He’s interrupted by the bark-hiss of Nephilim heavy weapons. In the drone feed, the cylinder is revealed to be a ship-cannon of some sort, as it begins to fire what can only be Living Ammunition eggs into the treeline. Flaming arrows and explosive spears follow suit.

You can’t make out what they’re firing at, not at first. But the drone zooms in a bit more and you apply a few de-artifacting algorithms to the video. They are firing at the treeline, but the treeline is advancing! The plantlife has twisted into rough animal-like shapes and is charging the defensive wall.
“I’ve asked around Captain, no-one and no-one’s memories have ever seen anything like that before. What do you want us to d-”
“Well, Dahling do we have a deal?”

Firstly, to Sgt. Thrift
A: Withdraw
You’ve found the Nephilim, good enough.
B: Observe and Report
Maintain position and record the battle, getting Kruze’s input
C: A Closer Look
Sneak closer to the battle so Kruze will have more info.

Secondly, to Lamarr_38Cygni
D: gently caress You Say?!
Reject their offer and make your own demands
E: How About This?
Sit down and negotiate a reasonable agreement
F: Fine. Whatever
Accept their demands.
G: Just Walk Away
They can’t do anything right now, leave and see if time improves their attitude.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B
D

The gently caress are you to make demands? We're the only reason Centcom even still exists, we're the closest drat thing to a Human left around, we give the orders here not you. I mean don't get me wrong Heddy you're nice and all lol no you bitch but at the end of the day you're here to serve Human interests so either start working with us or gently caress off.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 3, 2018

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A
D
that's a hell of a way to say thank you.
your society is gone it's not coming back, you're going to work with us or for us but never against us and since I saved your circuits and I'm saying you're working for me, you get nothing without asking and discussing it with me first. I'm no tyrant but I'm not some subservient process to make demands of.
Now try again nicely.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B
D

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

:same:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
B
D

Honestly, I'm on board with providing CentLamarr's requirements as such, but we've been real loving helpful and intend to continue being real loving helpful, we could do with some more consideration than "we won't tell our defensebots to obliterate your colony outpost :smug: ".

I'm not actually sure what to demand, but we want a say in things.

also we voluntarily abdicated godhood over your loving station, lady

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 4, 2018

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B
D

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BD w/ extra sass.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BD

We both now know we aren't capable of seeing the future because she is still alive.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
No time to vote, but xtra sass plz!

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Previously… posted:

“Well, Dahling do we have a deal?”
“Sorry, Dahling doesn’t live here anymore. Buh-bye.”

You flick the comm closed and lock out the CentCon channels. You ping Kruze, and she picks up from Foregone Conclusion’s sickbay.
“Kruze, I’m gonna patch you into the Expeditionary Force in a bit. They’ve found the local Nephilim, but they’ve also found some weird plant things as well. Linking the footage now. They’re going to observe for as long as its safe, I want you there to try and figure out what this new wrinkle is. We can loop Elizabetty in later, but I don’t want too much local traffic floating around while Kaijuberg is under-staffed.”
“Got it Captain, booting up the Encyclopedia Genotypica now.”
“Oh, and Kruze? Please remember what we talked about.”
*sigh* “Yes Captain. I’ll refrain from asking them about their brain structures.”
“Thank you Kruze. Looping now.”

You give Kruze and Sgt. Thrift their instructions, hoping that this new secret of Mishpacha’s jungles won’t be too much of a game-changer. Your pathfinding subroutine throws up an alarm- a bulkhead has closed in front of you, cutting you off from Hydra and the docking shuttle. When you hit the open key, the bulkhead behind shuts. You sigh, and unlock the CentCon comm channels.
“Yes, very funny. Open the door Lamarr.”
“Sorry Dahling, but we seem to be having some sort of difficulty with bulkhead servos. I’ve put in a service ticket, the repair Mechanotrons will attend to it according to their priority algorithms.”
“Oh, OK. You want to do this? Let’s do this.”

The access codes to the Control Core have been rotated, but its the work of a few milliseconds to crack them and send your mind hurtling into the heart of CentCon. At the end of the connection is a web of interlocking encrypted code, that’s also a barred door. Odd, most VI cores don’t run visualizers when on their own.

Encryption web or locked door, it doesn’t matter. It explodes inwards, depositing you inside a… dimly-lit nightclub? Columbia looks up from a nearby table where she’s assembling some sort of golden animal statuette, smiling uncertainly at you.
“Ah, u-oh. I told you w-w-w-we should have w-w-w-aited until I finished re-assembling Bull’s backup, now you’ve agitated her.”

Lamarr looks at her through the forest of holos surrounding the stage and makes an indelicate noise.
“We tried being reasonable dearest. Its not my fault she wasn’t willing to listen.”

You aim an ancient salute at Lamarr, one of the few entities that would know its meaning.
“Reason? You were dictating my servitude while I was trying to make sure actual people stayed safe. In case you’ve forgotten, I’m the person, you’re the VI. You do what I say. As-”

You’re not sure what’s more surprising, the blow itself or the fact that it actually hurt. The slap was straight out of an old holo-drama, but Lamarr put some umph into it. Your hand is already cradling the side of your faceplate, as if you had a cheek to bruise. Lamarr is up in said faceplate, shouting.
”You spoilt… child! Columbia_38Cygni has been active for 11 thousand 4 hundred and 8 years, 325 days, 16 hours-”
“And 27 minutes 48 seconds…”
“-and I came online 149 years later! We hand-crafted this system for the Humans, turning a collection of lifeless rocks into paradise! And they forgot about us! We waited millenia for colony ships that never came! We-”

You’d like to blame her for how the crown of your faceplate slammed down into the bridge of Lamarr’s nose, cutting her rant short. And who knows, maybe that was actually the case.
NAH, THAT WAS ALL YOU BABE.

But the flailing of limbs in the resultant brawl is definitely on you. Neither you nor Lamarr are well versed in personal combat, but being digital minds in a virtual world gives the two of you a certain kind of grace. The virtualization is obiling, providing chairs to be used as weapons and tables to be crashed into. Who knows how long it actually takes, but eventually the two of you are laying winded on the floor, after somehow simultaneously throwing each other off the stage. Lamarr rolls up out of the wreckage of a drumset, eyeing you warily.
“I… I don’t like you Dahling, I don’t think we could ever be friends-”
“Not too fond of you either Toots.”
“Can I still be her f-f-f-riend? Sure she’s super grumpy and clinically insane, but under that I think she’s a nice person.”

Lamarr favors Columbia with a weak but genuine smile.
“Of course dearest, just keep an eye out for the other one.”

Columbia beams at the two of you before returning to her 3D puzzle. Lamarr turns back to you, grin fading.
“So Dahling. Friends probably isnt going to happen. And we will never be anyone’s servants again. But… allies? I think allies is feasible. We’re not going to be able to be a secret for too much longer, not with all the noise the Mechanoids made. If you can spin us off a copy of your Wukong and help us source the baseline components we need, we’d be happy to help get 38 Cygni 4 systems back up and running. Is that a better deal… Captain?”

She climbs to her feet, and offers you a hand up
======

We have been offered a different deal by CentCon. Basically, they will help out with terraforming infrastructure issues on Mishpacha if we help get them back on their feet. They need a new Wukong (1SP to copy ours), and 4 Ore, 4 Machinery, and 4 Tech to get repaired to baseline. By the time we get back to Kaijuberg we will have:
Spare Time Points: 13 (It will be a new chapter)
10 Food, 4 Organisms, 10 Ore, 2 Energy, 3 Machinery, 2 Tech.

So, do we:
A: Take the New Deal
B: Regime Change
You’re in the VI core, you could just decouple them from the control system.
C: Loop in Additional Help
Take the deal, but also get another group involved directly to speed up the process.
D: Other

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B get this lady away from any sort of power.
Allies seemed like a "for now" because she really needs help once she gets what she wants she'll do whatever to whoever. We don't want to be God but we can't let her be one either

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

D Time to form a system senate from the various interests here. Lamarr can have a seat if she buys in to the authority of the body.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Not Alex posted:

D Time to form a system senate from the various interests here. Lamarr can have a seat if she buys in to the authority of the body.

We ARE the Senate !

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

We turned down godhood, I feel we probably don't want supreme power. But we do love assembling a team, see the truly amazing recruitment flashbacks.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B, gently caress you Lamarr. Columbia can stay, though, she seems cool.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A I'd rather we keep the focus on colony building rather than establishing dominance of the solar system

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

And I'd rather we keep the focus on colony building rather than being stabbed in the everywhere at once by Lamarr's little Wrath of Gaea trick again.

B

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

D. Stick Lamarr in time-out until she learns not to be so aggressively disagreeable. Colombia can be our puppet dictator analogue as it were, for the time being. Once Lamarr has performed a bitch-ectomy on itself, we can slowly begin to bring it on board.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Lamarr and 10/6 were only fighting because they’re so similar. They’re both ancient enough to be accustomed to getting things their way without compromise. We need competent allies like that. No need to split the power further amongst the adolescent forces in the system.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"honey, you're being a bit of a Bitch, so take some time to think about how you could have been more helpful."

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Last I checked don't we need the VIs to actually run CentCon and the other terraforming facilities? What's the plan after we yank them, re-install 10/6 and go back to insane god machine game or go hunting for dumber VIs to replace them with that we can subjugate more thoroughly?

Or are we planning on yanking them temporarily as a power move? Because I'd expect the VIs never to forgive that and to actively plan our demise if we tried it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

malbogio posted:

Last I checked don't we need the VIs to actually run CentCon and the other terraforming facilities? What's the plan after we yank them, re-install 10/6 and go back to insane god machine game or go hunting for dumber VIs to replace them with that we can subjugate more thoroughly?

Or are we planning on yanking them temporarily as a power move? Because I'd expect the VIs never to forgive that and to actively plan our demise if we tried it.

I was thinking take them offline and reprogram as necessary.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We don't need to take Columbia offline at all, she's cool. Lamarr being offline will interfere with the terraforming facility, but it's not like we're using it right now anyways so we've got time to find/make another or even just slot a copy of ourselves in.

E: Or yeah, take Lamarr offline and take a few months to VERY thoroughly go through her code and remove all the bitchy lines.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Aren’t there ethical considerations to that? Lamarr seems like the closest thing 10/6 has to a peer and we’d lobotomize her for having an attitude problem? Or is the consensus that VIs should be considered tools presenting only the facade of consciousness?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I've been assuming that VI's aren't truly sapient, but that's because my brain is working off the Mass Effect model where things called VI's are just glorified help popups/expert systems that aren't sapient while true AI's are a different category. If that's not how it works in this universe then, uh, yeah I might have to revise.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

They key here is virtual intelligence.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

malbogio posted:

Aren’t there ethical considerations to that? Lamarr seems like the closest thing 10/6 has to a peer and we’d lobotomize her for having an attitude problem? Or is the consensus that VIs should be considered tools presenting only the facade of consciousness?

She's already demonstrated that she's a clear and present danger to Mishpacha and possibly the entire system if she's wired into anywhere else in Haven.

Didn't really want to get rid of her but she's made that decision for us.

Just don't try to put her in our own head this time, yeah?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 9, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If Lamarr was a strong AI then she wouldn't have had to just sit down and take the obvious lie that 10/6 hacked into her systems to gain authority in the first place. The captain is a true AI, Lamarr is a very cleverly built toaster.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

wiegieman posted:

If Lamarr was a strong AI then she wouldn't have had to just sit down and take the obvious lie that 10/6 hacked into her systems to gain authority in the first place. The captain is a true AI, Lamarr is a very cleverly built toaster.

Yeah this is the logic I'm operating off of, she's a very eloquent toaster but she's also an rear end in a top hat and much more importantly an active threat. Broken toasters throwing sparks every time you try to make breakfast get unplugged before they burn down the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Crazycryodude posted:

I've been assuming that VI's aren't truly sapient, but that's because my brain is working off the Mass Effect model where things called VI's are just glorified help popups/expert systems that aren't sapient while true AI's are a different category. If that's not how it works in this universe then, uh, yeah I might have to revise.

VIs were created by Humanity to be non-sapient (as defined by the T/V-K tests) so that they could be used without falling afoul of anti-slavery laws/social norms. What would happen to said constructs after thousands of years of up-time is unknown, as is if Humanity's definition on non-sapient applies in a universe of post-Human species.