Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kasey Kahne will not run at Indy due to "extreme heat exhaustion".

https://twitter.com/LFR95/status/1037842181250338817

Is this like that time he ragequit the 9 car starting at Charlotte because of Carbon Monoxide poisoning but ran a 5k the next day?

He all but said "I don't give a poo poo anymore" in his "retirement" announcement.

So yeah this may be true or not but he's certainly not making any effort to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
That owns

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1038126934939578369

I hadn't even thought of this. :downsbravo:

e-

quote:

Keselowski suggested NASCAR go to more markets and race more often -- and end earlier instead of going into mid-November.

"We need to race more and we need to race in a smaller window of time," Keselowski said. "We should be racing, in my opinion, twice a week and we should be ending in October. ... Fifty [races] would be a good number."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 7, 2018

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Is half the problem not, that in 2018 people can't/won't dedicate 3-5 hours per week, for 36 weeks, to follow racing?

I'd be thinking the exact opposite. 25-30 races, cut to 2-2.5 hours max, the big races not withstanding

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CactusWeasle posted:

Is half the problem not, that in 2018 people can't/won't dedicate 3-5 hours per week, for 36 weeks, to follow racing?

I'd be thinking the exact opposite. 25-30 races, cut to 2-2.5 hours max, the big races not withstanding

Part of his logic is you could be filling short tracks during the week which can hold 20-30,000. It's not a bad idea from the limited sample size we have already (lookin' at you, Eldora), except for the fact that the last time I went to Eldora (2017, I missed this year), people started streaming out at the end of the second segment.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
It's also supposed to rain all drat weekend here in Indy. I'm starting to think this is gonna suck. I've been going to the Brickyard 400 since 1994 with my dad, and I'll keep going as long as they run it, but especially after the rain last year this race needs to go well or the rest of our group (a bunch of filthy casuals) is about to quit.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Well, they won't be competing with the NFL on Sunday.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/mattdracing/status/1038153493838741506

DiBenedetto going to a good car? Or at least a decent car?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Dudley posted:

He all but said "I don't give a poo poo anymore" in his "retirement" announcement.

So yeah this may be true or not but he's certainly not making any effort to run.

It looks to me like he's maybe really loving sick.
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1038094865349849089?s=21

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

how on earth are there stupider people than brian france

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This sounds absolutely horrific

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

big nipples big life posted:

https://twitter.com/mattdracing/status/1038153493838741506

DiBenedetto going to a good car? Or at least a decent car?

I don't see it, he's a bit of a prick.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

This is why I'm mostly absent from NASCAR in the summer and then fall my gf and I fight over football or NASCAR.. she usually wins.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

CBJSprague24 posted:

Part of his logic is you could be filling short tracks during the week which can hold 20-30,000. It's not a bad idea from the limited sample size we have already (lookin' at you, Eldora), except for the fact that the last time I went to Eldora (2017, I missed this year), people started streaming out at the end of the second segment.

Keselowski is a fuckin idiot, no surprise. Teams are going under left and right and his proposal is to make teams spend twice as much money a season.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/mattdracing/status/1038260287198117888

:lol: welp

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

what happen?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Eep.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

tater_salad posted:

what happen?

dunno, but it sounds like his previous tweet may have been a bit premature.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

rain already cancelling stuff at the track, heroically saving Indianapolis from having to see Florida Georgia Line

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Fauxhawk Express posted:

rain already cancelling stuff at the track, heroically saving Indianapolis from having to see Florida Georgia Line

Xfinity race already postponed to Monday at 10 am. Bring forth my first ever race watch from my office on my second monitor while simultaneously trying to hide it from co-workers!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The immediate problem with NASCAR right now is the money well is drying up (there's others, but this is issue #1). When a defending champion and a 7 time champ has trouble retaining sponsorship, something is seriously, seriously wrong (meanwhile in Indy, they managed to draw PNC bank in, and they're being rewarded by a potential Scott Dixon championship).

The problem right now is the sheer number of races: 36, plus the All Star Race. They could easily drop that down to what, 25-30 and axe a bunch of repeat stops. Hell, the only track that should get two races is Daytona, because Daytona is NASCAR's IMS (which also gets two races, but one's a road course and the other is the oval). The amount of races, as mentioned, leads to increased costs because of travel.

The whole situation reminds me of early 90s CART, leading up to The Split. Costs are spiraling out of control, to the point where the sponsors are now being asked for more money than they're willing to put in. Yes, they tried to institute a cost control in the form of limiting how many engines you get, but the "better" teams still have the engineers and mechanics who know how to extract every last bit of power out of them, which leads to more costs.

Meanwhile, Indy went "yeah, we tried with the aerokits, but they didn't work out as well as we'd like, so we're axing them in favor of a new sleek look. It'll also save money for the teams." Oh, and Honda and Chevy have a very good relationship and take steps to avoid the mistakes that lead to The Split. Both of them agree on a spending limit before each season for engine development, including going "yeah, let's not spend a lot this year" because of increased interest from new teams. Indy also runs less than 20 races a year, which helps keep costs down.

Not to mention Indy's ladder is infinitely better than NASCAR's. You have a clearly defined path up, and if you win, you get promoted to the next level with enough money to run that season. Win the top level? Well, you don't get a full Indy season, but you're assured at least 2-3 races AND the Indy 500.

It makes me sad to see NASCAR like this. It was my first motorsport love, but now it's flailing hard.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

iospace posted:

It makes me sad to see NASCAR like this. It was my first motorsport love, but now it's flailing hard.

This is kind of how I feel about the NHRA as well, since drag racing is what got me into this stupid sport. It may not be flailing as much since it's much more a niche sport, but Pro Stock used to be this magical place years ago where there were 60+ cars trying to make a field of 16, legit manufacturer wars, starting line burndowns, and dudes trying to sneak nitrous into their cars at every opportunity. Now the class is a dead man walking.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This is kind of how I feel about the NHRA as well, since drag racing is what got me into this stupid sport. It may not be flailing as much since it's much more a niche sport, but Pro Stock used to be this magical place years ago where there were 60+ cars trying to make a field of 16, legit manufacturer wars, starting line burndowns, and dudes trying to sneak nitrous into their cars at every opportunity. Now the class is a dead man walking.

What killed it, exactly?

And drag racing is always going to be an "in-person" sport. TV is a bonus to them, but it does translate to modern, commercial driven TV well, to be fair.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

there's more nuances, but the standard "rising costs+lack of sponsor/manufacturer interest" equation was a big part

Also doesn't help that the NHRA doesn't bother promoting anyone in their sport who doesn't have the surname Force, even though Erica Enders won a championship and had a movie made about her

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

problem with NHRA is Pro Stock is a lot like nascar, used to be real-ish cars now completely fake. If you wanna watch fiberglass frames on a roll cage you can just watch F/C which are a) cooler and b) faster.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Unfortunately any real change is going to require the France family to make less money so enjoy that death spiral

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

would you rather watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLgLe5LfMYM
or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qlof0RDrEw

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Those videos reinforce that Steve Evans dying was one of the worst things to ever happen to drag racing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Unfortunately any real change is going to require the France family to make less money so enjoy that death spiral

This is the biggest issue. All this generation of France cares about is making as much money as humanly possible.

One Daytona was the first sign to me that they might've been trying to diversify away from "cars going fast". I'd like to know what they have pictures of a member of the Marriott family sodomizing to have an Autograph Collection hotel built 5 miles from the drat beach: http://www.onedaytona.com/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Indy weather guys say there may be a window tomorrow but it is supposed to rain like a mother all morning. I am hoping for Monday so I can go but I am not missing opening weekend of the NFL to find out the 15th worst driver.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Doesn't look like much of a window to me, roughly a 50% chance of rain from the new start at 1pm to 4pm. I'll be preparing for a long and miserable day at the track.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If they didn't move the Xfinity race to the speedway they could run both races at the same time Monday.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Holy poo poo I live half an hour away why am I only hearing about this from autoweek

https://autoweek.com/article/nascar/new-rockingham-speedway-owners-have-reached-out-nascar

This guy is flexing hard out the gate and has already demonstrated more competence in three weeks than anyone involved with The Rock in decades, poaching Carolina Rebellion from the beach is a loving huge deal and locking it in for 20 years is beyond my comprehension.

Clearly has the pockets and connections to make this work.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Free McDonald’s at the midway y’all. Spicy tender meals. Looks like it’s still sprinkling though, no word on the race status yet.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
loving cancel this so I can go about my life already

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

maffew buildings posted:

loving cancel this so I can go about my life already

the race, or NASCAR in general

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yes

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm at the auto fair in Charlotte, they have now installed SAFER across the front stretch for that dumbass chicane.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

To be fair the dumbass chicane on the front stretch is a lot better than the one on the back stretch .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I assume they are putting stacks of tires there too, and its not just a 90 degree safer barrier you meet if you miss the first turn