Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ThornBrain posted:

The penultimate part of the LP takes us through the final dungeon.

You'd be able to pass that long, snaking gap of holes leading to the final dungeon entrance with the flying Animal Buddy, probably, so turning the season to autumn wouldn't be necessary.

If you choose either the crocodile or kangaroo buddies, like you did in this run, turning the season to autumn would be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So I learned during SGDQ that you can actually skip the Hyper Slingshot by flinging yourself over that giant pit near the beginning of the dungeon with a combination of bombs, the Pegasus Seeds, and the Roc's Cape.

https://twitter.com/Rumrusher/status/1012400390212587520

It's kinda bananas.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like visualizations of speedrun hacks, when they're possible. Looks like I caught up with this just in time for the finale, and it's been a treat to watch.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Bellmaker posted:

So I learned during SGDQ that you can actually skip the Hyper Slingshot by flinging yourself over that giant pit near the beginning of the dungeon with a combination of bombs, the Pegasus Seeds, and the Roc's Cape.

https://twitter.com/Rumrusher/status/1012400390212587520

It's kinda bananas.

In the same run you can see that the 7 hole gap in the ruins is also cross able, contrary to what was said in the most recent video.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You can get over three-space wide gaps with just the feather and the pegasus seeds if you try hard enough, it's a slightly awkward and definitely unintended jump but it's possible. I would guess, however, that the Subrosian doing a firework does not spawn until you beat the 7th dungeon.

Exactly this. When I was playing this game for the first time I absolutely couldn't figure out the Lost Woods puzzle (it seemed to me like switching from winter to autumn couldn't possibly count as 'getting warmer' since I'd have to go through spring and summer to get to autumn, and that would mean getting colder), so I spent a frankly embarrassing amount of time exploring every nook and cranny of the map I could possibly get to without the Magical Boomerang and the Roc's Cape. It's actually not all that hard to clear the three-space gaps with just the feather and seeds, so you can get to the Temple ruins pretty early if you want to.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The thread concludes with three whole boss fights that were a pain in the rear end due to their weaknesses not at all being taught to me. But yeah, no surprise who the final boss is.

Thank you all for watching and getting pissed off at me missing all of the obvious. (Yes I know now that I don't need to replay the entire games to get the secrets, but the point of the thread was just McFly's little story, and that's complete.) Get ready for even more of that on Tuesday when Link's Awakening DX starts going public and McFly crashes onto another strange distant land.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Are you continuing on this thread or are you gonna make a new one? It might be cool if you just made this like a mobile Zelda mega thread. Oracles, Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, Four Swords, etc.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I like how Onox is straight up a ripoff of Velgauder Sigma from Mega Man X in his dragon form, pretty neat to see that implemented in Zelda.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Regarding the eye puzzle, there is a "slight" hint that the Maku Tree gives you IF you exit Twinrova's temple, which of course very few kids would do that since the game's been building a sense of urgency for this last part so most would just boss rush till the end.

Also I appreciate they tried to recreate the Twinrova fight for the portable games, but boy was it the most annoying fight in the game. Sometimes I get lucky and get the 3 hits in under 2 minutes, sometimes I keep flailing orbs all over the place and not hitting any

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Thanks for finishing both games! Link's Awakening and Spirit Tracks should be fun (Spirit Tracks is one of the few Zelda games I've never played, actually, so I'll be looking forward to that).

Ugh, I agree the Twinrova first phase is the worst. There's really no good strategy there, I think the best approach is probably just to hide in a corner (which helps keep them from flying into you) and hit whatever orbs come your way until you get lucky. You can't really aim.

One thing I find interesting is that this finale feels a bit different depending on the order you do both games - Onox and Veran are very different fights (Onox is a much bigger pain) and then you're going directly from there to Twinrova and Ganon. On top of that, your item loadout will be different: I think Seasons has the advantage there, Roc's Cape and Hyper Slingshot are both more useful than Roc's Feather and Seed Shooter against Twinrova. I don't know how you're supposed to figure out Scent Seeds either though.

Fun fact: Ganon can actually be hurt without spin attacks if you have the Master Sword (level-3 sword), which is kind of a nice touch. Although I think it might just be a damage threshold you have to exceed before hits count, and Noble Sword + Red Ring might also work; I'd test it if I had a convenient save file, but I don't (goddamn completionism!).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, thanks for showing these off. There's nothing wrong with the "classic" 2D Zelda's, they're just a whole different experience than the 3D ones.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I just wish things flowed from the Onox fight to the Ganon fight better. It feels very abrupt and rushed.

That said, I love these games. They're really good. I prefer Seasons to Ages, mostly because I like the items better, but Ages as a story is better.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

On the spin attack on hurting Ganon/Onox, if you did the secret to get the Master Sword, it could hurt them normally, fittingly enough.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Serifina posted:

I just wish things flowed from the Onox fight to the Ganon fight better. It feels very abrupt and rushed.

If you had gone the other way link-wise you'd probably feel the same thing about the flow from killing Veran to fighting Ganon. It's probably a side effect of letting you link in either direction.

Silegna posted:

On the spin attack on hurting Ganon/Onox, if you did the secret to get the Master Sword, it could hurt them normally, fittingly enough.

Fighting Ganon with the Master Sword and the Red Ring doing Spin Attacks feels kind of like cheating, he goes down FAST.

Meanwhile if you have the wooden sword I believe I read once it takes some 50 spin attacks to put him down without a ring.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Omnicrom posted:

Meanwhile if you have the wooden sword I believe I read once it takes some 50 spin attacks to put him down without a ring.

Not 50, but it does take a long while. My young self who sucked at english got stuck figuring out who to give the Stink Bag to in Oracle of Ages and thus ended up fighting through the whole game with the Wooden Sword only (and of course despite the game always telling you "Rings do nothing unless worn" I never realised you have to actually equip them in the menu and thought you only had to slot them in the ring box). It did make Veran's fight more interesting since it gave her enough time to cycle through all her forms, and Ganon did appropiately feel like a final boss.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Omnicrom posted:

If you had gone the other way link-wise you'd probably feel the same thing about the flow from killing Veran to fighting Ganon. It's probably a side effect of letting you link in either direction.

I've done both, and yes, exactly. Either way you go, it's very abrupt and doesn't flow well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I do appreciate how massive that Ganon sprite is, even more so than how the same character design looked in LttP. Really makes it feel like you're fighting some incredibly strong evil.

At any rate, good job. I still think Seasons is more fun to play (and much prettier to look at) but I think Seasons -> Ages is the better way to play through them as the story beats from Ages and the linked content go well together IMO.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
It's really weird cause Seasons->Ages does very little use of the Linked Game cameos with Rosa only showing up once (and in the past for some reason) with little plot relevance and then just hanging around the dancing Gorons, whereas Ages->Seasons at least brings resolution to the Captain & Ambi love story.

Plus Linked Ages has 2 flames lit right up one after the other in rapid succesion, whereas Linked Season has the Destruction flame lit sometime around the 5th dungeon.

I hope someday they rerelease this games and expand the storyline (and maybe hopefully include the 3rd game, though unlikely)

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

lezard_valeth posted:

It's really weird cause Seasons->Ages does very little use of the Linked Game cameos with Rosa only showing up once (and in the past for some reason) with little plot relevance and then just hanging around the dancing Gorons, whereas Ages->Seasons at least brings resolution to the Captain & Ambi love story.

Plus Linked Ages has 2 flames lit right up one after the other in rapid succesion, whereas Linked Season has the Destruction flame lit sometime around the 5th dungeon.

I hope someday they rerelease this games and expand the storyline (and maybe hopefully include the 3rd game, though unlikely)

An Oracle of Secrets game on the Link Between Worlds engine would be amazing, but I fear Nintendo ain't doing a traditional Zelda game for a while thanks to the success of Breath.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure the Zelda design in this game is supposed to be based off of the Link to the Past Zelda, because this is supposed to be the continued adventures of that Link IIRC.

Also Link gets a kiss from Zelda in the ending to Zelda 2, IIRC.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Are you continuing on this thread or are you gonna make a new one? It might be cool if you just made this like a mobile Zelda mega thread. Oracles, Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, Four Swords, etc.

I thought about it a bit, and seeing as we're continuing the McFly story, I will indeed continue this thread into Link's Awakening DX. Part 1 is up on YouTube now, but I'm going to need a bit to get the OP ready and also update the thread's overall OP.
Don't know about including the later portable games here, but since I am also doing those, I'll consider it when they come around. The DS Zeldas will get their own thread though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

ThornBrain posted:

The DS Zeldas will get their own thread though.

And it'll be a nice thread.
For a clown to wear.
To the circus.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The fourth Zelda game brings the series to the Game Boy, and the later DX re-release then brings it to the Game Boy Color. The game structurally picks up from where A Link to the Past left off and transfers it to a portable system impressively well. It's a relatively sprawling world with creative and sometimes self-referential ideas peppered throughout. It's also Nintendo's first foray into the alternate universe/dream world sequel that they would return to for Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass. It's a fan and childhood favorite for many.
However the game has aged poorly in places, often the strangest ones (wait 'til you hear what the compass can do!), and it can be a hassle getting from place-to-place thanks to limited travel options. But stick with it and you might find a surprisingly deep entry in the franchise that didn't need to be so.

While most players are/were Link, returning from A Link to the Past, we are McFly, fresh from his adventures in Labrynna and Holodrum. Setting sail back to Hyrule, he imbibes a little too heavily on the grog and sails right into a storm. His ship obliterated, he washes up on the mysterious and eerily familiar island of Koholint, where the effects of the grog just won't seem to wear off. It's up to this sad DRUNK to make his way through the island, discover its secrets, and maybe find a way home.

This will be an essentially-100% run. I.E.: I will be getting all of the major collectibles including Heart Pieces and upgrades, but due to Secret Seashells disappearing once you've collected their reward, I won't be collecting all 26 of them. I will most likely come across where you would normally find the rest, though. I will also only be using one of the two tunics you can get from the secret dungeon, due to the second one being locked out once you've made your choice. Either way, I'm still counting this as completionist since you're not actually missing anything.
I am joined once again by MeccaPrime, who for once did not already LP this game. Rather, he played a spectacularly batshit, improvised glitch run of the original. It's one of my favorite LPs.
This LP was made especially for my Patreon patrons and was shown to them in full from July 2018 through August 2018 before being made public.

-------------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 1, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Link's Awakening! I have so much to say about it.

It was my first Zelda game, I still remember it very fondly. It taught me that A is for the sword and B for the shield for example. No idea why some barbarians didn't understand the lesson :argh:

This game has such a great music for the limited means to convey it. Sword Search is beautiful, I don't know why you never hear it again after finding the sword. The Ballad of the Wind Fish is pretty cool, especially how it evolves over the game. Southern Face Shrine is so fitting to the situation, etc.

This game does have some flaws. The owl is constantly badgering you, though you can somehow excuse it if you know that it really, REALLY wants you to wake up the Wind Fish, and is just making sure. Displaying a four or five boxes long message every time you discover the compass in dungeons in unforgivable though. Ditto with touching liftable objects while not wearing... SPOILER ITEM (yeah, right! :rolleyes:).

The game's story is certainly a lot deeper than the Oracle game's story. The manga adaption is pretty cool actually, I will talk about it when it comes up.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

They did change some lines in the EShop release. Just some...odd ones, like generic npc lines.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
THIS is the game I wish they'd revisit. There's so much potential here, from a plot standpoint. I'll get to that later, but the game plays with some pretty dark ideas. I feel like in some ways it was testing the waters for Majora's Mask. It's the first game where Hyrule and Zelda are nowhere to be seen and places more emphasis on NPC interaction than the previous games (although that could also just be the series evolving). I love this game.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I really like this game as an example of how to do a self-contained side-story right. It doesn't feature Zelda, but it's still a Zelda game.

Guess I gotta re-install the game now. Thanks a lot. Not sarcastic, just a genuine thanks for getting me to re-visit an old favorite. Also maybe now I'll finally get the eshop Seasons and Ages games.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 11, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This was also my first Zelda game and have all the same nostalgic feelings about it. Yo, it was released 25 years ago, how old do you feel knowing that?

I was very confused when I eventually played LttP and had to use B for sword. One neat quirk of the Game Boy Zeldas though is the fact that the shield is an active item rather than just sitting in front of you blocking arrows. And it's the only item that changes Link's appearance when equipped. I like the way it looks slung to the side when not in use more than Link constantly holding it up like some kind of tryhard.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Lol, this idiot is playing Link's Awakening ALL WRONG!!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MeccaPrime posted:

Lol, this idiot is playing Link's Awakening ALL WRONG!!

Stop triggering autistic nerds like me :argh:

Joking aside, another thing that's really cool about Link's Awakening is that the first dungeon item is one of the best in the game, and not as boring as a seed satchel for example.

Also, since I played LA first, I was really (negatively) surprised that there's no such item in LttP.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I was actually talking about ThornBrain.

Also, the fact that this thread isn't titled "Your McFly is Down! Let's Play Portable Zeldas" is a crime.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I see Thornbrain completed his trading sequence and upgraded to LP Thread level 2. I still cannot imagine playing with a Sword on B Button BTW.

As for Link's Awakening I completed it twice because I had two cartridges because my parents bought it for me not knowing I already had the game. That was about the point where they just started taking me to the store to buy the video games I wanted for my birthday.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Awww yeah, Link's Awakening. It's basic as all heck but the music still holds up despite being 8 bit stuff.

It's good.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The Mushroom "smells like sweet rotten fruit" in Link to the Past

I know this because I've played altogether too many hours of both Link to the Past (probably one of my first video games ever, and definitely my first rpg) and Link's Awakening (my first portable rpg that wasn't a rebranded SaGa). hell, I've had dreams in the LttP top-down camera format :v:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Link's Awakening is an excellent game, I also have a lot of nostalgia for it. Though it wasn't the first Zelda I played (that was OoT, which might give you all a fair shot at guessing my age for better or worse), it was definitely the second, and I picked it up shortly after.

I have a few embarrassing stories about this game, too, which I may share later; I genuinely couldn't beat it without a guide back then (you may well guess which puzzle I got stuck on) and for the longest time before getting one I'd just replay the game up to the point I was stuck and then start over, again and again...

In some ways I think this is the first Zelda where the "formula" really came together (in particular, this is the first game where the dungeon structure is consistently "explore what you can without item", "find item which allows you to navigate the rest of the dungeon/puzzles", "fight boss who can't be defeated without item"). Previous games had some of that (we've had map/compass/item since the first LoZ), but even ALttP had a lot of dungeon items that were just armour upgrades or things like the Moon Pearl that had no in-dungeon purpose. I'm sure there's a lot of argument to be had about whether this was a good thing, and whether the series eventually went too far in that direction, but at least as far as this game goes it seems to have been a good thing for the level design.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Explopyro posted:

I have a few embarrassing stories about this game, too, which I may share later; I genuinely couldn't beat it without a guide back then (you may well guess which puzzle I got stuck on) and for the longest time before getting one I'd just replay the game up to the point I was stuck and then start over, again and again...

If it's the 2nd dungeon's puzzle, there is nothing to be ashamed of. We all got stuck in that dumb puzzle.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

lezard_valeth posted:

If it's the 2nd dungeon's puzzle, there is nothing to be ashamed of. We all got stuck in that dumb puzzle.

Ding ding! Yeah, I think everyone gets stuck there, but it still annoys me in retrospect. I do maintain the clue is bad.

Less excusable are some other things, like thinking I had to get a game over to save when (as we saw in this video) there's a child who will tell you how to bring up the save screen. Sure, it's kind of a wonky input to do, but at least the game tells you.

Because of that, I racked up so many deaths on my first file that I discovered the game (DX anyway) will eventually take pity on you and give you the reward for the colour dungeon without you ever setting foot inside it. I don't know if it's random, or if you always get the red one, but that's what it gave me; I think this happened at 200 or 250 deaths. Needless to say, I was very confused.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Link's Awakening is the most under-recognized Zelda game IMO. Please Nintendo give it the A Link Between Worlds treatment TIA

Also apparently a lot of people on the dev team were big into Twin Peaks while working on this game, you'll see why as things progress.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 12, 2018

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Link's Awakening is the most ubder-recognized Zelda game IMO. Please Nintendo give it the A Link Between Worlds treatment TIA

A total remake would be amazing, but I'd even settle for a port with a few quality-of-life tweaks. Maybe make a few items just have context sensitive button use instead of having them need to be equipped each time, and give others their own dedicated buttons since most modern consoles and handhelds have a few more these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
I would just accept a remake with fewer loving explanation boxes.

'Wow, this looks really heavy! Why don't you equip something that lets you move heavy poo poo, dumbass? Or better yet, stop rubbing up against every rock.'
'You found a piece of power! For the tenth time in a row! Time to play the annoying music again!'
'You found a guardian acorn! You won't take damage for the next minute! But your tinnitus will live on forever...'