Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

thebigcow posted:

Why don't Chromebooks come with more ram?

23 tabs across 5 windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

23 tabs across 5 windows

:elongate:

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nulldevice posted:

Thinkpad x131 Chromebook refurbs on sale at Tigerdirect for $119.99. 1007U CPU (Dual Core) and 4GB RAM, 16GB drive. Has the nub (clit) mouse too. Grade A refurbs so they are in great condition according to the seller. This is likely for another six hours. I keep forgetting to post this, my apologies. It looks like a great model for folks unsure about whether or not they want to try a Chromebook and not drop a large investment on one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5734347&Sku=[b]41464596

Thanks for this. Was on the fence for chromebooks but this is a good enough price

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Blast of Confetti posted:

Thanks for this. Was on the fence for chromebooks but this is a good enough price

great! glad to help out. i hope you'll enjoy them as much as the rest of us!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

thebigcow posted:

They don't really need it and they're built to a pricepoint* so it's an easy way to save money. I still use my old, old Acer with 2GB of RAM and yeah it's not very fast but it's honestly not as slow as you would think, especially with only one or two tabs open. Really the worst thing about it for me is the screen resolution.

*It looks like Google's plan is working and lots of companies are making premium Chromebooks now with 8GB of RAM which is honestly pretty exciting.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I decide I don't like ChromeOS how hard would Ubuntu or something similar be to install? And if I do want to go back to ChromeOS is that doable?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nulldevice posted:

Thinkpad x131 Chromebook refurbs on sale at Tigerdirect for $119.99. 1007U CPU (Dual Core) and 4GB RAM, 16GB drive. Has the nub (clit) mouse too. Grade A refurbs so they are in great condition according to the seller. This is likely for another six hours. I keep forgetting to post this, my apologies. It looks like a great model for folks unsure about whether or not they want to try a Chromebook and not drop a large investment on one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5734347&Sku=[b]41464596

Not a bad find, particularly as a dirt-cheap entry-level CB that's still probably functional, but this one's so old (5+ years) that it's actually no longer supported, so I'd recommend against it on that point alone.

thebigcow posted:

While you can get as low as 2 GB (avoid at all costs, however) 4 GB is the standard, and there are multiple models with 8 or 16 GB on top of that. Certainly skyrocketing DRAM costs over the past couple of years has contributed to the dearth of models with >4 GB of RAM, since many CB models are built to low price points.

Statutory Ape posted:

23 tabs across 5 windows

That's...not all that much. I have probably 60 tabs open over 2 windows on this HP CB 13 right now, and it uses 8-9 GB (out of 16) even with The Great Suspender unloading some of them from memory.

If I decide I don't like ChromeOS how hard would Ubuntu or something similar be to install? And if I do want to go back to ChromeOS is that doable?

This is actually mentioned in literally the 2nd paragraph of the OP, and it's been there since I wrote it almost a year ago, so READ THE OP FIRST!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

That's...not all that much. I have probably 60 tabs open over 2 windows on this HP CB 13 right now, and it uses 8-9 GB (out of 16) even with The Great Suspender unloading some of them from memory.

That was my point, and your numbers are pretty much a linear jump up from mine :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Greetings Chromebook thread. I really want a new chromebook. I have an Acer CB3 or something that I bought back in 2015. It's ok, but I regret getting the 2GB version and I am sick of 1366x768. While it's not as bad as it used to be, where it would hard lock because I had four tabs open, the 2GB is frustrating to deal with. I want at least 4GB, 1080p, and something that isn't slow as hell. I don't need anything crazy, just being able to browse the internet and sometimes watching HD movies without the thing taking a dump would be nice. I've been looking around and I think I might go with the Asus Flip C302. Looks like it will be $449 when it comes back in stock and I'm about to hit up the coinstar for about 170 bucks in Amazon dollars. Is that a decent enough model where I can do some light computering from bed and maybe be able to use Linux on it sometimes? I tried it out on my current one around when I first got it and immediately had to switch back because it was unusable with 2GB of RAM. Or is something likely to come out soon that I should wait for. I'm not in a super rush or anything.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

c302 is the best 1080p/4g chromebook imho

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does it matter if I go with the core m3 vs m5?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Does it matter if I go with the core m3 vs m5?

for watching movies/browsing like you said i would get the m3 version.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I sold my parents on a Chromebook because I love my Asus C302 so much. Is there any murmurs of an update to this laptop that's about to come out soon? I think it still holds up now anyway but I'd hate for them to get buyer's remorse right away.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As much as I loving love the x131/x120 series thinkpads, I think I would only get a USB-C charging chromebook at this point. The luxury/convenience of your phone charger also being your laptop charger, and vice-versa, is unbelievably satisfying. Most other chromebooks us some bullshit proprietary charger

That said, if you give zero fucks about your charging adapter, the Thinkpad X131 is a bitchin laptop and will likely outlive you.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Glottis posted:

I sold my parents on a Chromebook because I love my Asus C302 so much. Is there any murmurs of an update to this laptop that's about to come out soon? I think it still holds up now anyway but I'd hate for them to get buyer's remorse right away.

Keep in mind there are already multiple CPU/RAM/storage configurations of the C302, and there's always something new on the horizon as well (e.g. new CBs from Google, Pixelbook 2, etc.) Since all CBs basically work the same (aside from older ones not necessarily getting new features like Android/Linux support, etc.) there's almost no reason not to go with an older model (e.g. the Acer R11.) The only other significant concern is what I posted about above, the official OS support (which is about 5 years from the device's first release.) Even then, if you're spending a reasonable amount and getting a few years of updates (think $300 for 3 years) then CBs are still worth it.

Hadlock posted:

As much as I loving love the x131/x120 series thinkpads, I think I would only get a USB-C charging chromebook at this point. The luxury/convenience of your phone charger also being your laptop charger, and vice-versa, is unbelievably satisfying. Most other chromebooks us some bullshit proprietary charger

That said, if you give zero fucks about your charging adapter, the Thinkpad X131 is a bitchin laptop and will likely outlive you.

Totally agreed on the Type-C PD thing; if your device needs <100 W then I can't see a reason not to use a standardized USB-C charging solution over a proprietary one. I guess if the device only had a single USB-C port then you might have a concern about wearing it out between all the power/data/video connector matings over a few years, but it should be a non-issue on a device with a couple Type C, Type A, and video outputs.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its pretty great having all my chargers in my bag work on literally every device i would bring

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sony just released a new noise cancelling over ear Bluetooth headphone to compete with the Bose AC35, has USB-C, once I get those, and a Nintendo switch, the only device left that I haven't converted will be my e-reader. Someday...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wal-mart has an HP Chromebook on sale for $169: https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-14-ak...orage/762707479

Am I right in thinking:

Pros: 14" 1080p screen, 4GB RAM
Cons: 16GB storage, N2940 Celeron

?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

4GB and under $180 including tax = buy

So what about the CPU, those don't matter at this price point, and what are you going to save on the 16GB internal drive? Do you know how many cat GIFs 16GB is?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hadlock posted:

Do you know how many cat GIFs 16GB is?

i would like to know

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Wal-mart has an HP Chromebook on sale for $169: https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-14-ak...orage/762707479

Am I right in thinking:

Pros: 14" 1080p screen, 4GB RAM
Cons: 16GB storage, N2940 Celeron

?

That's fine, the CPU is similar to the N3160, so this is roughly comparable to the Acer CB 14.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

i would like to know

About 300,000 give or take

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nulldevice posted:

The intel chip in this makes it intel x86 right? Trying to figure out if I have an ARM or x86 for working with Ubuntu

e: looked up dev info and yeah looks like it's x86, neat

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The intel chip in this makes it intel x86 right? Trying to figure out if I have an ARM or x86 for working with Ubuntu

e: looked up dev info and yeah looks like it's x86, neat

This looks pretty awesome. Using a chromebook with a trackpoint mouse would be awesome. I might actually order this.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got mine yesterday and it's pretty nice. It's my first chromebook so I've got nothing to compare it to but if you like how Lenovos are built you should like this

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

I got mine yesterday and it's pretty nice. It's my first chromebook so I've got nothing to compare it to but if you like how Lenovos are built you should like this

I had a Samsung Series 3 Chromebook a few years back and stepped on it by accident when I came home after a night a drinking in college. I really liked it though and I've been meaning to pick up another one. If I buy it I'll give you guys a trip report.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I need a laser printer that plays nice with a chromebook. I tried a MFCL2750DW and on amazon it said it would work, but did not. I had to print via the panel on the printer itself from googledocs.

My needs are : Duplex printing, copy, scanning, and black & white only.

edit : multiple page copy would be nice but not 100% needed. Price cap around $400

edit : HP Laserjet Pro M130nw is looking like it might be a winner for only $99

HP Laserjet Pro M227fdw better suits my needs at $199. HP website says it has cloud support and some reviewers say they used it with a chromebook.

ded fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 14, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ded posted:

I need a laser printer that plays nice with a chromebook. I tried a MFCL2750DW and on amazon it said it would work, but did not. I had to print via the panel on the printer itself from googledocs.

edit : multiple page copy would be nice but not 100% needed. Price cap around $400

HP Laserjet Pro M227fdw better suits my needs at $199. HP website says it has cloud support and some reviewers say they used it with a chromebook.

If you have a spare Windows PC that you can use as a print server (or a Raspberry Pi) see the OP for the section on GCP. You can then use any printer with ChromeOS.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe any modern network connected printer should just work. You may need to give it the IP manually but my random Canon inkjet just showed up by itself and worked with no hassle.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The makers of Chrome OS are finally going to fix their crappy Windows File Share functionality:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/native-support-for-windows-file-sharing-coming-to-chrome-os/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

I believe any modern network connected printer should just work. You may need to give it the IP manually but my random Canon inkjet just showed up by itself and worked with no hassle.

This is sort of correct. Note that if you can find the PPD file for the printer, which is sort of like a linux print driver, you should be ok. Typically if the printer has a Mac driver you can extract it and get a ppd file out of it.

This site, has most of the available ppd files for linux, since it's what CUPS (which is a linux printer service) utilizes.
https://www.openprinting.org/drivers

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its crazy how far we've come with consumer technology, like, i can play dark forces on my phone

still a pain in the rear end to print from a computer ????

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
all printers are poo poo and they deserve to die

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Atomizer posted:

If you have a spare Windows PC that you can use as a print server (or a Raspberry Pi) see the OP for the section on GCP. You can then use any printer with ChromeOS.

Ah that would work. I'm already using a Pi for pihole.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think I've owned a printer since like 2007. When I needed copies of my resume I'd just email them to Kinko's and have them print a copy. Airlines take cell phones as boarding passes, Google maps mobile has been a thing for over a decade. Online photo printing is super cheap.

What are people using printers for in their homes these days? Serious question.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i just print things at work if i ever need to

i never need to

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I don't think I've owned a printer since like 2007. When I needed copies of my resume I'd just email them to Kinko's and have them print a copy. Airlines take cell phones as boarding passes, Google maps mobile has been a thing for over a decade. Online photo printing is super cheap.

What are people using printers for in their homes these days? Serious question.

Sometimes I have to print something. Like something for school or proof of registration because I'm too lazy to renew my car tags at a reasonable time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The last thing I printed, ever, was some race instructions for a outdoor race, and some maps to distribute to my crew. That was in like early June. Before that was a mail in rebate. Both were done at the office. Prior to that was a paper resume back in like June 2017. I can't possibly imagine dedicating a permanent spot in mind house for a thing I use twice a year, let alone pay for it, and wasting my time maintaining it and probably buying new ink due to it going stale from lack of use.

Sure, Kinkos charges like $0.15 a sheet to print but that's like $2 a year vs all those hours of your life wasted researching, buying, maintaining a loving printer.

You can cut your hair at home by yourself with a flowbie but nobody does it, you pay for that service because it's a waste of your time and space in your house. I could make frozen margaritas or french fries at my house if I bought the machine for it, and use it twice a year but instead I pay a tiny bit extra for someone else to do it.

TL;DR printers are dumb and you should feel bad, and your flowbie haircut looks stupid.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hadlock posted:

The last thing I printed, ever, was some race instructions for a outdoor race, and some maps to distribute to my crew. That was in like early June. Before that was a mail in rebate. Both were done at the office. Prior to that was a paper resume back in like June 2017. I can't possibly imagine dedicating a permanent spot in mind house for a thing I use twice a year, let alone pay for it, and wasting my time maintaining it and probably buying new ink due to it going stale from lack of use.

Sure, Kinkos charges like $0.15 a sheet to print but that's like $2 a year vs all those hours of your life wasted researching, buying, maintaining a loving printer.

You can cut your hair at home by yourself with a flowbie but nobody does it, you pay for that service because it's a waste of your time and space in your house. I could make frozen margaritas or french fries at my house if I bought the machine for it, and use it twice a year but instead I pay a tiny bit extra for someone else to do it.

TL;DR printers are dumb and you should feel bad, and your flowbie haircut looks stupid.

idk if your argument against printers should include blenders :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

ded posted:

I have almost that exact model. L2740DW. It works fine from my Chromebook once I added it to Google Cloud Print. From the panel I think? It was a while ago.

I do use it fairly often though, mainly for dealing with lovely bureaucracies. really got it for the scanner, though (haven't been able to use that functionality from the Chromebook).

I also use my blender like 3-4 times a week, so I don't know, maybe people are different.