Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Suspicious Lump posted:

Ahahaha haven't heard this one before:

It's based on a real saying. The author's really done his research.

The real saying is "Allah cannot see Bahrain." Bahrain is a relatively liberal country by middle eastern standards and a lot of Saudis, Emratis, etc go there for deniable "fun" in a place where the laws are not nearly as punishing and behavior that Wahhabi would kill you for is perfectly normal. Think of it as the Islamic equivalent of "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
HERE'S A NEW CHAPTER OF KENGAN ZERO.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/445919/1

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

God drat I guessed it was Metsudo's backstory from the start but that old man Kure was his fighter was new to me

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Plutonis posted:

God drat I guessed it was Metsudo's backstory from the start but that old man Kure was his fighter was new to me

It was stated in the beginning of the tournament. Hence all the speculation that Erioh might have been a Fang of Metsudoh himself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ok I like Metsudo now.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Jose posted:

i went ot HnG's site to see if the chapter was out and lol

Based anon2155.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

All of these flashbacks have been great, but this may be my favorite.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

K Prime posted:

It's based on a real saying. The author's really done his research.

The real saying is "Allah cannot see Bahrain." Bahrain is a relatively liberal country by middle eastern standards and a lot of Saudis, Emratis, etc go there for deniable "fun" in a place where the laws are not nearly as punishing and behavior that Wahhabi would kill you for is perfectly normal. Think of it as the Islamic equivalent of "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."
Yeah as someone who grew up in the religion I've heard variants of it but never referenced to a particular country. The author(s) really did do great research! Made me laugh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BTW I do wonder what happened to Erioh since he says he left the Kure Clan but he eventually becomes the patriarch and why he stopped being Metsudo's Fang. I guess that's for part two of that mini arc?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

BTW I do wonder what happened to Erioh since he says he left the Kure Clan but he eventually becomes the patriarch and why he stopped being Metsudo's Fang. I guess that's for part two of that mini arc?

I would read an entire series of soldier boy and the shark-toothed killer going from the streets to running a Zaibatsu. I can imagine a redemption arc where we find out why Erioh was cast out, and him eventually returning to his family and becoming it's new leader.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis posted:

I imagine that in a clan of assassins, one becomes the top honcho by assassinating the previous / current top honchos until there is no one left to oppose you being the new top honcho.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol will they hide this on a paywall too

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Paywall?

Too?

What, did they put Baki scans up behind a paywall?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hate-Senpai posted:

Paywall?

Too?

What, did they put Baki scans up behind a paywall?

Yeah basically since 2003 until this year (where they dropped it I think) Baki scans were on that group's private site and irc and had to he leaked outside to scan sites. There's still a giant loving gap of available Baki manga chapters too that haven't been released and just now are being scanlated by other groups.

E:

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 10, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

More scanlator drama https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic.php?page=1&tid=118650

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jesus that sounds pathetic and wannabe badass.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

That guy seems like a real poo poo

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay I read the mangaupdate thread and it is pathetic and wannabe badass.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Incidentally what were the quality of their scans like.

Cause I don't really feel impressed by that one picture of the ninja.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nor am I in any way awed by the prowess of this pro-tier translation.

quote:

Page 001

In the year 2009:
For the first time in history, mankind made contact with an alien race from outer space. When Earth got involved in a galactic war with the humanoid giants known as “The Zentradi” it was brought to the brink of extinction. However, during the conflict “the power of singing” was discovered and used.

In March 2010:
The war came to its end. In April of that same year, mankind and the Zentradi made peace and started coexisting and the giant bodies were micloned to be the same size as regular Earthlings.

In September 2011
The Earth government designed a “human migration plan” to preserve our species around the universe. In September of the following year, a long distance emigration “Megaroad 01” space fleet departed from earth.

In September 2030
A larger dimensional fortress ship that continued the mission of the “Megaroad 01” The emigration fleet “New Macross 01” with a capacity of a million people, departed to the stars.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Their scans were Vento Aureo tier. Lot of made up dialogue and couldn't edit text for poo poo.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

ichido reichan posted:

any helpers for manga? anyone? we will train. Disregard the hater
This is so sad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

In light of Hokuto no Gun adding a new typesetter to their project, and scanlations coming out faster. Seeing wild fang coming back to leech another series for money is utterly surreal. I know there is overlap between people who read Baki and Kengan Ashura fans, but these guys are the absolute worst part of the Baki fandom.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
man i wish baki 1 was done. just gonna keep reading HNG translations anyway, been following their group for like a decade. that thread is pretty infuriating

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Relin posted:

man i wish baki 1 was done. just gonna keep reading HNG translations anyway, been following their group for like a decade. that thread is pretty infuriating

The translations for part 1 of Baki are done (someone posted the whole thing on /a/), we just need redrawing/typesetting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol wild fang project trying to get involved to earn money for it

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Nor am I in any way awed by the prowess of this pro-tier translation.

He posted later that a google translate quality level is acceptable to him, but admits even G-translate can’t handle japanese.

The way he said “HONOR AMONG MANGA PIRATES HAHAHA” or whatever, that guy def thinks he’s the Jack Sparrow of scan groups lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/446582/1
https://mangadex.org/chapter/446584/1

And that's all for the Volume Zero chapters.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Can’t wait for kazzy to become next chairman

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I wonder what is planned for Hassad, considering all the focus and screen-time the extra material is giving him. Maybe he replaces the (presumably dead) freaky bendy man in tournament?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this whole series owns, they're making an animated version right?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

this whole series owns, they're making an animated version right?

Yeah, Netflix announced it in june.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Yeah, Netflix announced it in june.

W-what about the main comic, Danberu?! :mad:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fellis posted:

W-what about the main comic, Danberu?! :mad:

I know tournament arcs are a thing. But an entire spin-off that is nothing but that? Plus all this backstory or random side characters like that one boxer dude.

We need more girls lifting weights and less muscle men delivering suplexes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

I know tournament arcs are a thing. But an entire spin-off that is nothing but that? Plus all this backstory or random side characters like that one boxer dude.

We need more girls lifting weights and less muscle men delivering suplexes.

Don't post here.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Metsudoh chapters were really interesting.

1. Erio had to explain what the Removal was to Metsudoh in the present, which is strange since Metsudoh is shown to have known about it during his employment of Erio. Gonna chalk that up to a minor retcon and the necessity of having to explain what the Removal was to the readers. Though I was sorta hoping for a reveal that Erio had managed to get through this Kengan Tournaments without having to rely on it at all.

2. I thought Erio was just a doting great-grandpa but I guess he's just doting to his kids in general.

3. The 7.5 chapter with Erio visiting Metsudoh to play shogi or whatever with him was neat. I guess they still frequently stay in touch with one another. When they met in the actual series I thought it had been a while since they'd last met but clearly not. Then again, Metsudoh knew well enough about the Kure that he expected Hollis (third highest Removal rate behind Raian and Kalra) to be the Kure fighter, so I guess it's not that strange.

4. It's nice to finally have an official statement that Erio was the first Fang of Metsudoh.

5. I'm probably putting way too much thought into this, but maybe Erio's declaration to Metsudoh isn't just his confidence in the Kure / friendly bantering among friends but also something he says cause he knows Metsudoh's desperately craving a challenge. After all, he's the one who got Metsudoh this far, maybe he can do his friend a favor and bring him down so he can feel a thrill again. Also ties in to his initial reasoning for joining Metsudoh - wanting to be there when Metsudoh's luck ran out.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Plutonis posted:

Don't post here.

What about muscle men lifting weights and girls delivering suplexes?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

I wonder what is planned for Hassad, considering all the focus and screen-time the extra material is giving him. Maybe he replaces the (presumably dead) freaky bendy man in tournament?

https://mangadex.org/chapter/446945/1

Seems likely!

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Plutonis posted:

Wild f-slur Project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

That’s a pretty big mixup, the brackets don’t even matter now because there could be tons of changes. Interesting! A lot of the hyped matchups between people on opposite sides of the bracket could now happen before the finals