Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Neo Rasa posted:

Dang I missed Bond FPS chat but Agent Under Fire had super rad multiplayer. In the single player game you have a grappling gun that only works in specific places, but in multiplayer the levels are built around using using it a lot. Then on top of that there's lots of settings for adjusting the gravity and momentum of everything so you can really be flying all over the place.

Oh man this reminded me of the best mode my neighbors and I came up with as a kid. The small Docks? level, lowest grav, grappling hooks, Plasma Cannons (or whatever the MP-only weapon was called) and 1 Golden Gun. We played kill the person with the Golden Gun, so friendly rules not actually built into the game. It was one of the only modes that level the playing field between people who know what circle-strafing is and those who don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Crackbone posted:

Sweet Jesus that’s embarrassing.
How cranked are the jigglephysics tho.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

How cranked are the jigglephysics tho.

...was that a thing prior to polygonal fighting games?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

McCracAttack posted:

...was that a thing prior to polygonal fighting games?

Someone's not played SNK fighters.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Karasu Tengu posted:

Oh right, Mai. That settles that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Karasu Tengu posted:

McCracAttack posted:

Oh right, Mai. That settles that.

The KoF Maximum Impact games have some truly absurd jiggle physics that make DoA's look positively sane by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmJ71KvhSJQ&t=158s
Those things just go at the slightest vibration. (Jokes and jiggle physics aside, KoF Maximum Impact 2 is actually a really good game and well worth a play. The first one isn't though. Stay far, far away from it)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

(Jokes and jiggle physics aside, KoF Maximum Impact 2 is actually a really good game and well worth a play. The first one isn't though. Stay far, far away from it)

Also you must mentally prepare yourself for Fio's voice. Jesus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also you must mentally prepare yourself for Fio's voice. Jesus.

Oooh yeah, a pre-emptive apology for every piece of glass in the room shattering the moment her English VA speaks.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
kofMI2 is really fun, a great game

but kofmi1 has one of the most iconic commercials from that era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTIph-vfVZ8

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Karasu Tengu posted:

KoF ‘95, Mai VsMai, they put the animations half a cycle apart, and the idle stance bounce looks like watching the ocean.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maximum Impact 2 is awesome and has a great amount of content and tons of costumes and secrets and fun stuff to unlock and also cool because the arcade mode is pretty short. You can do specific things to unlock stuff, or you can just complete the arcade mode and it unlocks one random thing once you have all the costumes for a character you're using.

It has THOUSANDS of words of text explaining the back stories, prologues, etc. for every character in the game and they're written in classic SNK caliber English, it's incredible, there's even a typo on the title screen menu in the English versions.

If you're in the US it's called King of Fighters 2006 for the PS2 and should be mega-cheap so check it out.

Maximum Impact 1 is so bad, it got significant balance fixes for the US release, but it's still a poor game. Despite being on the same engine and sharing a lot of graphical assets the sequel is almost a Street Fighter 1 to Street Fighter II level improvement for how it plays and how much stuff is going on in it.

They made a revision of it later on with more characters that only came out in Japan, but it's actually missing a ton of the alternate costumes and other extra stuff. The costumes are rad because they're unofficial but they have ones that are just straight up like characters from Evangelion, Lum, other SNK characters, it's goofy as hell.

SNK is loving awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The coolest thing about MI Regulation A is they added Mizoguchi from Fighters History as a guest character for no particular reason.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The coolest thing about MI Regulation A is they added Mizoguchi from Fighters History as a guest character for no particular reason.

IIRC it was because after Data East went down Fighter's History characters ONLY were able to be used by SNK through, uh, G-Mode? Like they sort of owned Fighter's History characters very briefly kind sorta but then didn't. He cameos in a lot of their mobile games from that time too.

Never forget weeks before Super Street Fighter II Turbo came out Mizoguchi had both a shinryuken and a shin hadouken in Karnov's Revenge. :D

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 7, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember the bio page for Terry in MI2 being funny, like he enjoys trolling or something.

Anyway bring back B.Jenet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC it was because after Data East went down Fighter's History characters ONLY were able to be used by SNK through, uh, G-Mode? Like they sort of owned Fighter's History characters very briefly kind sorta but then didn't. He cameos in a lot of their mobile games from that time too.

It was a cross-license deal with G-Mode - they got to use SNK IP on mobile, SNK got to use Data East characters on console, but I think they only did it that one time.

Mizoguchi's shown up in some weird places, he's in that one Kenka Bancho game that Atlus brought over for PSP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

It has THOUSANDS of words of text explaining the back stories, prologues, etc. for every character in the game and they're written in classic SNK caliber English, it's incredible, there's even a typo on the title screen menu in the English versions.

Wait, what? I never noticed this :stare:.

Neo Rasa posted:

Maximum Impact 1 is so bad, it got significant balance fixes for the US release, but it's still a poor game. Despite being on the same engine and sharing a lot of graphical assets the sequel is almost a Street Fighter 1 to Street Fighter II level improvement for how it plays and how much stuff is going on in it.

You forgot that Duke, the arcade-mode boss, blatantly read your inputs to the point that he was nigh-impossible to beat on any difficulty.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Anyway bring back Luise.

:colbert:

I'm actually surprised they haven't brought back Nagase and Lien Neville, especially for that new SNK Heroines game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You forgot that Duke, the arcade-mode boss, blatantly read your inputs to the point that he was nigh-impossible to beat on any difficulty.
An SNK game that doesn't have an insanely bullshit final boss is sort of like a Nintendo game without any charm - it's just not right, man.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I just found out ISOZone got shut down. That really sucks, because I found some really cool stuff through that site that I don't think you could find elsewhere. They had the Sword of Moonlight utility for making custom King's Field games, as well as a bunch of obscure titles.

Oh, that's too bad, Emuparadise was kinda my main site but Isozone had a lot of more obscure stuff with translation patches and that kinda thing. If anyone has suggestions where to nab rarer stuff nowadays, give me a PM or something.

I can't believe the ROM/ISO scene will shut down before I get to play the translated version of Princess Crown on the Saturn. Sad times.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TeaJay posted:

Oh, that's too bad, Emuparadise was kinda my main site but Isozone had a lot of more obscure stuff with translation patches and that kinda thing. If anyone has suggestions where to nab rarer stuff nowadays, give me a PM or something.

I can't believe the ROM/ISO scene will shut down before I get to play the translated version of Princess Crown on the Saturn. Sad times.

I don't have PMs, but if someone could also send some info on that as well, it would be great. (I joined the SA Retro Game chat Discord, and I think that allows for PMs, but I'm not sure, since I haven't used Discord all that much).

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

THQ Nordic bought it and their primary business model is buying old IPs and re-releasing the poo poo out of them, so at the very least you can expect ports to PC and consoles.

They also happened to acquire the studio that originally made those games through a separate buyout - Free Radical got bought out by Crytek and renamed Crytek UK, then Crytek shut them down and Deep Silver set them up as Dambuster Studios, and now THQ owns all that poo poo - but I don't think any of the original developers are still there.

I think Graeme Norgate, the composer, might still be there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5XLV3i2oQA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THQ Nordic bought it and their primary business model is buying old IPs and re-releasing the poo poo out of them, so at the very least you can expect ports to PC and consoles.

They also happened to acquire the studio that originally made those games through a separate buyout - Free Radical got bought out by Crytek and renamed Crytek UK, then Crytek shut them down and Deep Silver set them up as Dambuster Studios, and now THQ owns all that poo poo - but I don't think any of the original developers are still there.

You're forgetting the secret level in the last Homefront game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Speaking of THQ Nordic buying everything, they announced they bought Kingdoms of Amalur a day or two ago.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the secret level in the last Homefront game.

That happened before the THQ Nordic buyout.

OG THQ owned Homefront, they sold it to Crytek, Crytek sold it & the studio making it to Deep Silver, and now THQ Nordic owns Deep Silver by way of Koch Media. It's very incestuous and it's hard to believe so many people gave the slightest poo poo about Homefront.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I remember the bio page for Terry in MI2 being funny, like he enjoys trolling or something.

Anyway bring back B.Jenet.

BEAAUUUUUTIFOOL VIIIICTOREEEEEE!!!

The Kins posted:

An SNK game that doesn't have an insanely bullshit final boss is sort of like a Nintendo game without any charm - it's just not right, man.

Speaking of which since this is the Retro thread you all may play SNK's fighting games from time to time, want to know the universal boss trick? Every SNK boss has one anti-air move, it might be a dragon punch or kick sort of thing like Rugal's Genocide Cutter, or it might be just a move they can do while standing that knocks you out of the air, either way every SNK boss has one anti-air move that is just completely, totally insanely overpowered. The trick is to jump straight up a lot to get them to either also jump or to make them whiff that move, then hit them while they're open from missing you. So characters who can do stuff like jump off the edge of the screen like Mai or have moves they can do in mid-air that make you dart around or dive or whatever have a huge advantage.

The other thing, it isn't true for all their games, but for some of them setting the difficulty HIGHER actually makes the AI EASIER. Because for some of them the game brazenly reads your inputs no matter what difficulty it's at, so setting it higher makes them more aggressive and likely to do special moves to the point where you can catch it offguard more easily.

The last thing is SNK's AI often doesn't know what to do with running/dashing throw moves, so you can have some silly situations where, say, Clark and just run at and body slam a boss over and over again since there's no input to read after you initially put in the motion.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
For those that weren't on Discord last night, I got my 32X yesterday and this was how it was packaged.

Of course it didn't work. The listing said it was tested working. Taking it apart to check on if I could fix whatever is wrong makes me highly suspect it was ever working. All the metal on it has oxidized to the point it is rusting, it was filthy as hell and I counted at least one missing cap.

I might pay a markup to buy something local to just be sure I have something working.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Boomers would buy project cars to break their nuts over and get working, recapturing a bit of their youth in the process.

We just buy old consoles for too much money.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Boomers would buy project cars to break their nuts over and get working, recapturing a bit of their youth in the process.

We just buy old consoles for too much money.

A lot of boomers just dump them on skeezy restoration shops that charge a bomb to get their cars running before they hit the grave.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Djarum posted:

For those that weren't on Discord last night, I got my 32X yesterday and this was how it was packaged.

Of course it didn't work. The listing said it was tested working. Taking it apart to check on if I could fix whatever is wrong makes me highly suspect it was ever working. All the metal on it has oxidized to the point it is rusting, it was filthy as hell and I counted at least one missing cap.

I might pay a markup to buy something local to just be sure I have something working.

This is so drat infuriating to see. As you already suggested, it was almost certainly not in a working state before it was shipped. I got a Technics 1200MK5 for a solid deal on ebay years back and the seller shipped it to me in a box that was 4x bigger then the instrument; the only packaging being a styrofoam cooler that "took up the rest of the space". If it was bought via anything besides "friends and family" PayPal, contact them and get your money back.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Anyone go to RWX this year?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A lot of boomers just dump them on skeezy restoration shops that charge a bomb to get their cars running before they hit the grave.
Who's that guy that installs bad HD mods and bodges the insides up with electrical tape and wads of hot glue gun jizz??? :lol:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Who's that guy that installs bad HD mods and bodges the insides up with electrical tape and wads of hot glue gun jizz??? :lol:

Drakon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QMH-xp-WtI

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kazvall posted:

Anyone go to RWX this year?

Seems like it was just me for a few hours today at least. Nobody on the Discord seems to have gone. Was nice to get to say hi to ya for a minute tho.

I spent about half max what I was willing to drop, but some of the stuff I might have been more likely to get I didn't see till I was all done. (And I wasn't gonna drop 120 on even a fantastic condition Colecovision, much less after I hit my overall soft limit.) Filled a few minor gaps in my collection, but a few other titles I passed on either price or condition. As usual not a whole lot of computer stuff at all. Or everyone bought it on Saturday. It does look like I now only need a single Goonies game to own all of them. Course the last one is on my beloved Atari 8 bit computers. And is apparently expensive. And has a very good modern computer remake. Yeah. My Macross and Transformers hunt will never be completed.

This was fine as I needed some power tools to do yard work. So I was a good responsible nerd. One who now owns a CHAINSAW ON A STICK. (That cost about as much as the 85 or so everything above did.)

And with a little effort and help from a non goon channel I can now legit play SRW A in English wherever I want on my old rear end Mk1 PSP.

Not counting the PC Engine CD Macross games I think I have a fair collection of these goofy rear end Giant Robot games with a connection to Gundam, Macross, and SRW in general.
I may be one of the few people dumb enough to have a fair amount of physical copies of actually translated SRW games...

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 10, 2018

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
So I got myself a new toy.

A W-Hydra 2 16 input two output SCART switcher, expandable to 24 inputs with another daughterboard, or hydra head as they're called. :retrogames:
Getting tired of always switching cables around and well, the OSSC socket will eventually wear out and become sloppy if I keep changing them around.
Now I only need to get a few more scart cables for some of the consoles, a component switch and a hdmi matrix switch, preferably 18GHz capable for 4k 60Hz hdmi compatibility. The :retrogames: never ends...

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 10, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Holy poo poo is that a laseractive?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Holy poo poo is that a laseractive?

Yes it's a Pioneer CLD-A100 with a PAC-N1 installed.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Hello. Anyone know if this is a video playing, or some MAME frontend in this video on the arcade machine in the background (I think it mentions "Daphne" at some point which is an emulator)? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZluj2sjAI

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Pinguliten posted:

Yes it's a Pioneer CLD-A100 with a PAC-N1 installed.

LaserActive buddies! High five!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hello. Anyone know if this is a video playing, or some MAME frontend in this video on the arcade machine in the background (I think it mentions "Daphne" at some point which is an emulator)? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZluj2sjAI

That's the frontend Hyperspin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB_Y5fNhFSo

Warning: Tweaking it to work how you want it is an endless lifelong quest, it is a MASSIVE time sink to get it all working.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

univbee posted:

Warning: Tweaking it to work how you want it is an endless lifelong quest, it is a MASSIVE time sink to get it all working.
It looks cool though...

Thank you, univbee!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure if this was ever discussed, but Legends of Localization, on its endless quest to analyze game localizations in the most over-the-top ways possible, a while back started streaming Final Fantasy VI (or rather, the original Woolsey Final Fantasy III) with custom software he wrote himself that would, whenever there was text on-screen, pull up the text from four other sources where he could live-compare and analyze the different versions:

- The Japanese Super Famicom original, also used for the PS1 version
- The newer translation done for GBA and later PC and mobile
- The unofficial RPGOne/SkyRender fan "re-translation" (more on this in a minute)
- Google Translate because sure why not

He's a decent chunk of the way through, has gotten the airship in the World of Ruin, and he's playing through it in a "see every line of game text" way.

Link to the write-up with links to the streams (the write-ups are only a partial look) https://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-vi/

The cliff notes version of how the localizations hold up is as follows:

- In a fairly large number of cases, Woolsey hosed up and said the opposite of what the line was meant to say (or at least missed some important nuance), due to some combination of a poor handle on Japanese grammar, not being given sufficient context to what he was translating (e.g. some scenes it's clear from the translation he had no idea how the scene was 'staged', like who was talking, and to whom) and being rushed as gently caress. This affects both random NPC filler lines and some really major story lines. Also the translation gets increasingly fucky as you go through the game, you can actually tell where Woolsey started running out of time.
- The RPGOne/SkyRender version which purports to being a retranslation actually appears to just takes the Woolsey script and makes it even wronger somehow, it's very very rare that it actually addresses something that was in the Japanese text but not the Woolsey text.
- The GBA/PC/Mobile version is a really solid localization that is almost 100% accurate to the original Japanese text. It's a massive difference to the point where there were news articles about how much of game changer it was, such as one particular line explaining Setzer's character motivation which got royally hosed up by Woolsey but corrected in the GBA version. There are a small number of lines that were actually outright changed in the GBA version, including its Japanese version (this was discovered when a line was just 100% different from the Japanese in the GBA version), although I think they're mainly random NPC lines.
- Google Translate is Google Translate.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Syndicational is an amazing line and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.