Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

gschmidl posted:

Introducting the Tesla Model SW

does this account for all the rail lines being self-sabotaged by elon, and his remaining management, while being blamed on a conspiratorial notion of ~the shorters~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

how come you kids are so GOD DAMNED stupid and just do the stupidest thing possible every SINGLE SECOND OF THE GOD DAMNED DAY?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

...minecraft??

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I work in logistics.

I can’t fathom how one pisses off a class I railway enough that they disassemble your spur and sell the land.

that’s got to be great for the resale value of the factory too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FrozenVent posted:

and sell the land.

lol, that's really the kicker for me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FrozenVent posted:

I work in logistics.

I can’t fathom how one pisses off a class I railway enough that they disassemble your spur and sell the land.

Yup. Especially when trains are used to ship cars nationwide. How does Tesla expect to deliver mass amounts of cars to say, NYC, if there's no train line? I mean, they're going "Well, we only make the cars when the order comes in", which leads to facepalms around the industry.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You can't "mass produce" cars and treat them like exotics. Exotics, sure, you can build after ordering, but there's a reason why car makers have moved to building mass amounts of cars and shipping them all over.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

iospace posted:

You can't "mass produce" cars and treat them like exotics. Exotics, sure, you can build after ordering, but there's a reason why car makers have moved to building mass amounts of cars and shipping them all over.

The big manufacturers all build to order. The difference is they have dealerships putting in the orders to fill out their inventories. Toyota doesn't just build a bunch of random crap without an order.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Baxate posted:

The big manufacturers all build to order. The difference is they have dealerships putting in the orders to fill out their inventories. Toyota doesn't just build a bunch of random crap without an order.

Point. You can custom order cars as well as a consumer, but usually that requires a significant lead time that most people don't even bother anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, irony: train companies have known of the performance of electric motors since *checks notes* the 1930s.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iospace posted:

Point. You can custom order cars as well as a consumer, but usually that requires a significant lead time that most people don't even bother anymore.

With modern logistics, that lead time is really short. Much faster than Tesla's that's for sure.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FrozenVent posted:

I work in logistics.

Am I misunderstanding the implications here or is that a total spite move that has no practical utility whatsoever?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Am I misunderstanding the implications here or is that a total spite move that has no practical utility whatsoever?

i assume the practical utility is that musk stops calling you

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

worth it imo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

no. the deposit didnt actually buy the car, it just put you in line to be offered the chance to buy the car, at which point you then need to choose a model they're making to pay for.

afaik you say which car you want when you put down that $1000 deposit, at least that's what my friend's idiot parents had to do. you might be able to change it later but idk

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not a Children posted:

Railroads want lines going to car factories. Car factories want trains. The easiest way to ship a large amount of cars is via train.

What UP did, if true, is not only burned the village, but salted the earth. They basically ruined any prospect of any factory going there again. So it's partially a stupid move out of spite (because any future factory there wouldn't have a rail line), but if Musk was the catalyst, then :laffo:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
as with roads, i can only assume that selling off rights-of-way for rail is a big, big thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/MW55/status/1037084073301344257?s=19

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Not a Children posted:

not only am I not gonna sell you any bananas, I’m going to burn down the banana stand and pass a constitutional amendment forbidding the rebuilding of any banana stand in that location

just for the record, large railroads sit on their land rights like dragons on their hoards. they do not get rid of land lightly

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NASCAR is dead because paved Oval Track racing is boring and antiquated. Only thing in NASCAR worth seeing is the wrecks/drama.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

NASCAR is dead because paved Oval Track racing is boring and antiquated. Only thing in NASCAR worth seeing is the wrecks/drama.

nascar is well ahead of you and has a solution to oval racing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

do teams still bring in road course ringers because their oval track drivers can't cut it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

do teams still bring in road course ringers because their oval track drivers can't cut it?

That practice is all but dead now.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

exploded mummy posted:

hope that means them going at high speed thru the in-field RV camps

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Just rename to Nazicar to better reflect the audience :godwin:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

they can barely fill the current field and that's even after they dropped the field size to 40

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
their current and reigning champion in cup cant even get a full season sponsorship

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

their current and reigning champion in cup cant even get a full season sponsorship

holy poo poo. things have certainly changed it sounds like.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
it's almost as if the economic precarity of working class people leading to a lack of time and money to spend on leisure activities is killing off entire categories of sport and even working class culture itself :wow:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

gschmidl posted:

Just rename to Nazicar to better reflect the audience :godwin:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

holy poo poo. things have certainly changed it sounds like.

it's all because of this man and speed pac

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

james spader lookin' ruddy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

refleks posted:

putting up the paywall again

this didnt happen

jit bull transpile posted:

this has to be fakeposting, right?

musk is trump for liberals

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

iospace posted:

Railroads want lines going to car factories. Car factories want trains. The easiest way to ship a large amount of cars is via train.

What UP did, if true, is not only burned the village, but salted the earth. They basically ruined any prospect of any factory going there again. So it's partially a stupid move out of spite (because any future factory there wouldn't have a rail line), but if Musk was the catalyst, then :laffo:

it would be really funny if true but I'll believe it happened when that satellite imagery does not show a rail spur going into the factory which is right next to a rail line soooo

e: maybe I could believe it if UP were owned by terrible small businessmen who absolutely would do deeply spiteful and counterproductive things just "to be who they really are" but I assume all that land and infrastructure is operated by a group that can at least identify their own self-interest. OTOH, having said all this if it ends up being true I will howl my butt off with laughter

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 10, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Marijuana posted:

it's almost as if the economic precarity of working class people leading to a lack of time and money to spend on leisure activities is killing off entire categories of sport and even working class culture itself :wow:

eh

it gets really weird because a lot of it is that bill france sr and bill jr were both very very good at running nascar and their associates ventures and organizing races, whereas brian is a goddamned idiot who hasn't had a goddamn sense of long term planning other then power consolidation at the expense of fans and being really bad at gimmickry

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
id be more willing to give brian some slack bit one of his answers for trying to drive attendance down was throwing cautions every 20 minutes to regroup the field and create more exciting races

or the chase system to counteract the ratimgs hit that happens in football season

like he took over before the actual us economic decline really took off at the end of dubya

but seriously he made a loving clock that reset the field every 20 minutes

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 10, 2018

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
that's a damned fine job of making something that was not good to start with really loving suck

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
nascar was pretty neat in the aughts. i wonder what happened

i remember enjoying the commentary

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

graph posted:

nascar was pretty neat in the aughts. i wonder what happened

i remember enjoying the commentary

Economic crisis in 08 hit it really hard, and now they're flailing trying to recapture the lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

exploded mummy posted:

Meh, they just did that to attract the groups that hover around Petite LeMons at Road Atlanta, who actually have money and talented racers.