Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Despite that, Berseria still has the most narrative continuity of every prequel and sequel in Tales (except maybe the Symphonia sequel because I never played that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Caphi posted:

Despite that, Berseria still has the most narrative continuity of every prequel and sequel in Tales (except maybe the Symphonia sequel because I never played that).

symphonia 2 is about a kid getting mad at lloyd for killing his parents until everyone tells him that lloyd actually did not kill his parents and he must question whether it was actually lloyd who killed his parents

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The truth is that you the player killed Emil’s parents by bringing the world of ToS2 into existence when you turned the game on.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Courage is the magic that turns dreams into realities

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

takes courage to play that piece of poo poo, i agree

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hang on, who killed his parents?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Caphi posted:

Hang on, who killed his parents?

no one, because he has no parents

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
drat, that makes sense in Tales.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I completely forgot what was Emil's deal
He was an amalgamation of two people and a squirrel right

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I always remember Emils design because a friend pointed out that he's basicslly wearing a halter top.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I completely forgot what was Emil's deal
He was an amalgamation of two people and a squirrel right

He is a summon spirit who took the form of the last human he saw before being kind of killed, but then came back during the same time where fake Lloyd was attacking Palmacosta. He then walks up to a dying person who is literally blind and they just assume for some reason he is their Son? Which Emil believes because of Anime Amnesia and he goes to live with his aunt and uncle who are basically the Dursleys from Harry Potter before going on a grand adventure because where he eventually learns Lloyd didnt kill his parents because it wasn't actually lloyd, but also because he has no parents because he is not a human being and is in fact a summon spirit that thought it was human for... reasons?

ToS2 is loving dumb y'all

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only thing I liked about ToS2 was that the old party members were all off doing their own things for 95% of the game. Emil & Marta's story occasionally intersected with one of them so they'd hop in the party for a bit, but then their mutual business would conclude and they'd gently caress off. It made the world feel busy like for once the protagonist wasn't the center of the goddamn universe.

Monster collecting was also a cool concept I guess, too bad it was super half-baked.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Sydin posted:

The only thing I liked about ToS2 was that the old party members were all off doing their own things for 95% of the game. Emil & Marta's story occasionally intersected with one of them so they'd hop in the party for a bit, but then their mutual business would conclude and they'd gently caress off. It made the world feel busy like for once the protagonist wasn't the center of the goddamn universe.

Monster collecting was also a cool concept I guess, too bad it was super half-baked.

I actually hated them being in the game because instead of them feeling like part of the story, it was like "And here we have the designated section with Collete. Now the section is over, onto the next character".

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
The worst part was that their levels were fixed by plot progression and were often not even close to as useful as any given monster. Felt like they were put in by obligation rather than an actual design decision.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lol remember how Regal refused to ever use his hands to kill again and instead murders hundreds of people with his feet instead

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the one time regal gets locked in a cage and he just silently punches it open with an energy blast and then they never speak of it again

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Doesn't Regal also spend half of Symphonia 2 back in the prison outfit even though he's a free man and president of the biggest megacorp on the planet? It's the extra dedication to laziness that I really appreciate.

lobster22221 posted:

I actually hated them being in the game because instead of them feeling like part of the story, it was like "And here we have the designated section with Collete. Now the section is over, onto the next character".

I more meant I liked it in concept than execution. Nothing in Symphonia 2 was executed well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if regal decided to stop punching does he still work his arms

if he switched to working his legs forever and he's been doing it for years why are his legs less strong than his arms

is regal slacking on his leg work out

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Sydin posted:

I more meant I liked it in concept than execution. Nothing in Symphonia 2 was executed well.

That is true. I just wanted to vent on that particular issue I had with the game.

The Colonel posted:

if regal decided to stop punching does he still work his arms

if he switched to working his legs forever and he's been doing it for years why are his legs less strong than his arms

is regal slacking on his leg work out

In ToS 3, he will fight by shooting foot lasers

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

brian beacock isn't my lloyd

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I beat Star Ocean 3 & 4 but really wasn't feeling Symphonia's gameplay. I just got Hearts R because my PSTV is the only way I can play games at present. Hoping this goes well and makes me a Tales fan. I brought up SO because I don't think I just hate ARPGs. Symphonia was just...off.

I see tons of free money and levels DLC! Hope I don't need that. Although I might grab the free DLC that gives me 1000Gold to start with.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 4, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
adventure packs are just extra garbage, you don't need them in literally any of the games they exist for

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Been playing through Tales of Berseria and at some point after I got to the capital but before I fought got to artorius the first time I sold some sale items that were worth 25k each and leveled my shop up to 5. But I didn't think to take note of their name so I have no idea what they were or where I found them.

Any ideas what they were?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

So I beat Star Ocean 3 & 4 but really wasn't feeling Symphonia's gameplay. I just got Hearts R because my PSTV is the only way I can play games at present. Hoping this goes well and makes me a Tales fan. I brought up SO because I don't think I just hate ARPGs. Symphonia was just...off.

I see tons of free money and levels DLC! Hope I don't need that. Although I might grab the free DLC that gives me 1000Gold to start with.

Hearts R was OK but I never completed it due to the final dungeon puzzle. I admit the team got on my nerves a lot compared to ToB.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

Doesn't Regal also spend half of Symphonia 2 back in the prison outfit even though he's a free man and president of the biggest megacorp on the planet? It's the extra dedication to laziness that I really appreciate.

He gets arrested and as a result goes back into that outfit. After being let out he dresses in his Megacorp outfit, until they get to a city that was recently attacked, were he gives his clothes away to someone who lost their home in the attack. Using his prison outfit for the meantime, once they get to Regal's home city he changes back into his megacorp outfit and stays in it for the rest of the game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Luminaflare posted:

Been playing through Tales of Berseria and at some point after I got to the capital but before I fought got to artorius the first time I sold some sale items that were worth 25k each and leveled my shop up to 5. But I didn't think to take note of their name so I have no idea what they were or where I found them.

At a blind guess I would suggest one of the treasures the scouting ship brings back? Foreign artifacts or pirate flags or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lobster22221 posted:

the original plan for tos2 was for it to take place like 100 years after tos1 so only genis, raine, and kratos would be alive, and that would have probably been a much better game

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Caphi posted:

At a blind guess I would suggest one of the treasures the scouting ship brings back? Foreign artifacts or pirate flags or whatever.

I don't think so, was only up to island 3 or 4 at the time and I don't think any of the rewards were that valuable.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Luminaflare posted:

Rough Gemstone. You find them randomly from glowing spots, no idea if they are more common at some places but they are rare enough that you can't farm for them in any real way. I even found one in the starting prison island my first time through.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Ah. I was thinking it might have just been a rare drop.

Edit: also this is a drat good game. The tonal dissonance is highly entertaining.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Baba's game with SE has a very brief trailer, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAYeIor4lfQ

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this definitely looks like tales of zestiria with a prettier art style

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean if budget is all that was keeping it back, and they give him a budget, it could end up being pretty cool.

I'm curious if it still has action combat, though.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
I continue to wonder if this will actually be the complete form of the open world multiroute game Baba clearly wants to make or if it'll finally come out in a decade's time after having been handed off to one of the two or so actual capable project managers at sqeenix and a skeleton crew to assemble a saleable product out of the accumulated cruft and recoup some losses asap.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the real secret to hideo baba getting a job at square enix is because he saw ffxv and decided that kind of development cycle was a better fit for him

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/TalesofU/status/1039151561358888961

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hahaha

It can go right next to my misprinted steelcase of the 360 Vesperia.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Hell yes. Give me that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Releasing two weeks before Kingdom Hearts 3 is a bold loving move, I’ll give them that

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
It's a deathwish.

Still, it's a good time for jrpgs right now.