Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hm. my ECL doesn’t work right. the format functions don’t work at all lol

the VC6 support has rotted despite including a specific VC6 makefile, I had to manually fix a bunch of headers to remove C99-isms to get it to compile at all... I can probably fix it, I bet I broke something loving with the formatting code to get it to build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also im dumb and playing poe again so time to crack out my scala value counter for poe stash and finish it to some usable-ish state

I could be persuaded to review/contribute/test and I'm getting very annoyed by the number of people with scripts to spam you in chat the moment you list an item

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

I could be persuaded to review/contribute/test and I'm getting very annoyed by the number of people with scripts to spam you in chat the moment you list an item

and that's with api gate they've set up to deter snipers. a few leagues back i did run a dedicated sniper app on my pc that would parse entire public stash api contents and outline lucrative deals based on criteria i defined. lamest exalts i've ever made

real solution is to just not underprice but that's like solution to hc leagues being "just dont get hit lol"

as for "beta" sure, ill post the repo here when i have something. should be evening or two of work when i get to it since i already fetch items and prices (unless they or poe.ninja changed their apis drastically). entire testing will be running it in cli with arg of your pathofexile.com cookie string

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is this problem with all high level etl guys? ours is absolutely incapable to use ssh 10 months into working in a linux server shop. and by absolutely incapable i mean just connecting to server via ssh

ive also worked with a contractor at a place we were doing worth with that couldn't figure out ssh tunnelling or even how tab completion worked on the shell.

the guy even had his windows beep set to an annoyingly loud horn beep, which happened every time he mistyped something, so phone calls with walking him through unfucking his linux servers was always grating as hell.

he would lock himself regularly out of AWS servers by loving up iptables, so he was restoring production systems from AMIs once a week. he would often complain that "linux is too hard", despite being the sysadmin for the project.

most people are idiots.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also im dumb and playing poe again so time to crack out my scala value counter for poe stash and finish it to some usable-ish state

poe is cool and good

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

real solution is to just not underprice but that's like solution to hc leagues being "just dont get hit lol"

Even at a reasonable price I get spammed with people who set up a bot to lowball offers. I've just started ignoring everybody in that first barrage (heh nice poe joke there)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Even at a reasonable price I get spammed with people who set up a bot to lowball offers. I've just started ignoring everybody in that first barrage (heh nice poe joke there)

im probably just not selling something popular enough then. im only second league on sc since hc takes too much time for me nowadays, and most of my sales are rare divination cards

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i haven't played poe since the big expansion came out. i enjoyed it a lot before that. is it worth jumping in? are my orbs still valuable?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i haven't played poe since the big expansion came out. i enjoyed it a lot before that. is it worth jumping in? are my orbs still valuable?

its quite fun for me and imo you should play temporary leagues only, where you do not have your old orbs. on standard everything is cheaper except eternals if you have any

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

its quite fun for me and imo you should play temporary leagues only, where you do not have your old orbs. on standard everything is cheaper except eternals if you have any

oh yeah that's right. that's the way to play iagree.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ive also worked with a contractor at a place we were doing worth with that couldn't figure out ssh tunnelling or even how tab completion worked on the shell.

the guy even had his windows beep set to an annoyingly loud horn beep, which happened every time he mistyped something, so phone calls with walking him through unfucking his linux servers was always grating as hell.

he would lock himself regularly out of AWS servers by loving up iptables, so he was restoring production systems from AMIs once a week. he would often complain that "linux is too hard", despite being the sysadmin for the project.

most people are idiots.

yeah anyone using Linux for etl instead of SSIS is a total moron

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

yeah anyone using Linux for etl instead of SSIS is a total moron

gently caress i would love either

i have a server that accepts user:pass ftp. Not even sftp or anything fancy. For double the fun said ftp server was rebooted for security updates (it's a windows 10 server because the CTO "knows windows" despite being a through and through apple person) and now the subcontractor who sends us files every night can't connect.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
cjs:

What would you guys do if you were working in .NET core, had to manage db migrations against postgres, and had to develop on macOS using something like Rider or VS Code?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

cjs:

What would you guys do if you were working in .NET core, had to manage db migrations against postgres, and had to develop on macOS using something like Rider or VS Code?

that sounds ok unless rider is really bad in general (probably not), on mac (probably not either), or with .net core (potentially)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Finster Dexter posted:

cjs:

if you're using entity framework the command line tools are probably super adequate: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ef/core/miscellaneous/cli/dotnet

if you need to do a bunch of manual janitoring then maybe try out jetbrains' product for db stuff? https://www.jetbrains.com/datagrip/features/executing.html

I've heard okay things about sqitch but yeah, it's got its own model of what a migration is/should be and how they should be applied soooo you gotta chug some koolaid https://github.com/sqitchers/sqitch

e: hmm, I like my first couple glances at EF core, I wonder how easy the upgrade path is...

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 10, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

prisoner of waffles posted:

if you're using entity framework the command line tools are probably super adequate: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ef/core/miscellaneous/cli/dotnet

if you need to do a bunch of manual janitoring then maybe try out jetbrains' product for db stuff? https://www.jetbrains.com/datagrip/features/executing.html

I've heard okay things about sqitch but yeah, it's got its own model of what a migration is/should be and how they should be applied soooo you gotta chug some koolaid https://github.com/sqitchers/sqitch

e: hmm, I like my first couple glances at EF core, I wonder how easy the upgrade path is...

We won't be doing EF. We all kinda hate ORM here and I specifically really dislike EF. It'll be Dapper all the way. I gotta look at this sqitch, though.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Finster Dexter posted:

We won't be doing EF. We all kinda hate ORM here and I specifically really dislike EF. It'll be Dapper all the way. I gotta look at this sqitch, though.

I feel you. My own experience is that working with EF6 sucks hard but we're stuck with it, so I'm eager to see EFcore be "better".

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

sqitch is pretty cool, that’s probably what i’d try first.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
FluentMigrator supports net core, it’s needs-suiting for developing against sql server on windows but that might be too many changed variables to be helpful

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

You ever feel like you're a competent programmer but then ppl talk about some programmin/cj'ing thing totally out of your ballpark and just get hit w/ how little you know

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

You ever feel like you're a competent programmer but then ppl talk about some programmin/cj'ing thing totally out of your ballpark and just get hit w/ how little you know

this is me reading any sa thread after i think “im decent at python “

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Skyl3lazer posted:

i keep reminding myself that when you see some incredibly detailed post on SO or whatever, the person who posted it probably specializes in that thing. it's not like a generalist is expected to have that level of knowledge.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

i keep reminding myself that when you see some incredibly detailed post on SO or whatever, the person who posted it probably specializes in that thing. it's not like a generalist is expected to have that level of knowledge.
I agree. I know a lot about haskell/type theory and a decent amount of arduino /rust, I don't think I've managed to finish a single post when the distributed threat people come out the woodwork, nor hackbunny's win32 posts nor luigi30's glide stuff. I barely followed the emulator stuff

In short : imposter syndrome hits us all,
:justpost:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

EF is very bad. You might try SSIS to do a migration. Even if it doesn't get everything you can migrate the rest by hand and then generate a VS SQL project from the migrated db

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
You should really learn enough to follow hackbunny's posts, they are amazing. (Assuming you care about Windows and systems programming :v:)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ya but the problem is when you're like me and don't have a single topic that you actually know well enough that most yosposters couldn't talk circles around you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I know literally nothing about graphics programming and all of that poo poo amazes me.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

raminasi posted:

FluentMigrator supports net core, it’s needs-suiting for developing against sql server on windows but that might be too many changed variables to be helpful

for sql server just use ssdt. for any other rdbms, look into migrating to sql server and then use ssdt.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I know exactly 1 thing about games programming, and that is to use quaternions to avoid gimbal locks.

The fact that this apparently puts me ahead of some professionals in the field (I still run into fps games that have this problem in TYOOL 2018) is weird :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
terrible programmer disclosure:

I know absolutely nothing about web and my knowledge of SQL ends at simple joins

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Xarn posted:

terrible programmer disclosure:

I know absolutely nothing about web and my knowledge of SQL ends at simple joins

wish i could say the same

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Xarn posted:

I know exactly 1 thing about games programming, and that is to use quaternions to avoid gimbal locks.

The fact that this apparently puts me ahead of some professionals in the field (I still run into fps games that have this problem in TYOOL 2018) is weird :v:

How many lost sales would they have because of this vs the dev and debugging time?
another important terrible programmer lesson: worse is often better. Just look at js

E: this is why none of my hobby projects ever get anywhere

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

I know literally nothing about graphics programming and all of that poo poo amazes me.

It's linear algebra all the way down

What I don't get is how the gently caress people write graphics drivers

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the main thing that prevents me getting really bad imposter system from SA and random blog posts are seeing big companies we work with constantly gently caress stuff up

mystes
May 31, 2006

Now that you jerks got me to try haskell again, I figured I might as well attempt to use it for a codingame problem, but it involves lots of IO of course so I'm trying to use StateT and stuff and it's pretty confusing.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Xarn posted:

quaternions

Please do not say this word I graduated several years ago and do not have to read it anymore.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

if you held a gun to my head and said pronounce quaternions I'd say pull the trigger

that could be because I've been staring at

code:

NUM_OF_BYTES = 9;
char* foo = (char*)malloc(NUM_OF_BYTES*sizeof(char));

and I'm ready to just go home by any means necessary

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

mystes posted:

Now that you jerks got me to try haskell again, I figured I might as well attempt to use it for a codingame problem, but it involves lots of IO of course so I'm trying to use StateT and stuff and it's pretty confusing.

will happily review code. i found lens simplifies StateT use because you can more easily pair a `StateT Int a` and a `StateT Int (a, b)` and stuff.

in general all your game functions should be pure and then the io only really happens in the main loop

draw :: GameState -> IO ()
update :: float -> GameState -> Input -> GameState
where the float is dt or something

here's a half-finished example with Gloss that I did back in my heavy haskell days: https://github.com/djmcgill/Fight-puck

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

AggressivelyStupid posted:

code:
NUM_OF_BYTES = 9;
char* foo = (char*)malloc(NUM_OF_BYTES*sizeof(char));

appropriate username/code combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My Intro to CS professor (18 years ago this month, ugh) was teaching us about magic numbers and told us he rejected a student's code because it had something like "public static final int FIVE = 5;" in it because the style guide explicitly said not to give constants a name that matches their value. The student tried again with "public static final int CINCO = 5;" and the professor bounced it again.