Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Safeword posted:

The Rioters were always varied in skin colour though - it was just harder to notice because they were far more covered up. White skin was never "patched in".

That's semantics.

When the game came out the base bad guys were all masked up and moved like sterotypical black gangsters, and your job was to shoot them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

That's semantics.

Not really. The argument is that white skin was patched in, when from the very start they were black, white and Hispanic, with the voice sets to match. The only group which deviates from this is the Cleaners, as they're all the same gruff Brooklyn stereotype.

"This game had you shoot black people, white people were patched in" isn't a semantic distinction, it's an outright lie.

I'm not willing to engage this any further by now. Point has been made.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Me, shooting guys who move like black sterotypes as they hold their pistols sideways: "this isn't problematic, some of these guys might be white under those masks"

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I'm noticing a lack of sympathy for the guido garbage disposal class. Is every public service sector employee in NYC Silvio Dante?

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Zigmidge posted:

I'm noticing a lack of sympathy for the guido garbage disposal class. Is every public service sector employee in NYC Silvio Dante?

LEMME DO MY JAWB. :byodood:

I think the writers were happy they can fully embrace crazed militia in the sequel. Nobody can convince me Joe wasn't intended as such - just listen to his speech as you're storming the Cleaner headquarters.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Joe Ferro was totally into Infowars

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Cleaners felt like the only faction that had more than a bit of thought put into them. Even the descent into literally worshipping fire in Dragon’s Nest felt more natural than anything else in the game, and not just because “flamethrowers.”

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LMB was essentially reverse-Rikers if you wanted to get down to it. White Military Contractor Operators.

I hope all the factions get fleshed out more, because the way they communicate the lore is really good - they just need to put more emphasis on content there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Safeword posted:

LEMME DO MY JAWB. :byodood:

I think the writers were happy they can fully embrace crazed militia in the sequel. Nobody can convince me Joe wasn't intended as such - just listen to his speech as you're storming the Cleaner headquarters.

i am curious who the other factions will be. my guess is semi pmc types that turned crazed militia. probably random shithead criminal types. probably some sort of criminal organization. also probably some black ops group too. hell, maybe we will get russian black ops teams, since 1 hinted around at them.

Kibayasu posted:

The Cleaners felt like the only faction that had more than a bit of thought put into them. Even the descent into literally worshipping fire in Dragon’s Nest felt more natural than anything else in the game, and not just because “flamethrowers.”

they are the most interesting faction because they are different. the convictics and random looter/unassociated criminal types are same old random baddie factions in many open world games. i just fought a ton of in Spider-man.

the mercs are kinda checkmark box to fill when making a tom clancy games because in most of those games, the bad guys are mercs. the cleaners are actually interesting and i kinda wish there was more poo poo about them.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Yeah, the Cleaners not being simple cackling pyromaniacs was fantastic. They were doing absolutely horrifying things, but they weren't getting off on them, or because they were inherently insane. It wasn't until their leadership crumbled and everything else failed that they went genuinely nuts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

vyst posted:

LMB was essentially reverse-Rikers if you wanted to get down to it. White Military Contractor Operators.

I hope all the factions get fleshed out more, because the way they communicate the lore is really good - they just need to put more emphasis on content there.

yeah, the world is interesting as gently caress when you dig in deep enough. my biggest issues is their isnt enough random open world activity or inter factional fighting. like i want to see random fights more often and poo poo.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
All Tom Clancy (indeed pretty much all Tacticool videos games) must have at least a little right wing fantasy in them because they are all about how elite milspec geared agents will save the world. Which is a very American fantasy, especially on the right. The Division turns you into Judge Dredd, where you get to dispense justice on the streets through bullets and only bullets. This is softened a little by the home base you are fighting for which consists of the remnants of NYC’s liberal paternalist government. It’s softened a little more by the revelation that a significant chunk of your elite unit went rogue and that you might go rogue too.

I didn’t find any of the enemy factions as problematic as the rest of you seem to because it struck me that all of them were being written using a tired but beloved humanizing-the-villain trope: the bad guy who has a point. So when Larae deploys the language of BLM or the BPP I think she is 1) saying stuff that is true and 2) abusing that truth to justify her horrible actions. Which is also what the Cleaners’ “you gotta do what you gotta do” set of atrocities is all about. I think both factions are meant to be sympathic to some degree. The faction I found to be the most moustache twirlingly evil was the LMB. So it was interesting here to read the interpretation of Patriotism -> Treason because I have so little sympathy for patriotism in my normal life that I entirely missed that aspect of their tragedy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

All Tom Clancy (indeed pretty much all Tacticool videos games) must have at least a little right wing fantasy in them because they are all about how elite milspec geared agents will save the world. Which is a very American fantasy, especially on the right. The Division turns you into Judge Dredd, where you get to dispense justice on the streets through bullets and only bullets. This is softened a little by the home base you are fighting for which consists of the remnants of NYC’s liberal paternalist government. It’s softened a little more by the revelation that a significant chunk of your elite unit went rogue and that you might go rogue too.

I didn’t find any of the enemy factions as problematic as the rest of you seem to because it struck me that all of them were being written using a tired but beloved humanizing-the-villain trope: the bad guy who has a point. So when Larae deploys the language of BLM or the BPP I think she is 1) saying stuff that is true and 2) abusing that truth to justify her horrible actions. Which is also what the Cleaners’ “you gotta do what you gotta do” set of atrocities is all about. I think both factions are meant to be sympathic to some degree. The faction I found to be the most moustache twirlingly evil was the LMB. So it was interesting here to read the interpretation of Patriotism -> Treason because I have so little sympathy for patriotism in my normal life that I entirely missed that aspect of their tragedy.

pretty much, that being said, i am lefty as gently caress and i get the fantasy and see its appeal, and hell when its done right, i like it.

I took the LMB as Blackwater type mercs who were hired to protect the rich residents property. eventually, bliss goes full roman general type and establishes his little kingdom for "the greater good".

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So I remember there being a cool little guide that kept you at level 14, but you were vastly over powered in the dark zone. Does anyone have a link handy, and does it still work?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Safeword posted:

So I remember there being a cool little guide that kept you at level 14, but you were vastly over powered in the dark zone. Does anyone have a link handy, and does it still work?

It's not the same now unless you have all the old level 14 weapons

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Safeword posted:

As A Buff Gay Dude, you can try get the current best level 14 stuff but the OP poo poo is legacy and won't drop anymore. I did a fairly bit of lvl14 pvp with Sandweed with his op char and was hilarious and even got decent gear but nowere as him melting down pubbies in 2 seconds.

There's also lvl29 pvp wich seems fairly popular since you can use all perks and weapon stuff but not armor sets so is all about mixing normal yellow year.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Fair enough then! Will probably aim for 29 on my alt. No way am I going to grind out PvP commendations legitimately, ha.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Level 29 PVP was popular for a bit but I don't think its popular enough in the regular "go into the DZ and kill farmers" sense that level 30+ is so it probably won't speed up PVP commendations that much. I tried it myself for a bit and even going Rogue and standing close to checkpoints was a solo experience more often than not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

Bliss was some hedge fund guy or something, and basically marketed LMB to wall street types as a way to keep the apple store, zara, and whole foods open. So not only blackwater mercs, but blackwater mercs run by and for the bank execs.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

FAUXTON posted:

Bliss was some hedge fund guy or something, and basically marketed LMB to wall street types as a way to keep the apple store, zara, and whole foods open. So not only blackwater mercs, but blackwater mercs run by and for the bank execs.

?????

"Prior to becoming the Commander of the Last Man Battalion, Bliss served in the United States Armed Forces and retired before the outbreak to work in the private security sector where he created the Last Man Battalion. Bliss and his Private Military Company were hired by Wall Street to protect their assets, but after they were trapped behind the quarantine zone, Bliss took matters into his own hands and started carving out New York for himself, promising to take it back from the "liars and thieves."

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, you're completely wrong on this take bucko.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

?????

"Prior to becoming the Commander of the Last Man Battalion, Bliss served in the United States Armed Forces and retired before the outbreak to work in the private security sector where he created the Last Man Battalion. Bliss and his Private Military Company were hired by Wall Street to protect their assets, but after they were trapped behind the quarantine zone, Bliss took matters into his own hands and started carving out New York for himself, promising to take it back from the "liars and thieves."

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yeah, you're completely wrong on this take bucko.
TO be fair, Bliss's antics with the LMB come up at the same time as Aaron Keener's shenanigans, who is revealed to be a hedge fund trader because he got bored after the military, so it's easy to get some conflation going on.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
all white dudes look same

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Safeword posted:

Lvl 14 pvp is a shitshow now, when you go manhunt the terminal can spawn on the skating rink. Let me tell you how much fun it is to fight Lvl 21 yellow enemies with pubs on your back.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

40 Proof Listerine posted:

TO be fair, Bliss's antics with the LMB come up at the same time as Aaron Keener's shenanigans, who is revealed to be a hedge fund trader because he got bored after the military, so it's easy to get some conflation going on.

It's this, my bad. Keener was the banker who thought he knew everything.

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic
I finally got the Survival Shield, and I must say as much as I love Survival it is just way too tense to play on the reg.

To me, the beginning and the end are the two most tense periods of time in Survival. The beginning because it’s a mad dash to get mats, gear, and meds before the others. Not to mention that you’re totally squishy and get cold so quickly. If I die in Survival, 90% of the time it’s within the first 15 or so minutes.

The most tense moment is the final showdown with the hunter. When I make my final run out of the safe house and to the pick-up area, my heart starts pounding. I’ve only died to the hunter once, on my first play of survival. But it’s still a nerve racking experience.

One thing that would REALLY change up Survival would be having the Hunter spawn at almost anytime once you pick up the antivirals or something like that.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
My only issue with survival is the comparative investment of time - it's a good hour or so if I'm planning on a high rank, and of course you can't take a break halfway through. I adore the game mode though, and really hope it comes back in some form.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Replaying the campaign and I do hope the sequel gives us slug based shotguns.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Ubisoft sale on PSN. Season pass is 12.99.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The folks at Red Storm are doing a Twitch stream to raise money for relief efforts in North Carolina.
https://www.twitch.tv/thedivisiongame

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Thank you Jose, I was dreading making this thread my own blog!

Ambush event from this Monday to sunday. Double HVT rewards this weekend.

Any decent gameplay of D2 without the quasi-RP commentary?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Sorry, Destiny 2 is somehow kinda good again so we're all being guardians again for a bit, but we'll be back

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Sorry, Destiny 2 is somehow kinda good again so we're all being guardians again for a bit, but we'll be back

CHA CHING

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So how did Destiny 2 get improved this time around?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Safeword posted:

So how did Destiny 2 get improved this time around?

I think the biggest thing is that there's actually poo poo to do now.

I haven't played the expansion but everyone I know who loved D1 has said this fixes most of what was wrong with D2.

The biggest issue is the price point. From what I understand you have to have the Year 1 DLC to play the Forsaken expansion, and then you'll need the Year 2 season pass to get 'everything' out of Year 2. So they're forcing you to buy lovely DLC to play the new good poo poo.

edit: To keep somewhat on topic, if anyone wants help with the GE commendations, hit me up on PSN: joedbaker.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Yeah that's what I was sceptical of. Not forking out for a couple years worth of expansions, heh.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

They did the same thing with Taken King but eventually rolled the Y1 expansions into it. So just wait a few months.

On topic, for the Shields I still need those 4 Hunter Kills in Survival, and like 3 exotics: tommy gun, Midas, and Caduceus. All of which I owned but deleted. Otherwise the next few months are just picking up Shields I already earned.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Oh I forgot, Ambush is live. Maybe I'll play and get those Classified AlphaBridge kneepads the game always refused to give me.

quote:

The fourth Global Event, Ambush, is returning to The Division!

Start: September 24th, 08:00 AM UTC
End: October 1st, 08:00 AM UTC

The following modifiers will be live during Ambush

Ambush—Always active. Agents deal increased damage while stationary.
Covert Ambush—Ambush behavior, plus health diminishes while moving.
Strategic Ambush—Covert Ambush behavior, plus health diminishes when close to allies.

Agents will have an opportunity to earn the following Classified gear-sets:

Classified AlphaBridge
Classified FireCrest
Classified Hunter’s Faith
Classified Tactician’s Authority

The event works the same way Ambush has in the past. The Bug, Haze, and Cage masks will be available alongside vanity rewards. Please note if you have already earned Ambush's weapon skins and vanity outfit, leaderboard caches will not yield new rewards.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Definitely gonna use Ambush to help knock out the 4 Hunter kills I still need as well. The less stress during Survival the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah Ambush is really good for Survival.