Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The more amazing thing here is the dan dan mian looks good and isn't in a terrible oil soup like it is in 99.9% of places outside of Sichuan.

place looks good af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That does look p legit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd have told y'all about it sooner, but I kinda figured you didn't come to Japan to eat mapo tofu.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Warning for all of you making tea eggs: if you do it indoors, your house will smell like boiled soy sauce for DAYS.

Better than when you lactoferment daikon and your house smells like farts for weeks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

I'd have told y'all about it sooner, but I kinda figured you didn't come to Japan to eat mapo tofu.

Yeah no point for us Sichuan people but those of you less blessed by food should go.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

The last Sichuan in Tokyo place was a dud though

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

Better than when you lactoferment daikon and your house smells like farts for weeks.

Yes, or when you make your own soy sauce and miso and your basement and house smells of koji fermenting soy beans for a month. There are a lot of stinky things out there. I'd make black garlic, but I think my family would hate me forever.

The soy sauce and miso are coming along nicely. I open fermented the soy on my porch for a few days to capture local salt tolerant yeast and bacteria, and the fermentation is still active. From the consistency the pediococcus is still active, so the zygosaccharomyces that I hope I captured should also be working slowly. It's a fascinating process, and the soy sauce is starting to smell nice. I don't bother the miso often, and it's changing to a nice shade of red.

Additionally, I made some doubanjiang with thai chilies about a year and a half ago and it's doing okay finally. Not really great and the beans didn't break down well. I think I under cooked them. I have nothing to lose leaving them to keep going under oil and salt, so maybe they'll turn out eventually. I'll grow a better pepper for it next summer and try again.

By the time I get these all figured out someone will have made a gluten free version of all these things (save the soy and miso of course they do that already), but I hope that mine end up tasting good too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

The last Sichuan in Tokyo place was a dud though

Much.

Like.

Your.

Posting.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

totalnewbie posted:

Warning for all of you making tea eggs: if you do it indoors, your house will smell like boiled soy sauce for DAYS.

Thanks for the warning. I'll have to be careful about that and get some air-freshener. That or just not have guests for a little bit. It does look awesome though so still going to try.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jhet posted:

Yes, or when you make your own soy sauce and miso and your basement and house smells of koji fermenting soy beans for a month. There are a lot of stinky things out there. I'd make black garlic, but I think my family would hate me forever.

The soy sauce and miso are coming along nicely. I open fermented the soy on my porch for a few days to capture local salt tolerant yeast and bacteria, and the fermentation is still active. From the consistency the pediococcus is still active, so the zygosaccharomyces that I hope I captured should also be working slowly. It's a fascinating process, and the soy sauce is starting to smell nice. I don't bother the miso often, and it's changing to a nice shade of red.

Additionally, I made some doubanjiang with thai chilies about a year and a half ago and it's doing okay finally. Not really great and the beans didn't break down well. I think I under cooked them. I have nothing to lose leaving them to keep going under oil and salt, so maybe they'll turn out eventually. I'll grow a better pepper for it next summer and try again.

By the time I get these all figured out someone will have made a gluten free version of all these things (save the soy and miso of course they do that already), but I hope that mine end up tasting good too.

Apologies if you posted this already and I missed it during my search - any chance you could post the recipe you're using for fermented soy sauce? I'm getting deeper down the rabbit hole of home fermenting and this sounds intriguing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

Apologies if you posted this already and I missed it during my search - any chance you could post the recipe you're using for fermented soy sauce? I'm getting deeper down the rabbit hole of home fermenting and this sounds intriguing.

I don't know that I did. Basics are pretty easy.

Cook your soybeans
Innoculate with koji mold, I used koji rice and ground it into a powder
I mashed and formed into 1" discs to get good coverage for the mold
Leave to grow/ferment for 3 days. Then dry out the white mold. It will turn yellow
Toss into a 17-20% salt brine and leave in a dark place stirring every couple days. I left it outside on my porch covered with a cloth to capture whatever I could. I didn't get a ton of activity, but I did get some. I added a couple tablespoons of unpasteurized miso to get it going quicker and it responded.
You want to encourage oxidation with the stirring, which you'll be doing every 3-7 days at least if you're keeping it covered with an airlock.
You would do it more frequently if you left it open to the air entirely to keep the koji from starting to grow on the top.
Stir regularly for somewhere in the range of a year. I haven't gotten past there, but I will probably pasteurize a bunch and keep some alive just to see how it changes.

There are probably better ways to do it, but this is what I've cobbled together for a process at home.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Can anyone point me to some nice and simple rice cake recipes? I have the thin long rice cakes sitting in the freezer and I dont want to make teppoki again.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Big Willy Style posted:

Can anyone point me to some nice and simple rice cake recipes? I have the thin long rice cakes sitting in the freezer and I dont want to make teppoki again.

Stir frys:
https://thewoksoflife.com/2014/09/steak-scallion-rice-cake-stir-fry/
https://thewoksoflife.com/2018/03/spicy-stir-fried-rice-cakes/
https://thewoksoflife.com/2013/12/stir-fried-sticky-rice-cakes-nian-gao/

You can always add them to any other suitable stir fry too. Try this one for example, it's fairly fast and easy: https://thewoksoflife.com/2018/05/sichuan-beef-dry-fried/

They're also great in Sichuan hot pot (or dry hot pot) but those are not what I'd call simple. Great in spicy soups as well, though I typically go for noodles with those instead.

Speaking of, can anyone recommend any particular outdoor propane burner for stir frying that's a bit taller and more convenient to work with for stir frying specifically? Something like this I mean: http://a.co/d/8dDZYVg

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Stir frys:
https://thewoksoflife.com/2014/09/steak-scallion-rice-cake-stir-fry/
https://thewoksoflife.com/2018/03/spicy-stir-fried-rice-cakes/
https://thewoksoflife.com/2013/12/stir-fried-sticky-rice-cakes-nian-gao/

You can always add them to any other suitable stir fry too. Try this one for example, it's fairly fast and easy: https://thewoksoflife.com/2018/05/sichuan-beef-dry-fried/

They're also great in Sichuan hot pot (or dry hot pot) but those are not what I'd call simple. Great in spicy soups as well, though I typically go for noodles with those instead.

Speaking of, can anyone recommend any particular outdoor propane burner for stir frying that's a bit taller and more convenient to work with for stir frying specifically? Something like this I mean: http://a.co/d/8dDZYVg

Oh drat that sichuan beef looks good. I hate that so many things are hard to find if not impossible to get in Japan. Don't think I've seen any sichuan pepper since I arrived. Seems like a really good website that you posted. I'll have to check some stuff out on there.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Thrasophius posted:

Oh drat that sichuan beef looks good. I hate that so many things are hard to find if not impossible to get in Japan. Don't think I've seen any sichuan pepper since I arrived. Seems like a really good website that you posted. I'll have to check some stuff out on there.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_s...%8A%B1%E6%A4%92

here you go tho I'm sure a store must have it somewhere.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They don’t really make tall stands for propane burners. Search for solutions people have used for homebrewing beer as those burners are commonly used for brew stands without the wok attachment. You can pretty much do anything to them, up to and including taking the cast burner and installing it into something else.

Mostly people just build stands and attach the burner without modifications so that it’s tall enough to use gravity. I’ve never seen a stand taller than about 20” commercially without it being a full and expensive brew stand. It’s not terribly hard to diy if you have a drill and can get some screws and 2x4s. You basically just build a box to stand it on and attach it so that you can’t tip the whole thing over.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_s...%8A%B1%E6%A4%92

here you go tho I'm sure a store must have it somewhere.

You'd be surprised. Most things I have had to order from Amazon if I needed them because most shops only have really basic stuff in terms of spices etc. I'm taking a day trip to the city this weekend so I'll take a look at some international stores and if not I can get it on amazon. Thanks for the link.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jhet posted:

I don't know that I did. Basics are pretty easy.

Cook your soybeans
Innoculate with koji mold, I used koji rice and ground it into a powder
I mashed and formed into 1" discs to get good coverage for the mold
Leave to grow/ferment for 3 days. Then dry out the white mold. It will turn yellow
Toss into a 17-20% salt brine and leave in a dark place stirring every couple days. I left it outside on my porch covered with a cloth to capture whatever I could. I didn't get a ton of activity, but I did get some. I added a couple tablespoons of unpasteurized miso to get it going quicker and it responded.
You want to encourage oxidation with the stirring, which you'll be doing every 3-7 days at least if you're keeping it covered with an airlock.
You would do it more frequently if you left it open to the air entirely to keep the koji from starting to grow on the top.
Stir regularly for somewhere in the range of a year. I haven't gotten past there, but I will probably pasteurize a bunch and keep some alive just to see how it changes.

There are probably better ways to do it, but this is what I've cobbled together for a process at home.

Thanks. I think I have just the fermenter for that...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is Chinese cinnamon drastically different from cinnamon sticks I can buy at any grocery store? That was the one ingredient I couldn't snag from the tea eggs recipe.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If you're somewhere in the English-speaking world, odds are the cinnamon sticks you buy in a grocery store ARE Chinese cinnamon.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Waci posted:

If you're somewhere in the English-speaking world, odds are the cinnamon sticks you buy in a grocery store ARE Chinese cinnamon.

Haha that's awesome, and I had no idea. Time to stink up my kitchen this Sunday. Thanks for the quick response!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Waci posted:

Yeah, Chinese cinnamon is just regular old cassia.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Waci posted:

I think these days in North America Indonesian cinnamon is more common than Chinese. And a lot of upmarket cinnamon these days seem to be Vietnamese.

But all three, while different, can more or less be used interchangeably.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I have some dumpling wrappers, I would like to turn them into delicious dumplings. Anyone have a recipe for a nice filling I could make?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not the most helpful response but honestly just use whatever combo of minced meat and the standard Chinese vegetables/spices that sounds good to you. It's not really a recipe thing. Be careful not to overfill the dumpling.

Make your mix, cook a little meatball of it and see if you like it, if not adjust until you do. Then stuff your dumps.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TheCog posted:

I have some dumpling wrappers, I would like to turn them into delicious dumplings. Anyone have a recipe for a nice filling I could make?
https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/vegan-baozichinese-steamed-buns/

https://thewoksoflife.com/2015/09/vegetable-dumplings/

https://thewoksoflife.com/2014/12/sticky-rice-mushroom-shumai-w-homemade-wrappers-vegan/

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

my fav are:

pork & chive (the classic)
pork & lotus root
pork & mushroom
lamb or beef & fennel
egg and tomato
fish (this one is harder to make)

For the meat ones you basically just take the mince and add your seasoning- some vinegar, some soy sauce, some minced garlic, some minced ginger, maybe some spring onions, cooking wine, salt, an egg, black pepper, MSG, five spice, maybe sichuan peppercorn powder.... this one's really on you.

For a really basic one I'd say for about 500g of meat, add like 3tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of shaoxing wine, a little bit of salt, maybe like a teaspoon of sugar, a nice helping of either sichuan peppercorn powder or five spice mix, a tablespoon of sesame oil and maybe like a tablespoon of chinese vinegar, like maybe 2-3 spring onions sliced up and then a bunch of minced garlic and ginger.

I kind of made up those amounts based on the proportions of stuff I use, I really do it like grand fromage said and eyeball it based on how I'm feeling. You can really go hog wild and use as much ir as little as you want.

Mix all that together then add your veggie of choice like chives, lotus root, mushrooms, or cabbage and then use your hands and mix it all up.

If you're using cabbage it's important to prep it first by dicing it, getting a lot of the moisture out before mixing it. Otherwise you'll get a watery mess. Also don't use too much veggie, meat dumplings should be like 75%+ meat.

Egg and tomato or egg and chive dumplings are even easier, you just make egg and tomato/chive then put it in dumpling wrappers (try and drain as much juice as you can beforehand).

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 29, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
pork, napa cabbage and minced ginger is simple and delicious

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pork and crab with finely minced water chestnut is decadent and fantastic

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Grand Fromage posted:

Make your mix, cook a little meatball of it and see if you like it, if not adjust until you do. Then stuff your dumps.

Quoted to emphasize this. Don't be like me, forget to taste the filling, and make several dozen sadly bland potstickers.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
For a vegetarian one (I know a lot of vegetarians), five spice tofu and seitan with some cabbage and a slightly more robust vegetable like a carrot with all the attendant spices and seasoning works very well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's Korean, but I could pound kimchi mandu all day every day.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tea eggs are simmering right now :toot:

Forgot stick cinnamon so I just tossed in a pinch of ground, and I also forgot rice wine :doh: Hopefully it still turns out good!

EDIT: So I just tried one of the eggs and... I'm perplexed. It didn't really have the cool marbling effect that I saw in the pictures, and only very faintly tasted different from a regular hardboiled egg. The recipe I posted above doesn't specify where you're supposed to steep the eggs, I did it in the fridge but could that have affected the outcome? I steeped them for 12 hours pretty much on the dot, but I'm wondering if I possibly did too many eggs. I tried 12 eggs when the recipe only calls for 6-8, I guess I might've diluted the liquid too much?

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 4, 2018

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

You all inspired me and some friends came over and we made dumplings.

We made two kinds, Pork + Lotus Root (猪肉藕丁), and Beef + Green Pepper(青椒牛肉)

We did the seasoning traditionally, which is to say we added poo poo till it tasted good. A good amount of dark soy sauce, some shaoxing wine, pepper, salt, minced garlic and ginger, and a tiny bit of green onion. We added some five spice to the beef.

For the veggies we just chopped them up a bunch and added them in. We also added 1 egg to each batch, with stuff like lotus and pepper that helps keep the filling together.

My friend prepared the dough a day earlier, they said that makes it better (I have no idea if this is true, but it was good). Dumpling wrappers are pretty simple but a little labor intensive, here's a decent recipe- https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/dumpling-wrappers/

We made potstickers cuz they are the best kind of dumpling.

When you make potstickers make sure you start on a cold pan. Oil it up so it's all covered in a small bit of oil, then add the dumplings. If you stuff the pan like above, you want to add enough water so it's maybe 1/4 the way up your dumplings. Cover and cook over low heat till the water is all gone and the bottoms have a nice golden-brown char.

Perfectly cooked for once!

They were good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Looks good!

I didn't do a big project but I added oyster sauce to 洋葱牛肉 because I was too lazy to season it properly and it was amazing. I was asked to make it again the same week.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anyone have a preferred zhongzi recipe?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone have an easy, tasty pho broth recipe?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Kenji's pressure cooker pho ga is pretty good:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html#comments-27542

Doing some kind of chicken pho with a pressure cooker is probably about as easy as you'll get while retaining proper flavor. Probably best to forget about beef pho.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Anyone have a preferred zhongzi recipe?

It’s like mooncakes, there’s a huge north south divide and no one can ever agree on which one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
That's why it's "preferred" and not "good" :D