Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'd love for them to just ditch ex raids, it is an awful, awful system

The distribution of eligible gyms is goddamn idiotic. As is the distribution of who gets invites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Vegastar posted:

I understand your point, but the entire gimmick of pogo is nostalgia, and gen1 is pretty much the thing the common people remember. I'm pretty sure it's like the base set in Hearthstone, gen1 is never going anywhere.

If they want to phase out gen2 forever, I welcome this change with open arms.

I should've said reduce gen1 spawns, not phase out; introducing a new generation means you either need to increase spawn points or reduce what you're spawning. Hopefully it's the former, that's what Niantic has done in the past.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wheany posted:

The distribution of eligible gyms is goddamn idiotic. As is the distribution of who gets invites.

i don't know what you're talking about, raiding 4 ex eligible gyms several times a week for six months and never getting a single ex raid invite while another dude raided the exact same gyms just as often and ended up with over twenty ex invites over the same time span was totally a great and cool thing that really enhanced my pokemon go experience

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't know what you're talking about, raiding 4 ex eligible gyms several times a week for six months and never getting a single ex raid invite while another dude raided the exact same gyms just as often and ended up with over twenty ex invites over the same time span was totally a great and cool thing that really enhanced my pokemon go experience

yeah but since that happened to you instead of me, it's funny

:v:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I just started trying to get EX passes in July, since then have gotten five, and was able to use four. Once I plugged into my local discord channel, it became easy and I probably could get all the mewtwos I could want (though I don’t work in the summer, which made weekday raids possible.)

Having said that, the EX system is dumb and I wouldn’t be sorry to see it go.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Added a couple of new people from the Google Sheet for the Celebi quest. Hi new friends!

I saw a couple of Montana goons on there. Hi potential new friends! If y'all are near Missoula or Helena, I'll be around and probably looking to get some walking Kms in when I'm home this fall/winter. Hit me up if you want to hang out.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've hatched about 4 or 5 10k eggs this week and all but one have been trapinch. :suicide:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Epi Lepi posted:

I've hatched about 4 or 5 10k eggs this week and all but one have been trapinch. :suicide:

I'm jealous. I'm wanting more Trapinch candies.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
After all the Go-Tcha chat, I ordered one which arrived today. Slightly confusing but ultimately painless setup. Took it out for a walk and came home with all kinds of extra mons that I’d normally never bother to catch which meant I had all this candy and stardust that I’d never normally get. This rules. It makes it easier for me to just go out and take long walks without pausing constantly which means the game and me trying to get more healthy are totally compatible where they were sometimes working in concert and sometimes getting in each other’s way before.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

pubic works project posted:

I'm jealous. I'm wanting more Trapinch candies.

I've got my Flygon so I want pretty much everything else you can get in a 10k. Especially Dratini, I missed the community day and never see them so I'm missing Dragonair and Dragonite from my dex.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Epi Lepi posted:

Just be glad Skarmory and Sudowoodo and other garbage don't hatch out of 10ks anymore

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Missing Dratini and Larvitar community day is a hole in my heart

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FistEnergy posted:

same but mareep, charmander and bulbasaur

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One of my local PoGo buddies theorized that they're using this event as an opportunity to distribute Mewtwo more widely while they disable EX raids and work out all the bugs and add new features to it (EX pass sharing).

It's either that, or they're scrapping EX raids entirely... Or maybe they change nothing after all. :lol:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DizzyBum posted:

Or maybe they change nothing after all. :lol:

it's this btw

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

same but mareep, charmander and bulbasaur
same but all of these

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

After all the Go-Tcha chat, I ordered one which arrived today. Slightly confusing but ultimately painless setup. Took it out for a walk and came home with all kinds of extra mons that I’d normally never bother to catch which meant I had all this candy and stardust that I’d never normally get. This rules. It makes it easier for me to just go out and take long walks without pausing constantly which means the game and me trying to get more healthy are totally compatible where they were sometimes working in concert and sometimes getting in each other’s way before.

The chat got me to buy one yesterday, and I agree that it rules! Looking forward to taking it running and running rather than run-check phone-stop-run.

(Also, I figure that $44 is a lot cheaper than the cost of fixing my wrecked car when I can’t inevitably help myself from looking at my phone as I drive.)

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm excited for Mewtwo just because I live in a town without a single sponsored gym so I have never seen an EX raid or pass. The complainers will get over it

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pez posted:

I'm excited for Mewtwo just because I live in a town without a single sponsored gym so I have never seen an EX raid or pass. The complainers will get over it

do you live in a town without a single park also?

because that's plausible - I've seen some hosed up town zoning - and also not cool if true

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that you can get an EX raid pass, show up to an organized event, and then whiff all your throws on Mewtwo and fail to catch it really grinds my gears about the current system. Bringing Mewtwo to normal raids during a time-limited window is absolutely the right call, pokegrognards be damned.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I agree with you fully, but how do you whiff every ball? Maximise the # of balls you get with (small raid group, same color team,etc) , wait to throw till it attacks, and have someone else throw if you can't hit it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah missing Charmander day sucks too. I have caught 6300 Pokemon and I have seen 13 of them total.

On a related note, in Cleveland every "catch 5 fire types for a Silver Pinap" quest gets dunked in the trash immediately

:dunkedon:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah missing Charmander day sucks too. I have caught 6300 Pokemon and I have seen 13 of them total.

On a related note, in Cleveland every "catch 5 fire types for a Silver Pinap" quest gets dunked in the trash immediately

Can't you just go to the river for that?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
har har

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

I had to dunk "make 3 nice catches in a row" because apparently I can make 10 great curves in a row against legendary birds but 3 nice catches is too much to ask this noob for.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Charmander shows at rivers? Suicidal bastard.

I am really hoping EX raids are over with, but they're probably just switching out the mon.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

tangy yet delightful posted:

I had to dunk "make 3 nice catches in a row" because apparently I can make 10 great curves in a row against legendary birds but 3 nice catches is too much to ask this noob for.

...You know that punching above counts for the quest, right? Aka you get progress for "three nice throws" if you throw greats. It doesn't have to be the specific throw, just that or better.

Moltres day was okay. We got off track somehow so ended up only doing 21~ raids but got 8 shinies between two accounts(including one 93%!), and 3 98's.

I'm personally hype for Mewtwo month. I can not get a good one on my main to save my life; out of 17, none have been higher than 88%. If you include my alt, which has two 91's, that's 2 over 90 IV Mewtwo out of 31 raids. Its become a joke with my local group how bad my luck has been.

Siets posted:

The fact that you can get an EX raid pass, show up to an organized event, and then whiff all your throws on Mewtwo and fail to catch it really grinds my gears about the current system. Bringing Mewtwo to normal raids during a time-limited window is absolutely the right call, pokegrognards be damned.

It's not the system's fault if you can't throw well enough to hit the pokemon(unless "whiff" means something different where you are from?). Mewtwo has double the base catch rate of other legendaries, doesn't move around much, and is pretty easy to hit?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Psychobabble! posted:

...You know that punching above counts for the quest, right? Aka you get progress for "three nice throws" if you throw greats. It doesn't have to be the specific throw, just that or better.
Yeah I'm aware, just had a terrible time because of the quest and couldn't get 3 of anything in a row to save my life, even with using regular balls and nanabs to maximize my chances on what should have been easy mons to hit nice or better on.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I just started trying to get EX passes in July, since then have gotten five, and was able to use four. Once I plugged into my local discord channel, it became easy and I probably could get all the mewtwos I could want (though I don’t work in the summer, which made weekday raids possible.)

Having said that, the EX system is dumb and I wouldn’t be sorry to see it go.

I live in a small town with a main village area where everyone meets (the rest of the town is very spread apart, there's zero reason to go there if you don't live there, and since most of our local players only have a bus it's unmanageable for them to get elsewhere).

There are zero EX-raid eligible gyms in the village. There's one about a five minute walk away, but it's in the middle of a golf course, so it's completely unusable during daytime hours between Easter and Thanksgiving, and in the winter you usually have to go through 2 feet of snow to get to it.

We're all very happy to see Mewtwo, literally none of us, including many level 40 players, have one yet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Psychobabble! posted:

It's not the system's fault if you can't throw well enough to hit the pokemon(unless "whiff" means something different where you are from?). Mewtwo has double the base catch rate of other legendaries, doesn't move around much, and is pretty easy to hit?

Whiff can be used generally to describe trying to do a thing and not doing the thing.

Like I had an EX pass for Mewtwo a couple weeks ago, hit nine throws with a golden razz at great or better, and he broke free of all of them. So I whiffed on him.

You know how some people were talking about getting RNG hosed for getting EX passes in general? Same thing, really. Just because he has a higher base catch rate doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to catch him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Y'all are curve balling, right?

Just checking.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
more people having mewtwo doesn’t take anything away from you

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Willsun posted:

Got a 97% Mewtwo so I'm ready to quit this psychic lasagna cat and start on the not-relevant-meta Deoxys if they ever change the EX raid. I'm really happy to see a lot of locals finally get Mewtwo after these few rounds of holding them on Sunday.

I wasn't really aware of whatever this Ultra Bonus thing is until all the chatter today, and so many people are guessing wild things about what Niantic will release tomorrow. We're about due for gen 4 but I ain't getting my hopes up.

http://garfemon.tumblr.com/

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Mustached Demon posted:

Y'all are curve balling, right?

Just checking.

99% of time. That extra 1% is too much :effort:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Psychobabble! posted:

Every throw I made on Mewtwo was great or excellent curveball, while he was also golden rasp'd but he still ran on me.

Birdstrike posted:

more people having mewtwo doesn’t take anything away from you

Tell that to the rear end in a top hat who had 15+ but still refused to let me keep the gym for the extra balls, despite his team also having a guaranteed damage bonus.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I've been to 16 Mewtwo raids and 2 have run from me despite hitting them with curve balls inside the circle every time. It happens to the best of us, especially if there's a large group and you're on the minority team and don't get many balls to work with.

FistEnergy posted:

Soloed my first Machamp raid. 50 seconds to spare too! Finally added him to my Dex :unsmith:

Congrats! That's a lot of extra time. What level are you, what did you use, and did you have a weather boost?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Having no Pokemon experience outside of GO, what is the reasoning for assuming the next Ex-Raid will be Deoxys instead of Jirachi?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Jirachi follows the pattern of availability from Willow’s events in being a 100/6 little dude legendary.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Big McHuge posted:

Having no Pokemon experience outside of GO, what is the reasoning for assuming the next Ex-Raid will be Deoxys instead of Jirachi?

Jirachi is of the same tier of pokemon as Mew and Celebi, sharing the exact same base stats (100 across the board, 600 total) and being the cute little psychic type at the back end of the pokedex. I'm just assuming that Jirachi will be the subject of the next special mission set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I live in a small town with a main village area where everyone meets (the rest of the town is very spread apart, there's zero reason to go there if you don't live there, and since most of our local players only have a bus it's unmanageable for them to get elsewhere).

There are zero EX-raid eligible gyms in the village. There's one about a five minute walk away, but it's in the middle of a golf course, so it's completely unusable during daytime hours between Easter and Thanksgiving, and in the winter you usually have to go through 2 feet of snow to get to it.

We're all very happy to see Mewtwo, literally none of us, including many level 40 players, have one yet.

You live in some former Olympic village, I assume from the 2010 Olympics, right? A lot of your gifts are an Olympic village something or other.

• Locked thread