Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

aren’t they just button cells you can get in any pharmacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TK-42-1 posted:

Getting your keys out of your pocket/purse is annoying.
what the hell lmao

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

aren’t they just button cells you can get in any pharmacy?

the fob is a sealed unit as far as I can tell. no obvious screw holes or ways to open it without breaking it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the little rechargeable button cells in late 90s bmw fobs work perfectly as backup batteries for 90s ham rigs. i guess everybody was like HEY RECHARGEABLE 3V LETS USE THIS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
i don't know what kind of penalty they apply on your lease if you turn it in with a hosed up key fob, but aren't those usually just plastic tabs and pressure fit holding them together?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jit bull transpile posted:

the fob is a sealed unit as far as I can tell. no obvious screw holes or ways to open it without breaking it.

is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OCmg1TReCQ

I had to do something similar to my Honda fob. took a few minutes but all the written descriptions were garbage so I had to YouTube it up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shifty Pony posted:

is it this one?

I had to do something similar to my Honda fob. took a few minutes but all the written descriptions were garbage so I had to YouTube it up.

yes. thx for the link.

I still think keyless start is dumb whizbang bs

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

convenience almost always comes at the cost of some amount of security

keyless fobs are at the far end of that scale

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

also i have an incredible amount of irrational hatred for the word fob

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jit bull transpile posted:

yes. thx for the link.

I still think keyless start is dumb whizbang bs

I suspect it is being pushed by car manufacturers at least partially in response to the Chrysler ignition switch trouble.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
look everybody's car already required a stupidly expensive digital authentication chip in the key since the early 2000s, so why not have things take advantage of the computer chip by not requiring you to turn the thing

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Jonah Galtberg posted:

somehow still better than dongle

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Shifty Pony posted:

I suspect it is being pushed by car manufacturers at least partially in response to the Chrysler ignition switch trouble.

That was General Motors

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i was driving my saturn down the highway at 75mph when the keys fell out and my steering wheel locked and there was a turn coming up

needless to say my seat was no longer blue

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i was driving my saturn down the highway at 75mph when the keys fell out and my steering wheel locked and there was a turn coming up

what the gently caress

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i was driving my saturn down the highway at 75mph when the keys fell out

:stare:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
a different kind of car company. a different kind of car

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

one time when i was a teenager i pulled a bit on the steering wheel on my old 80s chevy cavalier and it came out a bit. i pushed it back in before it came out all the way lol and just kept goin'

few months later when we had to get it up on the trailer to tow it, mom reached up and pulled on the steering wheel and *pop* out it came and she was instantly "nope you are not driving that car ever again"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Beamed posted:

what the gently caress

this was in the middle of the recall too, so i took it right to the dealer and told them what happened and i had a free rental car for 5 months because the part was backordered and i told them if i drive that car and die the prepare ur butts for a literal billion dollar lawsuit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my ghost will sue you

the five most effective words in american english

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beamed posted:

what the gently caress

Yeah, that particular one was a known issue across like the entire GM product line

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

iospace posted:

Yup. Especially when trains are used to ship cars nationwide. How does Tesla expect to deliver mass amounts of cars to say, NYC, if there's no train line?

autopilot obviously

quote:

I mean, they're going "Well, we only make the cars when the order comes in", which leads to facepalms around the industry.

just in time compilation works great for computers why not cars

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Jonah Galtberg posted:

The German word is Fernbedienung. Don't know if that's more convenient

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

"remote/remote control" or "thing" does the job

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jonny 290 posted:

what the hell lmao

maybe TK-42-1 lives in the BW infomercial world?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shifty Pony posted:

is it this one?

I guess I'm more of a weirdo than I realized because I just take stuff like that apart for fun/to see how it goes together. maybe I should make YouTube videos of it to get some penny shavings for the trouble too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonah Galtberg posted:

"remote/remote control" or "thing" does the job

i say thinger

"hand me the thinger for the whatchamacallit"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

E: nvm

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

i say thinger

"hand me the thinger for the whatchamacallit"

they call em thingers but i’ve never seen em thing

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

correct me if i'm wrong, but every single car i've ever seen with a fob key has a slot somewhere in the car potentially in the glovebox where you can plug the key in to use your car even if the fob battery is dead. some also charge the fob.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

correct me if i'm wrong, but every single car i've ever seen with a fob key has a slot somewhere in the car potentially in the glovebox where you can plug the key in to use your car even if the fob battery is dead. some also charge the fob.

With Mazdas you can literally remove the key from the fob and just use that to drive to the store to get the replacement battery for $1.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i don't want "fob", god dammit! i'm a dapper van man!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

President Beep posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

is it this one?

the keyfob on my honda was super easy. you take the key out, put it in a notch between the two halves of the fob, and twist and it comes apart and you just swap the battery and snap it together.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do regular car companies with EVs give guidance on how long the batteries will last before needing replacement? i know they probably have good tech to keep capacity up compared to (say) a cell phone, but still li-ion is gonna wear down eventually right

I mean, you're basically describing a warranty

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
expected usable life on good car batteries is ~10 years, they're supposed to retain at least 80% capacity that long.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

motorcycle batteries only ever lasted me a year or two at most and car batteries tend to die almost immediately after their 1-3 year warranty expires.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Truga posted:

expected usable life on good car batteries is ~10 years, they're supposed to retain at least 80% capacity that long.

The point its that the actuaries that calculate warranty periods are intentionally trying to push that number as big as possible before the failure rate spikes and start costing them a fortune, so look at the warranty duration and add maybe a year or two on that for for "standard use" (10k miles/yr I think?)