Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
China is like England and the opposite of America. Southern = good and northern = bad. Cantonese is the best Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hakimashou posted:

China is like England and the opposite of America. Southern = good and northern = bad. CantoneseSichuanese is the best Chinese.

ftfy

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I still remember the first guy that got banned in this thread for poo poo talking southern Chinese food for being inauthentic abc poo poo and he was proud of his 地三鲜 :rip:

Honestly just appreciate whatever regional cuisine because food is very personal and subjective. And our palates shifts as we age, I never liked spicy food as a kid but nowadays it’s growing onto me.

I know people who grew up in landlocked areas and they never ate much seafood but moving to the coasts changed that.

And even if you have the fanciest Chinese cuisine chefs in Macau using grouper and all kinds of expensive fish and chili, their Sichuan food is still off.

I still don’t know why eastern China can make much better 小笼包。 then the quality just jumps off the cliff and you hit din tai fong territory.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Disanxian owns though.

make disanxian every day!!!! I made this the other day.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Taima posted:

Kenji's pressure cooker pho ga is pretty good:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html#comments-27542

Doing some kind of chicken pho with a pressure cooker is probably about as easy as you'll get while retaining proper flavor. Probably best to forget about beef pho.

Thanks! Out of curiosity, why forget about beef broth?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

10 Beers posted:

Thanks! Out of curiosity, why forget about beef broth?

Because you asked for easy. Beef pho broth is going to take a day minimum.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Taima posted:

Kenji's pressure cooker pho ga is pretty good:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html#comments-27542

Doing some kind of chicken pho with a pressure cooker is probably about as easy as you'll get while retaining proper flavor. Probably best to forget about beef pho.

Would the broth freeze well from this recipe? I just realized I have 90% of the ingredients for this!

Also, does a star anise "pod" just mean the entire star anise, I'm assuming?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What’s so fresh from the ground? Oh famine food starches :downsrim:

I kid I kid.

I am quite mad at the current Chinese food shows. A bite of China has turned into a product placement boring food show.

Now a show about potatoes and then Li family in Lanzhou making potato cakes!!!!

:suicide:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don’t get me wrong, potatoes can taste really good, like that people’s diner in Chengdu where I don’t know how they can loving make potatoes that heavenly good.

It’s just that the show lacks deeper substance or explanation about the food.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Grand Fromage posted:

Because you asked for easy. Beef pho broth is going to take a day minimum.

Gotcha. Is it because it's harder to Lee h the gelatin out of the beef bones? And if someone has a relatively easy beef pho broth can you post that? Slowly convincing my wife to get an Instant Pot, so I'll need some things to make.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

10 Beers posted:

Gotcha. Is it because it's harder to Lee h the gelatin out of the beef bones? And if someone has a relatively easy beef pho broth can you post that? Slowly convincing my wife to get an Instant Pot, so I'll need some things to make.

I've never made it so I don't have a recipe I could vouch for. You can definitely do it at home, it's just more of a weekend project. Pho ga isn't as much of a commitment.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Make bun Bo hue, once you add all the lemongrass and chili oil the delicate flavors of a lovingly simmered stock don't matter.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
I bought a box (well a jar that came in a box) of XO sauce on a whim. Can I just put it on rice? What are easy things to do with it, my cooking is pretty utilitarian.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Millow posted:

I bought a box (well a jar that came in a box) of XO sauce on a whim. Can I just put it on rice? What are easy things to do with it, my cooking is pretty utilitarian.

Yes, you can...you can also add it when baking fish, or meat, or vegetables, or noodles, it doesn't matter.
Just remember to not use too much, a spoonfull would be more than enough (teaspoon or tablespoon, depending on how much food you're cooking, lol)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What brand of XO is it? Have a small taste and see how savoury it is. If it’s too salty then go easy on the sauce and add small teaspoons.

Yeah you can add some to rice and eat it straight. Mix with veggies, or add some to your steamed tofu/egg/meat loaf.

Comedy option is to mix it up with some chicken stock and reduce and use it as a dip for potato chips like a Chinese meat salsa

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
what can I use suimiyacai in that isn't dan dan noodles??

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Goes great with red cooked pork.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I've had Pork Bao from restaurants before that had ya-cai in them, but I've not seen any recipes like that online for them. I bet you could pretty easily put one together yourself though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You use it in dry fried green beans, one of the greatest of vegetable dishes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They rule on nachos no lie.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

You use it in dry fried green beans, one of the greatest of vegetable dishes.

I use ganlancai in mine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I love it on congee.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can also mix it up with some unsalted peanuts and cashews.

Also great to go as a dried snack with beer.

There’s really no hard definition of XO so it really depends on the kind of sauce you have.

The more mainstream ones like Lee Kum Kee will have more of an oily saucy base. Whereas fancy pants restaurant have a drier sauce and more dried scallops and freshly diced chilies with fried chilies. Some places also add some dried fish flakes or even bonito for a bit of crunch.

I think the key magical ingredient would be the amount of dried scallops for that fishy aroma and you can mix it up with some low heat dried chilies.

Alright I’m going for dim sum and I’m going to take a picture and post it here. See you guys in a bit

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 15, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I saw this guy linked in another thread and I've been obsessively watching his videos. I'm sure he's been mentioned here before but it's great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6LizZVFEGg

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AnonSpore posted:

I saw this guy linked in another thread and I've been obsessively watching his videos. I'm sure he's been mentioned here before but it's great stuff.

Same.

The way he just slings around a liter of 200 degree oil in that wok nearly gives me anxiety attacks though.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Dried scallop is one of the most delicious things in the world, and the main thing I miss about being in China/HK.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

This is loving great. Could watch these all day.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Xo on the left, Guilin hot sauce (aka penguin) on the right.

XO had pretty good scallops and faint spice but it’s not too fragrant

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
alright how do i make this amazing stuff:

i had this cucumber salad at an xi'an noodle place in seattle and it seems easy enough to make at home

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's a billion different riffs on pickled cucumbers in Chinese cuisine.

I like this one.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I like it in fried rice, too.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Need to ask but any choice hot and sour soup recipes that are authentic and you know for sure is delicious? I go online and see vast differences in ingredients.

Oh and maybe a hot braised shrimp?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you mean authentic takeout hot and sour:

https://thewoksoflife.com/2013/10/hot-sour-soup/

The Woks of Life is my first stop for most Chinese cookery.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

American takeout hot and sour soup is pretty much the same as it is in Sichuan. It's not a particularly common soup but I had it a couple times and it was a nice taste of home. I kinda suspect it isn't Sichuanese though, considering how rarely I ran across it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That re how posted above looks good but for some reason I had it my head that hot and sour uses black vinegar.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i was jonesin for some H&S soup a week or two ago and hit up my local chinese noodle place and they offered a version of it with hand-pulled noodles :getin:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That re how posted above looks good but for some reason I had it my head that hot and sour uses black vinegar.

Worth trying. I wouldn't use white vinegar at least, go with rice vinegar. Though I'm not sure the difference would be noticeable.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve always heard the same. Black vinegar’s pretty mild so you may need to use more than most other vinegars.

Never tried them side-by-side so I can’t speak to any difference in flavor in the end product.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I found a video a long time ago with some Chinese grandma explaining how she makes hot and sour. I can't find the video but I did replicate it to the best of my ability here: https://imgur.com/a/lFbl8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wood ear mushrooms have no flavor at all so if you can't find 'em don't worry about it. They're just kind of squishycrunchy. The shiitakes are a lot more important.