Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"Super redundant" is how I'd describe a lot of manga version, sadly. There's a real economy of story telling that was lost in the adaptation, and I feel like the addition of so much exposition can only serve to cut off the later emotional impact at the knees.

It's really a shame, because there are a lot of story differences between the two that are really interesting! I just reread through the Monster Association arc of the webcomic a few days ago, and the whole dynamic behind it was significantly different:

1) The Monster Association hadn't announced itself to as great a degree, and so none of the heroes on the raid were prepared. These heroes who had considered themselves completely invulnerable suddenly have to come to term with their own limitations and mortality. (And Psykos purposely matches each hero up against an opponent they're unequipped to defeat.)
2) The Heroes Association intended to send every available S-class hero on the raid. Many don't show up, because S-class heroes are largely unreliable. Metal Knight specifically is called out as being able, but unwilling.
3) This lead into Garou's presumption that the heroes are, as a whole, cowards and hypocrites, which blinds him to his own hypocrisy. This dishonesty within himself then limits him, and prevents him from measuring up to Saitama, who is quick to recognize bullshit.

Compare that to the manga, where:

1) Everyone knows and understands the threat of the Monster Association. Even S-class heroes are aware of and respect the threat they pose.
2) Many of the S-class heroes are explicitly incapacitated, with Metal Knight ('s main body) specifically shown to be defeated.
3) And this will presumably lead to Garou coming to his conclusion from a different angle once we finally get there.

I'm not pointing this out to claim that the webcomic's story is better than the manga, but just to point out how they're different in key ways. I'm fascinated to know how the manga version's story will tell it's story. I just wish it would actually get on with it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tbf Metal Bat in particular was a weird "why isn't he there" outlier, so it makes sense to give him a little sidestory

everyone else can be written off pretty easily

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
I find it interesting that while yes, there are unreliable heroes, some of the most reliable are the most insane. Blizzard comes to kind first and formost for me; She's arguably an insane loose cannon, but also in her own strange way, the most reliable and consciencious of the hero ideals, like watching out for civilians. Ironically, her biggest weakness seems to be her lack of faith in others and her belief that she needs to handle everything herself.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You sure you're not thinking of Tornado there? Though, I don't know if i'd call her all that heroic. Reliable certainly, but she's not really that good a person.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

"Super redundant" is how I'd describe a lot of manga version, sadly.

Now that you mention it, I thought the addition of Fubuki to the dine and dash scene was really redundant and pointless. It muddled an otherwise simple and classic joke

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You sure you're not thinking of Tornado there? Though, I don't know if i'd call her all that heroic. Reliable certainly, but she's not really that good a person.

She takes the job really seriously at least, she's just also pretty abrasive in person

That whole thing where she tried to break up her little sister's hero group was just mean tho

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah my bad, I meant the Tornado. I have a hard time keeping their names separate.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Blizzard is B, B is for BESTO GARL

Tornado is T, T is for Tiny Troll.

There you go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blizzard is Big.

Tornado is tiny.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Honestly, I kinda growing cold on the Murata version. The latest chapters was pretty boring and all this backstory and additional material really kills the pacing.

I imagine if you've only read the Murata version, it's still exciting, but yeah. I prefer the ONE version. It's funnier, it doesn't drag, and it's more consistently about Saitama as a super powered protagonist with a bunch of weirdo side characters to keep things interesting. Murata's version has much better action, but the added material is more filler than anything, and ends up making Saitama a side character in his own series. They try to fix this with things like Elder Centipede, but that just ends up being an awesome King moment with a side of Saitama.

Somebody in the Murata thread pointed out that Garou feels more like the protagonist now since he's had several chapters dedicated to his point of view, which is also true in the ONE version but the Garou chapters were much shorter and more evenly paced there. Like, originally it was some random kid he saw being bullied that got kidnapped, but now it's the same kid who helped him before, so he's tried to save the kid from both monsters and heroes, and it's like, what did running into that kid twice add? Well, it makes Garou more sympathetic and clears his motivations up a lot, since at this point in the ONE manga he's still struggling between wanting to be a monster and not really wanting to kill people, but in the Murata version it's clear he doesn't want to be a monster nor kill people, which really muddies up the narrative.

I swear if the next chapter tries to show Garou sneaking into the monster's base it will have lost all sense of proper pacing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Frankly we need the murata version because it's the only one getting any updates

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Garou getting more screentime is good, just that that stuff and stuff that is also kind of neat like the tournament dude and other heroes fighting and poo poo just alll end up being probably like 50% longer than anything needs to be.

Murata really loves drawing put cool fight scenes which are visually impressive as hell but also kind of decompress the tight pacing the original version has.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like the pacing is fine. It's a far larger product in general, but it allows for a more shonen-esque attachment to Your Favorites, which isn't bad. The only issue the loss of tightness will bring is that baiting us with Saitama-Is-Almost-Here won't be as effective.

...unless the redraw dedicates 12 updates or more on that segment.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The side characters are all very good so having more focus on them is not a bad thing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Monster Association arc in the wecbcomic had great pacing, and I really feel that the manga introduced Gyoro and the MA big players much too early.
The idea was that the S-classes all rush in foolishly, thinking they can take it easily, it makes it have less of an impact and makes it feel more like idiocy rather than arrogant foolishness if you had multiple S classes square off against the MA and not get off scot free prior to the raid. IMO if the fights were curbstomps Itd be much better for the pacing.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 3, 2018

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Frankly we need the murata version because it's the only one getting any updates

It's probably getting few updates cause ONE is having trouble coming up with the next Big Arc for the story, writer's block has reared its ugly head

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Parrotine posted:

It's probably getting few updates cause ONE is having trouble coming up with the next Big Arc for the story, writer's block has reared its ugly head

Well shucks. Can't blame him, though. Tatsumaki arc was p. great.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That reminds me,

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Good to see Saitama putting the trash where it belongs.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Parrotine posted:

Wouldn't be too surprised. The next major arc, or maybe the one after, will have to culminate in Saitama getting to a high A-Rank leading into the Sweet Mask arc at last.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Parrotine posted:

But didn't ONE set up the new arc by introducing a new Hero Association group?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I think there haven't been any updates to the webcomic because it's just ONE's hobby and he's got other things to worry about like updates for the manga, season 2 of the anime, and whatever thing he'll be working on after Mob Psycho.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

I think there haven't been any updates to the webcomic because it's just ONE's hobby and he's got other things to worry about like updates for the manga, season 2 of the anime, and whatever thing he'll be working on after Mob Psycho.

p. much this yes, he's probably just writing for the manga now

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

p. much this yes, he's probably just writing for the manga now

Tbf he could just take the storyboards and post them as the webcomic, since the storyboards these days are only marginally lower in quality than the later volumes of the webcomic

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

But didn't ONE set up the new arc by introducing a new Hero Association group?

Set up and delivery are not the same thing

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I do wonder if ONE isn’t just saving all his ideas for murata to eventually draw

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
It seems like the manga is taking a different enough path from the webcomic that he probably spends the time he did on the webcomic drawing new storyboards for the manga.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, the strike for the monster base has pretty much begun in the Murata redraw. I forget, but Genos is completely out of the picture after the centipede in the original, right? If so, I think the Murata version is gonna have him literally sit out the entire final battle by just sitting in the apartment, waiting for Saitama with his new shiny limit-break super armor. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah he gets (very) quickly wrecked by Garou.
Also am I the only one whos thinking theyve set it up strangely? iirc the S rank meeting and the assault after in the webcomic was
"hey theres a monster org"
"they cant be too tough"
---
"Hey they arent so tough"
"Yeah yeah lets go clean them out and get back to-BLARFGH"

E: there are multiple posts on this page complaining about pacing

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 23, 2018

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It'll be fine from now on, but ONE really needs to get going, cause there's barely an arc after this one.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mordaedil posted:

It'll be fine from now on, but ONE really needs to get going, cause there's barely an arc after this one.
I don't think ONE is going to continue his own version, honestly. Now that he's working on a manga version with someone like Murata, there's not much reason to continue the webcomic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

I don't think ONE is going to continue his own version, honestly. Now that he's working on a manga version with someone like Murata, there's not much reason to continue the webcomic.

I get that exact same impression. He could write ahead alone, or just keep cooperating with Murata the same way he's doing now.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

ONE has hundreds of new chapters but he only shows them to Murata to make more redraw

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Billzasilver posted:

ONE has hundreds of new chapters but he only shows them to Murata to make more redraw

We call this being a story board artist

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HAhahahah holy poo poo I forgot those two

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

HAhahahah holy poo poo I forgot those two existed in the ONE version

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Murata redraw is fully it's own beast, now. It's hard to believe both versions are written by the same person.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
So is this version officially dead? It's been a while since the last update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Flashy Flash getting a really cool fight here is going to make the part where Saitama saves him later even better