Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Meanwhile I just replaced the 15 year old lead acid in my Toyota for the first time last year but lol its absurdly larger than even the biggest "compatible" one Napa would sell me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

President Beep posted:

i don't want "fob", god dammit! i'm a dapper van man!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mewse posted:

Imagine discovering the security system you're investigating was publicly compromised 13 years ago

....that's normal, unfortunately :smithicide:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The point its that the actuaries that calculate warranty periods are intentionally trying to push that number as big as possible before the failure rate spikes and start costing them a fortune, so look at the warranty duration and add maybe a year or two on that for for "standard use" (10k miles/yr I think?)
hmm, yeah the warranty on most nissan leaf batteries is 8 years, but only if they fail completely, lol. otherwise, it's only a free replacement if it loses more than 30% during the first 5 years/60k miles

quote:

If your battery capacity drops four bars within the first 60,000 miles or five years (whichever comes first), you are entitled to a replacement under the new-car warranty that Nissan provides with every Leaf
there's a total of "12 bars"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, I'm going to stick to hybrids like the Volt for now until we see what longevity with these different battery chemistries looks like under real world use

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lead acid batteries age by sulfatation which can be reversed with good chargers. They also don't age nearly as much when they are topped off regularly.

My bike batteries are between 3 and 10 years old. One of my cars developed an internal short in the battery last winter, but that was after 8 years of battery life.

Lithium button cells usually last me 5 years or so. I mostly replace them for good measure, not because they run out of juice.

Lithium accumulator aging mechanics are heavily dependent on charge rate, cutoff voltage for charging and depth of discharge.

For 4.2 volt cells, reducing the charge to 60 percent max will usually result in 10x the cycle capacity.

Lenovo suggests a 40-60 percent duty cycle for maximum lifetime. Most automotive applications do this in the background by reducing initial top off voltage of the battery and increasing it over time to maintain range level.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 11, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

they've got a solution to the battery aging problem though, just :tesla: the battery if it's getting old and blame user error or birds or whatever

mewse
May 2, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

Lead acid batteries age by sulfatation which can be reversed with good chargers. They also don't age nearly as much when they are topped off regularly.

My bike batteries are between 3 and 10 years old. One of my cars developed an internal short in the battery last winter, but that was after 8 years of battery life.

I just bought a bike+battery this year, it's conventional lead acid, bringing it inside and putting it on a trickle charger for the winter should keep it alive right?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mewse posted:

I just bought a bike+battery this year, it's conventional lead acid, bringing it inside and putting it on a trickle charger for the winter should keep it alive right?

that's what i've always heard. i suppose you should make sure not too much water evaporates from the cells too.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I have a garage in the house so I just put charging ports on the bikes and swap the charger around every couple weeks in the winter.

There are cheap trickle chargers wirh 1amp or so that will do plenty fine if you just leave them attached for storage. I only got bigger chargers so I swap them around and make sure the cars stay topped off as well.

Also i doubt that even if you use liquid acid that you have an open battery. Most of them are sealed from the factory nowadays so no worries about evaporation

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I live in a hot climate and car batteries die quickly here. Like, 2-3 years each.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

mewse posted:

yes but also the self-discharge rate on lead-acid is slow enough that you really only need the trickle charge to reverse sulfication. You're safe to put it in storage at a full charge and leave it over winter in a climate controlled area.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

I have a garage in the house so I just put charging ports on the bikes and swap the charger around every couple weeks in the winter.

There are cheap trickle chargers wirh 1amp or so that will do plenty fine if you just leave them attached for storage. I only got bigger chargers so I swap them around and make sure the cars stay topped off as well.

Also i doubt that even if you use liquid acid that you have an open battery. Most of them are sealed from the factory nowadays so no worries about evaporation

It's definitely open, it shipped dry and I had to add the acid myself. It's got a vent hole.

Not a big deal because you can see the acid line thru the translucent plastic and topping it up with distilled water should be super easy if I ever have to.

I've got one of those cheapo trickle chargers, I'll probably leave it hooked up the entire winter.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Wow the last time I saw one of those was in 2007 when I still had a 50ccm scooter. Well the good thing is that you can check, refill and care for the electrolyte which will enhance its lifetime. Just make sure to spray some protective wax around everything close to the vent line couplings.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rep grahms
https://twitter.com/iamhubris/status/1039550632846393345

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
grahms secured

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

I laughed and also here's a flyby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ2oXD9DW2Q&t=177s

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hahahahahaha

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Congrats to Tesla for pissing off UP that much. That takes talent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
making cars in the tint

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I wonder by how much the factory land depreciated.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

iospace posted:

Congrats to Tesla for pissing off UP that much. That takes talent.

i really want to know what elon did to them

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

i really want to know what elon did to them

ceo of UP must be a pedo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I mean, you're basically describing a warranty

i meant it more in terms of scheduled maintenance. unless the bolt and leaf are designed to be crushed after the warranty runs out, it will be a new interesting thing to consider for long-time owners and for people who buy a used one

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Like, seriously, let's lay this whole thing out.

1. Cars are shipped in bulk from factory to distribution hubs, usually major cities. A single autorack unit train (meaning the whole thing is autoracks) can easily haul at least 500 cars. Your standard car carrier can only haul 9.
2. Railroad companies are EXTREMELY hesitant to rip up rail, and only if it's a completely unprofitable line with little to no chance of returning to profitability. Chances are they'll stick a semi-permanent derailer on it if they think the line is salvagable. Putting down brand new rail is a very expensive procedure, especially when switches are involved, because they are super expensive.
3. Railroads only sell land when they have zero intention of returning that line to service, forever. A lot of old main and longer branch lines tend to get turned into trails, but most business access lines get paved over.

So basically Musk pissed off Union Pacific so badly over whatever that they decided to rip up millions of dollar of rail, then salt the earth by selling the land.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I replaced my fob batteries. thank sa forums. thsaforums

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

eschaton posted:

autopilot obviously
I have no doubt that Musk already had this idea (or something like it)

“What if we make our cars drive from the factory to our customers houses? Why does something that drives needs to be carried huh ? We just need some energy stations spread out along the way, someone make it happen !”

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's so perfectly ~disruptive~ it hurts.

"psh we build cars, why should we pay someone else to deliver them when they can just deliver themselves!!! good thing I, big brain genius engineer elon musk am so smart to think of this completely flawless idea that those idiots at the OLD INDUSTRY car companies never would have thought of!! so what that the technology can't do that who cares we'll cross that bridge when we get to it now rip out those stupid railroads those union pacific trains are too yellow and I bit my tongue going over railroad tracks too fast when I was 4"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

iospace posted:

Like, seriously, let's lay this whole thing out.

1. Cars are shipped in bulk from factory to distribution hubs, usually major cities. A single autorack unit train (meaning the whole thing is autoracks) can easily haul at least 500 cars. Your standard car carrier can only haul 9.
2. Railroad companies are EXTREMELY hesitant to rip up rail, and only if it's a completely unprofitable line with little to no chance of returning to profitability. Chances are they'll stick a semi-permanent derailer on it if they think the line is salvagable. Putting down brand new rail is a very expensive procedure, especially when switches are involved, because they are super expensive.
3. Railroads only sell land when they have zero intention of returning that line to service, forever. A lot of old main and longer branch lines tend to get turned into trails, but most business access lines get paved over.

So basically Musk pissed off Union Pacific so badly over whatever that they decided to rip up millions of dollar of rail, then salt the earth by selling the land.

has anyone in major news organizations put this together yet because :tesla: :psypop:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hey guys, guess what? the brakes on the model 3s don't actually slow the car down.

https://twitter.com/orthereaboot/status/1039518510932783104

note, it's a model 3 not an X like it says in the first tweet

coincidentally, one built after they started skipping the brake finishing process. i wonder who could have predicted this outcome?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

has anyone in major news organizations put this together yet because :tesla: :psypop:

has anyone outside of the something awful forums said anything about this topic because at the moment i'm extremely skeptical

union pacific is a public company. there have to be people who are shareholders in UNP and also TSLA. and as noted, ripping up tracks is not something done on a whim. so if they were doing something as blatant as removing their association with a company as puffed-up and reported-on as tesla, i'd think at someone would have brought it up before

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hailthefish posted:

It's so perfectly ~disruptive~ it hurts.

"psh we build cars, why should we pay someone else to deliver them when they can just deliver themselves!!! good thing I, big brain genius engineer elon musk am so smart to think of this completely flawless idea that those idiots at the OLD INDUSTRY car companies never would have thought of!! so what that the technology can't do that who cares we'll cross that bridge when we get to it now rip out those stupid railroads those union pacific trains are too yellow and I bit my tongue going over railroad tracks too fast when I was 4"
ol musky's roadmap probably had the cars driving themselves to customers houses for delivery by now (18q4 by the latest)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

has anyone outside of the something awful forums said anything about this topic because at the moment i'm extremely skeptical

union pacific is a public company. there have to be people who are shareholders in UNP and also TSLA. and as noted, ripping up tracks is not something done on a whim. so if they were doing something as blatant as removing their association with a company as puffed-up and reported-on as tesla, i'd think at someone would have brought it up before

fwiw that video up the page shows that those tracks are fukken gone

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The tracks are definitely, observably gone, there hasn't been any conclusive proof posted about the RoW being sold though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

musk gets funnier when you read what he says like how ozzy talks to Sharon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sure, and that track removal has to be something that was discussed in UP meetings, so there are records somewhere of why they did it. assuming the job order doesn't literally say "lol get hosed lonny," what is their shareholder-facing justification for removing the spur to a huge car factory producing the most talked-about vehicles on the planet?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I cannot possibly think of a good reason to rip rail lines out of a factory. At all. And then turn that land into what looks like a gravel dump. Whatever happened there it was some galaxy brain level poo poo I'm guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Completely pulling nonsense out of my rear end here with nothing to back it up, but "they repeatedly assured us they had no interest whatsoever in making use of the line, at least not at a price that would make it worth continuing to operate" seems like a justifiable reason?

Presumably if the RoW was in fact sold it could have been sold to Tesla, and it's their dumbass decision to make a pile of garbage in the middle of it, who knows.